• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Been playinng this while in Tokyo along with Dissidia. These game are pretty fun and easy to learn, but with some definite strategy in them. Just wish they came out on PC, since I don't want to buy a ps4

I just want to know what the preorder/DLC situation is in EU, are we gonna get Hot Scramble at all? Bamco hasn't said -anything-

If there's no preorder bonus at all i'd rather get it when i visit the UK next week, it's only 35gbp there compared to 60 euro here.

It would be great if they explained how they will release the DLC over here for better or worse. The best case is character packs or even a season pass. The worst case is do the same way how it is in Japan with individual DLC which will get fucking expensive. I really hope that Bandai Namco does the right thing and do the former because piece meal DLC in the West is typically hated upon.

JKTrix

I'd say you could learn well enough with almost any unit. I'd probably only strictly avoid Epyon (no range), Guntank and maybe Tallgeese 1 (weird movement) if you're just starting out.

For a baseline I'd recommend a 400 or 500 cost unit that has a beam rifle. If you stick with 400/500 and a Various or Various-S type you should be good to go. With other types (Fighting, Various-F, Shooting) and lower costs, you're more likely to come across more unique types that have different main weapons like machine guns and bazookas and rocks. Learn with a beam rifle user first, they're the standard archetype for the game.

For speciffic recommendations, Sinanju in 500, Freedom or Original Gundam in 400 are pretty straightforward suits without many gimmicks to think about.

It would be great if they explained how they will release the DLC over here for better or worse. The best case is character packs or even a season pass. The worst case is do the same way how it is in Japan with individual DLC which will get fucking expensive. I really hope that Bandai Namco does the right thing and do the former because piece meal DLC in the West is typically hated upon.

I was ready to pick up the ENG copy on release but I'll wait till it drops if the DLC is fucking piecemeal. That shit should not fly anywhere and really burns the bridges.

Say, didn't an update arrive today? What was inside?

DunpealD

I was ready to pick up the ENG copy on release but I'll wait till it drops if the DLC is fucking piecemeal. That shit should not fly anywhere and really burns the bridges.

Say, didn't an update arrive today? What was inside?

When counting the amount of dlc units, Gundam Versus is putting every other fighting game to shame. Even Injustice 2 got like 9 for 40 bucks, got an earlier release than Gundam Versus and is already behind in numbers.

About the patch. Looks like balance updates. 1v1 added to player match, 1 new stage and 2 daytime variations added.

Patchnotes seem to be out for a little bit already.

EDIT: Is Hot Scramble still preorder only? Holy shit if it stays preorder only.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone who thinks a worldwide game is gonna have DLC priced differently across regions, I've got a bridge to sell you. Why would I buy JP DLC when I could buy it way cheaper in the US?

Shun

But this is normal for the series, when it was on PS3.

EX-S was preorder bonus until about a year or so later after a The Best release.

DLC has always been sold in packs months to a year later during campaign periods.

You are realistically not going to play or buy every single piece of DLC, unless you host events for Gundam Versus and in that case you usually have machines specifically for it to be game shared. Or people are going to be playing Maxi Boost On instead.

The price is fair they offer more with strikers and navi than previously at the same or similar price. They will do DLC on sale or in a pack probably next summer, as they usually do.

Anyone who thinks a worldwide game is gonna have DLC priced differently across regions, I've got a bridge to sell you. Why would I buy JP DLC when I could buy it way cheaper in the US?

DLC is usually regionlocked, right? As in, the JP game would only work with JP DLC.

Bebpo

Banned
DLC is usually regionlocked, right? As in, the JP game would only work with JP DLC.

Yeah, but if the DLC is substantially cheaper, most hardcore Japan players who buy the DLC would just rebuy it on the US store since the servers are worldwide and get US DLC.

The price is fair they offer more with strikers and navi than previously at the same or similar price. They will do DLC on sale or in a pack probably next summer, as they usually do.

The price is not fair, even with the strikers.

Game is what, 7000 yen? at 600yen a unit, that means it should have 12 units total + strikers. Instead the game has 90 units + strikers for 7000yen. Yeah, DLC is always more expensive than the base game, but it's way too expensive here.

They probably think well people are only going to buy a couple of units they like, so sales will be really low and might as well charge high. But people would buy more units if there were more affordable.

I originally was gonna buy all the DLC since I like the series and some of these units are cool. Turns out I haven't bought a single unit DLC. I just can't bring myself to pulling the trigger and paying 600 yen for a unit I'll use a couple of times most likely. If they were 200-300 yen or in sets of 5 units for 1500yen I'd be more on board. As is I'll just wait and see.

Shun

The price is the same as unique units in Full Boost, it is cheaper or the same price than other DLC characters for other competitive games as a product with licensing agreements to get certain robots added, along with music and other extras.

There is no unnecessary cloned robots for ¥400, we get mostly brand new units for each release so far.

The cost of admission is competitive to what other add content is priced at, which is usually ~¥800-¥900 per licensed character.

The DLC goes on sale a couple times a year after the initial period of release anyway.

DunpealD

The price is the same as unique units in Full Boost, it is cheaper or the same price than other DLC characters for other competitive games as a product with licensing agreements to get certain robots added, along with music and other extras.

The last time I checked it wasn't 602 + tax, but 476 + tax for Full Boost unique units.

Also Gundam Versus makes shit like the DoA5 93 bucks seasons passes look fair, because at least they are not gameplay related. Comparing to other gameplay related dlc in other fighting games, it makes others look cheap instead due to the sheer volume. It's only been 3 months since the release. I wonder how people will react when they get the western Version at launch and are looking at 8 DLC units ready to be bought after investing the initial 60.

Also while I have nothing against the base roster and the grunt units, others do. Especially when a lot Full Boost units are missing.

RRockman

Banned
Does anyone know if The Gundam AGE DLC comes with the song "asu e"? This decidesite wether or not I buy the Japanese version.

DunpealD

uhh, regional pricing is quite common

I think what he means is, that you shouldn't expect big differences in pricing across regions. I.e. those who think that the pricing will be like 3$ per unit instead of 650 yen(about 6$) shouldn't get their hopes up.

Pengu

Neo Member
I bought the english version since it's only going to cost me ~$40 but I'm not trying to wait for the english to play catch up dlc wise. Why'd nightingale have to come out this week?

When counting the amount of dlc units, Gundam Versus is putting every other fighting game to shame. Even Injustice 2 got like 9 for 40 bucks, got an earlier release than Gundam Versus and is already behind in numbers.

About the patch. Looks like balance updates. 1v1 added to player match, 1 new stage and 2 daytime variations added.

Patchnotes seem to be out for a little bit already.

EDIT: Is Hot Scramble still preorder only? Holy shit if it stays preorder only.

Fucking hell you can only get HS through preorder? A high tier suit through a fucking preorder gate?

Was ExS ever made available at all?

The last time I checked it wasn't 602 + tax, but 476 + tax for Full Boost unique units.

Also Gundam Versus makes shit like the DoA5 93 bucks seasons passes look fair, because at least they are not gameplay related. Comparing to other gameplay related dlc in other fighting games, it makes others look cheap instead due to the sheer volume. It's only been 3 months since the release. I wonder how people will react when they get the western Version at launch and are looking at 8 DLC units ready to be bought after investing the initial 60.

Also while I have nothing against the base roster and the grunt units, others do. Especially when a lot Full Boost units are missing.

Volume is the biggest problem. It's absolutely ridiculous that there isn't some sort of a pack or discount for buying in bulk.

DunpealD

Fucking hell you can only get HS through preorder? A high tier suit through a fucking preorder gate?

Was ExS ever made available at all?

EX-S was preorder bonus until about a year or so later after a The Best release.

I think it was free even. Though BN is known for their preorder DLC shenanigans. Goku Black in Xenoverse 2 was only available through preorder. So far I haven't seen any news that he became available outside of it.

Volume is the biggest problem. It's absolutely ridiculous that there isn't some sort of a pack or discount for buying in bulk.

DLC has always been sold in packs months to a year later during campaign periods.

You are realistically not going to play or buy every single piece of DLC, unless you host events for Gundam Versus and in that case you usually have machines specifically for it to be game shared. Or people are going to be playing Maxi Boost On instead.

There you have it. So either you're not supposed to get all DLC, hope for a probable limited time bulk sales packs or go and play Maxi Boost On, since the latter is a worldwide widely available option.

To be fair, MB would have gotten the same DLC treatment probably lol

But it's still ridiculous that NB won't just sell this stuff in season passes or something that benefits the consumer.

I think it was free even. Though BN is known for their preorder DLC shenanigans. Goku Black in Xenoverse 2 was only available through preorder. So far I haven't seen any news that he became available outside of it.

There you have it. So either you're not supposed to get all DLC, hope for a probable limited time bulk sales packs or go and play Maxi Boost On, since the latter is a worldwide widely available option.

In terms of "not playing all of the characters" - that's bunk. Tons of people, like me, gotta have the whole cast. And owning a complete game entails just that. Also, let's say G Gundam hits - even if I wasn't messing with an entire cast, I'd for sure want to have every G Gundam tbh. You can't tell the consumer "hey, you probably won't be buying this" because that's not true for most of the hardcore audience.

The least they could do is throw it in a pack. That's not even asking that much. Plus what do you expect tournaments and locals to do?

(Not saying you were saying this, just addressing that complaint)

The End

Insanely pumped for this on Friday.

And yeah, DLC pricing is a bit of a ripoff, but they're targeting it more at people like me (who will buy a few units, but dgaf about random grunt suits) and are more than happy for whales like you to spend $90 on dlc. I'm not thrilled by it, but it's no worse than average in the industry.

100% preordered to get HS/BL/Virtue though.

dwix

Insanely pumped for this on Friday.

And yeah, DLC pricing is a bit of a ripoff, but they're targeting it more at people like me (who will buy a few units, but dgaf about random grunt suits) and are more than happy for whales like you to spend $90 on dlc. I'm not thrilled by it, but it's no worse than average in the industry.

100% preordered to get HS/BL/Virtue though.

Pretty much this. Looking forward to playing but I have wedding travel this weekend :( Hope to get in on the GundamGAF rooms at some point.

is there going to be a new OT for the US release?

I was wondering this as well.

Should there be? If there was, how much different would it be considering it hasn’t been that long since the game released in Japan and outside of what the DLC schedule might be, mechanically the game is the same.
Maybe a mod adjusted title change to reflect the NA (and EU I presume?) release to make the thread more inclusive?

Maybe a mod adjusted title change to reflect the NA (and EU I presume?) release to make the thread more inclusive?
That's what "The World" subtitle is for. There's even references to the western release in the OT as it was made to accommodate those that were waiting. I mean, a mod could always add "(now out in NA/EU)" like the Stardew Valley OT kinda has.

On another note, Phantom Gundam is neat. Feels a bit slower than expected, but the MA > triple shot is nice.

That's what "The World" subtitle is for. There's even references to the western release in the OT as it was made to accommodate those that were waiting. I mean, a mod could always add "(now out in NA/EU)" like the Stardew Valley OT kinda has.

On another note, Phantom Gundam is neat. Feels a bit slower than expected, but the MA > triple shot is nice.
Yeah, I think the "out now" with the date and regions could raise some eyebrows for people on the fence or who typically ignore the thread because it's not their thing. But some kind of new buzz could help the life of the game/thread a bit otherwise everyone's just talking to the largely same crowd lol.

Clearos

Glad I looked at this thread and watched a few videos. I was hunting for gundam breaker 3 but after seeing this...im going vs.

Let's be honest I'll get breaker in due time.

dwix

Yeah, I think the "out now" with the date and regions could raise some eyebrows for people on the fence or who typically ignore the thread because it's not their thing. But some kind of new buzz could help the life of the game/thread a bit otherwise everyone's just talking to the largely same crowd lol.

Agreed. Perhaps something like: Gundam Versus |OT| Now Accepting NA/EU-types...

I'll show myself out.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Well, I'm pretty sure Bamco is quite thankful that Capcpom already paved the way for that with MvCI.

To be fair, MB would have gotten the same DLC treatment probably lol

But it's still ridiculous that NB won't just sell this stuff in season passes or something that benefits the consumer.

In terms of "not playing all of the characters" - that's bunk. Tons of people, like me, gotta have the whole cast. And owning a complete game entails just that. Also, let's say G Gundam hits - even if I wasn't messing with an entire cast, I'd for sure want to have every G Gundam tbh. You can't tell the consumer "hey, you probably won't be buying this" because that's not true for most of the hardcore audience.

The least they could do is throw it in a pack. That's not even asking that much. Plus what do you expect tournaments and locals to do?

(Not saying you were saying this, just addressing that complaint)
Scamco gonna Scamco.
To be fair, they ended up releasing packs of units after a while for both EXVS vanilla and EXVSFB
where you'd save like a dollar but still!

I had bought all units by that point though
NO RAGRETS

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I assume all vocal tracks will be not in this version but in anime soundtracks such as battle themes will. Plus Into the Sky was only in the Premium version in Japan.

Welp looks like I'm getting the the premium version.

Top Bottom