• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players thread.

kingbean

Yeah, took awhile for me, too. There's still a stigma in baby-boomer guitar players that swear by only Gibson or Fender. I figure my Dad's one of those guys because he's never shown remote interest in the two PRS' I've owned.

Who really got Paul Reed Smith famous/recognized, btw...was it Carlos Santana or someone else? I know Santana helped push him as a reference to many veteran Gibson players in the late 80's. Sting, Mike Oldfield, and a few others had traded out their previous endorsements for PRS by 1990.

You'll find a better one than me. The newer models are coming down in price-going up in quality.

PRS got a lot of popularity in the early 2000s from a bunch of nu-metal bands too. I've played some pretty expensive guitars and PRS probably makes the best guitars IMO.
I might just bite the bullet and get one of the Korean models if I come into some money.

kingbean

This is my very primative recording station also a gaming pc lol.
oIGIq2p.jpg

eot

Banned
Ever play and get that feeling that the tempo feels super slow even though isn't? Today when I was playing everything just felt easier, I had no trouble picking fast (for me). Everything was just light.

kingbean

Ever play and get that feeling that the tempo feels super slow even though isn't? Today when I was playing everything just felt easier, I had no trouble picking fast (for me). Everything was just light.

Could be getting better, ya know.

kingbean

These aren't "new" tracks but it's me testing out my new amp tone and all 3 different guitars with the same settings.

Jackson with the Duncans are by far the most mellow and kinda even sounding.
The Ibanez is hotter with more bass. The Schecter with the EMGs cost the most and has the tightest most consistent sound between them but lacks the bass of the ibanez.

Also new guitar!

OAVXCaK.jpg

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
These aren't "new" tracks but it's me testing out my new amp tone and all 3 different guitars with the same settings.

Jackson with the Duncans are by far the most mellow and kinda even sounding.
The Ibanez is hotter with more bass. The Schecter with the EMGs cost the most and has the tightest most consistent sound between them but lacks the bass of the ibanez.

Also new guitar!

OAVXCaK.jpg

All of them sound really good

Kazza

My ascending and descending slurs are starting to come together (even if they still don't sound great). I'm hoping to finish off my beginner book by the end of the month.

DelireMan7

Any classical guitar players here?

Like many, the epidemic has given me much more time to practice. I bought a classical guitar a few years back, got to a basic beginner level, then left it at a friend's place for a few years (expected to be back to pick it up very quickly, but it ended up being a few years).

I've been going through Hal Leonard beginner book, spending an hour a day playing. Been making good, steady progress since the lockdown. Once I'm down with the book, I intend to subscribe to this guy's Patreon and get tabs for the various game covers he does. These are some of my favourites:

I'll probably start off with the Metroid one, as that seems relatively simple to play:

In the topic of Classical guitar covers of videogame I like Isac Saleh. The tabs are available for free in the description. In love with his Dark Souls cover.

kingbean

Bad bad bad terrible. I couldn't keep a beat or come up with good riffs, but fuck it.

I like the mixing though, that I think I did okay at.

Fret Runner

I'm nothing but a bedroom jammer an thought I'd give recording an sharing in this thread a go, since I've never shared anything guitar related before.

It sounds awful and I'm as rusty as nails in a old shed with mistakes everywhere but thought it would be fun to share for once lol Don't judge too harshly :messenger_hushed:

lock2k

Banned
I'm nothing but a bedroom jammer an thought I'd give recording an sharing in this thread a go, since I've never shared anything guitar related before.

It sounds awful and I'm as rusty as nails in a old shed with mistakes everywhere but thought it would be fun to share for once lol Don't judge too harshly :messenger_hushed:

Sounds cool to me :)

SirTerry-T

A Roland Microcube, Alpine white Vintage (the make, not the age) VS6, a decent SG copy, is enought to satisfy my urge for an Angus riff here and there.
Yamaha acoustic for my quiet, introspective moments and/or playing twee cover versions of 80's bangers in the vague hope I can make a fortune from their use in TV commercials.

That last bit is made up.

Last edited:

ESPOMAN

I just got the GH-600 and I really like it so far. It is my first guitar with a floyd rose so that is fun. I am trying to learn Eruption because I am bored and already learned Hot for teacher and Ain't Talkin bout love so I am on a bit of a Van Halen kick I guess.

SirTerry-T

Start by picking up a guitar. Doesn't have to be a tele. I started off with one of those guitars from Wal-Mart. Eventually earned enough money to buy better stuff.
As far as Tele's go, my pal's got one of the these, neither of us are fans of the band this guy plays for but this is a GREAT little signature guitar. Plays really nice. Discontinued now unfortunately but worth hunting down.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

As far as 4 strings go, one day I will convince my pal to part with this..

4sGuEv7.jpg

(not his actual guitar, but the same model, year, etc)

Made in Mexico "Cowpoke", Precision Bass, absolutely wonderful playing bass.
It's passed through the hands of a few local musicians around my area because there's something special about it that makes people want to record with it. It's got a very, very small warp in the neck, so maybe that's what give it it's special character?

Fret Runner

One of my fave Tunes from a overly hated album.
:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

It Was my first time messing about with audacity to record via a usb interface that I got awhile back, so it should sound better than my phone recording one atleast lol

lock2k

Banned
I really want a Fender or Squier Bass IV because as a fan of both guitar and bass I love the hybrid nature of it.

Fret Runner

Here’s what I’m rocking.
You’ll never guess what band I love. lol

hD3jk8u.jpg

nKyVuAd.jpg

Plus some cheap Ashton electro acoustic and a Aria Pro II Diamond series bass that a got together from some dude for 70 quid lol

I want to play more guitar style shit on a bass but im a retard with a plectrum.

Does anyone know of a 6 string bass, tuned to guitar that doesn't have a neck as wide as a pavement?

Not to be a dick about it, but why not just pick up a guitar?
I do have a guitar but I have fingers like a pigs tits and I cannot, no matter how many times i try, how many years I attempt it, I cannot use a plectrum. Fingers 4 lyf.

Plus, basses are just cooler and sound heavier, while sounding warmer, while having the versatility of sounding clean like a guitar. I just want two more strings so I can learn some more complex solo's.

Cliff Burtons stuff is a cool challenge, but tbh, I want to be able to play all of the guitar riffs, bass riffs and bass and guitar solos in a song. Being able to play Orion by Metallica on one instrument would be seckshual

I do have a guitar but I have fingers like a pigs tits and I cannot, no matter how many times i try, how many years I attempt it, I cannot use a plectrum. Fingers 4 lyf.

Plus, basses are just cooler and sound heavier, while sounding warmer, while having the versatility of sounding clean like a guitar. I just want two more strings so I can learn some more complex solo's.

Cliff Burtons stuff is a cool challenge, but tbh, I want to be able to play all of the guitar riffs, bass riffs and bass and guitar solos in a song. Being able to play Orion by Metallica on one instrument would be seckshual
Orion is one of the first songs I learned to play all the way through.

Orion is one of the first songs I learned to play all the way through.
I can only do the bass bits because im a 4 string pauper. Won't you do something amazing today? Donate strings for those in need.

Orion is the whole reason I want a cross-over bass. I can play the guitar solos and bass solos in one play-through. Dat end bass solo is perfection and heart-breaking knowing it's Cliffs' last solo he ever played and the penultimate one he every wrote ;(

I can only do the bass bits because im a 4 string pauper. Won't you do something amazing today? Donate strings for those in need.

Orion is the whole reason I want a cross-over bass. I can play the guitar solos and bass solos in one play-through. Dat end bass solo is perfection and heart-breaking knowing it's Cliffs' last solo he ever played and the penultimate one he every wrote ;(
Funny thing about that was it was years after buying MoP album that realized that was a bass solo.

Funny thing about that was it was years after buying MoP album that realized that was a bass solo.
Don't feel bad, my mates thought it was a guitar solo and played it on guitar and they even said "I can play it, it just doesn't sound right", then I showed it was for bass. I blew their minds even more when I showed them why Hetfield's guitar solo in To Live Is To Die was a Cliff solo

Dude was a freakin freak. His solos were actually solos and not just shredding random riffs super fast. They all had feel and warmth to them.

lock2k

Banned
Don't feel bad, my mates thought it was a guitar solo and played it on guitar and they even said "I can play it, it just doesn't sound right", then I showed it was for bass. I blew their minds even more when I showed them why Hetfield's guitar solo in To Live Is To Die was a Cliff solo

Dude was a freakin freak. His solos were actually solos and not just shredding random riffs super fast. They all had feel and warmth to them.
Cliff was insanely talented His approach to bass was melodic and agressive and he had so much taste in his delivery. A true beast!

Top Bottom