• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero II Final Tracklist Revealed

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder which Freezepop song they're gonna use this time. Can't be a Harmonix game without Freezepop

border

Methodis said:
There's a reason why you don't see those songs; the main reason is that most of the big songs, just aren't that fun to play.
What made them fun to play was that they were "the big songs" -- the ones that everybody at the party knows when you're playing. Ziggy Stardust isn't especially challenging, but I'd rather play it than some second-rate Bowie single that might more interesting guitar work.

um you do realize that they got bought by MTV right? getting music shouldnt be a problem for them anymore
Why do people think that MTV owns the rights to all music or something?

truffleshuffle83 said:
i cant imagine tanking freebird towards the end and having to replay it. that would be the ultimate kick in the dick.

Well, I got kicked in the dick by the last ****ing note of bark at the moon. It DID hurt.

CajoleJuice said:
8 groups of songs, with 8 different names for their difficulty levels. There was 6 in the original.
Ahhh, I thought it meant difficulty as in easy, medium, hard, expert.

I got the demo two days ago and I love it. This is like my most anticipated game ever.
I'm having more trouble with stutter than yyz so far. I'm sure it will be hard enough and keep me occupied for months. I love this tracklist.

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
um you do realize that they got bought by MTV right? getting music shouldnt be a problem for them anymore

MTV also co-produced Guitar Hero 1 and 2, so what's your point?

Exactly, nothing. :) Good try on making this a 360 spin thread :).

Truth be told, you don't exactly snap your fingers and a band gives you rights, regardless if you're attached to MTV. Bands don't want people to tamper with their music. I posted the story about Linkin Park on another thread, search my posts for it.

Also Frequency 3 would be the best game ever. Harmonix want's to make it, just Sony won't sell them the liscence :(.

Gigglepoo

bune duggy said:
:lol :lol :lol

Were you just laughing at the idea of Frequency 3? Have you played Amplitude? It's frickin' brilliant. I thought it was much better than Guitar Hero. A ton more variety in the gameplay and the ability to remix songs made it a top notch game all around.

Methodis said:
Harmonix want's to make it, just Sony won't sell them the liscence :(.

What? License? The first game was called Frequency. The second game was called Amplitude. They could call the first Pi if they wanted, who cares? They don't have to buy anything from Sony to make a third entry in the series.

border said:
What made them fun to play was that they were "the big songs" -- the ones that everybody at the party knows when you're playing. Ziggy Stardust isn't especially challenging, but I'd rather play it than some second-rate Bowie single that might more interesting guitar work.

Why do people think that MTV owns the rights to all music or something?
I really think a good bunch of these songs are big hits. Maybe not all of them, but a good amount. And even the ones that aren't huge hits, I know them, and I love them, so **** everyone else, I'm happy.

Methodis

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Were you just laughing at the idea of Frequency 3? Have you played Amplitude? It's frickin' brilliant. I thought it was much better than Guitar Hero. A ton more variety in the gameplay and the ability to remix songs made it a top notch game all around.

This man has taste! :)

The X360 will definitely get big name songs for download (outside the GH1 pack). There are tons of songs that RO/Hmx already licensed and produced but didn't make the cut for GH1 or 2 for whatever reason. I wouldn't be too surprised if they popped up on the marketplace.

Methodis

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
What? License? The first game was called Frequency. The second game was called Amplitude. They could call the first Pi if they wanted, who cares? They don't have to buy anything from Sony to make a third entry in the series.

Sony owns the rights to the game engine.

Methodis

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
The X360 will definitely get big name songs for download (outside the GH1 pack). There are tons of songs that RO/Hmx already licensed and produced but didn't make the cut for GH1 or 2 for whatever reason. I wouldn't be too surprised if they popped up on the marketplace.

That's not true. :lol Harmonix would've stuck it on GH2. There is no songs that they have liscenced that aren't on there. They would have to go back to those big name record companies and get permission to use it again. I'm sure they'd rather spend all the money they have'd to spend on a new game instead of marketplace/ Sony Online place where they'll lose money.

Methodis said:
That's not true. :lol Harmonix would've stuck it on GH2. There is no songs that they have liscenced that aren't on there. They would have to go back to those big name record companies and get permission to use it again. I'm sure they'd rather spend all the money they have'd to spend on a new game instead of marketplace/ Sony Online place where they'll lose money.

fs-denial-bt.gif

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
As someone who served on the song selection commitee for Karaoke Revolution 3 and Karaoke Revolution Xbox, It's not denial - it's the truth. Only difference is that Karaoke Revolution was easier to get songs. Don't you think there would have been exclusive songs on the marketplace for Karaoke Revolution and Karaoke Revolution Party on Xbox? That's right there wasn't. There was a few on the actual disc of Karaoke Revolution but those where added to Karaoke Revolution on PS2 later. It's just not good business to release something that cost them alot of money on something onyl a few people can get.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
bune duggy said:
and Sword? never heard of 'em.

It's actually "The Sword", and their album "Age of Winters" rocks my face off on a continual basis. Check 'em out, all of you. Great band. (album available on iTunes)

what??? there was no marketplace for xbox ....the 360 has been the first console to utilze microtransactions effectivly so you can bet theyll do the same for the this game. also im pretty sure i read that there will be exclusive content for the 360 version

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Vyse The Legend said:

I expect the big songs to go beyond just the 360 marketplace though. I mean, they have a big, established userbase for PS2. I have a feeling those users wouldn't be too happy about 360 suddenly getting lots of popular songs while PS2 owners are left in the dust. That's why I hope they'll use a similar approach for PS3 in terms of downloadable songs and stuff.
Nothing against the 360, but I already own 2 guitar controllers for PS2 and really don't want to buy another one just for 360. Maybe they'll release an adapter though, but doesn't seem likely to me (at least not a proper, official one).

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
what??? there was no marketplace for xbox ....the 360 has been the first console to utilze microtransactions effectivly so you can bet theyll do the same for the this game. also im pretty sure i read that there will be exclusive content for the 360 version

:lol There was a marketplace on Xbox. Maybe not as fleshed out as on 360 but Karaoke Revolution and Karaoke Revolution Party, along with DDR UltraMix 1 and 2 had downloadable content. KR was songs from previous albums or songs on the PS2. Also you read there will be exclusive content, but it will likely be house bands or indie bands; not big name bands. It costs too much and not worth it to them. It costs about a couple grand to liscence a song.

Methodis said:
:lol There was a marketplace on Xbox. Maybe not as fleshed out as on 360 but Karaoke Revolution and Karaoke Revolution Party, along with DDR UltraMix 1 and 2 had downloadable content. KR was songs from previous albums or songs on the PS2. Also you read there will be exclusive content, but it will likely be house bands or indie bands; not big name bands. It costs too much and not worth it to them. It costs about a couple grand to liscence a song.

and charging a couple of bucks to half a million people is a couple million. so lets see a couple thousand<a couple million

believe what you want, ill mark this thread so in 6 months i can call you out on it

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
and charging a couple of bucks to half a million people is a couple million. so lets see a couple thousand<a couple million

Who say's Guitar Hero will sell a couple million on 360? Read: It won't. It didn't even sell that much on PS2. It's just not worth it whatsoever, plus we don't even know if Harmonix is developing the Xbox version.

Drakken

Methodis said:
Even so, who say's it will sell half a million on the Xbox 360? It didn't sell that much on PS2...

I'm pretty sure it passed 500K a little while ago. It's been selling very consistently, always in the top 20 or so each month.

Methodis

Banned
Drakken said:
I'm pretty sure it passed 500K a little while ago. It's been selling very consistently, always in the top 20 or so each month.

Yeah but it took a year for it to do it. It didn't sell 500k instantly, infact when it first came out, EyeToy:AntiGrav sold more than it.

Methodis said:

A couple of grand as in $2,000???

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Methodis said:
I think they get a percentage of copies sold so it could add up.
if it is a percentage then it is always less tha you take in...

argument logic am null

Methodis

Banned
scola said:
if it is a percentage then it is always less tha you take in...

argument logic am null

argument logic am not null.

It's what they get PLUS the liscencing fees. It adds up to ALOT. It's not like $100 to use the liscence for the whole game, it's more like $1000 per song. If they get 2 cents per copy, and 2 million sold thats $4,000. Times that by 40 bands...

Methodis said:
I think they get a percentage of copies sold so it could add up.

I don't know what bands you worked with but what I heard is that big name labels/artists were demanding anywhere from $100,000 to $500,000 per song, plus a 5% royalty...

Methodis

Banned
Amused_To_Death said:
I don't know what bands you worked with but what I heard is that big name labels/artists were demanding anywhere from $100,000 to $500,000 per song, plus a 5% royalty...

I was pulling figures out of my ass, so I used common easy numbers. It could very well be that much.

LOL so say they put out an expansion pack 5 songs....and like you said 2 million copies sell. they charge 10 bucks for it thats 20 million cbucks...and by your same logic even if it was 20,000 they have to pay per song to artists that would only be 100 grand

100k<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 20mil .....stop digging your hole deeper

M3wThr33

Banned
Most of the songs are really old. There's not enough big name RECENT bands like stuff you'd hear on today's radio stations.

Methodis

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
LOL so say they put out an expansion pack 5 songs....and like you said 2 million copies sell. they charge 10 bucks for it thats 20 million cbucks...and by your same logic even if it was 20,000 they have to pay per song to artists that would only be 100 grand

100k<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 20mil .....stop digging your hole deeper

Uhh that's if 2 million sold, which would NEVER EVER happen. At most it'd sell 100k copies over marketplace.

So, why are we bashing Harmonix in this thread?

Is it because MTV bought them, forcing their future track listings going to be nothing but overplayed mainstream crap?

Or is it because the song list is full of too many obscure tracks instead of the party-pleasing favorites you demand?

They can be too indie or not indie enough, but they can't be both. Make up your f.cking minds!

Methodis

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
So, why are we bashing Harmonix in this thread?

Is it because MTV bought them, forcing their future track listings going to be nothing but overplayed mainstream crap?

Or is it because the song list is full of too many obscure tracks instead of the party-pleasing favorites you demand?

Are they too indie or not indie enough? Make up your f.cking minds!

We're bashing Harmonix?!

The only thing regarding HMX I saw was that we wanted a Frequency 3.

Also MTV won't ruin anything. MTV co-produced GH1 and 2 I believe.

border

Compulsory licensing for most cover songs is like $1 per song per copy pressed, is it not? Obviously they're already getting better deals than that for GH2 (otherwise they'd be paying $40+ in licenses on every game sold). So if that's the kind of deal they can get for physical distribution, I fail to see why they can't charge $1-2 per song with digital distribution....I dunno if licensing laws carry over well to the online world though.

Top Bottom