• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Announcement

Retro

wYT8Isx.png

Mbm0v9c.png

New Heart of Maguuma region
New adventures await you in the heart of the Maguuma Jungle. Confront the growing hordes of Mordremoth's minions, discover allies from
ancient civilizations, and battle new enemies.
  • Tackle challenging group content.
  • Explore new open world jungle maps.
  • Experience new events and storylines.
  • Test your mettle in new boss battles.
Mastery System
We're reimagining progression with our new Mastery system. Explore new training opportunities for your character beyond level 80 and master
abilities like hang gliding in the jungle, tearing the bark off of heavily armored Mordrem, or building new collections that earn precursors to a
legendary weapon.

Specializations
Evolve your gameplay. With profession specializations, you'll unlock access to a weapon previously unavailable to your profession as well
as new traits, skills, and unique mechanics - all of which will transform your profession into something new.
Example: Rangers can specialize as Druids.
New Weapons shown: Engineer Hammer, Mesmer Shield, Necromancer Greatsword

New Profession: Revenant
Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: the Revenant. Enter the
field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.

Guild Halls
Your guild has roamed the world together. Now, it's time to claim a piece of it. Work with fellow guild members to claim and grow your own
guild hall in the heart of Maguuma.

New "Stronghold" PVP Game Mode
Gather supply to hire soldiers. Battle for control of heroes. Man the trebuchet to defend your stronghold, and storm the enemy gates to defeat
the guild lord! Use our new guild team feature to team up and battle to the top of the leaderboards. Stronghold offers an entirely new way to play
competitive PvP in Guild Wars 2!

New WvW Borderland
Experience epic battlefield combat like never before in World vs. World's latest core addition, the new Borderlands map. Navigate treacherous
heights with traps that blow your foes to the depths below and ferocious defenders to help keep the enemy at bay. Map objectives will be more
important than ever before, as they'll unlock new strategies, tactics, and play mechanics that you'll want to use to your world's advantage!

Heart of Thorns FAQ: (Official FAQ here)
  • No release date announced at this time, but it will be playable at PAX East (March 6-8th).
  • No price announced at this time, but it will be available digitally and at retail.
  • Requires the base game to play.
  • There will be an early-access Beta, but details are not available at this time.
  • No new gear tier or level cap increase.
rBMgIiT.png

Blog Posts:
Journey into the Heart of Maguuma (Outposts & Adventures)
Reimagining Progression: The Mastery System
Revenant: The Master of the Mists
Meet the Wyvern in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Articles:
IGN: How Guild Wars 2’s Mastery System Could Change MMOs Forever
Polygon: Introducing Guild Wars 2's new profession: The Revenant

Videos:
PAX South announcement of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns – Expansion Announcement Trailer
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns - First Look at the Wilds of Maguuma Jungle

Screenshots:

7mZUjyG.png

(Seriously, the following contains spoilers for the last two years of story right up to two weeks ago, read at your own peril!)
Guild Wars 2's storyline involves the imminent reawakening of several ancient Elder Dragons, enormous creatures that devour magic and the various
races that use them. During the events of the Personal Story that shipped with the game at launch, players joined with a band of heroes known as Destiny's
Edge to face and eventually defeat the Elder Undead Dragon, Zhaitan.

Beginning in January of 2013, ArenaNet began the ambitious "Living World" in which new episodes of story-driven content were added to the game every
month (starting in May 2013, these episodes began release every two weeks).

The first Season of the Living World dealt primarily with a deranged Sylvari named Scarlet Briar who united various enemy factions into an army and used
their various magic and technology to further her own goals. Her main objective was to seek out and disrupt Ley Lines, streams of magical energy that flow
within the planet, directing the energy towards the slumbering Elder Dragons in an effort to awaken them early. When she discovered one of the main Ley
Lines passed beneath the city of Lion's Arch (the main hub city of the game), her army invaded and subsequently destroyed the city while Scarlet's massive
drilling platform dug into the earth beneath the city's inner harbor.

The season ended with the player killing Scarlet, but not before she was able to disrupt the Ley Line and redirect its energy deep into the western frontier
where Mordremoth, the Elder Jungle Dragon, stirred for the first time in over 10,000 years.

Season 2 began with an attack on the Zephyrites, a nomadic culture devoted to the teachings of Glint, a minor dragon who's Flameseeker Prophecies
defined much of the original Guild Wars Prophecies campaign. Their floating sanctuary crashed into the arid Maguuma Wastes, where players immediately
discovered both the origins of Scarlet's Madness and that the Zephyrites had inherited more than just Glint's wisdom. An unhatched dragon egg with the
potential to change the fight against the elder dragons was discovered in their care, though it was stolen by Caithe (one of the members of Destiny's Edge)
shortly thereafter. By tracking Caithe through the wilderness and experiencing visions of her past, players discovered that the Sylvari, one of the playable races,
are actually minions of Mordremoth who have retained their free will only by a twist of fate.

As the remaining members of Destiny's Edge lead a massive airship attack into the heart of the jungle, their Sylvari allies fall under control of the dragon and
betray them as the fleet is completely destroyed, the fate of several key characters unknown. This is where Heart of Thorns is expected to pick up...

DApEBjr.png

During this special weekend only you can pick up a copy of Guild Wars 2 for 75% off. That's $9.99 US, a ridiculously low price to pay for a game of this magnitude.
The sale applies only to the Digital Heroic Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time on January 24, 2015,
through 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on January 25, 2015. Sale Extended until 9am Pacific Time on January 26th!
Time Remaining for sale:
t1422291600z4.png

nTgM44x.png

"I only see the Heroic Edition, where's the regular game?"
The Heroic Edition replaced the basic version of the game about a year after launch.

"Should I buy the Digital Deluxe edition?"
Probably not. Most of the items it grants are either short term boosts or cosmetic items and the special Elite skill is slightly below average in terms of usefulness.
If you decide you want those items later, you can always buy the Digital Deluxe upgrade in game.

If you want to spend extra money, you are better off buying gems (the in-game cash shop currency) for things like extra bank space, armor skins or convenience items.

"How much does it cost to play?"
Guild Wars 2 has no subscription fees; once you purchase the game you're free to spend as much or as little money as you'd like. Cash shop items are convenience or
cosmetic only, and in-game gold can be converted into the cash shop currency ("gems") so you're never forced to pay real money for any cash shop items you want to buy.

"Any advice for new players?"
Advice for new players here!

"Are there Oceanic Servers?"
There are not. However, several members of the guild from Australia and Southeast Asia report minimal latency issues when connecting to the North American Server.

"I bought the game and haven't played since _______, what's changed?"
A lot. Like a huge amount has happened in just the last few months. For a list of all the releases and a quick list of new features, see the wiki's Releases page.
Alternatively, you can scroll down to the second section of this post for just the major bullet points.

Is there a GAF Guild?
Yes, the GAF-based guild "Gaming Age Force [GAF] is quite active and has room for new and returning players. Simply post your account name (name.####) in the
community OT
and one of our officers will invite you ASAP. Anyone is free to join, including friends and family, though we ask that potential members follow the guild's
policies
(which are basically just NeoGAF's rules on hate speech and trolling).

We're a fairly laid back group that doesn't focus on any particular part of the game; you're just as likely to see GAFers in World vs. World as you are doing dungeons or
world events. There is no pressure to attend any guild events and we have no rules on representation (you can belong to 5 guilds at once, but only "Represent" one at
a time; some guilds have mandatory representation for.... whatever reason.)

GAFGuild plays predominantly on the Stormbluff Isle server, but due to the game's network structure players from any North American server can jump between servers
without paying to transfer. EU players who are interested in playing with GAFGuild should know that we have several European players who report minimal latency when
playing on North American servers.

Does Evilore Play Guild Wars 2 yet?
No, Evilore still does not play Guild Wars 2.

Awesome thread Retro! I nominate you for OT5.

I think someone posted that the sale is also available on gamestop.com.

I am so excited about this stream, can't wait to see what they announce.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is this one of the most detailed announcement OTs of all time? DAMN! This is awesome.

Westraid

Beautiful OT, Retro, you did a wonderful job!

I'm really curious what will be in store. Most of all I'm hoping for a new region, so chances for disappointment on that note are slim.
Thanks for the count down timer too! Saves me some timezone calculating!

Retro

Is this one of the most detailed announcement OTs of all time? DAMN! This is awesome.

The ridiculously low sale price and big announcement means lots of new players with questions as well as a lot of folks who bought the game but perhaps haven't played in a while. Both groups benefit from having their questions answered and knowing what's already happened in the game (short answer: a lot)

It costs 39.99 euros here :( Is the sale only available in the US? I'm in Europe.

Sale starts at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time on January 24, 2015, so it'll be another 3 hours or so before the sale starts.

Thanks for the count down timer too! Saves me some timezone calculating!

It beats having to make a giant chart with all the time zones on it too.
JUWnj.gif

Still a bit disappointed you can't play through the old seasonal story. Maybe they'll announce something to let people go back and chew through it all. It IS an MMO after all...

kiguel182

Is this going to be a paid expansion?

I'm still only level 30 something I think. I wish my computer ran the game better. I really like it but playing it on low detail and crappy framerate doesn't help.

Still a bit disappointed you can't play through the old seasonal story. Maybe they'll announce something to let people go back and chew through it all. It IS an MMO after all...

On the bright side, the story really first came into its own during the end of the first season.

hythloday

Is this going to be a paid expansion?

I'm still only level 30 something I think. I wish my computer ran the game better. I really like it but playing it on low detail and crappy framerate doesn't help.

We don't really know, but probably, since the registration of a trademark implies a product to sell.

I wonder if the livestream will be spoiler-safe. I haven't played the second half of the second season yet, as we don't have a second GW2-able computer anymore (been making a point of unlocking all episodes on our accounts, though).

I don't think I'll watch it live for that reason. Retro, could you update the OP when it ends with information on how spoiler-free it is?

Retro

Updated the OP with a timer counting down to when the sale begins, just to clear up any confusion. Sorry folks!

Season 2 is replayable, and they've said that adapting Season 1 is something they would like to do "someday" but is obviously not a high priority.

For what it's worth, some the best parts of Season 1 (the Aetherblade reatreat and Molten Facility dungeons) returned as Fractals. The Marionette's spiritual successor, the Vinewrath, also just went live a couple weeks ago (it's not the same, but still pretty cool).

I don't think I'll watch it live for that reason. Retro, could you update the OP when it ends with information on how spoiler-free it is?

Absolutely. When the stream ends, I'll be kicking the generic PAX site's description out of the "Summary" section and filling in all the details we get today. I'll work on it with an eye towards spoilers and give fair warning when linking to any videos.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is this an expansion or a patch? I can't tell.

I stopped playing a few months post-launch because I felt that the combat and weapon skills felt too restricted. If I wanted to play a hammer guardian (which I did) i'd best get used to using the same 5 skills until the end of time.

Did they do anything to change up that particular aspect since release? Because i'd love to jump back in and give it another shot.

Did they do anything to change up that particular aspect since release? Because i'd love to jump back in and give it another shot.

Character still have 5 whole skill slots dedicated to weapons. I never liked it either. Much preferred the ability to make my own build instead of have a significant part of it one rotation over and over.

pelican

Hmmm

I've been thinking of going back. I've got a max level Necro, but with things changing I might just re-roll a new toon.

Retro

We don't know what it is, but all signs point to an expansion or something expansion-like. You don't drag the president of the company and the game director out to a trade show to talk about a patch, especially when they've been dropping patches about every two weeks (with a couple month-long gaps in between) for two years now.

I stopped playing a few months post-launch because I felt that the combat and weapon skills felt too restricted. If I wanted to play a hammer guardian (which I did) i'd best get used to using the same 5 skills until the end of time.

Nope, the skills are still baked into the weapons, but that seems unlikely to change in any major way since it makes your weapon choice sort of like picking a 'sub-class.' Watch this space though, because new weapon choices for existing professions is something they've mentioned doing several times, and we don't know if they'll be adding ways for players to change up or modify weapon skills.

Can I get in to Guild Wars 2 if I have not played an MMO extensively before?

It's probably better that you don't, actually; there's a lot of things Guild Wars 2 does differently than most games in the genre, so you'd have to 'unlearn' certain things, if that makes sense.

For example, there aren't any "quest hubs" where a bunch of NPCs stand around with exclamation points over their heads to indicate that they have a quest for you. Instead, it's on the player to go out into the world and participate in any dynamic events they come across. A lot of players struggle with the need for self-motivation at first, but there are little objectives scattered on the map to coax people into exploring on their own.

Hyunashi

We dont know yet but the general buzz
hope
is that it is an expansion.

Nope, weapon skills are still the same. Combat is still stale on that front after using the same attacks over and over since launch.

That's the best place to start GW2 from, as you won't bring all the preconceptions and baggage from other MMOs. One of my best friends popped his MMO cherry with GW2, and there are no words to tell how much he loves it (he has several times my playtime). Colin himself said "if you like MMOs, you should check GW2, but if you don't, you REALLY should check GW2". It's true, it's very different from other MMOs and so it appeals to a lot of people who wouldn't touch them.

hythloday

PLAYABLE KODA, BELIEVE

I haven't played seriously since September 2013, but I will for sure be back for this. Hope you guys haven't kicked me!

Honestly, the GAFguild has gotten very close to the 500-member cap many times so we've had to cull inactive members periodically. We just did one this week, anticipating we'd get a ton of new people and/or people returning because of Heart of Thorns.

But you can get re-invited right now if you want!

Tabby

You should give it a try.

I could never really get into MMOs, I've tried several MMOs but Guild Wars 2 is the only one I actually like.
I like how there's no walking around accepting and returning quests.

jesu

Honestly, the GAFguild has gotten very close to the 500-member cap many times so we've had to cull inactive members periodically. We just did one this week, anticipating we'd get a ton of new people and/or people returning because of Heart of Thorns.

But you can get re-invited right now if you want!

How do we join the guild?
Is it in game or on here?

I read on here to join a NA server, so I'm doing that.

Hoping for the best here, I enjoyed GW 2 quite a lot when I got it but and kinda burnt out on it a bit. So an expansion is exactly what I would want to get me back into it.

Question, what replaced Lions Arch if anything? i was kinda curious to see if they would keep it destroyed.

I'm here and ready for the livestream, as promised. In fact, I am updating my old GW2 client now... just in case. Let's see what you guys have planned ANet!

Well, in 2+ hours anyways.

hythloday

Head on over to the GW2 Community thread, and either post a character/account name (Name.####) in there or message one of the officers if you see us in game!

Hyunashi

Hoping for the best here, I enjoyed GW 2 quite a lot when I got it but and kinda burnt out on it a bit. So an expansion is exactly what I would want to get me back into it.

Question, what replaced Lions Arch if anything? i was kinda curious to see if they would keep it destroyed.

They basically rebuilt LA to a shell of its former self. Its no longer the hub it was.

Ndless

Banned
I want to try to this game out. The only MMO I've played was WoW, some 7 years ago.

It looks good, but so daunting at the same time. Maybe if I had other people to play with...

It's been amazing actually. People are still hanging out, but now they are also hanging out in all the racial cities. Lots of people in the racial capitals.

More: http://projecttyria.blogspot.dk/2014/02/the-fall-of-lions-arch-part-1.html
Vistas; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPoeI5Thgk

Hyunashi

I want to try to this game out. The only MMO I've played was WoW, some 7 years ago.

It looks good, but so daunting at the same time. Maybe if I had other people to play with...

You really should try it out. Its problems are not evident until you are thousands of hours in, but that in itself may be addressed in this presentation. It is not daunting at all and at its heart, it is a game for casuals. GW2 is a change of pace from what WoW offers.

jesu

Head on over to the GW2 Community thread, and either post a character/account name (Name.####) in there or message one of the officers if you see us in game!

I will do, thanks.

I've have another question too, I'll do it in there.

Auctopus

I really hope this pulls me back in to the game. I had a real good time with last Summer after I joined a Guild but got sorta bored once I'd reached max level. The living story wasn't grabbing me too much either.

I've kept it installed, however, in case the new updates revamp gameplay in any way.

Don't worry mate. It is easier to play than that.

They have made the leveling experience easier to understand for new players. You get showered in armors, and weapons, so it is hard to screw up.

You just run around. You get xp, loot, coins, karma, and everything else for what you kill. You can't steal others kills, ruin their fun or anything. You don't have to group with anybody. Everyone in the game are in one massive group together.

Because of this, people are generally more friendly than other MMOs.

You literally, walk out in the world looking for adventure. If you feel lost or if the monsters are too difficult, you can go do the lower level areas again, see new events happening from to time. You simply approach them, and you're in. It's very intuitive. No need to find the quest giver, or this or that or anything. You just move in and attack and everybody helps each other.

Guild Wars 2's combat works more like an action game, but has considerable depth.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I haven't played an MMO since Rift beta but I'm getting a bit of an itch from playing Dragon Age Inquisition. The Combat in GW2 certainly looks better. What's the current install size for the game?

Retro

Added a bit into the OP about how to join the guild.

GAF plays on the Stormbluff Isle server (NA), but you can be on any North American server and play with GAF just fine except for World vs. World (which is actually server vs. server, so you can understand why it has to be so restricted). As a guild we do not push any particular part of the game, so some members decided to play on servers with a more active world vs. world community.

So far nothing, it's still completely ruined, though there are NPCs talking about letting people back to their homes soon.

The GAFGuild usually sits at around 450 members (usually about 15-30 active at any given time of the day, quite a bit more than that during prime time and weekends.) and the game allows you to join 5 guilds at once. The game is also built so that players informally bunch up to complete events together, so even if you set out alone in the world you will still find people to play with.

I haven't played an MMO since Rift beta but I'm getting a bit of an itch from playing Dragon Age Inquisition. The Combat in GW2 certainly looks better. What's the current install size for the game?

My .dat file is currently sitting at 19.7 GB.

Gothos

I'm 99% sure I will be disappointed but we'll see... Anyway, I just want better dungeons, more skills and more robust character development.

Top Bottom