• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys, what the hell at the Canadian ON-CONTRACT iPhone 6S prices?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US, on a 2-year contract, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus start at $199 and $299, respectively. In Canada, it's $398 and $528. And this is not because of the weak Canadian dollar (200 US Dollar equals 265.19 Canadian Dollar). The iPhone 6 was priced somewhat similar to the US, except with FX obviously being factored in. But this... this is ridiculous.

PjGawRy.png

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
seriously wtf. Just looking at Apple's site, 64GB 6 is $650 in US and $900 in Canada. Lol, ooook. Yeah, let's just overcharge $50 over the current exchange rate because why not.

This is not just about carriers, this is about Apple setting the prices higher than they should be, and then carriers charging extra on top of that while giving literally nothing extra. I just see that the no-tab option for 64GB 6 is $970 with a carrier? WTF, lol, why would anyone ever buy that instead of directly from Apple for $70 less? Seriously, what the hell is going on here?

Damerman

seriously wtf. Just looking at Apple's site, 64GB 6 is $650 in US and $900 in Canada. Lol, ooook. Yeah, let's just overcharge $50 over the current exchange rate because why not.

Dat FOREX hedge. damn, canadians are getting fucked left and right.

jcutner

I think the carriers are also adjusting to the new standard 2 year plans instead of our typical 3 year plans we had, so their subsidy is changing now to factor that change. The CRTC thought they were saving us :(

NeoROCK

Horrible.

I heard rumors of american companies setting up shop in canada but it was kiboshed cuz it would force canadian carriers to lower prices. Wonder if this will be address in elections? Prob not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess this is going right next to bagged milk on my reasons to never move to canada

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CRTC compelled providers to move to a 2 year contract rather than a 3 year contract +
Canadian dollar declined by 30%

199 * 3/2 / 0.7 = $426

$398 is slightly below what we'd expect the changes to be long term.

_Nemo

Yeah, the carriers are even worse. Canada has been getting brutally raped by the phone companies for years. There's just no competition here, the big 3 have total monopoly and can make the prices as high as the sky and nobody can do shit about it.

Walpurgis

Banned
I still have my first cell phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm pretty okay with it but since my contract ended a few months ago, I might get a new phone on a plan. I am currently out of contract with Bell but they have let me keep my old plan....so far. My plan was unlimited talk/text with 2 GB of data. When my contract ended, they changed that to 3 GB of data. I am afraid of what they can do to me out of contract. I've heard stories of prices randomly changing and I don't know the first thing about this stuff so I don't want to get scammed. What should I do?

NeoROCK

one thing that helps offset the price of the new phone, is selling your old phone.

don't forget you can still get about $300 for an iPhone 5s on kijiji. So really, it will only cost me about $400 to upgrade from a 16gb iPhone 5s, to a 64gb iPhone6s Plus.

That's not great, but its not terrible either.

Willectro

Banned
I can wrap my head around Apple's pricing, but not the telecoms smartphone plans. I'm just as guilty, but the problem is that most of us Canadians just bitch about it online and do nothing else. I've tried speaking with my MP about it, to no avail.

The CRTC has been a poison to Canadian consumers, ostensibly trying to protect Canada but in turn permitting Bell and Rogers to do pretty much whatever they want. By time a policy is put in place by the CRTC, the telecoms are 3 steps ahead and on to a new product or service. Oh, no more 3 year plans? Great, let's double the prices of devices and plans. Telecoms have become so awful in Canada, I'm surprised it's not one of the top 3 federal election issues. We have enabled Bell and Rogers to generate record profits using taxpayers infrastructure, with very few consumer safeguards. The gouging is just unbelievable.

Every single price on Rogers website could be half of what it is for twice the service, and they would still be profitable.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What is an export import and how does it work?
How are currency values impacted by this?

These are the questions OP shoild be asking.
You can't expect an imported good to not fluctuate in price as the global economy changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom