• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sells 90 million units. 15 million in 2017 alone

N3DS

Take Two says GTA Online was the single largest driver of recurrent consumer spending during the past quarter. It's confirmed GTA Online will have more content updates. The game has now sold in over 90 million units worldwide!

For reference, this means that the game sold in 15 million units in the past year. This is 15 million units in 2017 for a game that came out in 2013. This means it outsold most games that launched in 2017, such as Battlefront II which sold in 7 million units in the year.

Absolutely bonkers a game that many years ago is still going so strong.

Only started playing this four months ago, got it for 20 bucks on PC. Never wanted to play it at 20fps on PS3, 60fps feels just right (and I only have an ancient 660GTX).

Went straight into GTA Online (after the mandatory GTA5-intro). Don't think I'll ever play through GTA5 story mode, Online is endless fun.

The racing is insane:

Last edited:
^yeah, it gets a lot of flack here for no SP DLC or the bad loading/lobbying...

but the variety of races, battle modes (various takes on battle royale, ctf, 'defense,' etc), or even just the co-op of doing some of the shootout missions or heists together can be a lot of fun.

plus it's got more content than every other GTA SP mode combined. the sheer amount of apartments, businesses, clothes, cars is pretty crazy. sad they don't add them to SP cuz a few of the single updates alone would make San Andreas blush.

granted, it's horribly balanced for RMT and GTA$ tho and kinda shoves them down your throat =( STOP CALLING ME RON I DONT WANT A HANGAR

that said, it's still one of my go-to weekly games: few Biker or CEO Org resupplies/deliveries a week, stunt races probably once a week, and then probably end up putting at least 30m in whatever the weekly 'deathmatch/adversary' mode is.

and for every 10 times (to highlight it _is_ still common) that my motorbike gets blown up by a flying car or jet, I also have a cool experiencing cruising around with casuals or role players haha. it's rare, but car meet-ups or 'drives' are pretty cool. just last week I was doing supplies and I saw a few guys cruising around in muscle cars, and they text me "we're cool if you're cool," so I went over to see them again with my own muscle car and we just went cruising up to Paleto Bay and back haha was kinda cool.

it's worth while to join an open co-op crew or something that regularly plays together, helps each other do missions, etc. IGN has one, Reddit has one, there's a few other big ones I think that are always at the top of the 'open crews' list. i solo myself but I think it's a good option for anyone that wants to avoid griefing/ganking.

gbbloke

Neo Member
We shouldnt be surprise if, at this rate, GTA VI will be a PS5 game. I think that the only game that R* is going to release this gen (not counting the GTA V port) is RDR2.

And I think that is a shame. We had a lot of great games last gen, with gems like Max Payne 3 or Midnight Club.

I really miss that R* 😭

Klik

We shouldnt be surprise if, at this rate, GTA VI will be a PS5 game. I think that the only game that R* is going to release this gen (not counting the GTA V port) is RDR2.

And I think that is a shame. We had a lot of great games last gen, with gems like Max Payne 3 or Midnight Club.

I really miss that R* 😭
They will release GTA 6 on ps4/x1 im.surr of it.They are making a smart move,instead of releasing it early in the console cycle they will release it near the end when the total userbase of ps4/x1 will probably be more than 150million.I really expect gta 6 in 2019 or 2020. Considering what incredible job they did with gta 5 on ps3/x360 with only 512mb ram and 256mb vram i'm eager to see what they did with GTA 6

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Those are crazy numbers! I hadn't realised it was that popular, especially amongst younger gamers until only a little while ago. I work in the educational sector and it's all you ever hear around students. I've seen GTA V wallpapers on phones, discussions on heists, cars and other activities. I do question the parents decision to allow their child to play so much of the game, but that's their decision I suppose.

It'll be worth keeping an eye on the sales number this year. Perhaps there will be a substantial decrease when Red Dead Redemption is released, seeing the rumours about the multiplayer components it will have, much like GTA does currently, will everyone migrate over?

Last edited:

dsier

Those are crazy numbers! I hadn't realised it was that popular, especially amongst younger gamers until only a little while ago. I work in the educational sector and it's all you ever hear around students. I've seen GTA V wallpapers on phones, discussions on heists, cars and other activities. I do question the parents decision to allow their child to play so much of the game, but that's their decision I suppose.

It'll be worth keeping an eye on the sales number this year. Perhaps there will be a substantial decrease when Red Dead Redemption is released, seeing the rumours about the multiplayer components it will have, much like GTA does currently, will everyone migrate over?

I don’t think so. Sure, some will but RDR2 is a much less “mainstream-friendly” game in terms of its setting and gameplay. It will still sell a staggering amount of copies I’m sure, but nowhere near GTA V’s numbers.

gbbloke

Neo Member
They will release GTA 6 on ps4/x1 im.surr of it.They are making a smart move,instead of releasing it early in the console cycle they will release it near the end when the total userbase of ps4/x1 will probably be more than 150million.I really expect gta 6 in 2019 or 2020. Considering what incredible job they did with gta 5 on ps3/x360 with only 512mb ram and 256mb vram i'm eager to see what they did with GTA 6
I didnt think of it that way, but it makes sense.

Any way, i would like to see more smaller games from this people like previous generations.

Breakage

Crazy numbers. I got my copy on launch back in 2013, and I've barely started it.

Nothing stops GTA.Doubtless, the next entry will do big numbers too.

Droxcy

I've purchased five copies of this game just for myself...360 Launch Collectors Edition, Xbox One, PS4, PC, PC. I don't regret any of them, my friends & I were some of the first people to hit level 100 when GTA ONLINE got released.

God Enel

Fucking amazing. DEserved even if I played only the sp years ago when it first hit the shelves on PS3. Just curious what are the people doing online several years after its release? Is it that much fun? If I remember correctly at release you could just do some coop missions? What have they added since that it's so long lasting and keeps people playing

Just curious what are the people doing online several years after its release? Is it that much fun? If I remember correctly at release you could just do some coop missions? What have they added since that it's so long lasting and keeps people playing
Import/Export is like true "Grand Theft Auto". You steal cars, then modify and sell them.
And then there's Stunt races and Transformation races.

pawel86ck

Banned
Only started playing this four months ago, got it for 20 bucks on PC. Never wanted to play it at 20fps on PS3, 60fps feels just right (and I only have an ancient 660GTX).

Went straight into GTA Online (after the mandatory GTA5-intro). Don't think I'll ever play through GTA5 story mode, Online is endless fun.

The racing is insane:

I had GTX 680 before, performance in gta 5 was good with default settings although I had to lower textures quality, otherwise I could see stuttering. I have also played xbox360 / ps3 version and game was playable, framerate was clearly improved compared to GTA4 (and even compared to GTA3/VC/SA).

jrolson

Looks like no more singleplayer DLC for future Rockstar games...

No point in making any when they're making this much money from online.

bufkus

I'm not surprised that GTAV continues to sell. It's a truly phenomenal game that never gets old, and the online component can be addicting.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

And then re-release it on the PS5 in 2022 so that we can buy it a 2nd time lol. And I'll do it too.

Never tried the online, but I beat the campaign once and am working through a second play through picking different options. I'm not much for online play though.

Blackie

This game is an unholy beast that will not die or slow down. Can't wait to purchase for the 2nd time (I hope soon) on Switch :D

Memnoch

The racing is insane:

I'm the opposite. Story mode only.

Just curious what are the people doing online several years after its release? Is it that much fun? If I remember correctly at release you could just do some coop missions? What have they added since that it's so long lasting and keeps people playing
Mostly revolves around either businesses, heists, or PvP modes.

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Category:GTA_Online_Content_Updates

So, PvP modes are essentially your deathmatching, battle royale, CTF/defense sort of things (tag you're it; sheep vs wolves; defend the plane/person/thing), and also various races but especially stunt races now. There's a sort of Hot Wheels mode, a Tron bike mode, but especially various stunt races and stunt track modes kinda like at the top of thread -- stunt races that zoom across a track hovering above the city.

Heists are basically just that, but I say 'heists' to include some of the co-op job missions that are also popular and also involve essentially a team of players, big shootouts, and stealing or destroying a vehicle of some sort. Basically, your co-op shootouts that kinda still take place in the normal open world rather than a deathmatch arena.

Businesses are mostly based around getting items and then selling items. So, you buy a business: CEO office, warehouses, biker club, weed farm or cocaine lockup, weapons bunker, smuggling hangar, etc. Then, you get items: buying coke, stealing coke, stealing crates, stealing cars, or otherwise basically getting X item that usually involves NPCs trying to kill you and taking it back to your business as other players try to kill you. Finally, you deliver the item, and that usually involves trying to drive a poorly/undefended vehicle of some sort from point A to point B before other players kill you (you get marked on the map and they get a small reward for griefing you).

It's the most 'busywork' part of GTAO but kinda the routine way to make money, especially solo, though perfect Heist teams are the best overall way. There's a big RPG part to it, too: you can buy warehouses all over town, different business types (coke, money laundering, meth, etc), buy CEO executive offices, low-end and high-end apartments and houses, biker clubs, etc.

For me it's the main reason I play routinely... it's monotonous gameplay but it's a fun little RP to kinda grow my contraband businesses, buy cooler apartments or more cars, etc. It's repetitive and slow, and kinda MMO/mobi in that regard, but if you ever liked kinda 'doing business stuff' in GTA SA like the trucker missions, the trafficking missions in GTA V, and buying new properties -- it's kinda like that but on steroids. Way more content but way more expensive and monotonous, too. There are a few pretty darn fun modes within it, but expect a lot of driving and praying no one bombs you lol. But it can be cool in a RP or MMO [progression] sort of way if you do it in moderation, and just sort of 'grow your empire.'

Last edited:
Import/Export is like true "Grand Theft Auto". You steal cars, then modify and sell them.
And then there's Stunt races and Transformation races.

Import/Export, run my cocaine business, then throw a Rooftop Rumble/Titan of a job, random pick up heists and the occasional survival.

GTAO is still good quality all these years later

God Enel

Mostly revolves around either businesses, heists, or PvP modes.

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Category:GTA_Online_Content_Updates

So, PvP modes are essentially your deathmatching, battle royale, CTF/defense sort of things (tag you're it; sheep vs wolves; defend the plane/person/thing), and also various races but especially stunt races now. There's a sort of Hot Wheels mode, a Tron bike mode, but especially various stunt races and stunt track modes kinda like at the top of thread -- stunt races that zoom across a track hovering above the city.

Heists are basically just that, but I say 'heists' to include some of the co-op job missions that are also popular and also involve essentially a team of players, big shootouts, and stealing or destroying a vehicle of some sort. Basically, your co-op shootouts that kinda still take place in the normal open world rather than a deathmatch arena.

Businesses are mostly based around getting items and then selling items. So, you buy a business: CEO office, warehouses, biker club, weed farm or cocaine lockup, weapons bunker, smuggling hangar, etc. Then, you get items: buying coke, stealing coke, stealing crates, stealing cars, or otherwise basically getting X item that usually involves NPCs trying to kill you and taking it back to your business as other players try to kill you. Finally, you deliver the item, and that usually involves trying to drive a poorly/undefended vehicle of some sort from point A to point B before other players kill you (you get marked on the map and they get a small reward for griefing you).

It's the most 'busywork' part of GTAO but kinda the routine way to make money, especially solo, though perfect Heist teams are the best overall way. There's a big RPG part to it, too: you can buy warehouses all over town, different business types (coke, money laundering, meth, etc), buy CEO executive offices, low-end and high-end apartments and houses, biker clubs, etc.

For me it's the main reason I play routinely... it's monotonous gameplay but it's a fun little RP to kinda grow my contraband businesses, buy cooler apartments or more cars, etc. It's repetitive and slow, and kinda MMO/mobi in that regard, but if you ever liked kinda 'doing business stuff' in GTA SA like the trucker missions, the trafficking missions in GTA V, and buying new properties -- it's kinda like that but on steroids. Way more content but way more expensive and monotonous, too. There are a few pretty darn fun modes within it, but expect a lot of driving and praying no one bombs you lol. But it can be cool in a RP or MMO [progression] sort of way if you do it in moderation, and just sort of 'grow your empire.'

Okay.. maybe i should give it a go when I buy my PS4 and find it for cheap. That's kinda insane. all of this comes with the main game? I don't have to pay extra for this stuff?

Yeah they're free updates, technically...

But in practice they're subsidized by RMT, hence the "GTA Online was the single largest driver of recurrent consumer spending during the past quarter." It's worth noting, most things you buy are pretty damn expensive and requiring a lot of business deliveries. It's balanced like leveling in a hardcore MMO that they expect you to play for months, not like a SP game.

Starting from scratch can be hard to make money so a lot of people treat buying your first million of in-game currency as a sort of '$20 DLC entry fee' to get your feet of the ground. They sell a 'starter pack' now too where you get 1 of some of the different businesses for a discount.

That said, you don't need to buy in-game money to start... Just you'll have to wait to do businesses. Just join Quick Jobs, do the popular money/shootout Jobs like Titan of a Job, and every week they usually have weekly deathmatches, stunt races, etc that give you bonus cash.

So if you just want to race and shoot stuff you can earn enough for your first business before too long. It'll be super slow if you do the low level jobs but if you do a lot of the weekly Adversary Modes, stunt races, etc, and Jobs like Titan of a Job, you'll have your first warehouse or business before long.

I wouldn't really worry about the 'money' either way... The modes and jobs are the most fun part anyhow, so just load in and start doing the coop/pvp stuff right away... worry about the businesses later if they interest you.

Last edited:
I had GTX 680 before, performance in gta 5 was good with default settings although I had to lower textures quality, otherwise I could see stuttering. I have also played xbox360 / ps3 version and game was playable, framerate was clearly improved compared to GTA4 (and even compared to GTA3/VC/SA).
Yeah it was impressive for a PS3 game but compared to the PC version the difference feels like between NES and SNES games.

t.13yopleeb
I'm probably older than you. The racing is skillbased competitive multiplayer just like SSF4, Rocket League or Chess. Never gets old.

I'm the opposite. Story mode only.
Surely there are a lot of fun stories that you get to see with the three main characters. But I rarely play games for their story and also prefer to use my own created character.

Import/Export, run my cocaine business, then throw a Rooftop Rumble/Titan of a job, random pick up heists and the occasional survival.

GTAO is still good quality all these years later
For money I just do Import/Export and Sightseer or Headhunter during cooldown. Not sure if I should get an MC business or bunker since they can get raided causing you to lose your whole stock. Vehicle warehouses can't get raided.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Yeah it was impressive for a PS3 game but compared to the PC version the difference feels like between NES and SNES games.

I'm probably older than you. The racing is skillbased competitive multiplayer just like SSF4, Rocket League or Chess. Never gets old.

Surely there are a lot of fun stories that you get to see with the three main characters. But I rarely play games for their story and also prefer to use my own created character.

For money I just do Import/Export and Sightseer or Headhunter during cooldown. Not sure if I should get an MC business or bunker since they can get raided causing you to lose your whole stock. Vehicle warehouses can't get raided.

Screenshot-2014-06-13-09.12.14.png

Sure there were some big differences, for example better grass (that's the biggest difference), but for me it wasnt like playing totally different game.

z4.jpg

ygz-gta5-ps3-ps4-pc-5.jpg

ygz-gta5-ps3-ps4-pc-8.jpg

On my old plasma PS3 720p picture quality looked sharp to me, and without screenshots comparison side by side it was hard to tell what I was missing on PS3. On PC my GTX 680 2GB couldnt runt this game at 1440p or 4K (I can now on my 1080ti), not to mention I had to lower texture resolution, so textures were blurry (even PS3 have better textures than PC version on standard settings). And the thing is, there was one thing that I really liked in PS3 version, it was far superior gamepad settings compared to PS4 and PC version. On PC and PS4 car steering sensitivity is too high and you cant steer nearly as precise (and it's impossible to tweak sensitivity settings just for cars on PC version).

Gta 5 on PS3 vs GTA SA, that was indeed huge difference in graphics

z3.png

pawel86ck

Banned
it looks like picture script here on neogaf doesnt work with every source :(. Here's gta 5 vs SA comparsion. That was indeed huge difference in graphics for me

image.png

Last edited:
Yes screenshots from the PS3 version are often astonishing. The problem was its framerate which was around 20fps with dips below.

Top Bottom