• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Fieri brings barbecue smoker to Santa Rosa fire evacuation center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

The dude brought what he has. He has a mobile smoker, he brought a smoker.

Complaints about this reek of slacktivism tbh. You do what you can in the real world.

edited my post. was just joking, Hes a good Guy.

Guy threads are my flavorite threads.

gYDK0Ee.gif

Can I get a number on the 'tone-deaf' scale, is this a 2/5?

I'd give it a 1 ticket to tone-deaf town out of 10

Lexad

I guarantee that not a single person who received food from him was offended. If I lost my home to a fire I would gladly welcome a mobile smoker unit providing bbq meats for me and my family. I am also a Texan so that helps. Not everything has to be an issue where someone gets offended.

Guy Fieri is tacky but he seems like a decent dude; on that Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show (or whatever it's called), he comes off as an okay guy who is genuinely interested in cool comfort food. I think the intentions here are good even if the optics are a little wonky; I'm sure the folks getting free food are cool with it and that it brightened up their day in the face of a shitty situation.

Raven117

I just keep coming back to this....Who are these terrible people giving Guy are hard time? Fuck all man. Its like people are just waiting to pick people apart. He is out there trying to feed hungry people whos lives just literally went up in smoke.

In crisis like this, feeding that many people is real difficult. You can't just have granny make the meatloaf...you can't feed that many folks volunteers and refugees alike (if they are under the care of say the Red Cross) as that food as to be prepared in the proper commercial kitchens to ensure safety. Just imagine all those people getting sick. It has to be pretty strict.

Now, you have a dude who has a small army that can cater, has all the licenses, and can sling some decent food at some folks....But noooo...fuck him..insensitive douche bag.

I tell ya....I know our entire country is wallowing around in the sewer right now due to current leadership, but America is not all bad. There are many good people that want to do good things.

We have become so fixated on the bad in this country, we have completely forgotten the good.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I hate how people always call Guy Fieri a douchebag. Yeah he dresses weird and has an odd personality, but he's not hurting anyone.

I just keep coming back to this....Who are these terrible people giving Guy are hard time? Fuck all man. Its like people are just waiting to pick people apart. He is out there trying to feed hungry people whos lives just literally went up in smoke.

In crisis like this, feeding that many people is real difficult. You can't just have granny make the meatloaf...you can't feed that many folks volunteers and refugees alike (if they are under the care of say the Red Cross) as that food as to be prepared in the proper commercial kitchens to ensure safety. Just imagine all those people getting sick. It has to be pretty strict.

Now, you have a dude who has a small army that can cater, has all the licenses, and can sling some decent food at some folks....But noooo...fuck him..insensitive douche bag.

I tell ya....I know our entire country is wallowing around in the sewer right now due to current leadership, but America is not all bad. There are many good people that want to do good things.

We have become so fixated on the bad in this country, we have completely forgotten the good.

GAF needs Upvote buttons, This is a good post!

This:

Plus this:

Complaints about this reek of slacktivism tbh. You do what you can in the real world.

Plus the whole "Perfect is the enemy of Good" thing that has been said a bunch lately.

Seriously.

Aselith

Haven't seen anyone being offended or outraged, is it even a thing?

Well, at least in the news story the reporter directly forces him to answer to the outrage so either the reporter is an asshole that made him feel bad about helping people for nothing or, yeah, there's been criticism.

Is there some legitimate reason people generally dislike him or is just the flamboyant personality? I remember being a little off-put by him when I younger but I watch some of his shows here and there and he just seems like he's a dude having a good time.

Chococat

For the defenders out there

Some of the worst air quality the bay area has ever seen, so other than barbecuing for fire victims, its still a slightly tone-deaf move.

Nope, it is more tone deaf to complain about a method of cooking that is feeding displaced people. People are giving their time, expertise, money, and supplies to help out strangers in a crisis. People are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

All the rescue vehicles are adding to the bad air quality too. Should we stop using those too?

Edit: fixed comical misspelling of tone deaf.

Sanjuro

Is there some legitimate reason people generally dislike him or is just the flamboyant personality? I remember being a little off-put by him when I younger but I watch some of his shows here and there and he just seems like he's a dude having a good time.

Flavortown likely killed at least one of your relatives.

otapnam

Yeah. Guy fieri ain't perfect but a) he's from the area and b) he can help feed alot of people.

Gotta chill on the hate it's way beyond that at this point in norcal

Nowise10

Twitter was such a much.

Or maybe social media. I'll go with social media as a whole.

or maybe people are the real mistake

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's one food that he gets really twisted about. I can't remember what but it's like a regular vegetable and he turns into a food baby about it.

Edit.

EGGS!

Wtf

Apathy

Nothing here was with to get worked up over. He's doing a good thing, albeit also good publicity, but that aside, people got fed.

Outrage or faux outrage to make people look bad makes getting outraged over real issues lose some strength.

mAcOdIn

I'm failing to see the issue here too.

The article says he fed around 1200 people in one go so, it seems the people on the ground like it, and it mentions his operation may take over from the volunteers inside which again, kinda implies that people are going and eating there, so, if the people there aren't offended and the main aim of feeding displaced people and volunteers is being done what the fuck is the problem?

And bitching about air quality, lol, who cares if the extra smoke comes from his smoker in plain sight, is hidden at other volunteers cooking stuff in advance at their homes with natural gas or what, it's ridiculous.

VariantX

People are in dire need, and this dude steps in to help since he has the resources and people available to do so. I literally don't see the problem here.

mAcOdIn

People are in dire need, and this dude steps in to help since he has the resources and people available to do so. I literally don't see the problem here.
No, see the tragedy is a fire so it's tone deaf to cook things with heat or fire so they should all be fed with nuts and salads. Duh.

Sumidor

There was a claim by an old producer of his show, that he was homophobic a few years ago. I’ve heard from people that he was pretty nice to them when he filmed at their restaurants though. Personally, I just find him annoying, but I also think most food network personalities are awful.

HoodWinked

you can either spend your own time and thousands of dollars to organize an event to feed people and be labeled a douche

or you can write an article about how this guy dares to cook food with a smoker and have all the arm chair environmentalists weigh in on him and be labeled heroes for pointing it out while contributing nothing of tangible value.

I swear there are people who spend their entire lives sitting around waiting for something to be outraged at from the comfort of their own home so they can feel like they accomplished something that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom