• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1660 Ti Review Thread. Under $300 GPU King.

Leonidas

$279
~GTX 1070/Vega 56 performance.
Excellent performance per dollar.
Cool and Quiet.
A-Sync(G-Sync, Free-Sync compatible)
Energy Efficient(1/2 the power of Vega 56 for same performance).
Can overclock to GTX 1070 Ti level performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_1660_Ti_Gaming_X/
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-Review-Mainstream-Turing
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3342622/components-graphics/asus-rog-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-review.html

With a similar level of performance to Vega 56, the GTX 1660 Ti comes out at a saving of 25% per frame. Not to mention, it's much more efficient.
Source: TechSpot

Faster than GTX 1070, nearly matches Vega 56

Source: Techpowerup

In one fell swoop Nvidia makes RX 590 look like a disaster, makes RX 580 seem questionable and deals a death blow to Vega 56.
Been a long time that we've seen anything like this.

Source: me

Anyone still waiting 5-8 months on Navi?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well that was expected... there is nothing to match these specs in sub $300.

It is free reign for that card.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice to see them finally compete in that segment of the market, hope they're widely available. Has the mining craze been losing steam for cards to finally get decent pricing or will these soon disappear off shelves leading to a price hike?

As for "killing" Vega 56 I don't think that's happening beyond how they always kill AMD by media exposure and hype alone even when the products aren't better, I'm sure that very soon the cards will be priced rather equally.

Edit: why do they keep gimping their GPU VRAM? Only 6GB in 2019? Come on.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nice to see them finally compete in that segment of the market, hope they're widely available. Has the mining craze been losing steam for cards to finally get decent pricing or will these soon disappear off shelves leading to a price hike?

Dude, the mining craze ended over 6 months ago. The high prices of GPUs are due to the fact that nvidia has no meaningful competition.

Leonidas

Vega 56 just went to $279.

I'm seeing models on Newegg ranging from $400 to $500. Which is a rip-off at this point...

Looks like there was a single blower model at $279 but it sold out before the 1660 Ti launched.

Meanwhile GTX 1660 Ti is in stock at $279 for the same performance for a more sophisticated product.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I mean, great, but almost 4 years ago I paid effectively $250 for a 970 (after selling the Arkham Knight and MGSV keys I got with it). Paying $280+ now for, when you come down to it, a fairly modest upgrade isn't that compelling. I guess my 2550k/970 warhorse will continue on for another year or two, at least.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out my next upgrade. I was thinking the RTX 2060...currently have the GTX 1070ti. Problem is the framerate trade for ray tracing. Figuring it might be better to wait til new cards come out or a substantial price drop for a RTX 2080

This is the first card I can recommend people without feeling like it's a compromise. 1070 performance at $100 cheaper than the 1070 original MSRP. Although my 1070 just lost a bunch of second hand value it doesn't matter, because there are no worthwhile upgradesfor me. AMD is left flailing in the wind again. I want another win for them. The 290-7990 was a great time for them.

Von Hugh

I mean, great, but almost 4 years ago I paid effectively $250 for a 970 (after selling the Arkham Knight and MGSV keys I got with it). Paying $280+ now for, when you come down to it, a fairly modest upgrade isn't that compelling. I guess my 2550k/970 warhorse will continue on for another year or two, at least.

Twice the power of 970 isn't modest.

Shin

Banned
AMD dropped the price of Vega 56 today to match this offering, but not by enough unless Vega 56 performs better?

The 970 price was an outlier. Previous 7 series cards had an MSRP of around $400. The 970 was priced at $330 to cut AMDs legs out from under them.

Also AMD and Nvidia were going to war with bundles at the time, but AMD doesn't have much going for it in this fight if anything. I guess dropping the Vega 56 price will help. Maybe we will get a price war this year between it and the 1660 cards.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD dropped the price of Vega 56 today to match this offering, but not by enough unless Vega 56 performs better?

AMD shady business practices. Just about every review mentioned the dropped price but if you go on Newegg all the Vega 56 cards sold by Newegg are $400-$500. There was only one card at $279, maybe, but the listing showed up as sold out before the 1660 Ti even launched.

Someone needs to call AMD out on these bullshit fake sales tactics.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
why do they keep gimping their GPU VRAM? Only 6GB in 2019? Come on.
Nvidia is very clever, that way they will force people to buy another GPU in the near future. Even today we have games that can eat around 6-8GB vram for breakfast (final fantasy can eat 10GB even in 1440p :p) and next year when PS5 will launch vram requirements will skyrocket.

Here's very interesting video, because gamersnexus talk about memory leaks problems on "turing" cards in battlefied 5. RTX effects push VRAM requirements to the point when VRAM is serious problem even on RTX 2080 (performance decreases the longer you play). Sure, 1660ti has no RTX functionality, but the thing is in the near future games will push VRAM requirements anyway and the same VRAM related problems will happen.

PS5 will have around 16-24GB system ram, and games will start using probably around 10 GB vram even in 1080p. If someone think I'm wrong then be prepared to be surpised next year. The same situation happened in 2012 when PS4 launched (VRAM requirements had skyrocked in a short time) and it will surely happen again when multiplatform games will be made with PS5 in mind.

Both 1660ti and RTX 2060 should have at least 8GB even for it's segment, while GPU's like 2070/2080 should have more than 10 GB, and not to mention 2080ti, because for price like that 11GB is laughable (even 2 years old and much cheaper 1080ti has the same amount).

Right now it's the worst moment to buy GPU regardless of segment. People should wait when PS5 will launch and buy GPU then, because it will last them for years.

Last edited:
I have a mid range i7 and 1070ti

I figure by the end of this year I’ll probabky need to upgrade both.

In a couple months I’ll probably look for best card I can get for under 600, then look for a new cpu during the holidays

AMD shady business practices. Just about every review mentioned the dropped price but if you go on Newegg all the Vega 56 cards sold by Newegg are $360-$500. There was only one card at $279, maybe, but the listing showed up as sold out before the 1660 Ti even launched.

Someone needs to call AMD out on these bullshit fake sales tactics.

Blame retailers and miners. Although AMD could do their own Founders Editions and price however they want.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Blame retailers and miners. Although AMD could do their own Founders Editiins and price however they want.

GPU mining is dead. No one is buying Vega 56 now except gamers, and only if it's $300 or less.

I blame AMD for fake sales and manipulating reviewers into free(fake) advertising.

GPU mining is dead. No one is buying Vega 56 now except gamers, and only if it's $300 or less.

I blame AMD for fake sales and manipulating reviewers into free(fake) advertising.

People still use cards for mining, just not bitcoin.

It's not fake if they lower the MSRP unless manufacturers can't produce the card at that price and still make a profit. The market still ultimatly dictates the price of the card. I see many selling for over the $399 MSRP so that's not AMDs fault right? I paid $430 for my 1070 and the MSRP was $380. That remained the case for 2 years.

Last edited:

Leonidas

People still use cards for mining, just not bitcoin.

It's not fake if they lower the MSRP unless manufacturers can't produce the card at that price and still make a profit. The market still ultimatly dictates the price of the card. I see many selling for over the $399 MSRP so that's not AMDs fault right? I paid $430 for my 1070 and the MSRP was $380. That remained the case for 2 years.

It's fake because you can't buy it at the stated price and it only applied to one model. They pulled the same crap in Vega's 2017 launch. I've never seen more dodgy sales tactics, advertise a price, they have like 10 units so no one can buy them. Advertised at $279 but it's selling for $400-$500.

You can't point me to a $279 USD Vega 56. Stop trying to justify AMDs fraudulent marketing.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Man these reviews make it seem like the second coming. Please, 300 bucks for the same performance as a 3 year old GTX 1070 which launched for $379. It's laughable.

It's fake because you can't buy it at the stated price. They pulled the same crap in Vega's 2017 launch. I've never seen more dodgy sales tactics, advertise a price, they have like 10 units so no one can buy them. Advertised at $279 but it's selling for $400-$500.

You can't point me to a $279 USD Vega 56. Stop trying to justify AMDs fraudulent marketing.

Sorry I guess I didn't have the full story. I just did a little digging and it does seem it was a temporary drop and only on a small number of a select model.

I'm not trying to justify fraudulent marketing, I just didn't have that key piece of info. I also am not as angry as you, because it really doesn't change anything for anyone. It is a shitty move none the less.

Man these reviews make it seem like the second coming. Please, 300 bucks for the same performance as a 3 year old GTX 1070 which launched for $379. It's laughable.

Compared to the value proposition of the 20 series it's a big deal.

Last edited:

Leonidas

1070 launched at $450, over 60% higher price than this new cards starting price, nice downplay attempt though.

Sorry I guess I didn't have the full story. I just did a little digging and it does seem it was a temporary drop and only on a small number of a select model.

I'm not trying to justify fraudulent marketing, I just didn't have that key piece of info. I also am not as angry as you, because it really doesn't change anything for anyone. It is a shitty move none the less.

I'm not angry I just don't like it when companies stoop to a level where they go as far as using manipulation and bald faced deception.

Boss Mog

1070 launched at $450, over 60% higher price than this new cards starting price, nice downplay attempt though..
Yeah, no, maybe with that founders edition bullshit but the custom cards were $380, that's what I payed for a Gygabyte 1070 back then. But sure keep defending the corporation. This card is overpriced, just like the RTX cards are overpriced. Performance from 3 years ago should be at least 50% cheaper then it was back then.

prag16

Banned
xD This wouldn't be a graphics hardware thread without Leonidas vigorously going to bat for NVidia and their pricing.

Most people would consider that a big deal.

Debatable.

The 970 price was an outlier. Previous 7 series cards had an MSRP of around $400. The 970 was priced at $330 to cut AMDs legs out from under them.

While that's true, that doesn't magically make a 20-60% increase depending on the game worth buying an entirely new card for a few hundred bucks. I miss the days before Moore's Law died. Back then you could get a massive 200-300% increase a couple years later for the same price you originally paid. Now they've conditioned us (and intel is even worse with the CPUs) to see 20% upgrades as reason to buy new hardware.

(EDIT: And I don't think that outlier is exactly the right term for the 970. That price for that 'level' of hardware was pretty normal up to that point. And still higher than in the past, e.g. 8800GT for $200... that was the last time we saw a bang-for-buck as good as the 970 probably. This "XX70 level is now $400-600 lol smd" business didn't start until after that. It's not like that happening prior and then the 970 bucked a trend.)

Last edited:
Yeah, no, maybe with that founders edition bullshit but the custom cards were $380, that's what I payed for a Gygabyte 1070 back then. But sure keep defending the corporation. This card is overpriced, just like the RTX cards are overpriced. Performance from 3 years ago should be at least 50% cheaper then it was back then.

MSRP for the 1070 was $380, but they were nowhere to be found under $400 for quite awhile. I waited a couple minths after launch and felt fortunate to pay $430 for a Gigabyte G1 Gaming. If you want to compare the two cards it by MSRP or price that's available. For us as consumers MSRP is meaningless in a value proposition.
While that's true, that doesn't magically make a 20-60% increase depending on the game worth buying an entirely new card for a few hundred bucks. I miss the days before Moore's Law died. Back then you could get a massive 200-300% increase a couple years later for the same price you originally paid. Now they've conditioned us (and intel is even worse with the CPUs) to see 20% upgrades as reason to buy new hardware.

Value is going to be dependent on the card you own and what you paid sure. If it's not worth it to you that's all that mattes.

Last edited:

Leonidas

No non-FE cards were in stock on launch so I'm not sure how you can say they launched at $379. They launched as FE $450 cards.

Leonidas

xD This wouldn't be a graphics hardware thread without Leonidas vigorously going to bat for NVidia and their pricing.

At least Nvidia is honest with their pricing. They gave you a range and it fell within that range. Today they said starts at $279 and that is what it is.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
At least Nvidia is honest with their pricing. They gave you a range and it fell within that range. Today they said starts at $279 and that is what it is.
No argument there. And they've actually gotten better about it lately too in a way... a few years ago you could almost never get an actual card at the 'reference' price. Now you usually can, or close to it.

Boss Mog

No non-FE cards were in stock on launch so I'm not sure how you can say they launched at $379. They launched as FE $450 cards.
Jesus fucking christ, are you seriously coming at me with bad faith arguments like that? The custom cards were lunched a few weeks later and you know it so I don't know why you're pushing this.

lukilladog

Console frame rates at console resolution, slow :messenger_clapping:

Yn9L4Hb.png
NwRR8vL.png

base

Banned
Great value? In the Netherlands prices around 340 euro while 2060 costs around 370. Yeah, great value...

Leonidas

Jesus fucking christ, are you seriously coming at me with bad faith arguments like that? The custom cards were lunched a few weeks later and you know it so I don't know why you're pushing this.

So not at launch then, just as I thought. Congrats on spending $380 some time after launch on a 1070.

Well I mean all it takes is the sales of gaming division to drop by 45% to get them to price things reasonably I guess.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looking at TimeSpy benchmarks seems to indicate this sits right on the Vega 56 mark at stock and OC...and Vega 56 is $100 more and twice the power consumption. Time for Navi.

I expect next-gen consoles to sit between a 1660ti and a 2060. If they're $499 more like 2060, at $399 I'd guess more like the 1660ti.

luca_29_bg

Sadly only 6gb vram. Completely trash for me, and i have to change gpu to replace my 7950. One day nvidia will learn, maybe.

PhoenixTank

I'm not angry I just don't like it when companies stoop to a level where they go as far as using manipulation and bald faced deception.
Neither company is full of saints, dude. Falls into the same category as the "Up To 90% Off! BUY NOW!" marketing where one item/game is actually that heavily discounted, if we're being perfectly honest. End result is the same, people might look but if it is only one Vega 56 card at that price (and it is out of stock?) then they're not going to be buying AMD are they? Lands them a failed conversion... which is dumb, but strikes me as a "Hey, we still exist!" move. Misleadingly named parts are a far more egregious marketing ploy against the average consumer.

Back on topic: I'm glad Nvidia are bringing something more sane to the midrange, especially given the dwindling stock of Pascal cards. A bit beefier would've been nice but I imagine that'd cannibalise the 2060's sales and undermine RTX. Prices will likely have to normalise around the 1660Ti given time.

A lot of posts about 6GB not being enough. Might be okay but possibly also worth holding out for a 7nm shrink of TU-116 or similar - I'd hope VRAM would get a bump by then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Yn9L4Hb.png
NwRR8vL.png
If you reduce to console settings as well it'll run better :)

Also Tomb Raider at least isn't native 4K on either of the premium console variants. Dunno about Deus Ex. Trying to find out now but meh, can't bother doing that much research for such half assed hot takes.

Last edited:

Yn9L4Hb.png
NwRR8vL.png

Consoles are not running the equivalent of the highest quality presets at 4K at all.

Edit: Al3x1s is my doppleganger?

Seriously though, console versions of PC games are runing the equivalent of mid to low PC version settings. AA is lower, AF is lower, draw distances are closer, LOD is lower, texture resolution, everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom