• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V redux (pc mod) is out now and I said wow!

Gjerven

Seems like a mod collection that doesn't really do anything new compared to existing mods (except gathering them). Good for those who hasn't modded GTA 5, and get to see what changes can be made.

I'll will try the road textures, but other than that I prefer the mods I have.

Seems like a mod collection that doesn't really do anything new compared to existing mods (except gathering them). Good for those who hasn't modded GTA 5, and get to see what changes can be made.

I'll will try the road textures, but other than that I prefer the mods I have.
Funnily enough, the author's previous mod was cancelled because he was apparently stealing stuff from other mods, though he claimed that people contributing to the mod were the ones responsible for it. Maybe he got permission this time.

I completely agree. The real-world ads, road textures, overall darkness to everything, and blue light filter completely kills this.

I don't understand why anyone would actively want real world ads in their GTA game, especially considering how games get flack when they include them. On another note, people always seem to mess up the "realistic feel" mods especially when all the light pollution most likely makes Los Angeles (Santos) pretty grey and bright at night.

Did the people bitching about HDR/saturation watch the video? There are 15 different reshades and I would guess you can use the original shaders, not sure how that would look though. There seem to be a lot of lighting changes like increased LoD on street lights. I'm going to try to play a bit of the game stock then install the mod and see how it goes.

Definitely don't want real life ads though.

Takuan

I'm also curious about the performance hit. I think it looks great, but the improved police tactics, gun handling, and vehicle handling are what I'm most interested in trying.

I'm also curious about the performance hit. I think it looks great, but the improved police tactics, gun handling, and vehicle handling are what I'm most interested in trying.

All of those things are handled by separate files, so you're definitely able to install just the stuff you want.

ultrazilla

I think many are missing the point somewhat. This isn't a graphics mod.

It's a total over-haul of the entire game from the ground up. Graphics being only *part* of the over-haul.

TBH, I think it looks impressive as hell. The physics being revamped and acting more natural, police 5 star response now brings the military, etc.

Will give it a go later and try to get it installed.

kanuuna

It is basically HDR and Saturation: The Mod.

That's pretty much 80% of the 'realistic lighting mods' for pretty much any PC title these days. Your average The Witcher 3 "Photoreal" "E3" "Lighting mod" is ReShade with every other knob turned to eleven. Bloom stacked on top of bloom, sharpening and then a bit of CA if the game didn't have that already.

I like ReShade, but I absolutely hate how some people 'sell' their setups in the internet.

I think many are missing the point somewhat. This isn't a graphics mod.

It's a total over-haul of the entire game from the ground up. Graphics being only *part* of the over-haul.

TBH, I think it looks impressive as hell. The physics being revamped and acting more natural, police 5 star response now brings the military, etc.

They've only ever showed off the graphics as if it's some be-all-end-all graphics mod when it looks like shit compared to VisualV.

If I'm listening to an advert for Pisswasser and I see a billboard for Budweiser then I am going to be pulled out of the experience. Might just be me though.

Gbraga

b3xe8ha.jpg

Well, one thing that stands out is that everything is noticeably darker. There always seems to be a desire with modders to make games harder to play by making it darker.
That said I'm curious and with my 1080 I should get decent performance with it.

If I'm listening to an advert for Pisswasser and I see a billboard for Budweiser then I am going to be pulled out of the experience. Might just be me though.

Understandable the good thing is you don't have to have the real life brands, you can pick and choose what parts of the mod you want active.

They've only ever showed off the graphics as if it's some be-all-end-all graphics mod when it looks like shit compared to VisualV.
The trailer in the OP shows the other changes this mod has made including changes to the police and physics system, so I'm not really seeing how they have only showed graphics and nothing else.

komplanen

Darker nights seemed neat. Road textures looked nice. Everything else just looked like "Look, mom! I turned all the post processing effects to 11!"

The physics and police aspects were overhauled by other modders a long while back now. Those things are nothing new. Calling it a total overhaul from the ground up is pretty strong hyperbole.

But then ReShade alone is worth it for GTAV. Vanilla game is very washed out and samey in its color space. Maybe "original view" is to try communicate grayness of every day life, how it's basically same and gray mass day after day. It still makes meh color space for game. Just like "dark and realistic" dudebro shooters use too much way too dark tones of colors.

Maybe to you reshade is worth it, to me, in this example, its akin someone blowing out the colours to game that had a perfect colour balance. It's pretty inconsistent and garish in the video and pics I seen so far.

Gta5 is nowhere near grey on the pc, having the extra sunny setting on mid day with the clear blue sky has some of the most gorgeous colours pop out on my monitor that I have seen in a game this gen, same goes for the deep green and brown colours of the forests in the game and the gorgeous orange glow and lighting colour space when at dusk. and spectacular purples, blues, oranges and yellows when the sun rises. The neon night light also steal the show with a whole array of colours.

Don't agree with your assessment with vanilla GTA 5 being 'grey' , maybe the last gen versions with the limited colour space and rgb capabilities coupled with last gen tech and output capabilities but the vanilla pc versions has fantastic use of colour and colour grading.

The real life ads actually seem to be pretty brillaint.

"K-Mart: We still exist."

"Visine: We know why your eyes are red."

It's taking GTA style satire and applying it to real-world stuff. I'll miss the Sprunk ads but I'm looking forward to seeing what this is all about.

But then ReShade alone is worth it for GTAV. Vanilla game is very washed out and samey in its color space. Maybe "original view" is to try communicate grayness of every day life, how it's basically same and gray mass day after day. It still makes meh color space for game. Just like "dark and realistic" dudebro shooters use too much way too dark tones of colors.
Vanilla game's colour palette is anything but samey. Even then, VisualV does a good enough job of enhancing it without overdoing it like with most ReShade presets.

Double posting here because this has just cropped up:
http://gtaforums.com/topic/792891-visualv/page-46#entry1069083501

So it seems that once again Redux is essentially a compilation of other peoples' work, using many similar values from VisualV but with that ugly Reshade filter on top.

It's funny because I remember the creator or Redux's first mod, Pinnacle of V, was also one of those overhyped things and that turned out to be stolen content. Redux got delayed and he kept promising that it's all his own work, and yet again it isn't.

EDIT: Maybe stolen isn't the right word but it's really unfair to plagarise work like VisualV that has been going on for months with little fanfare, then get all the credit and hype for this mod when it's barely his own work.

Double posting here because this has just cropped up:
http://gtaforums.com/topic/792891-visualv/page-46#entry1069083501

So it seems that once again Redux is essentially a compilation of other peoples' work, using many similar values from VisualV but with that ugly Reshade filter on top.

It's funny because I remember the creator or Redux's first mod, Pinnacle of V, was also one of those overhyped things and that turned out to be stolen content. Redux got delayed and he kept promising that it's all his own work, and yet again it isn't.

EDIT: Maybe stolen isn't the right word but it's really unfair to plagarise work like VisualV that has been going on for months with little fanfare, then get all the credit and hype for this mod when it's barely his own work.
Fucking LOL.
Funnily enough, the author's previous mod was cancelled because he was apparently stealing stuff from other mods, though he claimed that people contributing to the mod were the ones responsible for it. Maybe he got permission this time.

Top Bottom