• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series |OT| Thanos is in this one

GavinUK86

p5uaqkc.png

Developer: Telltale Games
Publisher: Telltale Games
Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One, iOS & Android

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series delivers a brand new 5-part story of the universe's unlikeliest heroes, the rag-tag band of outlaws who go by the names Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot. In the wake of an epic battle, the Guardians discover an artifact of unspeakable power. Each of the Guardians has a reason to desire this relic, as does a ruthless enemy who is the last of her kind, and who will stop at nothing to tear it from their hands.

Cast
Scott Porter as Star-Lord
Emily O'Brien as Gamora
Nolan North as Rocket Raccoon
Brandon Paul Eells as Drax the Destroyer
Adam Harrington as Groot

Episode 1: Tangled Up In Blue
NQqOUXp.png

Episode 1 Trailer
Release Date: 18th April 2017
Reviews: IGN | Kotaku | Destructoid | GameSpot | PC Gamer | USGamer | Den of Geek | Metacritic | Opencritic

Episode 2: Under Pressure
Release Date: TBA

Episode 3: More Than a Feeling

Episode 4: Who Needs You

Episode 5: Don't Stop Believing

Watched the first 30' and I felt it really uninspired but reviews are fairly good...
I'll wait until every episode is out or at least three.

Steiner

Banned
I didn't enjoy my time with it at all, unfortunately. Characters are paper thin. Dialogue wasn't funny. Gameplay sections are insultingly redundant.

GavinUK86

I finished it about an hour ago and I thought it was fun. Most of the jokes fell completely flat but the story seems interesting to me. The voices are good but sound slightly strange considering the game tries to emulate the films yet, of course, the voices are different. Get past it though and you're fine. The actors do a pretty good job.

PC version has a fair few extra visual options that aren't in previous TT games like bokeh DOF and additional AO options. In my opinion, it's the best looking TT game to date. 1080p, 60fps easily manageable with toaster-like hardware.

Just an FYI, it took me just under an hour to complete the episode.

Looking forward to playing Episode 2, whenever that may be.

jrcbandit

Have they updated the game engine to work with Xbox One Controller yet in Windows 10? HAHAHA, who am I kidding. Their engine is using controller input technology from like 2000-2002, DX8.

Syinn

Neo Member
Was enjoyable and has me interested.

Was running fine and then it completely crashed my X1 though. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long for the next one

Dabanton

Glad you guys are taking the hit playing this.

Does this one come with all the 'classic' TTG graphic engine problems?

GavinUK86

Glad you guys are taking the hit playing this.

Does this one come with all the 'classic' TTG graphic engine problems?

Are you talking about console problems?

It's fine on PC as is 99% of TT stuff.

LOL. Comic > Movie > Cartoon > Game > Comic. We've gone full circle.

BiggNife

Are you talking about console problems?

It's fine on PC as is 99% of TT stuff.
Didn't you just say it was really stuttery on PC? Batman was the same way and it drove me up a wall. Probably going to pass on this as a result.

I had no problems with TTG games on PC before Batman but I think their "new and improved engine" is making things worse.

Azubah

Didn't you just say it was really stuttery on PC? Batman was the same way and it drove me up a wall. Probably going to pass on this as a result.

I had no problems with TTG games on PC before Batman but I think their "new and improved engine" is making things worse.

I still can't play Batman, I should've taken their refund when they offered.

Nudull

Banned
Played episode one. Felt short and inoffensive, but nothing too much to write home about. Zero technical issues on my PS4.

Ricker

I noticed a trial option. Not sure if it's the entire episode.

Ah,probably yeah...will check it out later but I will probably end up getting it...I liked all the Telltale games,finished Batman last week and it was good and a little less choppy...I tend to wait till all the episodes are out now though.

Jinroh

After what they did to Batman I would be careful before buying that.

I have the misfortune to own Batman through their account and not through Steam, and they didn't even bother patching it (even though they patched the Steam version months ago!).

These guys are crooks.

Neoxon

Fun Fact:
Livin' Thing by Electric Light Orchestra was actually supposed to be in Awesome Mix Vol. 1 in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 1).

GavinUK86

Yeah I realised it was me making it stutter. Nvidia Shadowplay was running in the background ready to record. I turned it off and the stuttering completely vanished. I will agree with you though, the "new" engine is worse than the old one.

I am still baffled as to why Episode 1 is called Tangled Up in Blue. It really shouldn't bother me as much as it is, but I love that song so much I find it weird you would call it that with there seemingly being no relation or inspiration related to the song.

GavinUK86

Whats the best way to play this? 2016 ipad pro, ps4 pro, or high end pc?

PC without a doubt.

I am still baffled as to why Episode 1 is called Tangled Up in Blue. It really shouldn't bother me as much as it is, but I love that song so much I find it weird you would call it that with there seemingly being no relation or inspiration related to the song.

Because it describes what happens in the episode pretty well. You'll understand if you play it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Kree are (generally) blue.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just bought this on my iPhone 6S.

Have a short flight tonight, in the GotG mood and loved TT's last sci fi game (Tales from the Borderlands).

Looking forward to it!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How are TT games on mobile? Seems like an ideal way to play them.

I'll let you know - this is my first on mobile. I think I had the best experience on my 1070/i7. Decent experiences on PS4/360.

The iTunes reviews are pretty glowing - people are saying the engine finally runs very well on iOS.

Gumbie

Man this has release has really flown under the radar. I'm seeing mixed impressions of performance on PS4 with some people saying it's choppy and others saying it was a mostly smooth 60. A few people in here have said it was fine but just wondering if anyone else had played it on PS4 before I pull the trigger.

Man this has release has really flown under the radar. I'm seeing mixed impressions of performance on PS4 with some people saying it's choppy and others saying it was a mostly smooth 60. A few people in here have said it was fine but just wondering if anyone else had played it on PS4 before I pull the trigger.

I played through the first episode on PS4 Pro last night. There was only one noticeable moment where the game froze up for a good 5-10 seconds before a scene transition / trophy pop, but that's literally the only problem I had. Apart from that it seemed mostly smooth and performed about as well as TWD: S3, which I also haven't had any issues with.

Overall the game is good. It took a little while to get going I think, but by the midpoint I was starting to enjoy the characters and banter. Most jokes flowed better than the trailer might have implied, and the story got genuinely interesting by the end.

Looking forward to Ep 2.

I enjoyed this a lot, but I'm really hoping we'll have a chance to play as the other Guardians outside of Starlord.

Probably won't happen though.

How are TT games on mobile? Seems like an ideal way to play them.

TT games play fine on mobile. Their engine is stable on most toaster like PCs, so phones have enough power to run them as well. Besides some movement issues that require you to drag your character across the screen, there aren't many changes gameplay or graphics wise.

you play as a different guardian each episode

I'm pretty sure that they've said each episode will highlight or focus on a different guardian, not that you'll play as all of them. I'm pretty sure Starlord will be the POV character outside of a few of the fight scenes or whatever.

Kadayi

Banned
I thought it was ok, but it was pretty stilted early on and albeit they're always improving their engine tech, post LIS, it still looks second rate.

JonnyKong

Just finished this earlier and thought it was decent, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I lolled a few times. It did seem awfully short mind you, and the shooting mechanics so to speak are rather naff. Still, looking forward to ep 2.

I'm surprised by how many people went with
Gamora instead of Drax at the end. Drax is hilarious, I'm glad I picked him to come with me.

B-Dex

Played through this first episode and really enjoyed it.

Humour wasn't laugh out loud funny but it had its moments.

If you're into telltale style games it's worth a purchase.

Dalek

Finished the first episode. Most of then jokes fell flat-but the game was setup pretty good-I'm really interested in seeing how the story pans out now. Obviously we know why Nebula is going to want the Eternity Forge.

Bought the game on Thursday, didn't play until after watching GOTG2, for my iPhone 7 and it runs pretty smooth with the exception of a few odd control schemes. Enjoyed how they tried to capture the feeling of the movies and great soundtrack (as expected).

Much better than the hot garbage that TWD s3 has become this season....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So after everyone mocked it pre-release, turns out its pretty good in the end?

Bought the game on Thursday, didn't play until after watching GOTG2, for my iPhone 7 and it runs pretty smooth with the exception of a few odd control schemes. Enjoyed how they tried to capture the feeling of the movies and great soundtrack (as expected).

Much better than the hot garbage that TWD s3 has become this season....

Weird, I enjoyed S3 way more than S2.

Picking this up though, calling episode 2 "Under Pressure" has grabbed my interest, you have one shot Telltale.

That was a pretty good episode. Going into Rocket's past was interesting. The fight scene where
you can release Nebula
was my favorite part. Yondu's character felt off though, he lacked the personality that the movies gave him.

JonnyKong

Wow so nobody is playing this huh?

I just finished ep 2, I made every choice possible to piss off Gamora 🤣 oh well.

I really enjoyed the back story with Rocky.

Top Bottom