• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys, I miss traditional 2D animation from Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on a Disney kick as of late (watched hunchback of notre dame, fox and the hound, and the audio commentary of beauty and the beast) and it's kinda left me sad that we're not really gonna be getting that from them anymore.

I know that it's been like this for a while, but now we're not getting traditional 2D from anyone these days (at least to my knowledge). Ghibli is on hiatus and it's not like dreamworks is ever gonna do 2D again.

Are there any 2D animated movies in production from anyone or ones that have come out recently? I'd love to know if there are. The only one on my radar that I haven't seen is Princess Kaguya.

maxcriden

I do hope we get more 2D films soon. I appreciated what The Princess and The Frog was going for, but it just wasn't my kind of movie.

beane316

I'll take hand drawn cartoons any day of the week! It's amazing when you look at some of the old Disney movies that were made in the 50s and how they still hold up today.

Drago

Sponge Out Of Water was primarily traditionally animated, despite what the advertisements would have you believe. All the CG stuff is the last 15-20 minutes of the movie, almost everything else was in 2D. Was a fun movie too, I liked it quite a bit.

I wish there would be a theatrical western 2D animation reinassance but I just can't see that happening any time soon, unfortunately. :(

Kinyou

Sponge Out Of Water was primarily traditionally animated, despite what the advertisements would have you believe. All the CG stuff is the last 15-20 minutes of the movie, almost everything else was in 2D. Was a fun movie too, I liked it quite a bit.
Seriously? After the TV spots I thought it was CGI/live action movie. That's some dumb marketing

Yep, it's depressing all right. It doesn't look like Disney is going to ever make another traditionally 2D animated film for a long time.
At this point the best thing you can learn to do is appreciate short films and indie stuff but that probably isn't exactly what you're looking for.
France tends put out a 2D animated film every few years; most recently Ernest and Celestine.

Spinluck

There are more you haven't seen, keep looking.

It's a dying art form, but I feel the whole "no one wants 2d they want 3d" thing is overblown. No one just suddenly didn't want traditional animation after Toy Story... It didn't suddenly die. I think along the lines it'll make some sort of comeback.

I remember listening to an interview where Brad Bird shared his thoughts on the matter and I couldn't really disagree with him.

Arcadius

Banned
I would have to agree. I like Disney and their films, but the traditional methods of animation are something I truly adore and miss. I rely on Studio Ghibli for the classic animation.

Spinluck

I do hope we get more 2D films soon. I appreciated what The Princess and The Frog was going for, but it just wasn't my kind of movie.

Exactly, a lot of 3D movies were leaps above in quality over most of the traditionally animated films we were getting in the 21st century. Princess and The Frog was such a missed opportunity.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
It actually makes me incredibly sad. A lot of hugely talented people lost their jobs when Disney decided to go 3D for movies. Theres a documentary on Netflix called "Waking Sleeping Beauty" which is really worth a watch if youre interested in the processes that went into making their 2D films.

The art form is definitely dying, its so sad to see Ghibli slowing down as they have been one of the only studios making feature length 2D animations in recent years. The good news is that theres still 2D animation being made, mainly in tv shows and anime, which will hopefully keep the art form alive even if it is drawn digitally.

Arcadius

Banned
It actually makes me incredibly sad. A lot of hugely talented people lost their jobs when Disney decided to go 3D for movies. Theres a documentary on Netflix called "Waking Sleeping Beauty" which is really worth a watch if youre interested in the processes that went into making their 2D films.

The art form is definitely dying, its so sad to see Ghibli slowing down as they have been one of the only studios making feature length 2D animations in recent years. The good news is that theres still 2D animation being made, mainly in tv shows and anime, which will hopefully keep the art form alive even if it is drawn digitally.

Thanks for the heads up on the Netflix film, will watch it when I get a change. I love learning and reading about the talent and genius-ness that was involved with 2D animation.

I wouldn't mind the 3D animation stuff as much if the characters weren't acting like they were made of rubber and / or constantly moving their limbs. I always end up watching them along with Dreamworks 3D movies when I'm babysitting my nieces/nephews and it drives me nuts.

I remember I saw How to Train Your Dragon 2 last Christmas and the guy's girlfriend comments at the start of the movie on the constant arm movement the lead character does so I'm like, "Oh cool, they've noticed. Guess that means it'll tone down in this movie....

Okay, you can stop now...

Stop already!"

JordanN

Banned
It's getting possible for 3D graphics to imitate 2D cartoons.

All it takes is for the first studio to turn it into a big budget movie.
xiW2JXf.jpg

suh8AR3.jpg

Actually, there was a 3D movie made last year that looked like traditional anime. Maybe there's hope the West will try it.

ExQDubg.jpg

Expelled from Paradise

stuminus3

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was some kind of CGI reboot like the Smurfs or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They're probably worried that the Academy Awards would confuse them for Chinese cartoons if they went back to 2D and thus not get the votes.

It's getting possible for 3D graphics to imitate 2D cartoons.

All it takes is for the first studio to turn it into a big budget movie.

Actually, there was a 3D movie made last year that looked like traditional anime. Maybe there's hope the West will try it.

ExQDubg.jpg

Expelled from Paradise

I want the real thing. This can never be a substitute. Besides, Feast already did it better than anyone else. It's just a matter of time before they use it for a feature.

tumblr_ndk67o7XNs1rf73xqo2_500.gif

The problem with 3D imitating 2D is that no matter how well you do it, you're basically admitting that the art form is dead.

I have no problem with emulating the style (the new Jojo series does an amazing job btw) but if we ever get to the point where we're just only using 3D models to emulate 2D, it will be completely dead. It's also kind of missing the point; if you're going to go through all the trouble of making something in 3D resemble 2D exactly, why not just make it in 2D to begin with? We're not talking about games where 3D is objectively better in many situations and has that undeniable wow factor.

Fortunately the industry does recognize the strengths a basis in 2D animation gives you so I doubt we'll ever get to that point.

JordanN

Banned
It's also kind of missing the point; if you're going to go through all the trouble of making something in 3D resemble 2D exactly, why not just make it in 2D to begin with?

2D is expensive. That's the whole reason it (sadly) died off.

3D is much more economical and easier to work with. The models you make can be reused forever. Once 2D animation is drawn, the paper becomes useless for anything else.

That's why I'm ok with 3D taking over. The tech will make it possible, that no one will tell difference whether it was hand drawn or CG.

I want the real thing. This can never be a substitute. Besides, Feast already did it better than anyone else. It's just a matter of time before they use it for a feature.

tumblr_ndk67o7XNs1rf73xqo2_500.gif
Still not as 2d animated as traditional anime movies from their past. When they can recreate Pinocchio with 3d animation then we can start using it.

I wasn't a big fan of Feast, but it looks nice enough. Princess And The Frog is among my favorite Disney movies, but I guess a lot of people weren't as crazy about it as I was. It's a million times better than their 3D output, though.

Me too.

The short before BH6 was lovely.

Wasn't Frozen meant to be 2D originally?
Indeed it was and I would have preferred it.

Isn't there a 2018 Disney film coming out that's suppose to be more towards 2D? I would look to see a feature film using Paperman's style but I remember them saying that it's not ready for that scale.

uhax2fJ.jpg

tumblr_mjng1hYlnf1r2tll0o1_500.gif

Still not as 2d animated as traditional anime movies from their past. When they can recreate Pinocchio with 3d animation then we can start using it.

I agree, but I think the tech isn't going to get there until they try to make a feature with it first, well maybe a couple of shorts more. i don't think it will go anywhere without use.

Subitai

The market reality is that kids aren't interested enough in 2D and most parents aren't going to spend time and money dragging them there.

Blame Pixar for changing kids' tastes.

Skidd

Are there any 2D animated movies in production from anyone or ones that have come out recently? I'd love to know if there are. The only one on my radar that I haven't seen is Princess Kaguya.
Hullabaloo - A steampunk movie from old Disney veterans

Isn't there a 2018 Disney film coming out that's suppose to be more towards 2D? I would look to see a feature film using Paperman's style but I remember them saying that it's not ready for that scale.

uhax2fJ.jpg
veMpCqe.gif

First time hearing about this. Do want if true!

I wish there would be a theatrical western 2D animation reinassance but I just can't see that happening any time soon, unfortunately. :(

I did hear about this. Was a big fan of Spongebob back in the day (if you could't tell by my patrick avatar :p) so I'd like to check it out.

Xe4

Banned
I've been on a Disney kick as of late (watched hunchback of notre dame, fox and the hound, and the audio commentary of beauty and the beast) and it's kinda left me sad that we're not really gonna be getting that from them anymore.

I know that it's been like this for a while, but now we're not getting traditional 2D from anyone these days (at least to my knowledge). Ghibli is on hiatus and it's not like dreamworks is ever gonna do 2D again.

Song of the Sea. Oh my god, you need to watch Song of the Sea.

tumblr_nfns48xrai1u2ubu4o1_500.gif

tumblr_nfggv6g8Gi1tqojtso6_r1_250.gif

Trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enRvwFUTes

Theaters: https://www.facebook.com/songoftheseamovie/posts/678253202284781

Spasm

Go buy the Blu-ray immediately. I really didn't think I'd like it judging by the trailers, but I could not have been more wrong.

Go back in time and make Princess and the Frog a success

"Unfortunately 2D became the excuse for poor storytelling," said Lasseter, who pioneered the CGI animation revolution with Toy Story in 1995. "The general consensus was that audiences did not want to watch hand-drawn animated films, which is of course completely ridiculous. The day I stepped in we got in touch with these guys and set about bringing back the artists that Disney had laid off."

The studio subsequently put the hand-drawn animation The Princess and the Frog into production. The traditional musical, based on the Brothers Grimm story the Frog Prince but relocating the action to 1920s New Orleans, was well-reviewed but failed to mirror the astounding success of Pixar at the box office with a middling return of $267m (£178m). Another hand-drawn animation – 2011’s Winnie the Pooh – drew praise from critics but pulled in just $33m across the globe. Meanwhile, Disney CGI efforts such as 2009’s Bolt and 2010’s Tangled grossed $310m and $590m respectively.
Read more at http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/448...y-done-with-2d-hand-drawn#3CgH2V2PbwdU1Vi5.99

Yep, it's our fault 2D died because nobody went to see the last one. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Mr Git

Same. The old ones have much more charm and don't age nearly as quickly. There's something to be said for quality too. I can't get past 10 minutes of Frozen. It's so very terrible.

Yeah, I'd prefer 2D as well - they age better and have a more timeless, classic feel to them - but it's clear to see why they've abandoned it when the last few films they've tried it with haven't been huge.

... at the same time, I'd like to think Princess and the Frog still wouldn't be as big of a hit were it 3D (ie the movie's problem wasn't its 2Dness) and Winnie the Pooh was released the same day as the final Harry Potter movie and was never going to be a hit.

olympia

The market reality is that kids aren't interested enough in 2D and most parents aren't going to spend time and money dragging them there.

Blame Pixar for changing kids' tastes.

I find this to be untrue. Traditional animation is still very alive and well on TV and certainly in the Anime kids are interested in. If Frozen was traditionally animated it still woild have been a hit. Disney is still rumored to be working on a traditionally animated feature.

Princess and The Frog didn't fail. It grossed $200M. It just didn't sell any toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom