• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

Off topic: The naga is very comfortable and gives you the option of never having to use keys for your abilities if you so choose to.

On topic: Looks like each day as a new video surfaces the hype swells. I hope the momentum keeps going.

Jira

Off topic: The naga is very comfortable and gives you the option of never having to use keys for your abilities if you so choose to.

On topic: Looks like each day as a new video surfaces the hype swells. I hope the momentum keeps going.

It should as Total Biscuit is back home now and has about 2.5TB of raw footage to edit and Yogscast continues putting stuff out every day.

BrettWeir

Off Topic: Ahhhhh! I run away from anything with the name Razer on it. Such poor QC and cheap plastic!

On Topic: TIME TO READ!!!! Thanks a ton for the link!

Arken2121

It should as Total Biscuit is back home now and has about 2.5TB of raw footage to edit and Yogscast continues putting stuff out every day.

That's what I mean =). I love how they're spreading out the videos each day and hopefully this will continue to at least the next phase of closed beta.

Edit: BrettWeir, what else would you recommend? I don't have to much knowledge on mmo mice so please, chime in for those who might want a little edge.

Coxswain

That sounds cool, but I really don't like this part:
After a character has spent their trait points, they can visit a trainer to reset their traits and refund their previously spent points for a small fee.

We realized that an important part of building a character is some sense of permanence. With this new system, you are flexible enough to change if you really want to, but you should still feel like the choices you made matter while you are out adventuring or slogging your way through a dungeon. In competitive PvP, you have a separately saved trait build and can respec free of charge.

That 'permanence' argument just doesn't pass muster with me. If you have to talk to a trainer to do it anyway, then there's already more than enough permanence (ie: You can't swap everything around mid-dungeon or anything; you need to go back to town anyway). I think it's just in there to work as a gold sink.

It's also going to drastically reduce the amount of experimentation that people are willing to do. If it's a constant drain on my resources to do so, I'm not going to be redistributing my traits and trying new things unless I have to.

Hopefully this doesn't make it to retail. Guild Wars 1 had a similar restriction in 'respec points' for quite a while too, and only got rid of them a couple BWEs away from launch.

Hoo-doo

Banned

That 'permanence' argument just doesn't pass muster with me. If you have to talk to a trainer to do it anyway, then there's already more than enough permanence (ie: You can't swap everything around mid-dungeon or anything; you need to go back to town anyway). I think it's just in there to work as a gold sink.

It's also going to drastically reduce the amount of experimentation that people are willing to do. If it's a constant drain on my resources to do so, I'm not going to be redistributing my traits and trying new things unless I have to.

Hopefully this doesn't make it to retail. Guild Wars 1 had a similar restriction in 'respec points' for quite a while too, and only got rid of them a couple BWEs away from launch.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. It's simply like choosing a spec in any other MMO, only without the rapidly increasing price.
Did Guild Wars 1 let you respec freely while out of a town or city?

Jira

If the respec costs are anything like the repair costs then it's not too bad. I think the only reason they're doing this is to get people to come back to civilization every once in a while. I honestly feel like it goes against a lot of their game design and I'm not sure why they're doing it. I mean I guess it could be worse, there's tons of trainers in every zone and it's just a quick hit up one waypoint, refund and then back to another waypoint. So if they want to make it a gold sink, why not just allow you to respec anywhere but take the money from you rather than having you talk to an NPC? I dunno, it just feels out of place.

Orayn

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. It's simply like choosing a spec in any other MMO, only without the rapidly increasing price.

You could respec freely in a town or city. It even let you save off builds and load them up with a single click.

Oh well... Let's hope the fee is proportional to character level and doesn't get too exorbitant. I understand the need for gold sinks, but this one is a bit inconvenient.

Jira

No, you had to be in an outpost/city.

Arken2121

After all the positive and convenient features this game has shown, i'll be damned of a tiny inconvenient respec mechanic slows down the fun of this game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You could respec freely in a town or city. It even let you save off builds and load them up with a single click.

Oh well... Let's hope the fee is proportional to character level and doesn't get too exorbitant. I understand the need for gold sinks, but this one is a bit inconvenient.

No, you had to be in an outpost/city.

Then I don't see the big change, really. Games like this need moneysinks to keep a healthy economy going.
The respeccing fee isn't going to increase exponentially like in WoW, either.

Retro

Interesting stuff, but I'm one of those people who needs to play with something to appreciate it fully. It does sound fairly open in terms of customization; Traits sound awesome and do "game-y" things, which is already leaps and bounds ahead of most AA systems where you're picking between "math-y" stuff.

J-Rzez

I have to say, the Naga does actually give you a distinct advantage. I'd recommend it to anyone. I never had an issue yet with a Razer product, but apparently many here have? Their software like the mods stuff is atrocious, but the tweaking stuff is pretty solid.

Ah yes, "specs". It's interesting how varied they can be, but it'd be more interesting if they're all competitive and that there isn't a "why aren't you x or y build, gtfo of this group" mentality.

BrettWeir

That's what I mean =). I love how they're spreading out the videos each day and hopefully this will continue to at least the next phase of closed beta.

Edit: BrettWeir, what else would you recommend? I don't have to much knowledge on mmo mice so please, chime in for those who might want a little edge.

Take a look at the Logitech G7. Great build quality, great drivers, can be wired or wireless. After trying a Razer Lachesis, Razer Naga, Gigabyte Ghost, and RAT 9, the G7 blows all of them out of the water (imo).

After reading the article, I'm not sure I understand the trait lines. For instance, for a Thief, speccing in Trickery gives a bonus to Malice and Guile. Malice I understand, as it boosts poison damage....but what does Guile do for a Thief?

Jira

Take a look at the Logitech G7. Great build quality, great drivers, can be wired or wireless. After trying a Razer Lachesis, Razer Naga, Gigabyte Ghost, and RAT 9, the G7 blows all of them out of the water (imo).

After reading the article, I'm not sure I understand the trait lines. For instance, for a Thief, specking in Trickery gives a bonus to Malice and Guile. Malice I understand, as it boosts poison damage....but what does Guile do for a Thief?

I think Guile in that bit there might have been a typo.

Wow, this is the third time they changed the way Attributes work. Although, I don't like the idea of having to pay a few to re-spec..

edit: Just realized they added onto the four basic attributes and didn't swap them out for the new ones.

Hoo-doo

Banned

After reading the article, I'm not sure I understand the trait lines. For instance, for a Thief, speccing in Trickery gives a bonus to Malice and Guile. Malice I understand, as it boosts poison damage....but what does Guile do for a Thief?

I think "Guile" is supposed to be "Cunning" there.
Cunning is the thief-exclusive trait which decreases the recharge time of the Steal ability.

Vano

The need to be in town and talk to a trainer is no problem for me, i will need to be in town anyway for other stuff, isn't like the cost of respec will be astronomical huge and after a while getting gold in a MMO isn't a problem.

Waiting for the game and someone who does a Trait calculator to toy with possibilities <3

Grakl

Wow, this is the third time they changed the way Attributes work. Although, I don't like the idea of having to pay a few to re-spec..

edit: Just realized they added onto the four basic attributes and didn't swap them out for the new ones.

Economy needs a money sink. Re-specs are an excellent way for this.

TheYanger

I'm not sure what you're misreading in his quote, but it sounds like it's just like wow respeccing. You just go to town and talk to your trainer, IE: exactly as you said (and as the blog said). You don't freely change around the world, so while you're out DOING stuff, it's locked in, but otherwise you can change whenever.

Jira

The need to be in town and talk to a trainer is no problem for me, i will need to be in town anyway for other stuff, isn't like the cost of respec will be astronomical huge and after a while getting gold in a MMO isn't a problem.

Waiting for the game and someone who does a Trait calculator to toy with possibilities <3

Keep an eye on this:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/

It hasn't been updated since all the new skill tooltips and traits have come out, but it should hopefully be soonish.

Jira

Also, do note that you CAN change out your major traits at any time, but obviously only for the lines you currently have point in. So respeccing just gives you your points back to put into different trait lines.

BrettWeir

I think "Guile" is supposed to be "Cunning" there.
Cunning is the thief-exclusive trait which decreases the recharge time of the Steal ability.

That would make sense. Hopefully that is the case and it was a typo.

Paying for respecs makes complete sense.

Coxswain

I'm not sure what you're misreading in his quote, but it sounds like it's just like wow respeccing. You just go to town and talk to your trainer, IE: exactly as you said (and as the blog said). You don't freely change around the world, so while you're out DOING stuff, it's locked in, but otherwise you can change whenever.

I have no problem with having to visit a trainer to respec (being able to do it mid-dungeon or something would probably be pretty broken). I just think that it's a shitty idea to attach a money cost to respeccing. You should be able to do it for free.

Encouraging experimentation and gaining skill with a wide variety of trait/weapon/skill combinations instead of pushing people to play it safe and stick with one build that they're reasonably sure is the 'best' for what they're trying to do is more important than a video game economy could ever be.

Orayn

To be fair, people will still be able to switch out major traits within the constraints of how their points are currently distributed. It's less dramatic than being able to re-allocate points as well, but it counts for something.

Coxswain

If it costs enough to be used as a gold sink, it costs too much to encourage experimentation. It would be fine if the cost was the GW2 equivalent of, say, customizing a weapon in GW1, as that's effectively free anyway, but any higher than that is a bad idea (and even that tiny amount is still not as good as free).

Jira

The respec will probably be a couple silver starting out and ending at a bit over 1g which you'll likely make quite easily going out and doing whatever at the cap. Gold sinks are necessary to keep some kind of money going out of the economy.

I signed up for the Beta hoping to get in next month, but outside of the fact that I know the game is a Pseudo-MMO I know very little about it. Is there a good breakdown of the games planned mechanics anywhere? I've played a lot of WoW so I'm familiar with all the jargon around MMOs so that not really my concern, but as I understand it this game changes a lot things up about traditional MMOs.

Vano

I signed up for the Beta hoping to get in next month, but outside of the fact that I know the game is a Pseudo-MMO I know very little about it. Is there a good breakdown of the games planned mechanics anywhere? I've played a lot of WoW so I'm familiar with all the jargon around MMOs so that not really my concern, but as I understand it this game changes a lot things up about traditional MMOs.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

Good and long read.

Orayn

Guild Wars 2 is a full MMO, actually. The first post in this thread is a good general overview, but feel free to ask if there's some part of it you don't really understand.

EDIT: Or Vano's link.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't possibly find it now, because it has been months, but I remember them saying that respeccing your traits will not be expensive. It'll be a flat fee, probably.

Coxswain

To be fair, people will still be able to switch out major traits within the constraints of how their points are currently distributed. It's less dramatic than being able to re-allocate points as well, but it counts for something.

Actually, the wording on the article is kind of weird. It says "they can visit a trainer to reset their traits and refund their previously spent points for a small fee."

Now, does that mean that you can reset your traits for free, and pay a small fee to refund your trait points? Or does it mean that you need to pay the fee to get both your traits and your trait points refunded?

Obviously having no fee ever would be ideal (because seriously, to hell with caring about a video game economy), but the whole thing is somewhat more palatable if you can switch at least the traits themselves around without paying money.

Jira

Actually, the wording on the article is kind of weird. It says "they can visit a trainer to reset their traits and refund their previously spent points for a small fee."

Now, does that mean that you can reset your traits for free, and pay a small fee to refund your trait points? Or does it mean that you need to pay the fee to get both your traits and your trait points refunded?

Obviously having no fee ever would be ideal (because seriously, to hell with caring about a video game economy), but the whole thing is somewhat more palatable if you can switch at least the traits themselves around without paying money.

You can switch major traits out at any time, there's no pre-requisite other than having the points in whatever line of course.

etiolate

Banned
The ranger's primary longbow attack had some of the biggest hits I saw in any of the PVP videos. The ranger also has pretty low cooldowns on most of its skills. While some classes seemed to tend to spam a skill because CDs dictated it, the ranger could combo together different skills with just 6 or 10s CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom