• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrila Games loses employee to expiring visa

Darsxx82

Layoffs suck, but they are a common reality. Microsoft laying off 1,900 employees is not the issue. The issue was Microsoft acquiring a company and firing 1,500+ employees of the acquired company within 3 months.

A lot of folks warned against this type of mega-merger and industry consolidation. But people cheered them on, despite the potential risks, just so they could get years-old games on Game Pass.

The irony is that 1,900+ employees (1,900 families!) lost their jobs and Xbox gamers didn't even get those games on Game Pass.

Apart from that acquire-and-fire that people are pissed about, most understand the reality of business and the unfortunate truth of layoffs, which is common and becoming more and more common (unfortunately!). Sony is not exempt from that either and may very well fire some people down the road or even close off a studio like Media Molecule that has been a liability for some time.

I repeat, I have already expressed my opinion about the dismissals at MS (which is already sad enough), even more so about the way they were done. They are ethically unjustifiable after deceiving employees with false promises.

From there, the interesting thing is to know what this process of massive layoffs and closure of Studios is due to and, clearly, it is far from being just part of the consolidation process, no matter how much people want to blame it solely on this.

In the case of ABK, no one can assure that if there had not been an acquisition, layoffs would not occur... In fact, even less so today.
Then there is this specific case that at the date of the purchase announcement ABK had 12,000 employees and after two years of process it has ended with 17,000. Layoffs in any acquisition are a fact. The point is that here there was an exaggerated contracting process previously also surely anticipating that the purchase would be a fact and therefore a subsequent problem for MS.

That is to say, not everything is caused by consolidation because that does not explain that companies that have not had or been in the process of purchasing Studios and that have shown decent or even record-breaking results have made massive layoffs, closure of Studios or cancellation of projects...

Luckily I applied for PR in Japan as engineer as soon as I could.
Now I can lost my job and keep touching my balls in Japan forever 😂 . No more visa issues .

I'm sure there will be layoffs from some of Sony's studios, but overall, Playstation studios has continued to expand year after year. They have the advantage of being a hardware seller. Where they get 100% of revenue from their own games plus the added benefit of enticing players to their ecosystem by releasing those games

That's why I don't get the argument why Sony's AAA games are unsustainable. Sony's revenue is mostly generated from MTX, subscriptions, and selling 3rd party software, not first party games. Their AAA games are a major reason why gamers join their ecosystem. For pretty much every other publisher, the AAA model is unsustainable, but not for Sony, imo
When,you count Nintendo in its two...ore ore you dont count Nintendo games not as AAA games.

Darsxx82

It feels disingenuous to come into a thread that was clearly not much of anything and jump in with, "Why are people saying this won't happen? It could. There were leaks". The only thing anyone in this thread did was point out that this was not evidence of layoffs because it was one person who said their visa was expiring and they had to leave the country. You were trying to make something out of a nothingburger and pointing fingers at shadows to do it.

It is curious how you interpret at your convenience and censor specific comments to identify them as disingenuous and then it only occurs to you to be equally disingenuous by accusing and prejudging.

Since when is it out of place to remember the existence of an recent internal mandate from Sony to its Studios to make cuts, lay off and close Studios something out of place in a thread that proposed the possibility of starting layoffs in a Sony Studio???🤔

The impression is left that you simply don't feel like it, and you don't want to discuss that situation and it bothers you when people put it on the table.

You see? We are all capable of making prejudices 😉

SJRB

Gold Member
4r7U908.png

It's Joever

Darsxx82

I'm sure there will be layoffs from some of Sony's studios, but overall, Playstation studios has continued to expand year after year. They have the advantage of being a hardware seller. Where they get 100% of revenue from their own games plus the added benefit of enticing players to their ecosystem by releasing those games

That's why I don't get the argument why Sony's AAA games are unsustainable. Sony's revenue is mostly generated from MTX, subscriptions, and selling 3rd party software, not first party games. Their AAA games are a major reason why gamers join their ecosystem. For pretty much every other publisher, the AAA model is unsustainable, but not for Sony, imo
I agree with your statement about Sony. But just a note... MS has job offers open in most of its Studios. Including those where layoffs occurred recently (343, Coalition, The Initiative, Bethesda....)

Clearly there is a large proportion of layoffs that are part of staff adjustments and renewal or hiring in more necessary positions..... But this occurs in all companies.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Why is this news? Who gives a shit. Oh no an expiring visa for some rando. Stop the fucking press.

Really?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It is curious how you interpret at your convenience and censor specific comments to identify them as disingenuous and then it only occurs to you to be equally disingenuous by accusing and prejudging.

Since when is it out of place to remember the existence of an recent internal mandate from Sony to its Studios to make cuts, lay off and close Studios something out of place in a thread that proposed the possibility of starting layoffs in a Sony Studio???🤔

The impression is left that you simply don't feel like it, and you don't want to discuss that situation and it bothers you when people put it on the table.

You see? We are all capable of making prejudices 😉

Let me break down for you how your posts have gone in this thread.

Thread gets made. It's a nothingburger because it's a tweet of a senior community manager with an expiring visa. People point this out. That this alone is nowhere near enough to start declaring layoffs.

Enter you. Wondering why people are acting like layoffs won't happen. No one did that. You spout off about the leaks. To just basically say, 'It's probably gonna happen guys". Yes. Layoffs will likely happen. What is your point? This ain't it.

So, then you decide to qualify yourself in insisting that you think what Microsoft did was wrong. To then turn right around and basically say, "Buuuuuut is it reeeeeally their fault"? By arguing that consolidation isn't the sole reason it happened. That ABK might have laid people off anyways. That they hired a bunch of people and it left Microsoft with a problem.

Your angle in this thread ain't a good look at all. Ya really just look like a rat trying to make something out of this. If you have some great wisdom to share about layoffs and consolidation, just make a thread about it. You chose a very odd route by jumping into a thread about what is essentially nothing to tell people that Sony is probably gonna do layoffs and that somehow Microsoft ain't to blame THAT much.

If your intentions were truly genuine, great. Ignore me then and I'll do the same. But I have my doubts.

Work visas in Holland (where Guerilla is located) have to be extended WAY before the supposed end date.
My guess is she didn't file for an extension in time.

She can always appeal to the decision.

I agree with your statement about Sony. But just a note... MS has job offers open in most of its Studios. Including those where layoffs occurred recently (343, Coalition, The Initiative, Bethesda....)

Clearly there is a large proportion of layoffs that are part of staff adjustments and renewal or hiring in more necessary positions..... But this occurs in all companies.
THIS. ISNT. A. FUCKING. LAYOFF.

Stop twisting this into something it's not.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Let me break down for you how your posts have gone in this thread.

Thread gets made. It's a nothingburger because it's a tweet of a senior community manager with an expiring visa. People point this out. That this alone is nowhere near enough to start declaring layoffs.

Enter you. Wondering why people are acting like layoffs won't happen. No one did that. You spout off about the leaks. To just basically say, 'It's probably gonna happen guys". Yes. Layoffs will likely happen. What is your point? This ain't it.

Meanwhile you just forgot one note.... It was you who thought it appropriate to answer my comment with a personal attack and prejudices. Without that, of course my participation here would have only remained an (whether you believe it or not, I don't care) innocent participation.
You basically confirm that it bothered you, certainly not because it was out of place 😉
So, then you decide to qualify yourself in insisting that you think what Microsoft did was wrong. To then turn right around and basically say, "Buuuuuut is it reeeeeally their fault"? By arguing that consolidation isn't the sole reason it happened. That ABK might have laid people off anyways. That they hired a bunch of people and it left Microsoft with a problem.
Again fabricating interpretations from prejudice.... to no one's surprise.

The fact is that you do not even need to interpret because it is not necessary, I have been quite clear when differentiating between what is ethically unjustifiable and despicable (the way of announcing layoffs after false promises and after showing record profits for a 3T company ) and then discuss the economic reason for these layoffs, which I think (seeing the situation of the industru) are definitely not just a cause of consolidation, as many are pointing out to settle accounts with those who at the time defended the suitability of the acquisition.

Only someone with great prejudices can see it right to make a castle out of a molehill from that opinion🙃

Your angle in this thread ain't a good look at all. Ya really just look like a rat trying to make something out of this. If you have some great wisdom to share about layoffs and consolidation, just make a thread about it. You chose a very odd route by jumping into a thread about what is essentially nothing to tell people that Sony is probably gonna do layoffs and that somehow Microsoft ain't to blame THAT much.

I repeat, as in a thread where the possibility of possible layoffs in a Sony Studio is raised, it can be understood that it is out of the question to remember a recent internal mandate from Sony itself to its Studios to make layoffs and cuts.....🤔 🙃 I would like to see that same energy from you (including personal attacks and disqualifications) to anyone who supposedly makes out of the place comments in each thread of this forum.... 😏
If your intentions were truly genuine, great. Ignore me then and I'll do the same. But I have my doubts.

It was as easy as having ignored my initial comment. But OK, maybe the option of ignoring each other is best at this point.

I wish you a good day.

Varteras

Gold Member
Meanwhile you just forgot one note.... It was you who thought it appropriate to answer my comment with a personal attack and prejudices. Without that, of course my participation here would have only remained an (whether you believe it or not, I don't care) innocent participation.
You basically confirm that it bothered you, certainly not because it was out of place 😉

Again fabricating interpretations from prejudice.... to no one's surprise.

The fact is that you do not even need to interpret because it is not necessary, I have been quite clear when differentiating between what is ethically unjustifiable and despicable (the way of announcing layoffs after false promises and after showing record profits for a 3T company ) and then discuss the economic reason for these layoffs, which I think (seeing the situation of the industru) are definitely not just a cause of consolidation, as many are pointing out to settle accounts with those who at the time defended the suitability of the acquisition.

Only someone with great prejudices can see it right to make a castle out of a molehill from that opinion🙃

I repeat, as in a thread where the possibility of possible layoffs in a Sony Studio is raised, it can be understood that it is out of the question to remember a recent internal mandate from Sony itself to its Studios to make layoffs and cuts.....🤔 🙃 I would like to see that same energy from you (including personal attacks and disqualifications) to anyone who supposedly makes out of the place comments in each thread of this forum.... 😏

It was as easy as having ignored my initial comment. But OK, maybe the option of ignoring each other is best at this point.

I wish you a good day.

Lol you're so full of shit. Good day.

MarkMe2525

Great example of why we should refrain from jumping to conclusions. The need for certain individuals to receive perceived clout, by breaking a story first, is many times in direct opposition to truth. The people who decide to share these sensationalist statements, without an ounce of thought to its accuracy, are just as culpable in the spread of misinformation. Unfortunately, this has become normal and I see no push for change.

Are people seriously making a topic over one employee having their visa expire and them having to leave the job? I mean... what the fuck LMAO. Work visa expires when company doesnt renew your visa. Newsflash, its same for everyone everywhere on the planet, stop trying to make clickbait out of everything, this is reaching into the void of a black hole level of consipracy.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Layoffs suck, but they are a common reality. Microsoft laying off 1,900 employees is not the issue. The issue was Microsoft acquiring a company and firing 1,500+ employees of the acquired company within 3 months.
They also spent the entire past year telling us what great employers they'd be to the acquired company's employees.

You don't get to fill the public's ears with propaganda about how much better you are than other companies and then try to stick yourself into an industry wide trend like you said nothing.

Words and actions both matter.

Edmund

D Darsxx82 wishing so hard Guerilla Games/PlayStation studios starts announcing layoffs to make Microsoft seem less like a bad guy. Fucking clown. Lol.

Top Bottom