• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Fieri brings barbecue smoker to Santa Rosa fire evacuation center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengetsu

This world is so negative it hurts. Guy is out their doing something great for those victims and all people can do is find a nit pick to make him look bad or insensitive. I'm happy to see anything positive in these bleeker days. Good on him.

How does he still think that hair is cool? Damn...

He has that hair and wears those shirts for the same reason Bob Ross had that damn fro. It's not about whether you like it or not, it's about cultivating a personality that has been created.

He did an interview on hot ones where he noted that people will literally just send him bowling shirts because he wore one like once and now he constantly wears them on TV.

Look I've never even remotely experienced a personal tragedy like the people in California are dealing with right now.

But if I had just lost my house, my things, potentially a loved one, and someone wanted to give me a giant plate of delicious BBQ I am not going to complain.

I don't know much about Guy Fieri, but after seeing this segment on John Oliver's show, I actually think he seems like a decent fella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CtLCarYuE

His appearance on Hot Ones was pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRc1_CATfo

louiedog

He has that hair and wears those shirts for the same reason Bob Ross had that damn fro. It's not about whether you like it or not, it's about cultivating a personality that has been created.

He did an interview on hot ones where he noted that people will literally just send him bowling shirts because he wore one like once and now he constantly wears them on TV.

They're just excited to clean out their closets from the late 90s when those shirts were a mini-fad.

There is no reason to be offended here. I can't even see how people "could see" how others might be offended.

This is like complaining about transporting car crash victims to the hospital in another vehicle. It's offensive that an ambulance would make someone that was just in an accident relive the terrifying experience of being in a vehicle!

STFU internet. The optics are making you look bad. Not someone feeding thousands of people in need of food.

Ocara

Im not a fan of his but he seems like hes doing a genuinely good thing here. Does everything need to be turned into drama? Sometimes people you dont like can do good things.

People want to be negative about everything. I'm not a big fan of Fieri, but I respect him for feeding people in need. I've had to evacuate from my home due to wild fires in the past and let me tell you, something as simple as a meal can mean a lot.

MJPIA

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7519783-181/fieri-fires-up-the-grill
Delighted to receive the offer of help from Fieri, the Salvation Army’s Goodwin replied that real food was needed at the evacuation centers in Santa Rosa. Fieri, one of the country’s best-known chefs, got on the phone. He asked buddies, fellow chefs and people he works with, or used to work with, to come help him feed people displaced by or responding to the fires in and near Santa Rosa. They grabbed their aprons.

“I’ve got my attorney here,” Fieri said, glancing about the crew that worked the grand barbecue trailer, two smokers and the preparation tables. “I’ve got ex Johnny Garlic’s (restaurant) employees. I’ve got my best friend. A high school friend’s wife. My mortgage broker, you name it.”

Fieri reached out also to friend Paul Thompson of Windsor’s Low Voltage Security. Thompson provided pop-up tents and other hardware for the emergency food station.

Cesar Orozco of Sonoma County Catering Co. came with a crew. And also Richard Bacchi, whose Gorilla Barbecue restaurant in Pacifica was featured on Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.”
Fieri suggested the nonprofit, Modesitt and he combine forces to produce plentiful, high-quality meals for people at Santa Rosa’s evacuation centers and for first responders. Operation BBQ Relief solicits donations to cover its costs. Fieri will pay for at least his part of the feeding mission.

“We’ll sort it out someday, if it needs to be sorted out,” he said.

The partners’ menu for lunch Thursday was pulled pork, coleslaw, mac and cheese, and garlic bread. It was delivered by the Salvation Army to more than 1,000 evacuees and volunteers at the shelter at the county fairgrounds immediately south of the vets’ building and the Finley Community Center on West College Avenue.
The plan for that evening was to have dinner for more than 2,000 people ready at 6 p.m. Fieri said that within days he expects that he, Operation BBQ Relief and the other grill partners to be feeding 5,000 victims, volunteers, first responders and members of the National Guard at a time. He said he’ll stay on as long as his help is needed.

What was on the TV personality’s busy schedule for him to be doing while his town and county struggled with the historic devastation deal by firestorms?

“I forget,” he said. “It can’t be that important.”
He goes all in pulling a bunch of friends and workers with him to provide food for those that need it, doesn't care how much he'll pay out of pocket in the end and is completely shrugging off anything on his work schedule to help for as long as he's needed and people are complaining.
Pulled pork cooked by a celebrity chef in one of the best smokers money can buy or microwaved hot dogs, the choice is obvious.

These people who are bitching about him, what exactly have they done to help?

I don't know much about Guy Fieri, but after seeing this segment on John Oliver's show, I actually think he seems like a decent fella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CtLCarYuE

Hes really not. Ive met him, he pretty much thinks his shit dont stink...or at least thats the attitude he takes with us common folk.

EDIT: Not saying hes a horrible human being or anything like that, but he is kind of an asshole.

Sapiens

So, people are getting fed with cooked food and because the food is being cooked with fire...?

Is it also a problem that the people in the shelter are breathing oxygen, the same element that feeds a fire?

CGiRanger

Banned
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7519783-181/fieri-fires-up-the-grill

He goes all in pulling a bunch of friends and workers with him to provide food for those that need it, doesn't care how much he'll pay out of pocket in the end and is completely shrugging off anything on his work schedule to help for as long as he's needed and people are complaining.
Pulled pork cooked by a celebrity chef in one of the best smokers money can buy or microwaved hot dogs, the choice is obvious.

These people who are bitching about him, what exactly have they done to help?

Seriously. the writer of this article should be ashamed. Trying to create controversy for clicks by trying to tarnish what is a movingly good deed.

Guy is a local trying to help people who have lost everything, and these clowns are trying to condemn him for what? freaking "Optics"?

Actions >>>>>>>> Optics

cameron

When asked if the barbecue smoker was an appropriate choice considering the smoke and fire in the devastated area, Fieri got defensive. "I don't even have anything to say about that," he told KQED. "That's a ridiculous question. And that's a ridiculous statement. I mean, come on. What do you want me to do?"

I would be irritated, too. KQED reporter should feel bad for bringing it up.

Hes really not. Ive met him, he pretty much thinks his shit dont stink...or at least thats the attitude he takes with us common folk.

EDIT: Not saying hes a horrible human being or anything like that, but he is kind of an asshole.

Name me one TV personality that specializes (expert in) something, whether it's Mental-physical health, cooking, food/nutrition, Cars, Fashion, Dating...... fuck you name it, name me one personality on TV that doesn't come off as their "shit don't stink"?

pablito

Honestly, I don't know. I just told my wife about it, who's house burned down when she was a kid. She said she would have been grateful if someone gave her some BBQ afterwards.

I guess I was trying to make the connection of fire, smoke...smoker?

Don't need to worry about it "still" being cool...

WykEMWD.jpg

... if it was never cool to begin with.

OWoE_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

touché

Name me one TV personality that specializes (expert in) something, whether it's Mental-physical health, cooking, food/nutrition, Cars, Fashion, Dating...... fuck you name it, name me one personality on TV that doesn't come off as their "shit don't stink"?

I'm looking at my friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances and I'm still having a hard time coming up with a name. Celebrity or not.

The people bitching about this are just people who think "their shit doesn't stink" complaining about people that "think their shit doesn't stink."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What's wrong with sandwiches? I used to make 5 or more a minute when I volunteered.

People are right that it's a drop in the bucket but it's not the best or only way to feed people.

I'm not hating on Fieri, I don't even know why people hate him lol, and it's a great thing that he's doing, but I understand optics.

The only thing he did "wrong" is bring a smoker. Can anyone name a reason why bringing a smoker is somehow bad except that it has the word smoke in the name? Seriously what other bad optics are there? If anything it makes anyone complaining or bitching look like an absolute tool who doesn't know what they fuck they're even bitching about.

Wood Man

I tune into Flavortown and watch him do the money shot. That's when he takes a bite of food. Just look at this magnificent beast:

ph7k9he34s2qbwe.gif

But Guy ain't a bad guy. He's just so "in-your-face" and he can get annoying.

Saying this as a cook. It irritates me to see a cook with a bunch of towels on them. Like ever heard of sharing? I have one towel on me and one for my station.

mcfrank

Cooking makes smoke. He is doing a good thing, people should be thanking him. I said all of this as someone who finds him super annoying.

Tagyhag

The only thing he did "wrong" is bring a smoker. Can anyone name a reason why bringing a smoker is somehow bad except that it has the word smoke in the name? Seriously what other bad optics are there? If anything it makes anyone complaining or bitching look like an absolute tool who doesn't know what they fuck they're even bitching about.

You answered your own question.

It's dumb, I know. I said sandwiches because I think that's the only way no one would be offended.

Not that anyone should care aside from those that are actually there, but I like to see the viewpoints of everyone.

The air quality is really bad due to the smoke, but the smoker is a drop in the bucket compared to the forest fires. He just didn't think that part through.

It's way more hilarious than it is actually harmful here.

For the defenders out there

This is where its kind of iffy:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...is-worst-on-record-for-san-francisco-bay-area

Some of the worst air quality the bay area has ever seen, so other than barbecuing for fire victims, its still a slightly tone-deaf move.

Still, i love me some bbq

VsQArrU.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom