• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar-Gaf help me choose an electric guitar!

Demption

I want to start learning how to play guitar and i'm planning on buying one. I don't know nothing about playing but i mostly listen to metal and rock so those genres are the ones i most likely will end up playing.

Is Yamaha Pacifica a good guitar for beginners as someone suggested that?

Also i live in an apartment where i can't make much noise and would be playing with headphones through amp, any suggestions for those also?

Jindrax

Go to Guitar shop and hold a few.
They usually have a starter pack too.

Don't pick anything without trying it out.
Maybe bring a friend with experience

MilkyJoe

I want to start learning how to play guitar and i'm planning on buying one. I don't know nothing about playing but i mostly listen to metal and rock so those genres are the ones i most likely will end up playing.

Also i live in an apartment where i can't make much noise and would be playing with headphones through amp, any suggestions for those also?

Yamaha Pacifica 112 is the best first electric guitar.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

As a beginner, you may at first even want to play without an amp at all when you are practising things like basic chords. An electric guitar unplugged is more than loud enough for practice and a good fit for an apartment.

Draerf

Guitar player of 13 years and music producer here.

I don't know anything about the Yamaha stuff but I'd avoid starter packs. The guitars in those usually have terribly balanced frets and awful tuning pegs/knobs that can't hold a tuning at all. Their amps are also usually lame as hell. Don't worry about shelling out for an expensive amp or guitar any time soon, the quality of your sound comes from your hands, not so much your gear.

For a starter amp, I suggest something along the lines of a Line 6 Spyder IV 12 Watt. Those usually run between $90-$110, have headphone output, a variety of amp sounds that are decent, and neat effects.

You can also plug the amp into your computer's microphone jack and record yourself playing which is for my third suggestion. The fastest way to get better is to record yourself playing to a metronome and then going back and listening to it. It really helps to hone in on mistakes you're making as opposed to just mindlessly noodling and accidentally building bad habits.

If you're playing rock/metal, learn how to pick hard with confidence and in general, don't forget to use your pinky.

Artdayne

I guess it depends on how much money you are looking to spend. If you're looking to play metal, an Ibanez, Jackson, or ESP might be a good choice.

I must say too, I actually think playing on an acoustic is a great way to learn. It will do a much better job at developing calluses and strengthening your fingers. Of course this all comes down to how much you are able to spend. You can still buy a relatively cheap acoustic that will hold it's tune and play decently well.

I don't know anything about the Yamaha stuff but I'd avoid starter packs. The guitars in those usually have terribly balanced frets and awful tuning pegs/knobs that can't hold a tuning at all. Their amps are also usually lame as hell. Don't worry about shelling out for an expensive amp or guitar any time soon, the quality of your sound comes from your hands, not so much your gear.

For a starter amp, I suggest something along the lines of a Line 6 Spyder IV 12 Watt. Those usually run between $90-$110, have headphone output, a variety of amp sounds that are decent, and neat effects.

You can also plug the amp into your computer's microphone jack and record yourself playing which is for my third suggestion. The fastest way to get better is to record yourself playing to a metronome and then going back and listening to it. It really helps to hone in on mistakes you're making as opposed to just mindlessly noodling and accidentally building bad habits.

If you're playing rock/metal, learn how to pick hard with confidence and in general, don't forget to use your pinky.
This is all really good advice, ill also strongly agree about the frets. My first guitar was an Ibanez with a floating trem. Terrible frets and trying to tune it with the floating trem as a beginner was awful. So maybe don't go for something like that.

Demption

Okay, so amp isn't really mandatory for me right now, thanks for that tip! Any experience of Ibanez GRG121 or GRG170 guitars?

Okay, so amp isn't really mandatory for me right now, thanks for that tip! Any experience of Ibanez GRG121 or GRG170 guitars?
Get the hardtail one (the 121) unless you want to be frustrated everytime you try to tune your guitar for something you probably won't be using too much.

To explain further: when you tune a guitar, you're adjusting the tension on the strings. The problem with this with tremolos is that when you adjust the tension on the strings it also adjusts the position of the tremolo, since the strings go through the tremolo it can either raise or lower the tremolo. So now you have to go and adjust the tremolo back into a sitting position, but now that you've done that you have to tune it again because you've changed the tension by changing the tremolo position, but now that you've tuned it again the tremolo is out of place. So it's a back and forth of striking a balance that as a Beginner isn't really worth it since you won't be using it too much if at all. This is much worse with a floating trem (the 170 is a floyd rose like trem so it can only get raised not lowered inti the guitar) but its still a pain in the ass.

Snoopycat

Banned
Like the other guy said I'd recommend starting off learning on an acoustic. It'll help you become a better player, it's easier to go jam with friends and you won't have to worry about noise. If you really want an electric then get the Yamaha Pacifica. You won't get a better starter guitar for the price.

Like the other guy said I'd recommend starting off learning on an acoustic. It'll help you become a better player, it's easier to go jam with friends and you won't have to worry about noise. If you really want an electric then get the Yamaha Pacifica. You won't get a better starter guitar for the price.

Personally I wouldn't recommend starting on an acoustic. The strings are much thicker and harder to press down. You're much better off learning on an electric and taking the comparatively smaller step of adjusting to an acoustic.

A Pacifica is a great beginner guitar. You might also want to look at some of the classic vibe squire line. I think they might have jacked the prices up on them but the necks on them are just fantastic for a budget guitar

Snoopycat

Banned
Personally I wouldn't recommend starting on an acoustic. The strings are much thicker and harder to press down. You're much better off learning on an electric and taking the comparatively smaller step of adjusting to an acoustic.

This is something people have been debating forever but I think it's better to learn on acoustic than an electric. You build caluses and hand strength much faster. It's a lot better to learn basics and develop technique on an acoustic. In the end though people should just pick a guitar based on what kind of music they want to play

Formless

A <250/300 dollar Ibanez is perfect.

Don't forget picks, cables, and a couple sets of strings. A cheap strap so you can learn playing standing up is important too.

shamanick

I disagree with those recommending starting on acoustic, if you want to play electric get one. The Pacificas are ok, not great, but I strongly recommend that you find someone to help you shop for a guitar and get a used electric like a US Strat. Find something mid-range that you won't grow out of too quickly. A lot of the entry-level guitars are built poorly and will be harder to play, especially as a beginner.

this is a great point as well:

Get the hardtail one (the 121) unless you want to be frustrated everytime you try to tune your guitar for something you probably won't be using too much.

Surfinn

Recordings don't lie. Found this out the hard way

pulsemyne

Yamaha Pacificas are great beginner guitars. Hell, they are good guitars full stop. The pickups are't great but you can always change them for something better. The neck though it really bloody nice. Much better than the cheap epiphones and squiers.

jamilla11

Neo Member

Hi Demption
check out this review, I hope it will help you.
https://musicadvisor.com/best-guitar-brands/

based on my own experience playing guitar on your own is really a mess, or maybe because I prefer to play with someone who can teach.
so anyway for me it is better to buy on actual stores, but if you can't find one that is near your place better go to stores with lots of positive reviews.
it is also better to buy with a friend who knows guitar well.
Good luck on your journey :)

olympia

mexican strat. if you're starting electric. the modular design of fender guitars allows you to understand how an electric guitar works and how to play one. they aren't super stylish but you can't beat the versatility. you can easily replace the pickups once you get into more intermediate playing. i wouldn't worry about that at this point though.

you can find one for under $300. check craigslist and eBay. i'd say a peak era for the model is in the late 90s/early 2000s

Last edited:

MultiCore

If you're starting out, don't buy anything with a Floyd Rose tremolo. They're great, but not for beginners. Ibanez has them on a lot of models, so watch out.

The Pacifica is great. There's a lot of great cheap guitars. Pick something that inspires you to practice.

There's a million headphone options. Start with something cheap, like a DigiTech multi effects pedal, and move up as your needs require. You don't have to start out with an exotic tube amp.

https://digitech.com/en/products/digitech-element-xp

Or something cheaper:
NUX Classic Rock Guitar Plug Headphone Amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJCYSMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The recommendation for the Line 6 Spyder is a reasonable one.

My first guitar was an Ibanez RG270, and I still have it. It's a good guitar, super thin neck.

Last edited:
Good choice. Another tip would be this: do some quick little research about gear, purchase it, then forget about it and focus on the music. There are many people online that fall into the 'gear trap': they do nothing but read gear-focused forums, and sell and buy gear, until they have the 'sound they crave'. Meanwhile they forget about music.

Dark Star

whatever you do, don't get one of those "starter kits" with the cheap little amp and stuff - waste of money
get a 250 + dollar guitar (if you want to start on an electric, anything lower is junk, i've been playing guitar for over 15 years)
you can actually get a quality acoustic on amazon for really cheap. I got a Rogue RG series (left handed) for like 70 bucks and it sounds and plays like a real classic.
hmmm for amps, you might want to look into on Peavy vypyr - lots of effects you can mess around with, even the notorious line 6 spyder isn't THAT bad for a beginner.

Last edited:
I'm a muso, been playing guitar for 23 years, I have a degree in composition.

My advice is try and get a hand-me-down or borrow a somewhat decent acoustic guitar from someone for six months or so. I know you like metal (I like prog metal a lot) but you need to get the basic stuff down first.

Everyone always ignores me when I say this for some reason, but If you're going to buy a guitar, my advice is buy a second-hand guitar. My main guitar that I use is a Maton (acoustic) which is an Australian made guitar that was made in 1981. Quite frankly it's way better than buying a new acoustic. Don't be fooled into thinking 'new' is 'better' when it comes to musical instruments, it's quite frankly not true. Decent guitar's get better with age as they take some time to set in - have a richer tone, better attack etc.

The problem with starting out is that cheap guitars are hard to play, have bad action (strings high above the fretboard) and crappy intonation. So it's a tough one, because you don't know if you'll take to it or not. But yeah, if you're going to buy and electric guitar, buy a second-hand Fender or Ibenez or something. Try out at music shops but buy from pawn shops/private sellers etc. you'll get something way better for your money.

camelCase

I know you don't want one but I would really recommend starting with a nylon - stringed acoustic or "classical" guitar. The bigger frets help you later on as do the thick strings. And you should learn how to read music too, but you've probably given up on this post by now. If you haven't here's some Carcassi that ain't so hard on the eyes. Godspeed, whatever you choose to get.

Yah, Nylon is not a bad way to start and you can get something pretty cheap and it's easier to play. I started with a Nylon guitar when I was 13 or so, then I got a decent hand-me-down steel-string acoustic from my Auntie afterwards. My first electric was a USA Fender Strat after I'd playing for a 2 and half years or so. Learning an instrument takes time and practice, that's just the way it is. I also have a Maton acoustic, an ESP (which is great but was pretty expensive) and a couple of other acoustics. A quality nylon string is probably what I need to get myself as I tend to play a lot more finger-picking these days.

Seriously though, try to lend or get a hand-me-down from a relative/friend if you can, promise you'll look after and do them a favour or something. Spending a bunch of money on an instrument you may never take to can just be a waste and if you buy something crappy, you'll never take to it. Guaranteed. I've seen it time and time again.

camelCase

Seriously though, try to lend or get a hand-me-down from a relative/friend if you can, promise you'll look after and do them a favour or something. Spending a bunch of money on an instrument you may never take to can just be a waste and if you buy something crappy, you'll never take to it. Guaranteed. I've seen it time and time again.

I'd like to add to this that broken-in guitars are inexplicably easier to play than those fresh off the shelf. My friend had some piece of shit in his attic and after a minute of playing it I was already trying to convince him to part with it. Not to mention they got that workhorse feel like the beater you used to deliver newspapers in.

I'd like to add to this that broken-in guitars are inexplicably easier to play than those fresh off the shelf. My friend had some piece of shit in his attic and after a minute of playing it I was already trying to convince him to part with it. Not to mention they got that workhorse feel like the beater you used to deliver newspapers in.

Exactly. I said the same thing in my previous post. I wouldn't even buy a new guitar myself nowadays. It's just pointless in my view. You'll get a way better buy and the second-hand guitar might have some dings or whatever, but who gives a shit, lol. I've had the same experience as you and your mate so many times, it's frustrating, but there you go.

Last edited:

camelCase

Exactly. I said the same thing in my previous post. I wouldn't even buy a new guitar myself nowadays. It's just pointless in my view. You'll get a way better buy and the second-hand guitar might have some dings or whatever, but who gives a shit, lol. I've had the same experience as you and your mate so many times, it's frustrating, but there you go.

Not that nicer higher end models don't exist. I own a Kenny Hill from when I still played classical that cost somewhat of a pretty penny and a Guild which was used but still cost 2 grand. Both sound hella nice when you hit em in the right place, the guild sounds great nearly anywhere though.

What kind do you play? And what do you play on it? I'm barely practicing but trying to learn jazz soloing.

MultiCore

I know you guys are trying to do the "right" thing by encouraging him to start on acoustic, but getting something he likes, that he can make sound the way he wants, is more likely to keep him playing than struggling to do things a "better" way that isn't as exciting.

I'm no music major, but I play sax primarily, and I've taught myself a better than average(among self taught players) amount of guitar. I started on my Ibanez, and acquired a few more, a couple acoustics and a bass. Just bought a PRS S2 and a Helix LT, and I've had more fun with that than I have in years.

Most people give up on learning instruments because it's hard, and it takes a lot of discipline and guidance to learn an instrument well.

Learning some guitar basics by yourself is easier than ever thanks to YouTube and Ultimate Guitar. If he wants to transition to acoustic later, it's going to be the same self discipline to learn the differences as it was to get him to that point anyway.

He's unlikely to be a conservatory-level player after this, and he doesn't have to be. Playing Blink 182 and Metallica riffs for personal enjoyment doesn't require him to have a perfect start.

I just don't want him to get discouraged by the notion that if he doesn't start by playing classical and reading traditional notation then he shouldn't bother.

Like you said, you've seen a million people pick up a new guitar, play twice and hang it on the wall and never touch it again. It's not likely it had anything to do with whether they started in acoustic.

Good luck to everyone. 🎸

Last edited:
Not that nicer higher end models don't exist. I own a Kenny Hill from when I still played classical that cost somewhat of a pretty penny and a Guild which was used but still cost 2 grand. Both sound hella nice when you hit em in the right place, the guild sounds great nearly anywhere though.

What kind do you play? And what do you play on it? I'm barely practicing but trying to learn jazz soloing.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't knock new guitars that hard, I bought an ESP with a Les Paul shape (it was expensive too) a bunch of years ago. I took it to a Luthier to get it set-up properly, but it's pretty sweet. I have a Fender Strat (USA), ESP, Maton acoustic and a couple of other acoustics, the the latter of which I don't use really.

I actually haven't played my electric guitars for at-least a year. I play my Maton (1981, Australian made) pretty much exclusively of-late. I absolutely love it; rich tone, brilliant attack. I just like the immediacy of the acoustic I guess, pick it up and play, no fucking around.

I like Prog Metal and Classical (Art) music personally. I need to get into the ESP to record some prog stuff soonish. I'm more of the 'creative' music type and get the most satisfaction out of writing music, notating it (Finale) and using a DAW (Cubase) for recording, though I can't seem to really get the production side of things as polished as I would like (need to practice more really).

I have a music degree but doing the Teaching component now (Masters) and I actually get out and do some busking of late (need to set-up or get into some group soonish). Because I play a lot of solo guitar stuff, I practice finger-picking style and learn like popular songs where I combine the melody with the harmony and stuff like that. I really need to work on that way more to be able to play the Classical/Art music type stuff.

I do improvise a lot though, did a lot of Jazz at Uni - the teachers really knew their shit there. I'm not into Jazz enough (I still like it) to really dive head-on into it, but I still use a lot of the ideas. I'm pretty decent at the 'modal' side of things, but fast chord changes do my head in. What many don't realise, I think, is that improvising takes a lot of using your brain; hitting chord tones/extended harmony etc. to really be successful at it. I use the ideas of changing scales/modes like with the Blues and whatnot and my own tunes. That stuff is invaluable IMO. I had to change my Right-hand technique, so now I can play really fast.

camelCase

I don't think he should go into a classical career, classical is very boring and painstaking with very little payoff imo. But learning a few carcassi or carulli etudes doesn't hurt, they're very easy to read and are mostly simple arpeggios.

I agree that it's easy to scare someone off like that but telling someone to learn how to read music if they want to be a musician is good advice, I think.

And for the record becoming any level of musician takes discipline even if it is just 15 minutes of not fun practicing every few days or weeks, even. Not to sound like a hardass.

Get a used Fender mexican made Stratocaster. It won't be expensive and they play better than most guitars in that price range. Strats just play easy, and that will make learning easier. I started with a Strat, bought a bunch of other guitars and eventually came back to a Strat. Tonally versatile and feel just right.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If you like metal, then the firs thing you need to consider is construction materials. Most metal guitarists play a mahogany bodied guitar with a maple neck. They play guitars with two or more humbucker pickups.

Mahogany is going to limit your choices on inexpensive starter guitars, but because it's expensive to start with, that typically means the build quality will be better to help justify the price. $700 is a good starting price point for a good sounding, well made, nice playing guitar made of mahogany, though you may be able to find something in the $500 range.

You could get something cheap, but it won't sound good. A lot of people say you won't notice the difference as a new player, and that's probably true, but over time you'll be less bored as you get better if you're better able to pull good sounds out of your guitar. That's easier with a nicer guitar.

camelCase

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't knock new guitars that hard, I bought an ESP with a Les Paul shape (it was expensive too) a bunch of years ago. I took it to a Luthier to get it set-up properly, but it's pretty sweet. I have a Fender Strat (USA), ESP, Maton acoustic and a couple of other acoustics, the the latter of which I don't use really.

I actually haven't played my electric guitars for at-least a year. I play my Maton (1981, Australian made) pretty much exclusively of-late. I absolutely love it; rich tone, brilliant attack. I just like the immediacy of the acoustic I guess, pick it up and play, no fucking around.

I like Prog Metal and Classical (Art) music personally. I need to get into the ESP to record some prog stuff soonish. I'm more of the 'creative' music type and get the most satisfaction out of writing music, notating it (Finale) and using a DAW (Cubase) for recording, though I can't seem to really get the production side of things as polished as I would like (need to practice more really).

I have a music degree but doing the Teaching component now (Masters) and I actually get out and do some busking of late (need to set-up or get into some group soonish). Because I play a lot of solo guitar stuff, I practice finger-picking style and learn like popular songs where I combine the melody with the harmony and stuff like that. I really need to work on that way more to be able to play the Classical/Art music type stuff.

I do improvise a lot though, did a lot of Jazz at Uni - the teachers really knew their shit there. I'm not into Jazz enough (I still like it) to really dive head-on into it, but I still use a lot of the ideas. I'm pretty decent at the 'modal' side of things, but fast chord changes do my head in. What many don't realise, I think, is that improvising takes a lot of using your brain; hitting chord tones/extended harmony etc. to really be successful at it. I use the ideas of changing scales/modes like with the Blues and whatnot and my own tunes. That stuff is invaluable IMO. I had to change my Right-hand technique, so now I can play really fast.

I play mostly for satisfaction now too but it's only out of laze really. I never got into composition, or never too far because it's hard to get into that without having a huge technical background; it's impossible to compose on paper and then play later unless you're Mozart or a multi decade vet. I always made up short muses and fantasies but they were imperfect and never the same thing twice, lol, which is kind of missing the point of composition. Classically it was always easy to string portions from pieces together but never really develop a true idea of my own, that is, I could never see a Bach type composition of my own from start to end. A prelude, fine, but anything more complicated and that literally did make my head spin. I could not imagine composing a fugue, much less one that sounded like anything.

Speaking from a jazz perspective, I actually think the chord changes ground it. Play (or screw around in my case) with enough jazz and you'll realize the "only a few chord progressions" idea is very true. Improvisation at this stage for me isn't about being creative but learning enough riffs/scales/turnarounds/whatever to get to the point where I can talk (figuratively) over the changes and not sound like an idiot. Chord changes and the simple lead sheet notation that's used is an absolute godsend because it is so accessible. I'm no amateur and I can read all right, but I can't sightread a classical piece of any considerable difficulty and have it not sound like complete balls. But leadsheets are easy af unless it's just straight up difficult like a giant steps or something.

You changed your right hand technique in jazz, that must mean you play jazz with your fingers. I applaud that. I played almost exclusively Wes Montgomery style (100% thumb, no nail, no pick) for a few years when I was stubborn and it sounds sooooooooooooooooooo much better than a pick. And I use those 3.0 mm fat boy's that sound really warm. Needless to say I switched to pick because it isn't feasible to use thumb if you want to go crazy learning 251's.

I also like chord melody arrangements. I did one for that I don't want to set the world on fire when fallout 3 came out, and a few others, including Black Orpheus (manha de carnaval.) There's a guy named Jake Reichbart who does a lot of these. They're jazz oriented (swing mostly) so it may not be your cup of tea but I think they're cool. Here's one.

camelCase

I joined other forums and some guitar players suggested that it better to play electric guitar, it is easier to learn playing it than the acoustic guitar.

But we have our own skills and learning so it really depends on the persons preference right?
Besides there are lots of ways if you really want to learn by yourself, like me I used guitar apps and I watch youtube.

Yeah youtubes by far the best learning resources for musicians. Pro tip: shift + < slows down video playback, you can learn practically anything doing that.

Top Bottom