• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Announcement

Ashodin

Is story beyond vanilla GW2 worth playing ?

Or only youtube is enough ?
Season 2 being the only story you can catch (I'd watch a recap of season one), I'd say a big emphatic yes. Huge ties to gw1, and a revelation that is game changing.

Kane1345

I'm hopeful for this. I haven't played in a while (stopped playing after I made Sunrise) but I'm interested to see what they have in store. I'm hoping for end game content that's not dungeons personally.

Retro

Is story beyond vanilla GW2 worth playing ?

Or only youtube is enough ?

"Vanilla GW2" is the Personal Story, which is pretty hit or miss. It's great for the first 3 chapters or so when it's focused on your character's race and history (players pick from several backgrounds when creating their characters), but when the story moves towards the larger campaign to fight the Elder Undead Dragon it kind of loses steam.

Season 1 is currently unavailable to replay, their concept at that point was focused on the world changing quickly and permanently but they have since allowed players to replay Living World episodes due to player feedback.

Season 2 is definitely worth playing as it had a lot of great encounters and really sets the stage for things to come. It's about $2 an episode though to pick the up retroactively (free if you log in while that episode is live), but you can group up with a player who has unlocked it and play through the story with them. You just won't get any of the rewards or achievements for it.

Grudy

Great OT, retro :) I'm getting restless waiting for the stream and there's still more than 2 hours left!

Btw is the official twitch channel having a pre-stream show, or are those on their own separate channels?

So far nothing, it's still completely ruined, though there are NPCs talking about letting people back to their homes soon..

It's been amazing actually. People are still hanging out, but now they are also hanging out in all the racial cities. Lots of people in the racial capitals.

More: http://projecttyria.blogspot.dk/2014/02/the-fall-of-lions-arch-part-1.html
Vistas; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPoeI5Thgk

They basically rebuilt LA to a shell of its former self. Its no longer the hub it was.

Thanks for the replies, it's good to see them sticking to change and not just keeping it the same old. One of my gripes was how static it all felt so hopefully they keep these kind of decisions coming.

Thanks for the replies, it's good to see them sticking to change and not just keeping it the same old. One of my gripes was how static it all felt so hopefully they keep these kind of decisions coming.

Yes. Don't think it did not met backslash though. Many people where attached to Lions Arch. it caused some anger, confusion and despair. People did not actually think they would blow up the center capital.

Believe or not, zone, Kesse Hills which is a level 15-24 zone area, actually received a lot of devestation as well. It was a massive 3-4 month siege, that started with people noticing strange things going on. Then suddenly, some of the forests had been lumbered, and new enemies had begun appearing.
This resulted into a massive erection of a hellish tower, that players had to fight their way up. It felt like the fucked up anime, King of Thorn. Really cool.

A lot of insane things have happened, and the immediacy, of having been there, is one of the things that makes this game feel more like a breathing world. Other MMOs look shame as they remain annoyingly static.
It's not that GW2 is the answer to all the problems, but it's been a long time since we've seen any sort of world manipulation.

And we're still far away from engine computations that will allow players to shape the terrain freely. After having played in the Everquest Landmark beta, I am not convinced at all.

A lot of insane things have happened, and the immediacy, of having been there, is one of the things that makes this game feel more like a breathing world. Other MMOs look shame as they remain annoyingly static.
It's not that GW2 is the answer to all the problems, but it's been a long time since we've seen any sort of world manipulation.

And we're still far away from engine computations that will allow players to shape the terrain freely. After having played in the Everquest Landmark beta, I am not convinced at all.

I agree with this. I was pretty disappointed all around with the Landmark Alpha.

Levyne

Banned
I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't months and months out.

Also I still think Heart of Thorns is too particular of a name for this to be an expansion ass expansion. There's gonna be some curveball thrown in there.

I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't months and months out.

Also I still think Heart of Thorns is too particular of a name for this to be an expansion ass expansion. There's gonna be some curveball thrown in there.

As someone who plays the game almost everyday, I totally agree with this.

Please COLIN do not let me down. Give me GW2HOT next Tuesday.

Levyne

Banned
As someone who plays the game almost everyday, I totally agree with this.

Please COLIN do not let me down. Give me GW2HOT next Tuesday.

requisite (allow me to be obnoxious, thread)

xIx84dl.jpg

image should replace all that fluff in the op tbh

Mazre

In line for the reveal, haven't played in a year but getting pretty excited. Atmosphere is infectious. Wearing a Florida state fleece for anyone else that happens to be here.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'll be watching!

GAF Guild is the nicest group of people I've ever played video games with, I hope this excitement brings in plenty of new players.

Windforce

I love GW... I hope this is good.

I wonder if they ever thought of porting this game to XB1 and PS4 to expand the user base from PC only. I don't think ArenaNet/NC Soft ever commented on this.

Levyne

Banned

I wonder if they ever thought of porting this game to XB1 and PS4 to expand the user base from PC only. I don't think ArenaNet/NC Soft ever commented on this.

They said something about the consoles not being able to support their update cycle or something like that, but with XIV and now Elder Scrolls Online on PS4 I think the waters have been muddied since that statement.

They said something about the consoles not being able to support their update cycle or something like that, but with XIV and now Elder Scrolls Online on PS4 I think the waters have been muddied since that statement.

It actually doesn't. Those games don't update the way that GW2 does. In order for the Living Story updates to be done, they still have to go through the Sony or MS QA clearance process. It's an extra step that takes timing out of Anet's control.

ShdwDrake

Banned

Have you played Gw2? Its updates are not like "heres a new raid!" or "heres a new area". No its "BRO SHIT IS GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW GET IN THERE!" They destroyed a hub town taking the timing of the updates away takes away Anets ability to tell the games story the way they want to.

I would think that they would be able to work something out with Sony tho. (then my roommate could play with lol)

Mxrz

Fallout: Tyria.

Or maybe we're doing a goofy Hickman time-skip. All our characters will grow beards and be voiced by Kris Kristofferson.

Levyne

Banned
Have you played Gw2? Its updates are not like "heres a new raid!" or "heres a new area". No its "BRO SHIT IS GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW GET IN THERE!" They destroyed a hub town taking the timing of the updates away takes away Anets ability to tell the games story the way they want to.

I would think that they would be able to work something out with Sony tho. (then my roommate could play with lol)

Ha I've played plenty of GW2. I guess the issue is more that I haven't played those other games.

Jira

WIth the way GW2 updates, on Season every 2 weeks, plus smaller updates even a couple times in a day during new updates, the consoles would be over a month behind every single update. Also, certification costs money for every single patch that needs approval. It's less feasible to do when you update your game as often as ANet does.

So how does the story pricing work? I'd like to get caught up on the story depending how much it costs. I had remember reading that it was free if you logged in when the stories were put out but it costs money for new comers.

Mxrz

Forgot how miserable twitch chatboxes are.

So how does the story pricing work? I'd like to get caught up on the story depending how much it costs. I had remember reading that it was free if you logged in when the stories were put out but it costs money for new comers.
About $2 a chapter? But they might do a bundle.

Levyne

Banned

It's 200 gems per episode, 8 episodes in season 2, which is 1600 gems = 20 dollars.

Note that buying the episodes gives you access to the story missions, achievements, etc but anything they add to the world is still free.

Yeah when episode releases if you log in any time in the 2 week period you unlock it for free, if you don't you have to buy it with gems (200) approx 2$. If you do not care for the rewards you can play the story with someone who has in unlocked for free.

SHIT SHIT SHIT STREAM UP!

Top Bottom