• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sells 90 million units. 15 million in 2017 alone

pawel86ck

Banned
Yes screenshots from the PS3 version are often astonishing. The problem was its framerate which was around 20fps with dips below.
You may laugh at this, but compared to previous GTA games, GTA 5 was very well optimized :p. Performance was like 26-30 fps most of the time (it's not like 20 dips were frequent), while in gta 4 performance was like 18-26 MOST OF THE TIME. I had problems playing gta 4 because of fps issue, but not GTA 5.

And GTA 3 on PS2 was even worse, constant pauses because of streaming issues, low framerate, but back then I still liked that game :)

Last edited:

noise36

Most people I know bought the game 2-3 times because of the staggered format release.

Would be nice if they released some DLC and a Pro/X1X patch. Save the next game for the new console generation.

pawel86ck

Banned
It runs great on the PS4 PRO
PS3 and xbox 360 had performance problems, not PS4 version (although I have not played PS4 version for that many hours compared to PC or PS3 version)

Most people I know bought the game 2-3 times because of the staggered format release.
I have bought, PS3 version, then PC verison (rockstar download), then PS4 version, then another PC version (steam download version on sale :p).

Last edited:
Only started playing this four months ago, got it for 20 bucks on PC. Never wanted to play it at 20fps on PS3, 60fps feels just right (and I only have an ancient 660GTX).

Went straight into GTA Online (after the mandatory GTA5-intro). Don't think I'll ever play through GTA5 story mode, Online is endless fun.

The racing is insane:

That isn’t racing. That’s cheating

Dimorphic

I’ve literally never booted up GTA Online and never will. I don’t want an online Grand Theft Auto, I want a hand crafted immersive single player experience.

You may laugh at this, but compared to previous GTA games, GTA 5 was very well optimized :p. Performance was like 26-30 fps most of the time (it's not like 20 dips were frequent), while in gta 4 performance was like 18-26 MOST OF THE TIME. I had problems playing gta 4 because of fps issue, but not GTA 5.

And GTA 3 on PS2 was even worse, constant pauses because of streaming issues, low framerate, but back then I still liked that game :)
Right after I my post I had to think about GTA3 which I played the hell out of. And Ocarina of Time is my all-time favorite. ;)
25+ fps actually sounds damn good for PS3. Still don't regret having waited this long. PS3 version had no stunt racing and Truffade Nero anyway back then.

That isn’t racing. That’s cheating
Good that it's impractical to do in a real race. But impressive what the GTA physics make possible:

Swizzle

Gold Member
It runs great on the PS4 PRO

Yes, but compared to GTA IV the animation and civilians/pedestrians AI seems to have suffered and sometimes the streets of such big wide and rich city environments seemed empty and abnormally under populated. I think the much faster CPU cores of next generation machines will allow for worlds that are far from just being prettier and >=4K in resolution... richer, more interactive, and more alive worlds. I do actually expect people pleasantly surprised by the first non cross generation games for the new consoles.

Yes, but compared to GTA IV the animation and civilians/pedestrians AI seems to have suffered and sometimes the streets of such big wide and rich city environments seemed empty and abnormally under populated. I think the much faster CPU cores of next generation machines will allow for worlds that are far from just being prettier and >=4K in resolution... richer, more interactive, and more alive worlds. I do actually expect people pleasantly surprised by the first non cross generation games for the new consoles.
I think they should be pretty close... downtown Vinewood in 5 should be pretty close to downtown Star Junction (Times Square) in 4. Vespucci Beach is probably close or better than either 4's downtown or its park, too, though that's probably because it's a more open beachfront (and why it's better than 5's downtown, even).

Online, it's worse... game badly needs a Pro/One X enhanced patch to improve GTAO closer to GTA5 ;\

AI though, yeah... granted, I think V's AI does get a little underappreciated ... e.g. that 'GTA4 is better than GTA5' video by crowbcat is a little inaccurate... it shows things like how cops can get shot in IV and start limping, sort of MGS2-3 style stuff; whereas it shows cops just die in 5... and while sadly it's the common NPC reaction, technically cops in 5 can also limp around and such after getting shot in the leg. it's rare but it happens. NPCs don't always die fast from melee, either. so, the video (and similar arguments) are accurate in general, technically some of those things do actually happen rarely in 5... to be sure, its AI still suffers from 4 but for some reason there are some more dynamic responses in 5 they're just oddly more rare.

^yeah, it gets a lot of flack here for no SP DLC or the bad loading/lobbying...

yeah i wish they would have added story dlc. i think it would have been so dope if they added like a cholo/chola story aspect to it. its like how the fuck can you make a game based on LA and not that have that hispanic aspect to it. that like IS the majority of the culture there and they totally ignored it. the but online is so fun

Only started playing this four months ago, got it for 20 bucks on PC. Never wanted to play it at 20fps on PS3, 60fps feels just right (and I only have an ancient 660GTX).

Went straight into GTA Online (after the mandatory GTA5-intro). Don't think I'll ever play through GTA5 story mode, Online is endless fun.

The racing is insane:

The story is surprisingly fun. It's typical Rockstar Americana, but it's a lot of fun.

Kadayi

Banned

Yeah, actual lack of foot traffic in the game is an issue for sure in terms of immersion.

EDMIX

You clearly haven't played Bayonetta 2 on switch. Very R rated. Same with Doom and Wolfenstein 2.

yea but, even the titles by that publisher like Fallout 76 , Rage 2 etc are skipping the system, clearly they didn't like the sales they saw from Doom, Wolfenstein etc and just called it quits, I think they will support it with smaller games, but I don't see them wasting more money if they can't make it back.

Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't coming to Switch, so why would GTAVI?

EDMIX

Nintendo should really try to get this on Switch

? Yea, I don't think its up to them. They made dated hardware, thus you will see limited releases on AAA titles like you see now, ie no Battlefront, Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Far Cry 5, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption etc so not sure how they would get it on Switch, if they have failed to get so much more already.

Maybe, just maybe its not up to them. The hardware is too weak and the teams maybe don't want to waste funds doing a port like that. Sony and MS don't need to "try to get" games on their systems, by default their systems are powerful enough to support the game. It would be like saying MS did something to "try to get" Battlefield V on XONE.....do you really believe EVERY YEAR Both Sony and MS are doing something to get those year, bi yearly etc games?

The hardware exist
The community exist and BUYS THE GAMES IN MILLIONS on those platforms, thus they exist. Sony and MS don't need to do much to convince a publisher to make money, Nintendo on the other hand lacks both, thus must beg, negotiate, make deals etc So when you say they should "try to get", understand even having to say that brings question to if this will ever see the light on Switch.

LOLCats

Banned

The racing is insane:

You're complaining about PS3 frames per second? The fact this game was done on the 360 and PS3 originally is a marvel. And uh they refreshed the game on the xbox one and ps4 and its again amazing. Seriously frame rates? You’re talking about frame rates on a 12 year old console?

Anyway that online race by yourself looks boring AF.

Also, To not play the story is blasphemy.

Last edited:

manfestival

I bought GTA 5 on release back in 2013 on PS3. Eventually double dipped 2018 for GTA 5 PC for 20 dollars.

However, I still do not understand what all these people are doing on GTAO. How in the world is it so profitable?!

cryptoadam

Banned
With all its sales Rockstar is still leaving money on the table by not putting it on switch. People who pick up a system (xbox/PS4) are still buying the game. Its basically the go to game to get for the system if you don't know anything else.

If it was on the switch thats another 10-20 million in sales guranteed. Can't imagine how much they would make off their shark cards or whatever they call it.

If its Nintendo, or Rockstar either which party is being stupid by not having this game out already. It ran on a PS3 and XBOX 360 it can run on a F'n Switch.

cryptoadam

Banned
no way are they gonna skip out on the double dipping and only release for next gen.

There is no way they are not going cross gen, it worked out so well for them.

GTA VI will be first released on Xbox and PS4. Then a 12-18 months later it will drop on PC and PS4 nextBox.

It worked to sell 90 Million copies of the last game you dang right they are doing that again.

cryptoadam

Banned
? Yea, I don't think its up to them. They made dated hardware, thus you will see limited releases on AAA titles like you see now, ie no Battlefront, Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Far Cry 5, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption etc so not sure how they would get it on Switch, if they have failed to get so much more already.

Maybe, just maybe its not up to them. The hardware is too weak and the teams maybe don't want to waste funds doing a port like that. Sony and MS don't need to "try to get" games on their systems, by default their systems are powerful enough to support the game. It would be like saying MS did something to "try to get" Battlefield V on XONE.....do you really believe EVERY YEAR Both Sony and MS are doing something to get those year, bi yearly etc games?

The hardware exist
The community exist and BUYS THE GAMES IN MILLIONS on those platforms, thus they exist. Sony and MS don't need to do much to convince a publisher to make money, Nintendo on the other hand lacks both, thus must beg, negotiate, make deals etc So when you say they should "try to get", understand even having to say that brings question to if this will ever see the light on Switch.

are you talking GTA V ? that game ran on PS3 and 360 it can run on a Switch. You could probably even get a downgraded version of the Xbox One version rather than the 360. So better frames and resolution than 360 with some better effects but not 100% one level.

I said in my post below but Rockstar is leaving money on the table. People would double dip to have portable GTA V. The game sold 15 Million and it was launched last gen. People just can't stop buying GTA and being able to play the full game 100% as is on the go would be a huge draw. If they launched it a year ago I bet they would of sold close to 5 Million by now.

EDMIX

are you talking GTA V ? that game ran on PS3 and 360 it can run on a Switch. You could probably even get a downgraded version of the Xbox One version rather than the 360. So better frames and resolution than 360 with some better effects but not 100% one level.

I said in my post below but Rockstar is leaving money on the table. People would double dip to have portable GTA V. The game sold 15 Million and it was launched last gen. People just can't stop buying GTA and being able to play the full game 100% as is on the go would be a huge draw. If they launched it a year ago I bet they would of sold close to 5 Million by now.

?? Ok, who said GTA V couldn't run on Switch? I'm talking about current gen titles in general, not GTA V alone and only GTA V. " Rockstar is leaving money on the table. "

Ok.....and? They left "money on the table" when GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA etc never came to DS, 3DS etc. Being able to be played on something doesn't = it doing well in sales. The community for Nintendo basically doesn't really buy that type of content comparied to PC, PS, XB etc. So you can use this arguement about any publisher ie " _______is leaving money on the table"

So add Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Capcom, Konami, Square, Sega etc. Not ever publisher is going to be FLOODING a system with games when the system has no history of moving units of certain types of games, so no, not everything will make them profit if ported, as to why you don't see many Japanese games on XONE and as to why you don't see......well many AAA on Switch, last gen or otherwise. It actually has very little to do if it can run, can it make money? Consider if hardware was THE ONLY issue, you'd see MORE Japanese games on XONE, heck it has enough to support those games, doesn't mean they will sell. Switch has enough to have all last gen games....doesn't mean it will sell. I don't know why you igored the point to cherry pick GTA V when my post clearly states hardware AND community as reasons for why Switch is lacking many games. Could GTA V come to Switch? Maybe, if it doesn't I'm not really surprised as we have a legit list of GTA games that didn't come to any Nintendo systems so......its not really just hardware bud. So I'm sure people would buy GTA V for a portable as they do for laptops, but you can argue this for every handheld to ever release, but every handheld has not received ALL the major last gen console games. Why would that suddenly change now?

EDMIX

Only thing that can take out Gta v off from the charts is Gta VI.

Agreed. Especially if GTA VI comes this gen and then again next gen. I think its very, very likely their other teams have been working on GTA VI for years. I'm doubtful that all teams are working on Red Dead 2, as all teams didn't work on Red Dead 1.

cryptoadam

Banned
?? Ok, who said GTA V couldn't run on Switch? I'm talking about current gen titles in general, not GTA V alone and only GTA V. " Rockstar is leaving money on the table. "

Ok.....and? They left "money on the table" when GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA etc never came to DS, 3DS etc. Being able to be played on something doesn't = it doing well in sales. The community for Nintendo basically doesn't really buy that type of content comparied to PC, PS, XB etc. So you can use this arguement about any publisher ie " _______is leaving money on the table"

So add Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Capcom, Konami, Square, Sega etc. Not ever publisher is going to be FLOODING a system with games when the system has no history of moving units of certain types of games, so no, not everything will make them profit if ported, as to why you don't see many Japanese games on XONE and as to why you don't see......well many AAA on Switch, last gen or otherwise. It actually has very little to do if it can run, can it make money? Consider if hardware was THE ONLY issue, you'd see MORE Japanese games on XONE, heck it has enough to support those games, doesn't mean they will sell. Switch has enough to have all last gen games....doesn't mean it will sell. I don't know why you igored the point to cherry pick GTA V when my post clearly states hardware AND community as reasons for why Switch is lacking many games. Could GTA V come to Switch? Maybe, if it doesn't I'm not really surprised as we have a legit list of GTA games that didn't come to any Nintendo systems so......its not really just hardware bud. So I'm sure people would buy GTA V for a portable as they do for laptops, but you can argue this for every handheld to ever release, but every handheld has not received ALL the major last gen console games. Why would that suddenly change now?

I picked GTA because this is a GTA thread. Switch cannot run games like BFV and RDR2 of course not. The thing is the size of a DVD case. The fact that it runs Doom and Wolf 2 (with compromises) is amazing.

But GTA should be on the switch and I think it will sell because the game has sold 90 Million copies and is still selling today and it was released last gen like 4 years ago or something. People buying systems TODAY are still picking up GTA as their first game and I do not doubt for 1 minute Switch players would do the same. The fact thats its portable would push hardcore GTA fans to double dip once again. Even people in this thread bought this game like 3 or 4 times already. Being able to play the full game on the go is 100% a selling point for GTA fans.

If its Nintendo or Rockstar both of them are being stupid for not having a GTA port on the system. If the game stopped selling 2 years ago then it wouldn't make a difference. The fact that even today its still a top selling game so many years later says that both companies are leaving money on the table by not getting the game out. It would easily sell 5 Million plus over the lifetime of the Switch but probably even more. Like I said above GTA is still the go to game for new players as we can see by its sales numbers and I don't think that would be different on the Switch.

EDMIX

I picked GTA because this is a GTA thread. Switch cannot run games like BFV and RDR2 of course not. The thing is the size of a DVD case. The fact that it runs Doom and Wolf 2 (with compromises) is amazing.

But GTA should be on the switch and I think it will sell because the game has sold 90 Million copies and is still selling today and it was released last gen like 4 years ago or something. People buying systems TODAY are still picking up GTA as their first game and I do not doubt for 1 minute Switch players would do the same. The fact thats its portable would push hardcore GTA fans to double dip once again. Even people in this thread bought this game like 3 or 4 times already. Being able to play the full game on the go is 100% a selling point for GTA fans.

If its Nintendo or Rockstar both of them are being stupid for not having a GTA port on the system. If the game stopped selling 2 years ago then it wouldn't make a difference. The fact that even today its still a top selling game so many years later says that both companies are leaving money on the table by not getting the game out. It would easily sell 5 Million plus over the lifetime of the Switch but probably even more. Like I said above GTA is still the go to game for new players as we can see by its sales numbers and I don't think that would be different on the Switch.

"The fact thats its portable would push hardcore GTA fans to double dip once again" Ok, again "but every handheld has not received ALL the major last gen console games. Why would that suddenly change now?"

"both of them are being stupid for not having a GTA port on the system" Not really, Like I said "not everything will make them profit if ported" ie you might as well argue every publisher put games on all systems regardless if they make money or not.

GTA III, GTA VC and GTA SA moved MILLIONS of units, doesn't mean you'd see them on DS or 3DS etc. Being powerful enough to run it doesn't mean it will move lots of units. Could it show up on Switch? Sure, but again....being powerful enough to run it doesn't mean it will be on the system as you can argue that about PSP, 3DS, Vita etc on lots of last gen games. I don't know that they have the demographic for GTA as to why you have seen so few of that series on Nintendo handhelds. I mean buddy, 3DS sold over 70 million units and I don't see the PS2 GTA games on that system so.....you can argue that till your blue in the face, but you are asking for a portable GTA to be on a install base that doesn't seem to buy those types of games as much as other install bases, you could have argued this last gen, the gen before, next gen, the one after that etc.

What has changed for this to suddenly happen NOW?

The same reason you don't see GTA V on Switch is likely same reason you didn't see GTA III or VC or SA or IV on their other handhelds or even consoles. So until something changes with that, you'll probably see the same stuff go on. I wouldn't be surprised if your not seeing it because one of their teams is already working on GTAVI

Grinchy

Banned
I bought GTA 5 on release back in 2013 on PS3. Eventually double dipped 2018 for GTA 5 PC for 20 dollars.

However, I still do not understand what all these people are doing on GTAO. How in the world is it so profitable?!
"That jet looks sweet. I want it! Oh, it'll take me 3 months of grinding the same missions over and over again to scrape the cash together to buy it? I'll just buy the shark card. Damn, it's $50? Oh well, this is the only game I play!"

Rinse and repeat. If you could outright buy in-game items for their actual costs, no one would do it. But people love buying in-game currency and using it toward the in-game items without thinking about how much they just spent for one vehicle.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
"The fact thats its portable would push hardcore GTA fans to double dip once again" Ok, again "but every handheld has not received ALL the major last gen console games. Why would that suddenly change now?"

"both of them are being stupid for not having a GTA port on the system" Not really, Like I said "not everything will make them profit if ported" ie you might as well argue every publisher put games on all systems regardless if they make money or not.

GTA III, GTA VC and GTA SA moved MILLIONS of units, doesn't mean you'd see them on DS or 3DS etc. Being powerful enough to run it doesn't mean it will move lots of units. Could it show up on Switch? Sure, but again....being powerful enough to run it doesn't mean it will be on the system as you can argue that about PSP, 3DS, Vita etc on lots of last gen games. I don't know that they have the demographic for GTA as to why you have seen so few of that series on Nintendo handhelds. I mean buddy, 3DS sold over 70 million units and I don't see the PS2 GTA games on that system so.....you can argue that till your blue in the face, but you are asking for a portable GTA to be on a install base that doesn't seem to buy those types of games as much as other install bases, you could have argued this last gen, the gen before, next gen, the one after that etc.

What has changed for this to suddenly happen NOW?

The same reason you don't see GTA V on Switch is likely same reason you didn't see GTA III or VC or SA or IV on their other handhelds or even consoles. So until something changes with that, you'll probably see the same stuff go on. I wouldn't be surprised if your not seeing it because one of their teams is already working on GTAVI

As I said both sides are being stupid and missing out on sales. I can't know 100% that GTA would sell on switch, but looking at how it is selling to this day, with 15 million copies I don't think its going out on a limb to say that people buying a switch would pick up GTA just like people who buy a PS4 or XBOX are still buying GTA even though the game is 4(5) years old and was built for last generation.

GTA is the go to game for people to pick up with their system, being portable would be a big selling point. People who pick up a switch will get a Nintendo game and then when they think of second game to get they are going to look at GTA because its a well known monster game.

We can argue back and forth but I stand my ground that Rockstar could get at minimum 5 Million sales off GTA for the lifetime of the switch. I mean even with a remaster did people really expect GTA to sell this much on XBOX and PS4 even to this day? GTA sells and it would sell on the switch, and it would have sold even more the earlier it launched on the switch because switch gamers have been hungry for software.

EDMIX

As I said both sides are being stupid and missing out on sales. I can't know 100% that GTA would sell on switch, but looking at how it is selling to this day, with 15 million copies I don't think its going out on a limb to say that people buying a switch would pick up GTA just like people who buy a PS4 or XBOX are still buying GTA even though the game is 4(5) years old and was built for last generation.

GTA is the go to game for people to pick up with their system, being portable would be a big selling point. People who pick up a switch will get a Nintendo game and then when they think of second game to get they are going to look at GTA because its a well known monster game.

We can argue back and forth but I stand my ground that Rockstar could get at minimum 5 Million sales off GTA for the lifetime of the switch. I mean even with a remaster did people really expect GTA to sell this much on XBOX and PS4 even to this day? GTA sells and it would sell on the switch, and it would have sold even more the earlier it launched on the switch because switch gamers have been hungry for software.

". I can't know 100% that GTA would sell on switch "

Ok, that is why Rockstar has not spent much time putting the series on Nintendo systems.

Same reason bud. Stop bickering.

cryptoadam

Banned
". I can't know 100% that GTA would sell on switch "

Ok, that is why Rockstar has not spent much time putting the series on Nintendo systems.

Same reason bud. Stop bickering.

I will ask you with the sales that GTA had in 2017, and the software sales and hardware sales the Switch had in 2017 you don't think a cheap port of GTA V would sell a few million copies? I don't doubt that GTA will sell another good 10 Million in 2018 at least on PS4/XBOX/PC.

There isn't any bickering I think its common sense that both companies are leaving money on the table by not having the game on the system that probably wouldn't cost much to get ported over.

EDMIX

I will ask you with the sales that GTA had in 2017, and the software sales and hardware sales the Switch had in 2017 you don't think a cheap port of GTA V would sell a few million copies? I don't doubt that GTA will sell another good 10 Million in 2018 at least on PS4/XBOX/PC.

There isn't any bickering I think its common sense that both companies are leaving money on the table by not having the game on the system that probably wouldn't cost much to get ported over.

" I think its common sense " not really.

Some games won't move those units on Nintendo systems, as to why not all games come to all systems most times. The install base must acutally buy that IP or genre to really even justify it appearing on said system. So its not basically throw every game on every system. As to why even with DS, 3DS Wii etc moving MILLIONS of units, you still saw lots of IP not show up on the platform. Its also a install base that largely just buys Nintendo IP. The team may not see a point to spending that money if they may not make it back, consider you can argue this about every Nintendo handheld and every GTA, they all moved massive millions, doesn't mean you'll see them on all systems regardless or something. So you can keep saying they are leaving money on the "table" but those publishers have had reasons to not put their games on ALL SYSTEMS REGARDLESS of install base. Doesn't work that way. Many publishers, (Rockstar included) might only do it if it makes sense and the install base exist to purchase the title. Thats business. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much, I'm sure someone would buy it, doesn't mean the publisher feels the same way, doesn't mean all games that can work on switch will be on Switch.

Wii sold 100 million and all games that could work on Wii, didn't go to Wii.....soooooo yea. Having 100 million doesn't mean that 100 million cares about other publishers, that is why you are not seeing Final Fantasy, GTA, Kingdom Hearts, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Call Of Duty etc not flooding Nintendo systems. That 100 million also catered to 1 publisher....

So would it cost much? Probably not. Would it work on Switch, of course......would it sell enough to even justify the move? Maybe not, as to why you haven't see the series on Nintendo systems much. You might as well prepare to keep writing this about all publishers as they are not the only ones not putting some of their games on Switch, thats like most 3rd party right now

TLZ

Banned
Is this both digital and physical?

That's a crazy number. Has a console game ever ever sold that many?

R* can release a console and sell 100mil of them just for this game alone, lol.

Last edited:
^Minecraft yeah still like 50% more than GTA5 has

Tetris too but you did say consoles specifically so I guess that would widen its platform reach.

But in a way, if you were thinking consoles-first... so in that sense, Minecraft is a PC game ported to consoles or portable, or Tetris is a portable game ported to consoles, then yeah if GTA V is a console game ported to PCs, then it would be the top dog as far as 'consoles-first' games go.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
" I think its common sense " not really.

Some games won't move those units on Nintendo systems, as to why not all games come to all systems most times. The install base must acutally buy that IP or genre to really even justify it appearing on said system. So its not basically throw every game on every system. As to why even with DS, 3DS Wii etc moving MILLIONS of units, you still saw lots of IP not show up on the platform. Its also a install base that largely just buys Nintendo IP. The team may not see a point to spending that money if they may not make it back, consider you can argue this about every Nintendo handheld and every GTA, they all moved massive millions, doesn't mean you'll see them on all systems regardless or something. So you can keep saying they are leaving money on the "table" but those publishers have had reasons to not put their games on ALL SYSTEMS REGARDLESS of install base. Doesn't work that way. Many publishers, (Rockstar included) might only do it if it makes sense and the install base exist to purchase the title. Thats business. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much, I'm sure someone would buy it, doesn't mean the publisher feels the same way, doesn't mean all games that can work on switch will be on Switch.

Wii sold 100 million and all games that could work on Wii, didn't go to Wii.....soooooo yea. Having 100 million doesn't mean that 100 million cares about other publishers, that is why you are not seeing Final Fantasy, GTA, Kingdom Hearts, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Call Of Duty etc not flooding Nintendo systems. That 100 million also catered to 1 publisher....

So would it cost much? Probably not. Would it work on Switch, of course......would it sell enough to even justify the move? Maybe not, as to why you haven't see the series on Nintendo systems much. You might as well prepare to keep writing this about all publishers as they are not the only ones not putting some of their games on Switch, thats like most 3rd party right now

I think the difference is I dont have any doubt GTA would sell. You don't think it would and its worth it for the publisher to put the effort. Neither of us know the truth because the game isn't on the system. You don't think it will sell, I do. Don't think we will convince each other differently.

To me GTA V is a game that is part of popular zeitgeist. Its like IMO saying Minecraft won't sell on Switch. Or a game like Fortnite which isn't as big as GTA but its in the popular zietgeist and it did very well on the switch. I even think a game like PUBG if it could run on switch properly would sell. These are the types of games that transcend gaming that everyone knows. They are just so massively popular that consumers would gravitate to them. FF,KH, AC, BF, COD arent in the same realm as GTA V. The game sold 90 Million copies, 15 in 2017 when it launched in 2013.

And I also put it on Nintendo, they should be reaching out to Rockstar, collabing and even paying. We got LA Noir, which BTW was pretty competent port. Maybe it didn't sell well and it scared Rockstar off. But LA Noir isn't GTA and I don't think it was that big on PS4 and XBOX either. To me portable GTA on Nintendo Switch is a perfect match.

EDMIX

I think the difference is I dont have any doubt GTA would sell. You don't think it would and its worth it for the publisher to put the effort. Neither of us know the truth because the game isn't on the system. You don't think it will sell, I do. Don't think we will convince each other differently.

To me GTA V is a game that is part of popular zeitgeist. Its like IMO saying Minecraft won't sell on Switch. Or a game like Fortnite which isn't as big as GTA but its in the popular zietgeist and it did very well on the switch. I even think a game like PUBG if it could run on switch properly would sell. These are the types of games that transcend gaming that everyone knows. They are just so massively popular that consumers would gravitate to them. FF,KH, AC, BF, COD arent in the same realm as GTA V. The game sold 90 Million copies, 15 in 2017 when it launched in 2013.

And I also put it on Nintendo, they should be reaching out to Rockstar, collabing and even paying. We got LA Noir, which BTW was pretty competent port. Maybe it didn't sell well and it scared Rockstar off. But LA Noir isn't GTA and I don't think it was that big on PS4 and XBOX either. To me portable GTA on Nintendo Switch is a perfect match.

" I dont have any doubt GTA would sell. You don't think it would" huh Please stop, I just said this " I'm sure someone would buy it "

That doesn't mean I think the publisher would do it and they have great reason. I sure it would sell as someone would clearly want it, doesn't really mean the publisher thinks so and they have a good history of see those stats to probably not waste the funds. The game being more massive in success doesn't automatically mean it will be on all platforms regardless. Look at the past GTAs. "Maybe it didn't sell well and it scared Rockstar off" Ummmm ok, so basically maybe what I already stated regarding the publishers history with 3rd party content of the mature variety? Ok, sure. I agree, maybe some of those titles not selling that well are why you see them playing a wait and see.

"To me portable GTA on Nintendo Switch is a perfect match"

Thats nice, you could have said that about the other GTAs too that didn't make it to portables. "perfect match" doesn't mean its going to happen, simply that you hope it happens. Trust me, lots of that install base are hoping for lots of series to come to that platform. Could it come to Switch? Sure, but I think its just as likely it doesn't to be honest. Consider they got to 90 million without a Nintendo system....

Last edited:
Top Bottom