• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Fieri brings barbecue smoker to Santa Rosa fire evacuation center

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment wasn't about this, I just really hate guy fieri. good on him for helping out. People being pissed about the smoker are just looking to be outraged. I'm not in the least bit upset about him using a smoker. I just think the guy is a piece of shit douchebag opportunist in general.

watershed

Banned
It would certainly be better to coordinate with shelters and other services already set up to feed people who have been displaced by the wild fires. I don't doubt his good intentions at all and it is a great thing to feed hungry people, but the more sustainable route would be to cook and distribute food through the organizations that already know what they're doing, are already on the ground, and would benefit from the additional support.

Ferrio

Banned
It would certainly be better to coordinate with shelters and other services already set up to feed people who have been displaced by the wild fires. I don't doubt his good intentions at all and it is a great thing to feed hungry people, but the more sustainable route would be to cook and distribute food through the organizations that already know what they're doing, are already on the ground, and would benefit from the additional support.

Hungry people don't care about bureaucracy, they just want to be fed. Also who's not to say that isn't already happening? They're not mutually exclusive.

mAcOdIn

It says in the article that he did call first and they said "bring it."

watershed

Banned
Hungry people don't care about bureaucracy, they just want to be fed. Also who's not to say that isn't already happening? They're not mutually exclusive.
It's not about bureaucracy, it's about coordinated, sustainable efforts.

It says in the article that he did call first and they said "bring it."
I didn't see that in the OP. My impression from the quotes was that there was no coordinated effort between him and other services. If he was speaking with other parties already involved then nevermind my initial comment.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's not the most practical route but there's a morale boosting element to this. And of course, there's a self promotion element to this as well.

In the end, I think it's still a positive. Maybe it might even inspire more people to help out.

My take away from all this is: As terrible as these fires are, the fact that they happen in California is in a weird way a huge blessing! Look at all these celebrities and rich businesses reaching out to help...

Fieri was certainly not the first in the food industry to arrive to the shelter. For the past four days, chefs and restaurant owners all over Sonoma County — including Dustin Valette in Healdsburg, Daniel Kedan and Marianna Gardenhire in Forestville, Mark and Terri Stark in Santa Rosa, Duskie Estes and John Stewart in Sebastopol and many, many others — have assisted at shelters and cooked truckloads of free food for first responders to augment Salvation Army and Red Cross efforts.

You think there be any fancy restaurant caterers and celebs would show up to help if say... North Platte, Nebraska was on fire?

It's not about bureaucracy, it's about coordinated, sustainable efforts.

I didn't see that in the OP. My impression from the quotes was that there was no coordinated effort between him and other services. If he was speaking with other parties already involved then nevermind my initial comment.

not to pile on or anything, but I read the full article and it's in the second paragraph...
”So I called the Salvation Army in Santa Rosa and I said, ‘I'm ready, I've got an army, I'm ready to help,'" Fieri said. ”And they said, ‘Bring it.'"

Honestly the article itself isn't trashing Fieri much, just pointing out the internet and twitter outrage!! While asking him what he thinks about it!

Sarye

Guy Fieri is actually a good dude who does a lot of charity work. I don't like his shows, but I never see someone get so much unwarranted hate.

Mahonay

Banned
He's directly feeding people in need which is a lot more than the people nitpicking at this can say. Fuck off, really. I find him obnoxious but that doesn't stop me from recognizing a good deed. Dude does a lot of charity in general.

dsp

My take away from all this is: As terrible as these fires are, the fact that they happen in California is in a weird way a huge blessing! Look at all these celebrities and rich businesses reaching out to help...

You think there be any fancy restaurant caterers and celebs would show up to help if say... North Platte, Nebraska was on fire?

Is this sarcasm?

Why would it be? California has a lot more wealthy, able and willing (charitable) organizations to come out and help during crisis than most other US states, you don't agree?
Because it's demonstrably based on a ridiculous and easily disproved premise - that somehow tragedies in other states don't have incredible responses as well. Read some shit.

ThisGuy

Guy Fieri is great. People usually come off as assholes or snobs when they criticize him. Dumbasses at best.

Out of respect, no flames should be used in cooking for the duration of the disaster.

You made me laugh out loud hard.

This is ridiculous, it's a BIT cringy at most, but no reason to be outraged. He could have figured out how to cook with water instead though, as respect to the families.

This is infuriating to me. I dont really know or give a damn who this man is, the point is he is out there helping people. And this is the thanks you're going to give him? It does not matter if he is ONLY doing it for promotion either. The fact remains he is helping people.

So irritating to read garbage like this.

Trace

Banned
I hate it when Guy Fieri feeds people during a disaster.

Almost as bad as giving out water during a flood or having AC on after a tornado.

For shame, I thought the Mayor of Flavor Town was better than this.

Well that depends, are there fancy restaurant caterers and celebs that live in or near North Platte Nebraska?

Because it's demonstrably based on a ridiculous and easily disproved premise - that somehow tragedies in other states don't have incredible responses as well. Read some shit.

I don't think I am wrong when I assume there are a lot more renowned restaurants/chefs, rich celebs willing to throw a bone to help locals in need, per square mile in (Southern)
California than most other fly over states. I know my geography and I've read some shit!

Well that depends, are there fancy restaurant caterers and celebs that live in or near North Platte Nebraska?
I don't know much about North Platte ( to be honest) just wanted to pick a random Mid Western State! So.. NE. But to answer your question, no, no there isn't.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The journalisr who wrote this can go fuck himself. Wtf, he's a victim and trying to help fellow victim by making a bbq

I saw Guy Fieri at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I hateeee you lmao

My comment wasn't about this, I just really hate guy fieri. good on him for helping out. People being pissed about the smoker are just looking to be outraged. I'm not in the least bit upset about him using a smoker. I just think the guy is a piece of shit douchebag opportunist in general.

Did he ghost you after a Tinder date or something?

smurfx

get some go again
how the hell is this a controversy? oh no adding bbq smoke which is nothing compared to what the actual fire is creating. people overreact way too much about appearances.

mr2xxx

Banned
Even if that were true, and for all I know it could be, uh, so what? Are we going to implement a charitable purity test now and start refusing aid or donations from people who don't meet our lofty standards of selflessness?

We do to a certain degree, no one is blaming USC film school for not accepting a 5 million dollar donation from Harvey Weinstein or the NAACP from accepting a donation from Donald Sterling. I'm not lumping Guy in with those two since he's done nothing close to those two to deserve any backlash with helping others.

Neith

Banned
I mean, I could see the argument if the whole time he was blaring Rage's "Sleep now in the fire" or something.

Dude is just helping the community by feeding people, lay off him.

Holy shit I'm not sure how I would feel about. Free barbecue with Rage playing while my house burns down. Jesus.

I guess if I got everything I needed out of the house, no one hurt, and whatever it might be okay. But I'll take just barbecue too.

I can't fault the guy here. I mean people need to stop being fucking offended by everything.

Not the guy's biggest fan at all, but there is nothing wrong here. Apparently, the people eating the food are okay with this too.

This is a bunch of dickheads on social media trying to start shit, and most of them are not even in the line of fire I bet.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see.
It’s crazy here everyone is trying to help in their own little way.

Guy is doing good work. bbq optics aside, a smoker with a shitton of bbq meat is a pretty damn efficient way of feeding alot of people. good on him for actually getting out there and helping.

I saw Guy Fieri at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Thanks for the laugh, I got through half of it before realizing what it was

Zukkoyaki

Thank goodness we have the chest-pounding, righteous knights of the internet to save us from celebrity chefs feeding people during a disaster. What would we do without them?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is mostly people being outraged about some outrage and yelling at imaginary people they're angry at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom