• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 2 Demo Watch and New Songs!?!?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got the demo today...havent played GH in months but fortunately I can beat all 4 songs on the demo in expert mode in 1 try. Getting 5 stars on Strutter or YYZ is another thing though...
Those 3 button chords feel too awkward for me, like the first time playing Guitar Hero using my pinky finger on the 4th fret button

Oneself said:
Wow, I just tried the demo (had it for a few days but didn't take the time to try it... too much Okami) and I can't ****ing nail a song on hard or expert. DAMN. It's much harder than the first one!:lol I can't wait to try the multiplayer though, it's gonna... well... rock.

Hehe.

Went directly into hard mode the first time, pretty hard at first but now I'm somehow nailing pretty much all the songs. Expert is another story though, working on that right now.

I beat them all without Star Power on 1-player, and so did my friend (both on Expert). But on 2-player we get slaughtered without using the stars. Does it seem like it grades harder on Co-op to anyone else?

Tommy Gun

Went to my local Dominicks at 3am and got it! You guys didn't tell me it would cost $10. <_< Oh well. It also came with a Killzone Liberation demo, so I guess it's worth it, although I don't have a PSP yet.

It took me like five tries to get my PS2 to read the disc (it's getting old, I guess)! I beat them all on Expert on my first try, except for YYZ because the star power wouldn't activate, so I was standing there shaking my guitar missing all the notes! I got it on my 3rd try though. Strutter Expert has a lot of 3-button-chords, so it's good practice for that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
are you guys all using the up/down strum all of the time, or just in the really tight parts?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Leondexter said:
I beat them all without Star Power on 1-player, and so did my friend (both on Expert). But on 2-player we get slaughtered without using the stars. Does it seem like it grades harder on Co-op to anyone else?

well in co-op it's a lot harder to get multipliers since only one person needs to mess up, but I don't think that affects the color rating system, not sure.

Kimi

duderon said:
I just paid $8.99 for the demo. What the **** is up with OPM costing $9.99?? Nuckin Futs.

I just paid $12.99 here in Montreal. Don't US publishes know the Canadian dollar isn't strong anymore?! I got it at a metro station.

Vlad

alr1ghtstart said:
are you guys all using the up/down strum all of the time, or just in the really tight parts?

Honestly, it's hard to say. I definitely don't use alternate strumming on every part of every song, but definintely in parts where the notes come pretty fast (like The Breaking Wheel). I also tend to use it on parts where there's any set of notes that are coming at the same pace (like Strutter or You Got Another Thing Comin').

Thing is, though, I don't really pay all that much attention to when I do it and when I don't. After playing GH so much I just tend to automatically do whatever I'd be more comfortable with depending on the part of the song.

alr1ghtstart said:

I very rarely strum up and down at all, but I'm kind of a twitch freak and can strum in one direction faster than my friends can strum both ways. The few exceptions are just by choice, usually to get more precision than speed.

Wario64 said:
Got the demo today...havent played GH in months but fortunately I can beat all 4 songs on the demo in expert mode in 1 try. Getting 5 stars on Strutter or YYZ is another thing though...
Those 3 button chords feel too awkward for me, like the first time playing Guitar Hero using my pinky finger on the 4th fret button
I hate you.

Actually, I haven't tried on expert yet, I'll report back.

I can't wait to try out co-op.

Well, only YYZ owned my ass. But hammer-ons and pull-offs are just so much easier now, which I think makes the game easier than the first, even with the 3-button chords.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
xir said:
what else is on the demo disc this month?

Need for Speed Carbon and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. And some videos, Rule of Rose is one.

Drakken

Woooooooo! I finally have the demo! My OPM still hasn't come in the mail yet, so I went down to the local bookstore, which thankfully just got it in. That's the first time I've ever spent $10 on a magazine. I'm sure it will be well-worth it, though.

Time to play GH II! :D

On a side note, it would be neat to see the sales figures for the November issue of OPM compared to other issues. I imagine it would be much higher due to GH II alone.

Vlad

CajoleJuice said:
Well, only YYZ owned my ass. But hammer-ons and pull-offs are just so much easier now, which I think makes the game easier than the first, even with the 3-button chords.

Hard to tell, but that may be the case. It all depends on how the notes are arranged. The easier HOPOs and practice mode are going to make learning the tougher sections a whole lot easier. No more stuff like sitting through half of Symphony of Destruction just to get another crack at that nasty solo.

The big thing that I've noticed (I think I even mentioned it a few posts up) is that the solos in GH2 look like they're going to be a LOT harder than the first game. Judging from the demo and a few of the videos I've seen, there's going to be more solo sections that have much tougher note patterns, and also jump around from green to orange pretty quickly. Even the hardest solos in the first game tended to stay in four note ranges for longer periods of time.

So while it may be easier to learn stuff in GH2, that may not necessarily be a bad thing. The game will still be fun, and from the looks of stuff like YYZ, it'll still be a good challenge to actually nail the solo in the context of the rest of a song to get a good score.

Vlad said:
Hard to tell, but that may be the case. It all depends on how the notes are arranged. The easier HOPOs and practice mode are going to make learning the tougher sections a whole lot easier. No more stuff like sitting through half of Symphony of Destruction just to get another crack at that nasty solo.

The big thing that I've noticed (I think I even mentioned it a few posts up) is that the solos in GH2 look like they're going to be a LOT harder than the first game. Judging from the demo and a few of the videos I've seen, there's going to be more solo sections that have much tougher note patterns, and also jump around from green to orange pretty quickly. Even the hardest solos in the first game tended to stay in four note ranges for longer periods of time.

So while it may be easier to learn stuff in GH2, that may not necessarily be a bad thing. The game will still be fun, and from the looks of stuff like YYZ, it'll still be a good challenge to actually nail the solo in the context of the rest of a song to get a good score.
all the other songs in the demo, are according to set list MTV leaked, from the first TWO tiers of the game. YYZ wasn't seen on the set list so we don't know where it fits in.

i think considering that, these 3 songs are harder than the sort of songs you'd get in the first two teirs on the first. for me anyway.

Picked up mine in Ottawa today. I am so happy. Haven't been able to get any of my douchebag friends to do the coop yet.

Hammer ons/pull offs do seem easier.

Drakken

Alright, I played it a bit. Yay for much easier HOs/POs. Now that I can actually attempt crazy solos on Expert, I realize that my pinky finger needs work. I don't have the control over it necessary to perform riffs with orange notes in them.

I realized that this demo is kind of pointless. If you don't have Guitar Hero 1, why bother playing it? And if you do have Guitar Hero 1, you're more than likely going to be buying the sequal anyway so, at best, you're playing these four songs a month before you're going to be buying the full game anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I love the game, just saying the demo isn't going to win any new fans.

Drakken

bune duggy said:
I realized that this demo is kind of pointless. If you don't have Guitar Hero 1, why bother playing it? And if you do have Guitar Hero 1, you're more than likely going to be buying the sequal anyway so, at best, you're playing these four songs a month before you're going to be buying the full game anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I love the game, just saying the demo isn't going to win any new fans.

Perhaps they're releasing it for the fans they already have? Just perhaps?

Odrion

Banned
Wow, hard to describ how the game feels now. The notes seem easier to hit, as in I am more successful as hitting very quick notes. But the three notes, the changing beat patterns and the such make the game more difficult.

I like it.

Also, the demo introduced me to Rush. Now I wish they unintroduce me to them.

Drakken

Odrion said:
Wow, hard to describ how the game feels now. The notes seem easier to hit, as in I am more successful as hitting very quick notes. But the three notes, the changing beat patterns and the such make the game more difficult.

I like it.

Also, the demo introduced me to Rush. Now I wish they unintroduce me to them.

Dude, Rush is awesome. :-/

I only have the SG guitar, but here's something my friend noticed while playing the demo earlier: even though the demo won't let you use a controller to play, just the guitar, if you unplug the guitar once a song is actually started and plug in a controller, it will then work.

Has anyone tried this with the other guitars? A "hot swap" might work.

MrBeanTroll said:
I would also say that a good portion of GH fans are impatient and want a fix as soon as possible.
that's what I meant by the "at best you're playing the songs a month early" :)
Drakken said:
Perhaps they're releasing it for the fans they already have? Just perhaps?
I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying that if you are sans SG controller, you are sans GH love. So yeah, they are releasing it just for the fans, but that won't really win them any new ones.

i honestly think this demo wasn't designed to make me buy guitar hero 2 since that was a given, but to make me buy OPM which i've never bought before.

TYRiAX

Drakken said:
Dude, Rush is awesome. :-/

I hadn't heard any of Rush's music before this demo, all i can say is that yyz rules! it got the most play from me and it awesomly stuck in my head now

pdk27

Doesn't seem like there is a left handed option. I can't get through any song playing right handed.

You left-handed people are weird.

I had people over yesterday and like half of them wanted to go left-handed, but they were all right-handed.

I'm left-handed and I play the RIGHT way.
lol right handed joke burn :(

Anyways, I just find it very weird.

plagiarize said:
i honestly think this demo wasn't designed to make me buy guitar hero 2 since that was a given, but to make me buy OPM which i've never bought before.
It's a really old demo, so the final game will be much better.

Fusebox

Banned
Just had a go with the GHII demo for the first time. I was feeling confident from completing all of GH1 in expert so I jumped straight in at expert difficulty for all the songs in the demo.

Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue: fairly easy, but very fun to play. Not a big fan of the way its sung though.

You Really Got Me - Van Halen: Didnt even realise it was the VH version until the guitar fills started comin thick and strong but wasn't too tough considering the guitarist behind the cover.

Strummer - Kiss: Not really familiar with this song but I was loving the 3-finger chords in it, they're a great addition to GH. Very fun to play.

YYZ - Rush: Not very familiar with this tune either, this was the only song I couldn't finish on my first attempt/ Great intro, fun to play but I got kicked out at 55%, its an oddball tune.

Not much else to report, graphics are the same, the new guitars and guitarists to choose are a decent distraciton but GHII is all about the tracklist. :thumb:

Autofokus

A little let-down for me: The different scrolling fretboards are still only based on the selected Character, so the different guitars you choose are again "useless" - hoped for more variation on this. :/

Wahoo! It came in the mail today after lab and I was so happy.

Just beat them all on my first time on expert. Strutter and YYZ were amazing!

Day 1 can't come soon enough :D

Odrion

Banned
TYRiAX said:
I hadn't heard any of Rush's music before this demo, all i can say is that yyz rules! it got the most play from me and it awesomly stuck in my head now

After three more days of playing, eeeh **** you're right. The song sounds a bit cheesy but it's very fun to play (I'll actually get down on my knees when playing that guitar part before the slow beats.)

Strutter kicks my ass, hopefully the practice mode will buff up my 3 chord skillz.

finally got the demo last night. Played all four songs on medium as a warm up and it went well. Tried YYZ on hard and realized I should have started with an easier song. :lol Damn that was killer. I made it, only three stars but I made it. Need more practice!

Vlad

*(#!@#!!!

I've been trying to 100% Strutter on Expert, and on my last run, I managed to nail both solos perfectly, but I missed a note on the chorus, of all things and blew it.

Still got 281,697, though :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
well, just sweet I got my demo today but it doesn't work. It gets past the "PlayStation 2" screen then just freezes. I just downloaded a copy and, shazam that works. WTF. OPM.

D3VI0US

Man so this demo wasn't enough to hold me over until the final version, especially since I'm already expert level. YYZ was a bitch but I got that down eventually and now I'm back to waiting for the full game. Sigh.

Miguel

ARGH!!!!! STUPID DISC WON'T GET PAST THE PLAYSTATION 2 SCREEN ARRGHHHHHHHH :(

OPM hates me for reading PSM for all those years.

Hayami

Banned
I like everyone saying "ohh you left-handed FREAKS!" it's ridiculous that such a simple option is again being ****ed over. it was a huge pain to do the lefty flip in GH1, and I'm glad they added a pause-switch option. but hey, way to sell your game, Harmonix. why do you think FPS offer such customizable control?

Top Bottom