• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

Fitts

We just watched the original and sequel (pretty much) back to back. I'd already seen the first one but my wife hadn't. We agree that the sequel is much better -- way more fun. And the visuals consistently maintained the aesthetic of trippy album colors. Super entertaining stuff!

What a uniquely awesome film. I'm really enjoying how much personality is being injected into these MCU movies.

EYEL1NER

Just rented it from Netflix and watched it. I now want to own it. I thought it was great and so much better than the first. Ego was a legit threat and was portrayed fantastically by Kurt. The film was colorful and had some beautiful set pieces. I liked the change in tone with Drax (but do kind of hope for a future scene with Mantis saying that when she touched Drax and felt his sadness, that that is how he feels all the time, kind of like Tiny Rick. Something like that would be interesting, that he constantly is joking and laughing to try to forget how much sorrow and sadness he carries with him). Baby Groot was adorable. Yondu was fantastic. Not as much action from Quill but I didn't mind that because we got some bonding between Rocket and Yondu, more Nebula than we saw in the whole first movie, and other cool stuff.

I was already hyped for it but now I am even more excited for Thor: Ragnarok. I feel like Marvel had knocked it out of the park with Doctor Strange, then GotG Vol 2, and can't see how Thor: Ragnarok will be any different. Like someone else said too further up on this page, you can't really make the claim that all Marvel movies look alike now.

EDIT: That "Guardians Inferno" disco music video in the special features is magnificent, just a thing of beauty.

Still very good.

Yondu's death gets to me all the more re-watching it at home on Vudu.

Watched his death scene like a half-dozen times now. GREAT scene.

HotHamBoy

I just watched the movie for the first time last night. I watched it in 3D on my Gear VR in the virtual cinema and it was awesome.

This movie has some of the best 3D I've ever seen for a post-conversion film. It looks like it was filmed in 3D. There's an incredible sense of depth throughout the film and the space battles are particularly eye-popping. Other Marvel films I've seen in 3D in VR barely added anything to the experience.

As for the movie itself, count me among those who enjoyed this film a lot more than the original. I was never that hot on the first film to begin with so my expectations were low. This movie moved quick. Free of having to establish most of the cast the movie just gets on with the jokes that build off from what we know of the characters.

Some of the jokes fell pretty flat for me, I often find Rocket and Star Lord lines to feel a bit forced and not particularly funny, but overall I was laughing quite a bit. Drax, Mantis and Baby Groot were all great.

Speaking of Baby Groot, holy shit I was not prepared. I love how angry he is all the time and how he feebly punches and kicks everyone. Adorbs. The opening credits are amazing.

Anyone recognizes the tune from Microproses Formula One Grand Prix in the GotG2 trailer?

https://youtu.be/4hdv_6gl4gk?t=21s

https://youtu.be/qATaCWHLAxw

This post makes me sad.

Everyone knows Fleetwood Mac, you noob.

Mathieran

Banned
We got this on Bluray and I liked it just about as much as the first one. I love how Drax has become such a jovial person. He's my favorite character.

Does anyone know anything about the ravagers post credit scene? Like what was the purpose of it?

Syriel

The internet

You can plop any video file on your phone and watch it in VR and Oculus Video supports 3D SBS and OU.

So just rip the raw Blu to MKV and the Gear VR will play it just fine?

Or are there container or bitrate limitations?

Does anyone know anything about the ravagers post credit scene? Like what was the purpose of it?

Original Guardians team members. Setup for GotG 3.

RangerX

Banned
I only got around to watching this a few dances ago. I much preferred it over the first which I didn't love as much as everyone else. This was great and all the emotional beats really worked for me.

hobozero

I only got around to watching this a few dances ago. I much preferred it over the first which I didn't love as much as everyone else. This was great and all the emotional beats really worked for me.

I know its an auto-correct, but I love the idea of measuring time in "dances".

OmegaFax

The movie relies way too much on its soundtrack. It's like the editors left in their favorite temp tracks and went with it for better or for worst

It is better than most other MCU movies because

1) Wildly more colorful

2) Tony Stark isn't the villain by some incident, experiment gone wrong, or rubbing someone the wrong way.

The movie relies way too much on its soundtrack. It's like the editors left in their favorite temp tracks and went with it for better or for worst

1) Wildly more colorful

2) Tony Stark isn't the villain by some incident, experiment gone wrong, or rubbing someone the wrong way.

I generally don't like saying something "relies on ____ too much". If it detracts from the rest of the film, or if it isn't good, then it's up for criticism.

But sometimes, music for example, is ingrained in the very soul of a movie - like this one and to a greater extent something like Baby Driver. I don't think either of them 'rely' on it, but rather the creators have chosen to weave and build the film around the soundtrack.

Mathieran

Banned

I see, thanks. Guess I will do some research. I was wondering why they cast Sylvester Stallone for what seemed to be such a small role.

Monocle

1) Wildly more colorful

The movie relies on its soundtrack the same way it relies on its characters or relies on humor. You're talking about an integral aspect of the presentation here. Seems like a weird complaint to make considering how well each song sets or matches the tone of each scene, in sharp contrast to a movie like Suicide Squad, which is the most blatant example I've seen of an incongruous soundtrack stifling a movie that's aiming for a totally different tone.

Guardians 2's soundtrack is justified by the first movie, where a particular musical era was linked to Quill's memories of his mother. It's even a directly established plot point, with her gift of the Walkman and Awesome Mix Vol. 1 marking the tragedy of her death, his main formative experience. Peter is immersed in nostalgia all the time. Tragedy and nostalgia are at the very root of his personality.

Hell, Guardians 2 even goes a step further and explicitly sets up the song Brandy as a metaphor for the history and core motives of Quill's dad. There's maybe a bit more thematic resonance there than you'd get from some temp track.

HotHamBoy

You are probably going to want to compress it some but the video needs to be free of macroblocking and color banding or it's going to muddy the 3D effect.

Some MKVs I use work fine, some don't have audio in Oculus Video so it must be a codex issue.

I've never had a problem with MP4 and the rip I watched last night was a crystal-clear MP4 and only 2.07GB.

Syriel

You are probably going to want to compress it some but the video needs to be free of macroblocking and color banding or it's going to muddy the 3D effect.

Some MKVs I use work fine, some don't have audio in Oculus Video so it must be a codex issue.

I've never had a problem with MP4 and the rip I watched last night was a crystal-clear MP4 and only 2.07GB.

Right. I'm asking what tools did you use to convert the video? Normally I just rip my discs to MKV w/o compression for use with Plex, but that's all 2D stuff.

Never bothered with a 3D TV, so haven't yet picked up any 3D Blus, but did recently get a Gear VR so was thinking about trying it with a film or two.

Any pointers on how to do the conversion would be appreciated.

hoggert

I finally got around to renting this from Amazon and I have to say this best movie I've seen all year despite this is only the second movie I've watched this year besides Rogue One on Netflix.

I will officially, and canonically, forgive James Gunn for his involvement in Lollipop Chainsaw due to the nature and (HEART) of this film.

I hope there is a Guardians of the Galaxy 31 starring Sly Stallone and his buddies lol

All jokes aside, I loved this movie. And scared my gf when the Sovereign started talking about Adam and I stood up and yelled cuz I loved the Infinity Watch comics as a kid for some stupid reason.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Watching this again i am reminded how much i loved this film. more so than wonder woman and spider-man homecoming.

HotHamBoy

Right. I'm asking what tools did you use to convert the video? Normally I just rip my discs to MKV w/o compression for use with Plex, but that's all 2D stuff.

Never bothered with a 3D TV, so haven't yet picked up any 3D Blus, but did recently get a Gear VR so was thinking about trying it with a film or two.

Any pointers on how to do the conversion would be appreciated.

I mean, i just downloaded them like a disgusting pig.

But if you want to do your own conversions im sure there is a guide you can google.

Oculus Video will sell and rent you 3D movies directly in the app.

I highly recommend renting Dredd for $4.99 if you want a no-fuss awesome 3D movie experience with your Gear.

Life of Pi is also available to rent for $4.99 and it has fantastic 3D, too. Good movie to boot.

Davide

Rewatching the film and listening to the mixtape I may like the music even more than in the first one.

Can't believe Fox on the Run wasn't in the movie though.

DeathyBoy

Banned

1) Wildly more colorful

The soundtrack, if you actually pay attention, is literally telling story of how Meredith fell in love with Ego, wandered aimlessly when he wasn't there, had Peter and then wanted to tell Peter who Ego was but could only do it via song.

Also, the song about Brandy is a stunning choice because the villain sees it as being about him and his life when in context it's actually about Meredith and her sadness at being left behind each time Ego went home.

James Gunn is a damn, damn good writer.

Just got this on 4K this morning here in the UK. No time to watch it though. Think I'll have a night in with this and Ghost in the Shell (which i haven't watched yet), all in 4K goodness sometime next week. Oh, I might get a pair of Dolby Atmos speakers first!

DeathyBoy

Banned
Possibly could be the strongest trilogy alongside Cap if GOTG3 sticks the landing.

I just hope the four year time jump/Avengers 3/4 don't fuck it up.

Kinda sad GOTG isn't a TV show actually. I just love spending time with those characters. All those complaints about GOTG 2 being filler made me laugh, because these damn characters are just so well defined that spending two hours with them is a genuine pleasure.

I absolutely loved the film. GotG is by far my fave MCU movies.

My only complaint really is that on a rewatch young Kurt Russel in the beginning of the movie looked kinda creepy lol. It's like they exaggerated some of his features in his facial bone structure and it looks like an alien imitation of Kurt Russel.

Which is odd since young Michael Douglas and RDJ looked so great.

My only complaint really is that on a rewatch young Kurt Russel in the beginning of the movie looked kinda creepy lol. It's like they exaggerated some of his features in his facial bone structure and it looks like an alien imitation of Kurt Russel.

I've had a similar reaction the first time, but when i rewatched it, especially after looking at pictures of a young Kurt Russell, it went away. In my case, it might have been the fact that when i picture him in my head, it's in his more grizzled versions with a mustache, beard, or five o clock shadow, so seeing him young and clean shaven with his fairly unique features felt off to me. Anecdotal evidence, but my best friend who is quite good at picking out spotty CGI and also a big fan of Russell, immediately praised the deaging effect.

Jashobeam

I just finished watching it in 4k bluray, enjoyed it a lot more than when I first watched it in theaters. In terms of visuals, one scene really stood out to me, the scene just after the "mary poppins" line with the camera panning around the guardians and the explosion in the background looked absolutely stunning in 4k/hdr.

Humidex

This one's a keeper. Way more consistent than the first one.

Looking forward to Gunn's take on Starsky & Hutch sometime on Amazon Video.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I mean if it does, it's not like Ego is actually human. He's a celestial claiming different forms so he can seduce in order to have children.

deleted

I mean if it does, it's not like Ego is actually human. He's a celestial claiming different forms so he can seduce in order to have children.

That's one of the problems I had with the film. It's Scifi aspects are a little lazy. Why does every race get Kurt Russell? Why doesn't ego look like the specific race each time? No wonder there where no 'good' children..

And the end fight got down to a simple overpowered humans fight when it could have been a lot more. The inner workings of Ego could have been a little more explained too. Why does everything fall apart in a dramatic extent, when the two of them are fighting?

The character moments where incredibly well done and the way the Ost works in this movies is also not often seen - but the overall story arc in this movies felt a little unfocused.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's one of the problems I had with the film. It's Scifi aspects are a little lazy. Why does every race get Kurt Russell? Why doesn't ego look like the specific race each time? No wonder there where no 'good' children..

And the end fight got down to a simple overpowered humans fight when it could have been a lot more. The inner workings of Ego could have been a little more explained too. Why does everything fall apart in a dramatic extent, when the two of them are fighting?

The character moments where incredibly well done and the way the Ost works in this movies is also not often seen - but the overall story arc in this movies felt a little unfocused.

I thought the implication was that each race got someone new, but we saw Kurt Russell because he's a famous actor cast in the role.

Because an Ego without an Id or a SuperEgo is reckless.

Movie did absolutely nothing for me. The jokes felt forced and suffered from comedy sequelitis and the soundtrack was a big downgrade. Only character I kinda liked was Gamora. The third act and the villain were bad, as usual, and it's hard to reconcile the tone of the movie and the "family" vibe Gunn is going for with all the gratuitous murdering from characters we're supposed to care about. The Peter / Yondu relationship also felt kinda retconned even though I know they hinted at it in Vol 1. One thing I'll give the movie is that it's just superb visually. Great use of colors.

Not terrible by any means but completely forgettable for me and my least favorite comic-book movie of 2017 so far. 2/5

I just finished watching it in 4k bluray, enjoyed it a lot more than when I first watched it in theaters. In terms of visuals, one scene really stood out to me, the scene just after the "mary poppins" line with the camera panning around the guardians and the explosion in the background looked absolutely stunning in 4k/hdr.
Yeah the 4k/HDR is great on this movie and I have to agree I like the movie more in second viewing which is rare for me. I wasn't a huge fan when I saw it in a theatre because I thought the plot was too thin and very little happens. But after stepping back the character moments do sort of carry the film more than I thought and it is visually wonderful. I don't love it but I'm not as down on it as I was before.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Movie did absolutely nothing for me. The jokes felt forced and suffered from comedy sequelitis and the soundtrack was a big downgrade. Only character I kinda liked was Gamora. The third act and the villain were bad, as usual, and it's hard to reconcile the tone of the movie and the "family" vibe Gunn is going for with all the gratuitous murdering from characters we're supposed to care about. The Peter / Yondu relationship also felt kinda retconned even though I know they hinted at it in Vol 1. One thing I'll give the movie is that it's just superb visually. Great use of colors.

Not terrible by any means but completely forgettable for me and my least favorite comic-book movie of 2017 so far. 2/5

I don't see how Quill and Yondu is retconned at all given Peter outright says "yeah, but he was the only Dad I ever had" in GOTG.

I don't see how Quill and Yondu is retconned at all given Peter outright says "yeah, but he was the only Dad I ever had" in GOTG.

That's why I said "kinda retconned" ;P
I am aware that most of the backstory was already there.

I don't know, the character of Yondu just doesn't work for me across both films. He's too much of a murderer and a scumbag to be likable. And in Vol 1, despite that particular line, I thought the relationship between the two was way too antagonistic to suddenly transform into something so heartfelt by the end of Vol 2. Yondu felt like a secondary character in Vol 1 that Gunn fell in love with once the movie was done and decided to push as this integral part of Vol 2. Hey, maybe that was the plan all along but that relationship just wasn't believable for me which led to the entire emotional payoff off the film falling flat. His whole arc with the Ravagers and him being such a beloved figure as proven by his funeral also felt super forced, he never really earned that kind of respect prior to the very end of 2.

ajim

Definitely better than the first.

I really really like Mantis as a character and the innocent connection she had with drax made it all the more enjoyable.

Great to see yondu get a lot of screen time too.

Not 100% on ego, kind of feel like it escalated to his destruction a little too easily and quickly considering the power and control he has on that planet.

Otherwise pretty good!

img_20170903_133138x7lxv.jpg

That's why I said "kinda retconned" ;P
I am aware that most of the backstory was already there.

I don't know, the character of Yondu just doesn't work for me across both films. He's too much of a murderer and a scumbag to be likable. And in Vol 1, despite that particular line, I thought the relationship between the two was way too antagonistic to suddenly transform into something so heartfelt by the end of Vol 2. Yondu felt like a secondary character in Vol 1 that Gunn fell in love with once the movie was done and decided to push as this integral part of Vol 2. Hey, maybe that was the plan all along but that relationship just wasn't believable for me which led to the entire emotional payoff off the film falling flat. His whole arc with the Ravagers and him being such a beloved figure as proven by his funeral also felt super forced, he never really earned that kind of respect prior to the very end of 2.
I always felt the subtlety was very clear (heh) regarding Yondu's affection for Quill in vol. 1. You can tell he's protecting him while putting on a show in front of his shipmates/crew. Even at the end when he smiles knowing he was duped. It fits right in with where the story goes in vol. 2.

Top Bottom