• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
sPVP everything maxed.
3W you are lv80 but you still gain xp/loot while killing players to increase your real lv.

Good link with a lot of informations :
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Oh neat, so when you are doing 3W your toon is leveling up on the PVE side of things? That's awesome. What about the gear you are wearing in 3W? Is it the same as PVE you are wearing? Sorry for the silly questions but I only was able to get in 3W briefly during bwe1.

ShaneB

As expected, terrific OT Jira, since you’re a robot I assume it took only a few microseconds to get all that done :p

For the fans of this game that have been waiting years, it’s no doubt still surreal that it’s coming out. I’m excited too, but I think it’s calmed down a bit since earlier this year. Everything that Anet has done are steps in the right direction, but I think I’ll be overwhelmed with the initial player rush around launch time frame. Feels blasphemous knowing I’m excited to play TOR sometime soon when it goes f2p, I know it’s nothing new like GW2 is doing, but I like the setting and a sci-fi theme is a nice change of pace for mmo’s.

Maybe this will all be moot when I start playing and get sucked in. Always said I’m glad there are no factions, certainly helps build guild relations when you’re not immediately divided over who does what. Play what you want!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Can't wait. My fiancee will be out of town on Saturday too. ^_^

I still have no idea what type of character I am going to play. I really enjoyed elementalist and, to a lesser extent, mesmer in the beta. I want to do one character solely in WvW, let's see how that works out!

Fun forever? Let's be real here, did you guys even play Guild Wars?

I think Guild Wars 1 is awful.

GW2 is tremendous though.

Woo, OT time!

I forgot headstart was so close, I'd been preparing myself for the 28th still for some reason...

Thinking about joining you all on Stormbluff Isle, but I mostly only play with my RL friends since I have like 10 hours a week I can devote to MMOs thanks to work.

Desaan

3 days to go!

Man, I haven't been this excited about something since I found £10 in an old pair of pants.

Think I'll stick with EU servers, can't be many things worse than playing MMO ghost town because you play outside their hours.

Oh man, been waiting for this since it was announced in 2007 instead of a new campaign! I still remember my frustration knowing that I still had a bunch of years to wait.

Looking really forward to try the stress test tonigh, since it's the first time I'll be playing it!

Anyway, can anyone tell me if this is a good enough rig to play at least in medium?

Intel Core i5 520M
Ati Mobility HD 5650
4Gb DDR3
Windows 7 64Bits

Edit: Also, will be playing in 1366*768 MAX!

Audioboxer

3 days to go!

Man, I haven't been this excited about something since I found £10 in an old pair of pants.

Think I'll stick with EU servers, can't be many things worse than playing MMO ghost town because you play outside their hours.

This is a very good point that slipped my mind, Gandara here I come! Was going to roll on Stormbluff until my brain remembered this crucial point.

Deitus

Oh man, OT is so good. You have exceeded my already high expectations Jira.

I'll have to take the time to pick through it later, but from the looks of it you got the right balance of information without getting too verbose. Layout is beautiful, and linking videos of all of the classes to their respective images was a nice touch. Hopefully this will recruit even more new players.

Anyway, I can't believe the game comes out in a few days. This will be my least productive week yet.

The OT looks very good. I have been lurking in the GW2 threads for a few months now but I am looking forward to playing with everybody next week.

I bought from GMG On July 30th and put in the code on guildwars2.com and when i go in there to check on things there's not much info to confirm it got in. If you have "username.1234" means you have the game right?

Story mode for dungeons is different than story mode for your personal character :)

Ah, so there's instanced story mode for your character, and separately there are story mode group dungeons and those story mode group dungeons have the option of the (harder) exploration mode?

Here's me and the rest of GW2 Gaf on Friday, Saturday and Sunday;

iXREfNPowOGtq.gif

OMG this gif is awesome XD.

SalomonA

Really nice with the upcoming stress test today. Will probably be the last one ever, so let's make it worth our time, and look back at all the fun we've had with these beta events and stress tests.

R.I.P. GW2 public pre-game testing 27 april 2012 - 21 aug 2012 :'(

But seriously, there's no way I could get more excited right now. Im fucking hyped.

Saturday, you will be glorious.

Retro

Ah, so there's instanced story mode for your character, and separately there are story mode group dungeons and those story mode group dungeons have the option of the (harder) exploration mode?

The dungeons are all optional content, not tied to your personal story but part of the overall tale of Guild Wars 2. From the wiki;

Story mode is played through on the first visit to the dungeon. The dungeon stories, told through cut scenes and exposition, are focused on revealing and developing the Destiny's Edge situation. One or two members of Destiny's Edge join the party to guide them through a largely linear dungeon story. This mode should be relatively straightforward for a pick-up-group to complete. Completing story mode unlocks explorable mode; the story mode can be repeated if desired though there is no particular reason to do so. It should be noted that personal storylines and dungeon stories are parallel: the dungeon story mode does not affect a player's advancement in a personal story except for the very last mission which takes place in a dungeon.

Divinity's Edge is a group of heroes who broke up before the events of the game, and had/has one member of each race that you'll encounter from the very start of your personal story (Logan, Rytlock, Caithe, Zojja and Eir). You can read about them in the "Edge of Destiny" novel, but again, it's entirely optional and I'm sure the game will fill you in on the details.

crap i really don't have time for an MMO now but i guess i will give the genre ONE last chance and this will be the game to do it with i suppose ;)

edit: this game won't be on Steam will it? so the regular boxed edition is the way to go here right?

jbortz78

Awesome OT as always!

Really looking forward to this, more so than any other game in a long time since Diablo 3 was really meh...

Also really hoping to get a chance to play with some GAF:ers on Gandara, still havent decided on my prof, leaning towards Guardian but also liking the Necro...hmm..

Ryan_

Very nice OT! Really like the lay out and style!

Quick couple of questions, though:

- Since I was away the last BWE, how's the performance and optimalization so far?
The first BWE I played, I had some trouble with framedrops and generally had to turn
lots of details down which was sad since the game is really beautiful.

- Are there any plans or features for endgame content next to the 8 dungeons and their
respective exploration modes?

- Does the guild website (at wich I am of course registered!) make a distinction between
the EU guild and the NA guild and their respective officers and leaders? Or does it function
as a sort of base for both?

That being asked, I'm really looking forward to the game :)

Retro

crap i really don't have time for an MMO now but i guess i will give the genre ONE last chance and this will be the game to do it with i suppose ;)

edit: this game won't be on Steam will it? so the regular boxed edition is the way to go here right?

The nice thing about GW2 is that there's no subscription fee or 'endgame' (the game you play at level 1 is the game you play at level 80, amplified in intensity, of course), so you can invest as much or as little time into it as you want.

As for picking it up, you'll need to get the boxed version in store or order directly from ArenaNet at www.guildwars2.com. They aren't putting it on Steam due to Valve's policy on updates and/or transactions.

- Since I was away the last BWE, how's the performance and optimalization so far?
The first BWE I played, I had some trouble with framedrops and generally had to turn
lots of details down which was sad since the game is really beautiful.

- Are there any plans or features for endgame content next to the 8 dungeons and their
respective exploration modes?

- Does the guild website (at wich I am of course registered!) make a distinction between
the EU guild and the NA guild and their respective officers and leaders? Or does it function
as a sort of base for both?

Performance has been fine, no major issues beyond what one would expect from a pre-launch build during a stress test.

ArenaNet has stated that the minute the game launches, they consider it a service, not a game; half the development team will work on future expansions, the other half (the "live team") will work on smaller content upgrades.

There's no difference between NA and EU on GAFGuild.com or in game beyond which server they roll on. One guild, one site.

LuuKyK

Oh Jira, what a fantastic OP!

I can't wait to play this, but sadly I won't be able to play on the first start of the headstart, only saturday, but I'm still excited! :D

Nice job on the OT!

I'm going to leave work a bit early today so I can play with character creation during the stress test. So ready for this weekend!

B00TE

Very nice OT!

Gonna be making a Charr Warrior this weekend and greatly looking forward to today's stress test which I hope I'll be home in time for, if only to try out a few of the other classes. Hoping the alt-itis won't be strong in me this time around but it will probably hit me after the weekend is over.

datamage

Nice OT.

I am so burned out on the typical MMO formula that I feel this game was made for me.

Not sure if this has been posted, but there is a ton of info in this post: Mass info.

The only thing I've read that I don't think I like, is the auto-scaling when you return to a previous zone. I understand why they did it, but it kind of eliminates that whole gain in power and going back to wreck an enemy that used to give you a difficult time.

W1SSY

Love the OT. I cannot wait to get in on the test today and the real game in a couple of days. Guild Wars was my first and only "MMO" and I cannot wait to experience what Anet has been making.

Retro

Not sure if this has been posted, but there is a ton of info in this post: Mass info.

Heh, who do you think wrote the awesome OT? That particular link is at the bottom of the post too, but always nice to see it passed around.

The only thing I've read that I don't think I like, is the auto-scaling when you return to a previous zone. I understand why they did it, but it kind of eliminates that whole gain in power and going back to wreck an enemy that used to give you a difficult time.

You're still stronger than the average player by virtue of gear quality, traits and upgrade items. You're just not at full high-level capacity. Part of the problem with going back to old zones in MMOs without this feature is that you literally stomp everything in your sight. I can remember doing old content and just pulling entire dungeons and AOEing them down. I guess that sense of power is fun for some people, but I'd rather experience the content at a rough equivalent to the way it was intended.

Stuart444

Fantastic OT, can't wait for Saturday :D

Won't even participate in the stress test (or any others) tonight because I'm trying to do whatever I can in GW1 (and finish off the EoD novel) before head start starts :)

Retro

Splendid had completely missed that, then I know what I´ll be doing tonight. Perfect time to decide prof till prelaunch.

Don't forget to take screenshots (PrtScn) of the sliders during character creation so you can re-create them faster at launch.

KiteGr

I bought yesterday a Razer Naga just for this game!

BTW:
The instractions that came with the mouse say to download and instal a program called Razer Synapse 2.0 and reginster my product on it. Yet the mouse seems to be working fine on it's own without it.
Why should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom