• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

(Assuming you have access to the 3-day headstart, and if you don't, why not?)

Useful Info
Want some info? Read the kickass OT! Oh wait, YOU ARE!
Guild Wars 2 Status: http://gw2status.com/
GAFGuild's website: http://www.gafguild.com
GAF Server Selection: Stormbluff Isle (US) / Gandara (EU)

Stress Test TODAY at Noon PDT / 3pm EDT!

GAFGuild Mega-Awesome Pre-Launch Super-Countdown Festival of Hype Mumble Meet & Greet Event!
Here's another opportunity for everyone to hop on Mumble and get to know their future guildmates before launch. Even if you don't have a microphone, you can still participate since Mumble has a chat window. If you don't want to speak up, that's fine too; talking is not mandatory and you're welcome to just log in and listen (keep the creepy stalker breathing to a minimum though).

The event will begin on Friday, August 25th at Midnight (9PM on the 24th Pacific, 4am GMT) and run for 3 hours. At this point, the game launches and everyone officially has license to freak out. This event is strictly B.Y.O.K (Bring Your Own Kool-Aid). Please note that ArenaNet has stated they may start the game up to 3 hours early, so you might as well get on mumble and spam the Login button with the rest of us.

Mumble Info:
(Quote post for info)

ttocs

I'm kind of surprised the game is even coming out. It almost seems surreal. I remember reading about Guild Wars 2 and thinking "man, that is never going to come out." Can't believe it's almost here.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Fun forever? Let's be real here, did you guys even play Guild Wars?

Does this game is very demanding? I'm a little amateur when it comes to specs.

Thanks in advance, lovely, great OT!

Not really, but the heavily populated areas might slow you down. While they did improve optimization it is an ongoing process. I will say from BWE1 to BWE3 I noticed HUGE upgrades in performance.

I'm running an e8400, 8Gb DDR2 and a 6870 as of now (will be upgrading sometime this year) and it ran fairly smooth. I did notice some hiccups in WvW and LA (the main city) but nothing to really hinder my enjoyment.

The_Monk

Not really, but the heavily populated areas might slow you down. While they did improve optimization it is an ongoing process. I will say from BWE1 to BWE3 I noticed HUGE upgrades in performance.

I'm running an e8400, 8Gb DDR2 and a 6870 as of now (will be upgrading sometime this year) and it ran fairly smooth. I did notice some hiccups in WvW and LA (the main city) but nothing to really hinder my enjoyment.

Thanks a lot fellow GAFfer, great answer!

Tomat

Meh, people are going to get to max level in a couple days and be complaining about nothing else to do no matter what and rage quit for silly reasons because they find out endgame is not the real game.

Yup.

Fun forever? Let's be real here, did you guys even play Guild Wars?

Due to the lack of fee I played GW1 on and off until now. In that sense it had better replay value than the others. It never induced a burnout effect like virtually every other MMO, post-SWG.

GW1 is still a very complicated hardcore game that most people can't get into due to incredible high barrier of entry. Like a tactical version of EVE. You just don't start pwning in PvP or get all the skills. That in itself takes many many hundreds of hours, and to top it off it did it without a silly gear levelling tread mill or carrot-on-a-stick philosophies.

Virtual material wealth is just as useless as the real thing.

jonah777

Awesome OT, Jira and Co. Seems like this has the potential to be the best GAF guild yet. Head start + week off... this will be an exercise in gaming debauchery for me.

Tomat

Due to the lack of fee I played GW1 on and off until now. In that sense it had better replay value than the others. It never induced a burnout effect like virtually every other MMO, post-SWG.

GW1 is still a very complicated hardcore game that most people can't get into due to incredible high barrier of entry. Like a tactical version of EVE. You just don't start pwning in PvP or get all the skills. That in itself takes many many hundreds of hours, and to top it off it did it without a silly gear levelling tread mill or carrot-on-a-stick philosophies.

Virtual material wealth is just as useless as the real thing.

I'm curious if GW1 will continue to have life after GW2 because of this. I'm also curious if GW2 will live on as long. GW1 lets you solo everything with NPC party members. Does GW2 allow for something like this as well?

_machine

Fantastic OT, Jira!

I'm still a bit confused, so could someone elaborate when the headstart starts for us finns(GMT+2)?

Meh, people are going to get to max level in a couple days and be complaining about nothing else to do no matter what and rage quit for silly reasons because they find out endgame is not the real game.
And then come back when they realize there is more content they missed and they don't have a sub fee, so they really never "quit".

Emitan

I'm curious if GW1 will continue to have life after GW2 because of this. I'm also curious if GW2 will live on as long. GW1 lets you solo everything with NPC party members. Does GW2 allow for something like this as well?

Yeah. I think the majority of the game is solo friendly besides Orr.

chris-013

Level doesn't matter you can be lv80 after 10min if you want. sPvP/tPvP will last forever. :p

Ezio

So stupid question but what time is noon pdt for est? is it 3? If so I wish they would start it a bit later so I don't miss a chunk of it due to work.

Fantastic OT, Jira!

I'm still a bit confused, so could someone elaborate when the headstart starts for us finns(GMT+2)?

It starts the 25th US PST. I don't think anyone knows for sure but they said it could start up to 3hrs early. Either way for you it looks early Saturday morning? No idea though tbh...just best guess...maybe someone else knows more. Regardless you'll likely be awake so just spam the login or this gaf thread :p

Ms. Tea

Awesome OT, Jira! I am super excited, only a few days left!

Why is this not in the OP?

4OyRA.jpg

CHARR BABIES!

Charr babies are OP, plz nerf

Jellzy

Neo Member
Nice OT Jira! :)

Just back my holiday and looking forward to a jaunt on the PC. Looking to join the EuroGAF side of things next week and will jump on mumble soon.

Anyone know of any deals on the pre-release version in the UK? I seemed to have missed out whilst I was away.

Silly question but in WvWvW/sPvP you are lvl 80 from the start right? So is all your gear/abilities and so on maxed out or do you have to do PVE and so on?

_machine

It starts the 25th US PST. I don't think anyone knows for sure but they said it could start up to 3hrs early. Either way for you it looks early Saturday morning? No idea though tbh...just best guess...maybe someone else knows more. Regardless you'll likely be awake so just spam the login or this gaf thread :p
Thanks, early Saturday morning sounds pretty good since I wake at around 11 so everything will hopefully be up and running once I manage to crawl out of bed :)

Huddy

Great OT Jira.

One point because of British summer time and daylight saving (GMT+1) the head start begins at 8am GMT.

Tomat

No one knows for sure, but if GW1 is any indicator, more than most are expecting.

OH YOU, THIS GAME WILL BE BAD STOP DEFENDING IT!

Really though, I am excited for the game. Doubt I'll be picking it up to play on this computer though, so I'll be sticking with GW1 for a while. Gotta get that HoM stuff eventually.

Ezio

Can't wait to create my ranger today so I can get a feel for the game. Just pre-purchased the other day so I haven't done any of the beta weekends/stress tests. But I have a lot of buddies who are going to play this so I'm pretty stoked.

I am more excited about this game than I have been about a game in a very long time. There are just so many things that you can do with this game and I can't wait to do all of them!

There is also one thing that a game developer can not account for and that is the community you play the game with and so far having been on the mumble a few times everyone seems pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom