• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettWeir

Wow. That Ranger vid was great. Choices, choices.

I wish it would have shown some of the combos. Isn't Ranger the class that can make its own combos/the most combos?

Vinci

Danish
On the subject of rebinding keys: I think I'll wait till I'm playing the game to really develop the right placement for it. I imagine my traditional MMO layout would suffice, but likely some variant of it would further optimize my play with this game.

But I agree with posters above - any MMO control setup that doesn't use tilde for something is not optimized.

With all the range and aoe spells in the game, will being a melee class be difficult in WvW? Sure you can use ranged abilities as a melee class, but it seems like there aren't many opportunities to fight hand to hand when both sides have so many ranged spells and there's so much going on onscreen.

Retro

It's one of those thing we'll just have to wait and see, but melee should, at least in theory, have lots of leaping or charging abilities to get close to ranged units, and then (again, in theory) have the power to tear them up and keep them close before they can escape. We really won't know more until decent players (read: not gaming journalists, as they're far from being either) get their hands on it and give it a go.

TheYanger

In the videos and comparing damage values for classes abilities it certainly SEEMS like melee is definitely high risk high reward, but since all classes have ranged options I think that's ok. Melee certainly looks like it does vastly more damage in general though.

It's one of those thing we'll just have to wait and see, but melee should, at least in theory, have lots of leaping or charging abilities to get close to ranged units, and then (again, in theory) have the power to tear them up and keep them close before they can escape. We really won't know more until decent players (read: not gaming journalists, as they're far from being either) get their hands on it and see.

In small groups and in 1v1, I have no doubt melee will be viable. I'm wondering more about the huge group fights like the ones I've been seeing on bridges and in front of keeps where each side has 20+ people. As a melee, how can you get close when there are that many spells going off that are all in range of you? Either one side has to fully commit all at once, or it's going to be a series of long range attacks going off. And once you're in melee range, it seems hard to target with all that crap on the screen at once. Do we know yet if you can turn spell effects down?

Retro

In the videos and comparing damage values for classes abilities it certainly SEEMS like melee is definitely high risk high reward, but since all classes have ranged options I think that's ok. Melee certainly looks like it does vastly more damage in general though.

Yep, plus it looks like a lot of the Melee classes have a lot of control options on their ranged weapons.

In small groups and in 1v1, I have no doubt melee will be viable. I'm wondering more about the huge group fights like the ones I've been seeing on bridges and in front of keeps where each side has 20+ people. As a melee, how can you get close when there are that many spells going off that are all in range of you? Either one side has to fully commit all at once, or it's going to be a series of long range attacks going off. And once you're in melee range, it seems hard to target with all that crap on the screen at once. Do we know yet if you can turn spell effects down?

This will definitely be one of those things we will have to wait and see. I would think the dodge mixed with being in real close to the classes that are used to being far away would put the range classes at a disadvantage alone. Another thing is it seems like a lot of the range attacks damage scales with distance. So in theory I think Melee would have the advantage. But we still need to see this for the most part.

I think that Lewis B Mesmer PvP video shows a little of this at the beginning. At first the Mesmer had the advantage but after his confusion cd's were gone he was stuck trying to run away.

Valnen

Debating actually getting back into Guild Wars 1 just so I can have an Orange Tabby Cat in Guild Wars 2. I have problems >.<.

Retro

Quite viable, I should hope.

The Thief has Shadowstep, Shadow Shot and Infiltrator's Strike and Arrow to teleport past all that AOE. Depending on range, they might also be able to use Scorpion Wire to yank enemies to them.

I should think that Warriors aren't injured by AOE they cross when using skills like Rush, Bull's Charge, Endure Pain (assuming it still exists, the wiki is quite outdated). The same should apply to Guardians as well, and they have stuff like Binding Blade and shield spells that should help.

Again, won't know until we get in there and play it.

As to your last question, ArenaNet is aware of the problem with spell effects and are working on turning them down. I would expect some kind of slider or something in the Video preferences too.

Ashodin

I would like to think melee would be smarter and take a side route and come from behind, while the spell effects go off. If they trick the other side into thinking there are more than there are, they can flank.

Sigh I forgot the name of my character that I created iwhen i rebought GW 1 during a steam sale. Arenanet is taking their sweet time in replying to me :/

Arken2121

Melee will have a bit of defensive measures especially against ranged and aoe spells/attacks(bubbles for guardian and shield stance for warrior). If utilized properly, I can easily see a warrior/guardian being a terrifying opponent even in WvW.

gunbo13

The power of classes comes with coordination. Any class can be effective in all game types if they are given a responsibility that caters towards their strengths and teammates who fill in the blanks. Sometimes you are SOL but more often you are not. Melee can absolutely be effective even in fireworks WvW. Just visualize a bunch of engineers, rangers, and eles range attack spamming. Then realize how problematic that setup is even if they do 10x the DPS of melee attackers.

No coordination though means you are a 1d pick. So grab that ranged attacker to beat up on morons stuck in WvW choke points. Just don't be surprised when you get on a lot of sides that get rolled and you wonder why your powerful ranged attacker is repeatedly sucking dirt.

DJIzana

Anyone have a good PVE Elementalist video show all the different types of magic instead of just one school? Seems like all the ones I've watched tend to have focused on one school. =/

Vinci

Danish
So is it still unclear how many characters we get per account? And if so, is there a ballpark figure that people seem to be expecting? I'd really love at least four. I think that number would easily suffice.

So is it still unclear how many characters we get per account? And if so, is there a ballpark figure that people seem to be expecting? I'd really love at least four. I think that number would easily suffice.

Since GW1 had 4 for 6 classes, I can't imagine them going below 4. My guess is 4-5 sounds reasonable, with $10 per additional character slot

nataku

Since GW1 had 4 for 6 classes, I can't imagine them going below 4. My guess is 4-5 sounds reasonable, with $10 per additional character slot

I really hope for 1 slot per race.

I decided I'm going to just go ahead buy extra slots to make one of each profession since the more I see videos of each profession the more interested I get in all of them...

I really hope for 1 slot per race.

I decided I'm going to just go ahead buy extra slots to make one of each profession since the more I see videos of each profession the more interested I get in all of them...

Yea that's my plan to, I'll have to try each class eventually

Jira

As far as the press beta is concerned we get 5 by default, I really don't think they have a limit to how many you can purchase though.

Oh and here's a trait builder:

http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/

desverger

Debating actually getting back into Guild Wars 1 just so I can have an Orange Tabby Cat in Guild Wars 2. I have problems >.<.

That shouldn't be too difficult, I'm currently sitting at 21 (rockfur raccoon!) after starting GW1 about a month ago with a fresh account. Granted, I had a few friends helping me out, but it's mostly just a matter of time.

For 9 points you just need to..
-Link your accounts (3)
-Make a PVP Ranger and add a level 20 wolf to your Zaishen Menagerie, then tame it on a PvE char and add it to HoM (4)
-1 hero statue (5)
-3 more hero statues (7)
-Finish one campaign (9)

For the hero statues, Nightfall ones are definitely the easiest and 4 heroes can be added to your HoM almost immediately. If you have MOX, that's one easy statue to add since he doesn't need an armor upgrade to be added into the HoM.

Also, if you're wondering what campaign to finish, Factions is by far the quickest even if the start is a bit rough.

Jira

I made the mistake of going to Guru to get some info for my thread and I stopped by the new Traits thread and all I could think was this...

tumblr_lxyh1nO28I1r3ucoa.gif

They're actually complaining that there's a fee involved with respeccing and no one will experiment with builds. This is the EXACT same shit they bitched about with durability having a fee. With durability repairs they said no one will do content cause people will have to pay money when they die, now they say no one will experiment with builds cause they'll have to spend money. It's as if these guys have no concept of economy and how important it is to have gold sinks. GW1 quite literally had no gold sinks if you didn't want it to. They don't realize this isn't a self contained MMO anymore, things are VERY different and wealth really has to be kept in check, especially with a global marketplace.

They're actually complaining that there's a fee involved with respeccing and no one will experiment with builds. This is the EXACT same shit they bitched about with durability having a fee. With durability repairs they said no one will do content cause people will have to pay money when they die, now they say no one will experiment with builds cause they'll have to spend money. It's as if these guys have no concept of economy and how important it is to have gold sinks. GW1 quite literally had no gold sinks if you didn't want it to. They don't realize this isn't a self contained MMO anymore, things are VERY different and wealth really has to be kept in check, especially with a global marketplace.

Are they thinking it is real money? I have no clue how anyone could make this argument against in game money? How do they think in any way that because repairs and respeccing cost in game money that no one will do it? What?

Brainisfulloffuck.jpg

Jira

Are they thinking it is real money? I have no clue how anyone could make this argument against in game money? How do they think in any way that because repairs and respeccing cost in game money that no one will do it? What?

Brainisfulloffuck.jpg

I didn't stay long enough to find out, I wouldn't be surprised if some think it's real money and others think it's 100,000 gold per respec.

I didn't stay long enough to find out, I wouldn't be surprised if some think it's real money and others think it's 100,000 gold per respec.

Doesn't surprise me. I think they were the ones bitching about that one warrior video saying the guy was horrible.

Is that trait calculator not working right for anyone else? Things are off center and once I give points it doesn't really show anything except the trait showing up, but I can't click on it or hover over it for details.

Jira

Doesn't surprise me. I think they were the ones bitching about that one warrior video saying the guy was horrible.

Is that trait calculator not working right for anyone else? Things are off center and once I give points it doesn't really show anything except the trait showing up, but I can't click on it or hover over it for details.

Works fine for me, are you using NoScript or anything?

Jira

I must say, traits seem cooler than I expected them to be. Stoked level +10

Yeah, I was apprehensive when we first saw the new Trait system, but once I looked at it I realized that it's just as good as the old one and probably a hell of a lot easier for them to balance. The old system allowed you to straight up slot whatever major or minor traits you wanted, but you were also restricted to putting traits into specific weapons rather than the all encompassing system we have now.

Hoo-doo

Banned
One thing I find odd is that the three major traits at 10, 20 and 30 points in every line are all the same.
I feel like the deeper you spec in a certain tree, the more powerful the bonuses should become, rewarding people that fully specialize for certain roles, instead of choosing a jack-of-all-trades approach.

Because I could dump 10 points in every tree, and have the "best" trait available for that build at all times. It just feels a bit weird.

gunbo13

Arguing against repair costs is silly. Maybe there was intention to provide economic balance by implementing such a feature however it logically makes sense. Now if it isn't balanced and you are forking out cash every 10 minutes? Well, that is an issue.

The point against respec cost though IS absolutely warranted. GW1 had refund points which was a similar system. Instead of gold though, you had to grind PvE. ANET removed this feature due to public outcry of how bothersome it was and how it halted experimentation with builds. Now, paying money is a bit better then grinding for an hour to respec, as long as you got the dough. But it is still dumb. Repair costs is a result of you dying. Respec is not a result of you failing anything in the game. You simply want to change things up. So why should you have to fork over cash to do that? It has no place in the context of the gameplay system and is an ill-placed money sink showing ANET's struggle in balancing their own economic system. They should axe it immediately.

Just checked out Elementalists trait calculator real quick on my phone and damn there will be a lot of experimenting on this. Hopefully we will be able to save sets that we have and switch back and forth. Even if it would still cost money to swap between two saved builds it would be worth it alone to change rolls without having to remember/re-do every time. Have they said anything about doing something like this?

Jira

One thing I find odd is that the three major traits at 10, 20 and 30 points in every line are all the same.
I feel like the deeper you spec in a certain tree, the more powerful the bonuses should become, rewarding people that fully specialize for certain roles, instead of choosing a jack-of-all-trades approach.

Because I could dump 10 points in every tree, and have the "best" trait available for that build at all times. It just feels a bit weird.

No they're not. You have completely different Major traits in all 5 lines.

Wallach

Man now I'm stuck between Necromancer and Guardian. I love that Guardian has no pets, but the Necromancer has such fucking cool condition/boon skills. Just the idea of taking someone, turning all of their boons into conditions, then spreading all of those conditions to everyone around him is so coooooooool. I fucking hate pets, though. Argh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom