• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games begins mass hiring for new title.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Under the developer’s job listing page, there is 13 new positions (12 listed here) hiring for their next title, all posted 18 hours ago at the time of this article going live. While there are no words like “next generation”, it most likely won’t launch on PS4 this late in the generation.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-02-at-1.59.53-PM.png

VertigoOA

Banned
Please be Killzone 4 and not Horizon 2

I second this. Horizon was the most overrated game of the gen. I appreciated the the snappiness of the combat and enemy design but movement, map layout and pretty much everything else about it felt archaic.

The tomb raider/uncharted/prince if persia styled on-rails platforming was trash. Complete trash. The movement was too clunky.

Someone went out and painted all these ledges yellow... lol

Last edited:

xool

I second this. Horizon was the most overrated game of the gen. I appreciated the the snappiness of the combat and enemy design but movement, map layout and pretty much everything else about it felt archaic.

The tomb raider/uncharted/prince if persia styled on-rails platforming was trash. Complete trash. The movement was too clunky.

Someone went out and painted all these ledges yellow... lol

I agree.

In fairness they admitted that the climbing tech (they would have liked) wasn't ready/finished and what was in the game wasn't great.

A new Killzone gives them time to refine their tech, and two IPs gives a longer thinking period between production. That last thing HZD2 needs is to be frogmarched out the door on autopilot for next gen.

Hopefully HZD learn will inform a new Killzone and make it better (I'd like TPS options btw if you listening)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Seeing as Horizon sold about 5 times as much as Shadow Fall, and was in contrast actually a good game, I think it's safe to bet on which we'll see.

DanielsM

Banned
Seeing as Horizon sold about 5 times as much as Shadow Fall, and was in contrast actually a good game, I think it's safe to bet on which we'll see.

Both are mostly likely in development, I wouldn't be surprised by one in 2020-2021, and another one in 2021-2022. They have rapidly expanded the size of the team there and GG has said they want games to come out quicker, which is surprising as they have been pretty good release schedule - 2009 KZ2, 2011 KZ3, 2013 KZSF, and 2017 HZD . KZSF campaign was a little hollow but the MP was freaking great, imo. KZSF had less then a 1.5 year dev cycle, the campaign definitely took the hit for that.

My guess KZ first, as a launch PS5 window release i.e. late 2020 - early 2021.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

Pretty sure Horizon outsold the entire Killzone franchise, so yeah, wouldn't count on another Killzone anytime soon.

DanielsM

Banned
Pretty sure Horizon outsold the entire Killzone franchise, so yeah, wouldn't count on another Killzone anytime soon.

Yeah, but that isn't how it works, generally speaking, they're next game was already in pre-production/production when Horizon was released.... if Horizon 2 was in pre-production than you will most likely see it first . You don't just have 500 people sitting around for a year waiting on the sales of the game, if Killzone was already planned than they probably went right into KZ development... in late 2016.

Last edited:

nowhat

You don't just have 500 people sitting around for a year waiting on the sales of the game
True, but when HZD was released Guerrilla was 200-something people. A relatively small studio by AAA standards. That's not to say those people would be sitting on their arses - but at the same time, with a team that size there may not be enough people to work on two titles at the same time.

Last edited:

KiteGr

I loved Horizon much more than Killzone.
Killzone is good, but there are already tons of military shooters on consoles...
...and so are open world collectathons, but how often can you tell "I've killed a robotic T-rex by luring it into a wire trap, ripping out it's guns and shooting it with them, while being equipped with sticks and bows." in other games.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Sony need their own FPS, I don’t think Killzone is the answer maybe the team does a completely original IP. Killzone is to stained going forward never living up to expections and always labeled as a Halo killer when it didn’t have to be. It just had to be better then what was done, or where’s Socom at actually.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
True, but when HZD was released Guerrilla was 200-something people. A relatively small studio by AAA standards. That's not to say those people would be sitting on their arses - but at the same time, with a team that size there may not be enough people to work on two titles at the same time.

They were probably already into production in late 2016 on the next title, you don't have hundreds of people sitting there plus third party contractors. That's why they have smaller pre-production teams that work on the concept and pre-production for years before production starts, of course, usually the second game is significantly reduced.

Whatever game was already in production is most likely was continued on, why would they stop production of a game already in progress? Whatever game they were working on first will most likely be the first one out the door. I'm expecting 2 games, one in 2020-2021, and another one 2021-2022, my guess Killzone is first.

I am not fond of the mass hiring sprees because it will inevitably lead to mass layoffs as they grew too rapidly and development is coming to an end on the project.

DanielsM

Banned
I am not fond of the mass hiring sprees because it will inevitably lead to mass layoffs as they grew too rapidly and development is coming to an end on the project.

This is fairly routine in development, meaning people are hired or contracted for particular stages of development. So, many artists move from project to project and company to company. Headcount goes up and than can shrink at certain parts of development.

This is fairly routine in development, meaning people are hired or contracted for particular stages of development. So, many artists move from project to project and company to company. Headcount goes up and than can shrink at certain parts of development.
Yeah, I know and a lot of artists have a difficult time being picked up anywhere because there are so many of them.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah, I know and a lot of artists have a difficult time being picked up anywhere because there are so many of them.

Its part of it, of course, that can be a benefit, meaning... a person has flexibility and doesn't get burned out on one particular company or project... and can take more time off. The downside is, some of these people are constantly looking for employment after their part of the project is over. But this happens in all types of industries though. People don't realize how much is contracted out, and their must always be something for the people to work on... which isn't always possible.

Its part of it, of course, that can be a benefit, meaning... a person has flexibility and doesn't get burned out on one particular company or project... and can take more time off. The downside is, some of these people are constantly looking for employment after their part of the project is over. But this happens in all types of industries though. People don't realize how much is contracted out, and their must always be something for the people to work on... which isn't always possible.
I'm well aware of how much is contracted out. I work in IT and a lot of my industry is contracted out too. It's infuriating and I am so grateful to be in a position that isn't contracted because I love where I am and fully intend on being here indefinitely. I have a lot of friends who are artists and are incredibly talented people who can't find roles after being laid off and what they really want is something stable, a place to call home. It's why we're seeing more and more indie games because they're wanting to do something other than look for a job.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Please be Killzone 4 and not Horizon 2

Opposite for me. Never cared much for Killzone or most shooters, while Horizon is second behind God of War on my current game of the generation list.

Birdo

Banned
Opposite for me. Never cared much for Killzone or most shooters, while Horizon is second behind God of War on my current game of the generation list.

It's mostly Genre. Sony don't actually have any FPS games. They really don't need ANOTHER fucking third person adventure game.

A little genre diversity goes a long way.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's mostly Genre. Sony don't actually have any FPS games. They really don't need ANOTHER fucking third person adventure game.

A little genre diversity goes a long way.

Oh I agree when it comes to sales.

However, third person, cinematic, narrative-driven games are my main jam. If enough of them came out to keep me busy I'd play nothing else. Plus I don't mind the dudebro shooter crowd mostly staying on Xbox. :messenger_tongue:

Arun1910

Some actress on the first leaked that a 2nd one was in the works and it sold way better than Killzone so yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

spectyre

I could see them doing a complete reboot of Killzone. Maybe start on Vekta just before the mass exodus to Helgahn.

Se_7_eN

Shellshock Nam 67 remastered. You saw it here!

I was a big fan of SHELLSHOCK, they released it about a year after we released SOCOM II and it played pretty similarly (Minus the team and orders)... I think the series would have done a lot better if they had added multiplayer to it.

I would be very interested to see what Guerrilla could do with the series now... But, we all know if they tried to revive it the internet would explode over their "feelings", it was a very dark and gritty game.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
People like Killzone?

I liked Killzone SF, I mean the campaign was kind of hollow but the MP was freaking great. Killzone Merc was awesome on the Vita. Sales aren't Spider-man but appear to be pretty good. The thought by Sony I believe is they didn't want to compete so much with the multi-platform titles like COD and BF.

They could probably use another KZ title, not sure it will ever sell COD numbers, I don't think every title needs to sell 10m units. To me Killzone 4 or 5, and SoCom would be good in the third party segment, I actually think Days Gone could be basis for a Socom reboot as far as MP. I'm not big on third person shooters for MP but I actually really like the shooting in Days Gone. Sony should be throwing money down the Bend Studio pie hole right now.... they have some great stuff going on,imo.

I'm down with this in the more shooting type games:
Killzone 2/3 Remaster
Killzone 4
Days Gone: Socom (Reboot Socom with mechanics/tech of Days Gone)
Days Gone 2

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When I'm a AAA developer I'll always seek out employees for games I fight so hard for, one game last gen would have been enough for GG (Shadow Fall = AA) I don't know how long Horizon will last but you better rely on it now because in 3 years look at all the possibilities from other developers.

DanielsM

Banned
When I'm a AAA developer I'll always seek out employees for games I fight so hard for, one game last gen would have been enough for GG (Shadow Fall = AA) I don't know how long Horizon will last but you better rely on it now because in 3 years look at all the possibilities from other developers.

You might not like it, or it might not be your cup of tea but its a AAA title.

Its like COD titles, campaign mehhh, visually impressive but kind of hollow... MP is top tier though, I tell you what, you show me a AA studio pushing out KZSF-type MP. Not many companies have that going on at that level, what do you think.... like 5 guys got together in a garage to make that? still might be the most impressive graphical game on the PS4 after almost 6 years.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You might not like it, or it might not be your cup of tea but its a AAA title.
Lets just say for the sake of argument, how long before we see another Killzone? See we already have an answer, right here right now would gamers buy a new Killzone? Killzone is now the third wheel to Horizon and GG's other projects. This is about SONY's and GG's next AAA shooter, adventure game and keep the AAA production flowing.

Top Bottom