• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players thread.

GeekyDad

Went to a Guitar Center (hate these places) near where my youngest son currently lives. He wanted to buy his first guitar (Fender strat). After spending about a half hour with him, helping him try things and such, I wanted to give him some time without his old man to try the guitar he had his eye on, so he could get a better idea if it was truly a good fit. I made some excuse, and strolled off...

Ended up in the acoustic room, of course. Thankfully, most young guys don't give two shits about acoustics, so I was alone, and the room was almost soundproof. Mmm... ☺️

Then, in comes a young man. He's quiet, mindful, grabs a guitar. I've got my back toward him and a Taylor I had picked up. I had forgotten how amazingly rock-solid, reliable and consistent they are -- the quality of their sound. I've been playing a Larrivee for decades, and it's still the tone I prefer. But oh man, this Taylor was like a gorgeous blonde at the beach on the hottest day of summer. I'm pickin' away, and I begin to hear someone playing along. I don't want to be greedy with the airwaves, so I try to also be mindful, and lower my dynamic. His playing gets softer. I tested it out a couple of more times, and sure enough, this kid's playing along with me. And he's not trying to impress me with chops, he's just trying to have a moment with me. It only lasted a short time, but it was quite magical. We acknowledged each other after with warm regard, and parted ways. I met up with my son, he decided on that guitar and a Fender amp, and we were off...

Later that evening or the next day I kicked myself for not asking that kid for contact info, but then the thought occurred to me that perhaps it was just meant to be that: a magical moment.

It's the little things.

JCK75

Went to a Guitar Center (hate these places) near where my youngest son currently lives. He wanted to buy his first guitar (Fender strat). After spending about a half hour with him, helping him try things and such, I wanted to give him some time without his old man to try the guitar he had his eye on, so he could get a better idea if it was truly a good fit. I made some excuse, and strolled off...

Ended up in the acoustic room, of course. Thankfully, most young guys don't give two shits about acoustics, so I was alone, and the room was almost soundproof. Mmm... ☺️

Then, in comes a young man. He's quiet, mindful, grabs a guitar. I've got my back toward him and a Taylor I had picked up. I had forgotten how amazingly rock-solid, reliable and consistent they are -- the quality of their sound. I've been playing a Larrivee for decades, and it's still the tone I prefer. But oh man, this Taylor was like a gorgeous blonde at the beach on the hottest day of summer. I'm pickin' away, and I begin to hear someone playing along. I don't want to be greedy with the airwaves, so I try to also be mindful, and lower my dynamic. His playing gets softer. I tested it out a couple of more times, and sure enough, this kid's playing along with me. And he's not trying to impress me with chops, he's just trying to have a moment with me. It only lasted a short time, but it was quite magical. We acknowledged each other after with warm regard, and parted ways. I met up with my son, he decided on that guitar and a Fender amp, and we were off...

Later that evening or the next day I kicked myself for not asking that kid for contact info, but then the thought occurred to me that perhaps it was just meant to be that: a magical moment.

It's the little things.

After the divorce I treated myself to a new Acoustic/Elec and I went Taylor, it's incredible.

GeekyDad

So, it's been a while since I bought strings, but I don't feel like it's been that long. My wife usually picks them up for me, and she doesn't say anything about the cost. She put an extra set in my stocking over the holiday. I just looked at 'em, and the tag is still on them. Eighteen fucking dollars for Elixirs? Are you shittin' me!?

I remember them being a premium string for $8-9 a set. Now they're fucking $18!?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have such corroding sweat that strings sound dull after 30min anyway so I’m really taking my time changing them.

On a more positive note, since I’m kind of worn down from the grind at work I treated myself with a new Pedal to Loft up my spirits . Earth Quaker Devices Life Pedal. Hope it rocks.

GeekyDad

I have such corroding sweat that strings sound dull after 30min anyway so I’m really taking my time changing them.

On a more positive note, since I’m kind of worn down from the grind at work I treated myself with a new Pedal to Loft up my spirits . Earth Quaker Devices Life Pedal. Hope it rocks.
Are you wiping the strings after each use?

Kev Kev

This guy was my guitar teacher's guitar teacher and he is incredible. He's into jazz so he gets pretty deep on theory stuff, but I still think even novice guitar players can get some good info from here. If anything he's fun to watch play as he is amazing. He has a bunch of these master class videos on his page. Really good stuff...

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This guy was my guitar teacher's guitar teacher and he is incredible. He's into jazz so he gets pretty deep on theory stuff, but I still think even novice guitar players can get some good info from here. If anything he's fun to watch play as he is amazing. He has a bunch of these master class videos on his page. Really good stuff...

Very nice clean tone too. You have a hollow body single-cut too right Kev Kev Kev Kev ?

I've had a couple teachers since 1998 (when I started). Dave Gregory (Porcupine Hat, Tin Spirits, Big Big Train and XTC) has mentored me on and off since about 2013. I'm a piano player / guitarist and I've learned a lot from D.G. There are plenty of recent interviews with him online too but he's not playing. So to stay relevant to OP - I'll attach videos of him playing during the XTC era of the late-70's/early 80's. Video below (minutes 0 - 4) Dave told me this was at his former home in Swindon. He had a Realistic drum machine sitting on the music stand of the piano. The still owns that Rickenbacker and several others today (he purchased that one in 1980 but it was mail ordered and didn't arrive until late '81 when XTC was recording English Settlement). He told me that he sold the 'super powered' Schecter Telecaster.

Some of my favorite solos he played with XTC:

"Rocket solo"

"Reel solo live in Melbourne 1980"

Burt Macklin

Neo Member
Lapsed guitar and bass player that picked up both (!) at the same time again after 10 years. Also started vocal lessons as well. I’ve gone back and forth for years about getting back into it and listening to Ghost helped push me and get me back into it. I’ll have to try and get pics of my gear. Any good tips for either? I’ve always been into simple punk music so trying to branch out and learn new stuff is daunting at the moment

GeekyDad

Lapsed guitar and bass player that picked up both (!) at the same time again after 10 years. Also started vocal lessons as well. I’ve gone back and forth for years about getting back into it and listening to Ghost helped push me and get me back into it. I’ll have to try and get pics of my gear. Any good tips for either? I’ve always been into simple punk music so trying to branch out and learn new stuff is daunting at the moment
Well, if you enjoy simple punk, it will likely be more meaningful to just stick with what comes natural.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah it's a semi-hollow Ibanez GB10EM. It's the same one I'm playing in this video. I really like it, and it's a decent price too...

Always nice to hear these jazz bits. I've always enjoyed the tone of semi-hollow bodied guitars. Thanks for resharing this.

Burt Macklin

Neo Member
Well, if you enjoy simple punk, it will likely be more meaningful to just stick with what comes natural.
I still do but I’ve always been super particular with music and I’m in that branching out and discovery stage again. I have my roots in punk but I always like trying to incorporate other stuff in there as well

GeekyDad

I still do but I’ve always been super particular with music and I’m in that branching out and discovery stage again. I have my roots in punk but I always like trying to incorporate other stuff in there as well
That's even better! I've kind of been doing that my whole life, I'd say. In the last 20 or so years, I completely transitioned from a lead guitarist to a finger-style acoustic guitarist. I just follow my instincts, I guess. Glad I transitioned, though. I still throw in a lead guitar here and there when I'm multitracking, but mostly I just enjoy finger-style. I never thought it would come so easily and naturally. It feels natural. That's what's worked for me, anyway.

I've always felt inspired to just do whatever feels right. And age has also helped me to try and rein things in when necessary, with regards to expression. Though I love and appreciate technique, if it trumps human expression, I lose interest; I think, ultimately, deep down, most people do. It's necessary to have guys and girls who do focus on that, as technique is a necessary tool to execute certain expressions, but at some point, you then have to let go of the learning and use those tools to allow you to express yourself, the ultimate goal.

Of course, there are some, and they're usually the ones we consider the "masters," whose expression is the technique. And that's also wonderful.

/end of old-man rant ;)

Hey, hey. I just found this thread, I was this close to making a guitar thread.

I’ve been playing since about 1989-1990, but as soon as Teen Spirit broke when I was 14 I’ve been playing serious ever since.
Three, I mean four (damn) decades later, obviously my music taste has changed and I’m really into arpeggios and doing shit I’ve never thought I would be able to do.

This is my baby, I’ve had her since 1994.
MIJ, $550 at a guitar store in Clearwater, Fl called Thoroughbred. It ended up getting bought out by a Sam Ash, which is what it is now.

1iTFfxd.jpg

i posted in here before a year or two ago about trying to get back into guitar. it didn't work but i did take them out to give them a tune up. my gibson les paul junior has some buzzing on it :( maybe it's just the old shitty strings that i've never changed. the guitar has hardly been played in 5+ years so it can't be the frets worn down. the nut shouldn't be worn out either right? maybe it just needs a new set of strings and set up properly. i don't really want to spend money taking it to a shop.... yeah it'll be good to maintain its condition but i don't even play them anymore.

i have been thinking about selling all my guitars but i don't think i'll be able to bring myself to do it because they all have sentimental value to me.

do you have any tips for storing guitars long term? what should i be doing? both LP jrs are in cases and the strats don't have cases.

they are all in my cupboard where my clothes hang and i sometimes hang up clothes that are still a little damp to air dry so i'm worried that the moisture will go right into the guitars. some of them have chips/breaks so the wood is exposed from under the paint.

i was going to put them in the attic but that might be worse for them?

GeekyDad

i posted in here before a year or two ago about trying to get back into guitar. it didn't work but i did take them out to give them a tune up. my gibson les paul junior has some buzzing on it :( maybe it's just the old shitty strings that i've never changed. the guitar has hardly been played in 5+ years so it can't be the frets worn down. the nut shouldn't be worn out either right? maybe it just needs a new set of strings and set up properly. i don't really want to spend money taking it to a shop.... yeah it'll be good to maintain its condition but i don't even play them anymore.

i have been thinking about selling all my guitars but i don't think i'll be able to bring myself to do it because they all have sentimental value to me.

do you have any tips for storing guitars long term? what should i be doing? both LP jrs are in cases and the strats don't have cases.

they are all in my cupboard where my clothes hang and i sometimes hang up clothes that are still a little damp to air dry so i'm worried that the moisture will go right into the guitars. some of them have chips/breaks so the wood is exposed from under the paint.

i was going to put them in the attic but that might be worse for them?
Buzzing like that is action-related. I never owned a Junior, but I did own an American-made Les Paul. The bridge should have adjustable torque mechanisms you should be able to easily adjust. Probably wanna loosen your strings whilst doing that. But take a look at the spacing between the strings and the frets. Look all the way up and down the neck, so you can determine whether or not there's any bowing in the neck. If the strings are close at the headstock and close near the body but there's some noticeable distance in the middle, that's a good indication. For that, you'll need to adjust the truss rod inside of the neck. That's also pretty easy. If memory serves, Gibson simply covers the access point with a decorative piece of plastic. Remove that and use a correct-sized Allen wrench to adjust. BE VERY MINDFUL and go slow when doing so, making only minor adjustments before re-checking.

As for storage, you'll want to keep a damp sponge in a ziplock bag that has holes in it. It's wood, so it requires regular intake of moisture. Check on it at least weekly and re-dampen the sponge as needed.

The Skull

I recently had a clear out of some stuff I had in storage and came across a 2005 limited edition Epiphone Les Paul custom chrome. Just finished cleaning it up and not looking too bad for the age. My main axe is a Fender American Original Jazzmaster which I chucked a mastery bridge on.
WW2rkjk.jpg
TvBKMmi.jpg

GeekyDad

...My main axe is a Fender American Original Jazzmaster which I chucked a mastery bridge on. ...
TvBKMmi.jpg
Worship GIF

Gorgeous.

Take good care of that girl. When I went into the GC with my kid a while back, the prices for American-made guitars have gone insane. I paid $950 for my cherrywood Les Paul about 20 or so years ago. It had been a while, obviously, since I'd shopped for guitars, but holy crap. I think something like that would probably be in the $3-4k range now. Ooph...

The neck on your Fender looks so sweet and well-maintained. Very nice work.

Winter John

Gold Member
Bit of a long shot considering I had to search for this thread but I was wondering if anyone had a J Mascis Jazzmaster. I been thinking about getting one, but from what I hear about Squier they need a lot of setting up out the box. I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle or if I should just save myself the potential headache and get a Fender

Top Bottom