• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V [TRAILER #2] - Talk Thread

Muffdraul

Maybe they should have waited for the next generation of consoles......

Maybe everyone should get on the same page, that GTA has never been a graphics showcase per se.

Not that I can in anyway relate to someone who looks at that screenshot and their reaction is =\ or =(

UrbanRats

That way we'd have another GTA4 though, half development time spent on understanding the HW, the other half actually creating the game.

Maybe everyone should get on the same page, that GTA has never been a graphics showcase per se.

Not that I can in anyway relate to someone who looks at that screenshot and their reaction is =\ or =(
This gen they definitely have been showcasing amazing graphics with GTA4, RDR and Max Payne 3.
GTAV too, in a way.

I would have taken a much smaller world to play in if it meant visuals that were at least on par with what they accomplished with Max Payne 3.

Fjordson

Yeah, no way we get a game like this from R* near the launch of the new consoles. We'd be waiting a good two years at least.

And I still say this looks good, but that's just me.

Socreges

Banned
yo anybody hear any news on pc release

it seems like this will be console only right now
iwFOqbafIEqB8.gif

Muffdraul

This gen they definitely have been showcasing amazing graphics with GTA4, RDR and Max Payne 3.
GTAV too, in a way.

No doubt GTA IV was a huge step up. But it does have a weird blurry look a lot of the time that was obviously some sort of technical sacrifice to keep it running smoothly. I wasn't surprised I didn't see it named in many "Best Graphics" 2008 polls. I'm not surprised when shameless graphics whores accuse it of looking shitty. I don't agree with them one bit, but I get it. While on the other hand I will never understand how anyone can honestly say that Halo 3 running on, say, a 42" Bravia looks anything less than beautiful. When they're not doing a close up on Lord Hood or showing his colonoscopy, at least.

Meanwhile, back in the PS2 days it seemed like even GTAs biggest fanboys were willing to openly admit they didn't look so hot. Everyone seemed to get that eye candy wasn't the point.

UrbanRats

I would have taken a much smaller world to play in if it meant visuals that were at least on par with what they accomplished with Max Payne 3.

Yeah so a corridor shooter? That would've been a great Grand Theft Auto, lol.
Maybe with driving sequences akin to Resident Evil 6!

I seriously do not understand how anybody can be anything but impressed with this photo on this hardware.

Ugly tree, sure, but jesus christ can you not see the forest from the trees?

In other words

LOOK AT THAT CITY BEHIND IT

dreamfall

Yeah, no way we get a game like this from R* near the launch of the new consoles. We'd be waiting a good two years at least.

And I still say this looks good, but that's just me.

Completely agree with this- I think if the next gen stuff arrives in a year or so, we probably won't see anything from Rockstar for a good 2-3 years after that. And yes, this looks beautiful. The vastness, the diversity in environmental detail, the lighting- all terrific.

I know that this is a different world and that Las Venturas is not in the game, but that shot reminds me so much of the highway that circles LAs Venturas, where off to the left you can go over that dusty hill and drop into Bone County air strip.

Still love GTA:SA man... still love it.

UrbanRats

They didn't have to make some massive world to play around in. Just add more content to the smaller one.

It's not a matter of how massive the world is, since the game is not gonna load it all at once, if the game is fairly open, to allow enjoyable free roam and driving, you're gonna have a shitty LOD and draw distance and poor textures, on old HW.
Max Payne came out this year and to have those graphics had to be as narrow as it gets, before going on rails.
I don't get the assumption that graphics and openness is a 1:1 exchange deal, to have the amount of detail of a corridor shooter you don't have to restrict it a bit, you have to chop off a big part of the design.

More over, a large ass map allows for fun and enjoyable flying and more creative stuff, so i'll take a mission involving derailing a train, and parachuting off of a plane with a Jeep, over hi res grass textures (that i'll be able to get anyway, in the future).

Also, are we talking "content" or "graphics" here?

Muffdraul

Is the trailer actually indicative of the quality of graphics?

It better be, considering a few months ago Rockstar posted on their Newswire something along the lines of, "Listen crybabies, the reason we're not showing you any GTA V content yet is because we're still working on it and it's not ready. We don't want to show you anything until it's far enough along that what we finally show you is exactly what you will get when we release the game."

What he said was that he refuses to watch certain TV shows to avoid being influenced. He has gone out of his way *NOT* to watch The Wire, Breaking Bad, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, because he knows he would inevitably be influenced by them. He admitted that he has watched some Sopranos. So I guess you proved his point.

Personally I was pretty gobsmacked by that, I think it's a fucking tragedy that a guy like him won't watch Breaking Bad. He'd love the shit out of it.

Disappointed that they take that approach, because some of the best aspects of III, VC, and SA were that they borrowed themes from TV shows and movies from the time, era, and setting. It's not a bad thing... that's the whole point. Those movies/shows were good because they *got something* about that era or that setting... Scarface as a power story for a Cuban emigre in Miami; Miami Vice for the glitzy drug scene of Miami; Boyz n tha Hood for the gangster family ties in GTA:SA...

You copy those movies or shows because they got it right, not try to avoid them.

It's disappointing because part of what makes those shows good, like the Wire, is that it's great cop drama, great entertainment. And it shouldn't be wrong to borrow from that.

Robot Pants

It better be, considering a few months ago Rockstar posted on their Newswire something along the lines of, "Listen crybabies, the reason we're not showing you any GTA V content yet is because we're still working on it and it's not ready. We don't want to show you anything until it's far enough along that what we finally show you is exactly what you will get when we release the game."

Hopefully.
The difference in quality from trailer 1 to 2 is outstanding.

Muffdraul

Hopefully.
The difference in quality from trailer 1 to 2 is outstanding.

I wasn't too stoked when they released those screen shots back in July/Aug, they looked like a step down from trailer 1. But yeah, all of this latest stuff has totally laid my fears to rest. Looks fucking tits to me. Graphics whores gonna whore for graphics.

so is sticking the middle finger at peds the only interactivity with the peds? i liked the system in SA where you had a good action or bad action available.

ZoddGutts

don't forget about the way gta iv had less variation in its locales, or how swimming was suddenly removed, or how you were back to just stealing fucking cars again after planes, trains, bikes, and copters. and jetpacks. and jets.

gta iv was a bad game.

This. It was a bad game by GTA standards.

Robot Pants

I'm loving all the new "real" cars that are in this trailer. Hopefully they do a huge overhaul on the car selection in this game and you can drive those around for real and not just on specific missions. Although I'm betting they are mission specific only.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member

Did anyone think this could be an example of the character switching being played out but sped up slightly perhaps?

I see 3 guys - one on the boat, one hanging on to the sail and one in the red convertible. The camera angle when the guy is hanging from the sail could be a standard 3rd person camera, then you are the guy in the red convertible using the behind car view? At one point the camera is sweeping around to behind the car but that could be how the switch happens.

Top Bottom