• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Fieri brings barbecue smoker to Santa Rosa fire evacuation center

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

Good on him, and screw the people trying to paint him helping feed evacuees as a bad thing. He's feeding people who need food for god sake, you say he's being insensitive - tell that to the people have some food from him.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
How does he still think that hair is cool? Damn...
Gotta look good in the Wastelands.
giphy.gif

jaxpunk

Is this the thread we get to see who likes to be mad for the sake of being mad on the internet? Sure looks that way.

Also good on Guy for feeding people!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
This is why we can't have nice things. Why is a guy feeding displaced people's intentions even being questioned as though any answers from such question would have added to or taken away from what his actions accomplished?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well placed intentions just poor execution. I dont think he needs to get his head chopped off because of this but should definitely just told. Dude is still doing more good than harm.

Guy Fieri is not contributing to the air pollution in the region in any statistically relevant way. There's no Problem; he's going out there helping thousands of people. Big props, full stop.

It's mainly funny because of the unfortunate optics combined with Guy Fieri's known over-the-top persona resulting in a Clickhole headline happening in real life.

Good for him. Are we really going to chastise him for using a smoker that's used to feed hungry people? A smoker is a good way to feed a good amount of people.

CHC

Really, really stupid criticism. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but.....

Guy Fieri said:
"We're feeding folks in the shelter that have been displaced," he said.

.... that's basically all there is to it.

Van Bur3n

Oh no! He's cooking food for the many victims of the fire with...FIRE! Absolutely disgusting and insensitive. Should have just brought them all crackers and ramen noodles. A barbecue? That's just cruel. For shame, Guy. For shame.

louiedog

Yes, clearly officiating over a hundred weddings and hold up a flag are comparable.

It seems like a pretty straightforward comparison to me. Showing support for one thing even if you aren't a supporter. It's not about the size and scale of them or whether or not they're exactly the same.

Maybe he's come around over the years, who knows. The point is people were saying he seems like a great guy but people who have worked with him say otherwise.

It's just an off the cuff "joke", it's quite obvious why having a smoker in a fire evactuation seems slightly tasteless initially, which fits well with Fieri's overall corniness. This is an absolute non issue of course, which is why I wrote the rest of the post. He's doing a really good thing.

It's really not obvious to me how this is tasteless. Like, if some area got hit by a Tornado, would having a fan on in an evac center be "insensitive"? How much length should we go to consider someones else's feelings before they even say anything?

ZOONAMI

And Trump held up a flag.

Doing something like that for his public image and how he treated people while working closely are different things.

Eh, I don’t know. All that shit on Guy comes from city pages potentially just publishing slander from 2 people who were fired off the show.

I’m actually surprised CP even published that trash.

It’s also possible Guy had a legitimate change of heart on the issue if his late sister was a lesbian. Maybe he didn’t know.

We don’t really know anything but I wouldn’t bury the dude because a couple of people are throwing him under the bus after getting canned. Could be true, might not be true.

Either way what he’s doing here feeding a shit ton of people is a good thing, even if he didn’t think through the smoker thing that well. But yeah if you are going to have hot food outside without running a generator which also kind of sucks, smoking/grilling is kind of the logical choice.

gatling

I think its neat. Plus, hes not a fan of his flame shirt, I think. Something about him wearing it once at a bbq resturant he worked at before getting famous and they ate that persona up. It stuck.

Magilla

Banned
I remember there being some reports about him being not such a great guy.

I've also heard stories about him not being great to work with at the restaurants.

I find his persona a bit grating, but I have never seen that claim, by a fired employee, backed up. I would also, bet you would be hard pressed to find a dozen celebrity chefs that haven't been a dick to someone in the kitchen. It's a tough ass biz.

Dude shoulda brought a fleet of electric stoves and generators and just made dish after dish of stovetop cooking. Using a smoker to make easily make large enough meals to feed many at once isn’t what’s important here. Obviously, cooking using any method other than fire is most important for the people evacuated.

People on the internet hundreds/thousands of miles away and completely unaffected by the fires complaining about the logistics of this act of altruism while people who lost everything overnight are enjoying a hot meal prepared for them. The world is such a strange place.

I'm not sure how it'd feel to have someone complain for me like that, but I bet it sucks most of the time.

ninecubed

Unconfirmed Member
Guy is definitely polarizing, but is this seriously even an issue? He's helping feed hundreds of people, many of whom have just lost their homes (or worse). If he were there handing out cold soup, oatmeal, and snack packs instead of BBQ would that make this less 'offensive'?

Ridiculous

Where was this alleged 'storm of criticism'? Nobody's criticism or comments are quoted in the article. No people on the scene, no social media posts. Nothing.

The comments on the article are universally panning the writer's slant, and the few responses on the reporter's twitter are entirely negative towards the story.

What is this? A reporter with a notion who talked to some friends of his?

spwolf

Guy Fieri is not contributing to the air pollution in the region in any statistically relevant way. There's no Problem; he's going out there helping thousands of people. Big props, full stop.

It's mainly funny because of the unfortunate optics combined with Guy Fieri's known over-the-top persona resulting in a Clickhole headline happening in real life.

i wonder if people really believe that fire victims dont eat bbq anymore? We have fires in the summer all around, never crossed my mind - except that people should be more careful about where and how they bbq.

Tagyhag

You keep hand wringing about optics and suggesting what he should do while you do nothing, and he'll keep feeding people.

As a Californian, I donated to CDP. Nice try though.

Entire neighborhoods are ash right now, do those people being fed give a fuck about perceived optics?

Nope, but I'm talking about those looking in.

Again, I don't think this is wrong, just that I can see why some people would get offended.

And you're right, it's about the people that actually need the food.

I can't speak for the racists or the sexists, but anyone who would have any complaint about Fieri's actions here are who I mean when I say SJW.

It seems like a pretty straightforward comparison to me. Showing support for one thing even if you aren't a supporter. It's not about the size and scale of them or whether or not they're exactly the same.

Maybe he's come around over the years, who knows. The point is people were saying he seems like a great guy but people who have worked with him say otherwise.

Was it people, or just one person?

Perfect example of horrible journalism...

"Adding smoke plumes with his smoker to an already smoke filled sky"

"When asked if this was offensive to fire victims, he got defensive"

Jesus Christ! Talk about making Atom bombs out of candle lights!

Trolling a guy just trying to help out a community to a point where he falls for your conniving tricks isn't him being "Defensive"

It's just him being dumb enough to fall for your douchbaggery!

I think people can tell the difference between the fire that made them flee from their homes and the smoke from a smoker cooking food. Most of us are conditioned to love that sort of thing, so as soon as the smell hits, you know.

I’m not going to tell people they can’t serve me Jello after our next big earthquake if I’m displaced and hungry.

louiedog

Eh, I don't know. All that shit on Guy comes from city pages potentially just publishing slander from 2 people who were fired off the show.

I'm actually surprised CP even published that trash.

It's also possible Guy had a legitimate change of heart on the issue if his late sister was a lesbian. Maybe he didn't know.

We don't really know anything but I wouldn't bury the dude because a couple of people are throwing him under the bus after getting canned. Could be true, might not be true.

Either way what he's doing here feeding a shit ton of people is a good thing, even if he didn't think through the smoker thing that well. But yeah if you are going to have hot food outside without running a generator which also kind of sucks, smoking/grilling is kind of the logical choice.

Who's burying him? Why does everything have to be extremes? It was a response to people saying they thought he was a good person. I also included that I've heard some things in person, which I can't source. It' not just based on that article.

Was it people, or just one person?

You mean in that article with quotes from two people? I guess it could have been a Quatto situation which could complicate things.

Chococat

Dude shoulda brought a fleet of electric stoves and generators and just made dish after dish of stovetop cooking. Using a smoker to make easily make large enough meals to feed many at once isn’t what’s important here. Obviously, cooking using any method other than fire is most important for the people evacuated.

Bah, generators? Don't you know how bad the air quality in the burning regions in? And you want to use generators to add to it? You monster! /s

The obvious thing to do to avoid offending anybody would be to show up with a dumptruck full of ceviche. Does Guy's callousness know no bounds?

sn00zer

Wow god damn I cant tell if people are completly out of touch with reality or just really fucking stupid.

Emergency situations always have a stupid and very loud peanut gallery try to find every little thing wrong that happens and put in their own stupid input. 9/10 times the person has no fucking idea what they are talking about and try to be backseat emergency responders. Except they are more like a screaming child in a backseat booster seat who only have a vague idea of what driving is.

Fuck... wow... those dumb responses from people makes me mad.

DopeToast

Banned
Good for him for the sincere effort. If there was an issue using a smoker like that then maybe they should have cleared it with the local FD, but other than that it's a very nice thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom