• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero II Final Tracklist Revealed

adg1034

From IGN:
IGN said:
October 9, 2006 - After a year of wishlists, speculation and even a bit of "slipped" information, RedOctane has finally revealed to us the final licensed tracklist for Guitar Hero II. Totaling 40 tunes in all, spread over eight difficulty levels, the sequel to our Best Music Game of 2005 seems to have an even wider range of rock-oriented music than the first time out. From Guns N' Roses to the Police to Dick Dale, Guitar Hero II runs the gamut of rock.

Without further ado, here are the tracks you'll be rocking out to come November 7th.

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmtih - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

As for the unlockable bonus tracks, RedOctane tells us that it wants to keep those songs a secret until release as to not spoil everything for the fans. Sounds good to us, though we're certainly interested to know simply what caliber of tracks will be included. Good things come to those who wait however, and luckily we have less than a month to do so.

Cool.

adg1034

Wolfmother's "Woman". Megadeth's "Hangar 18". Thin Lizzy's "Bad Reputation". Hells yeah. Oh, and if you haven't seen Misirlou on Expert mode, you need to. Now. It's on this week's On The Spot (Gamespot), and it starts around 54:00. The Hard mode version is right before it. God, I love that song.

Gigglepoo

Ha! Institutionalized! That's hilarious

"All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi. But she wouldn't give it to me."

I'm disapointed that The Toadies didn't make the cut, though. What the hell happened there? I thought they were confirmed from the get go.

That is one hell of a tracklist. Yay AIC!

Did they get the rights to the original artist recordings this time or is it still all covers?

demi

Gigglepoo said:
Ha! Institutionalized! That's hilarious

"All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi. But she wouldn't give it to me."

I'm disapointed that The Toadies didn't make the cut, though. What the hell happened there? I thought they were confirmed from the get go.

There are secret traaaaaacksssss

Gigglepoo

Come to think of it, wasn't Tenacious D all but confirmed as well? Toadies and D hidden somewhere in that disc would please me so much.

Fusebox

Banned
Awesome tracklist, looking forward to playing Stop - it'll be hard not to curl my hand into an E7#9th for the intro but I cant wait for this. :D

I saw it somewhere that the bonus unlockable tracks are mostly "real" songs this time instead of tracks from all the Red Octane/Harmonix guys' garage bands. There were a few different bands (Toadies, Tool, Europe) that the Harmonix guys hinted would be in the game that aren't on that list -- I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of them turn up in the secret tracks.

EDIT: No AC/DC = QQ me though.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
I can't help but be happy and sad about this. No matter what there's always going to be something that I would want on this, but I guess that's what Frets on Fire+Smartjoy is for. One song that I simply cannot agree with is Primus - John The Fisherman. Seriously, what the f#@%, Fisticuffs bitches! It would be cool to play as the bassist from time to time.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
should be fun. I gave my copy of the original to my buddy for a new copy of DQ8, so I'll have to buy this one with the guitar, but I don't mind too much cuz the games kick ass and redoctane deserves some dough.

Gigglepoo said:
Come to think of it, wasn't Tenacious D all but confirmed as well? Toadies and D hidden somewhere in that disc would please me so much.

I wish. It bums me out that they're not there. Europe's Final Countdown was also another song that was all but confirmed. =(

schism

Kind of cool to see The Living End in there, overall I am really stoked about the tracklisting, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Sweet, I already completed one of the harder songs on expert it seems (YYZ). :D

Great songlist all-around. Only thing I'm still missing is a Dire Straits song though, but hey...can't have everything. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
charlequin said:
There were a few different bands (Toadies, Tool, Europe) that the Harmonix guys hinted would be in the game that aren't on that list

Oh shit...Europe!? That would be nuts! :O

border

GUITAR HERO 2: ALL THE BANDS YOU WANT, ALL THE SONGS YOU DON'T

Still feels like a list that's more full of compromises than superbness. It's like they had to get all the second-tier songs in order to get the recent big name bands.

Fusebox

Banned
While it isnt the cream of the crop of rock tunes, I do like being exposed to tunes I may not have heard much before - GH1 showed me a few new songs that I really like now.

Sure its missing Iron Maiden, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, Mars Volta and just about every other band I like but it has Janes Addiction so I guess I don't really have anything to complain about.

Needs more punk rawk :(

Other than that, pretty damn good. It's a real shame Weezer or Green Day didn't make the cut. I also would have loved to see a ska song, just because it would be fun to play with the guitar on the off-beats. Suicidal Tendencies is nice though.

It's a great tracklist (and I hope some of the secret tracks are great too - Final Countdown???!?), but there's always more to be desired by everyone. That's why this series is going to be such a ****ing cash cow.

border said:
GUITAR HERO 2: ALL THE BANDS YOU WANT, ALL THE SONGS YOU DON'T

Still feels like a list that's more full of compromises than superbness. It's like they had to get all the second-tier songs in order to get the recent big name bands.
One of the guys at Harmonix has said many times that they want bands you know but songs you may not.

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
which is why ill be buying it for 360, get your songs whenever they have them done so you dont have to wait a year for a new iteration to come out

:lol That's not going to happen, buddy. Xbox 360 owners will more than likely be getting the Guitar Hero 1 song's and thats it'. You WON'T get big name exclusive songs. Maybe some more of HMX bands but no Maiden or anything. Activision isn't stupid enough to waste money on a liscence only a certain amount can play.

Oh, I forgot, the inclusion of The Stray Cats and The Living End has me very excited. Rockabilly is such a great genre, and I love The Living End's punked out rockabilly style.

Methodis said:
:lol That's not going to happen, buddy. Xbox 360 owners will more than likely be getting the Guitar Hero 1 song's and thats it'. You WON'T get big name exclusive songs. Maybe some more of HMX bands but no Maiden or anything. Activision isn't stupid enough to waste money on a liscence only a certain amount can play.

riiiiight downloadable content isnt the way of the future? how would it be stupid by activision? you release a new song every week and by the end of 6 months youll have enough songs to print a disc for ps2 owners or 360 owners who didnt want downloadable content. if you seriously dont think theyll put exclusive songs on the 360 version your crazy

border

MrBeanTroll said:
One of the guys at Harmonix has said many times that they want bands you know but songs you may not.
I want bands I know and songs I know, though -- not obscure album tracks or covers of songs famous bands covered.. Almost every musician on GH1 is playing their signature song (or something very close to it).

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
riiiiight downloadable content isnt the way of the future? how would it be stupid by activision? you release a new song every week and by the end of 6 months youll have enough songs to print a disc for ps2 owners or 360 owners who didnt want downloadable content. if you seriously dont think theyll put exclusive songs on the 360 version your crazy

:lol . It won't be any big name exclusives. They have hard enough time trying to get it for a game disc, they won't get big names for online. It'll be Guitar Hero 1 tracks with exclusives from indie and house bands. Plus Harmonix has better things to work on, like Guitar Hero 3 or Frequency 3.

Methodis

Banned
border said:
I want bands I know and songs I know, though -- not obscure album tracks or covers of songs famous bands covered.. Almost every musician on GH1 is playing their signature song (or something very close to it).

There's a reason why you don't see those songs; the main reason is that most of the big songs, just aren't that fun to play. The second is David Lee Roth.

Methodis said:
:lol . It won't be any big name exclusives. They have hard enough time trying to get it for a game disc, they won't get big names for online. It'll be Guitar Hero 1 tracks with exclusives from indie and house bands. Plus Harmonix has better things to work on, like Guitar Hero 3 or Frequency 3.

um you do realize that they got bought by MTV right? getting music shouldnt be a problem for them anymore

C'mon folks, some artists/labels refuse to license their songs for the price Activision/Red Octane are willing to offer. It's a business and they have a game budget just like any other game; plus they're waiting for microtransactions to kick in...Would you be willing to pay $10 for the song YOU want?

Methodis said:
:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom