• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS - The History of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Video games – more so than any other form of entertainment – are a confluence of artistry and technology. While specialized hardware and software provide developers with the tools necessary to craft them, creativity and skill are necessary in order to know how to make proper use of these tools. And like in any other artistic medium, the only way to improve this creativity and skill is through experience.

Perhaps no other word better describes Ninja Theory’s Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. An action-adventure game set within a fantastical post-apocalypse, Enslaved charmed many people with its exciting combat and heartfelt story, but sold well under what most games of its genre typically boast upon its release, resulting in it quickly slipping under the radar for most mainstream gamers. Yet its development – which saw several famous Hollywood figures team up with Ninja Theory – served as an invaluable learning experience for the studio, teaching its staff lifelong lessons on how to engage players using narrative and gameplay in tandem, as well as how to craft deep and emotionally fulfilling characters within the medium’s limitations. It helped its creators transition from being a good video game developer, to a great one, and set them up to eventually become even better with its subsequent endeavors.

Sometimes, the destination is the most important part of video game development – while other times, the journey is paramount. With Ninja Theory’s third project, the latter proved more true than anything else.

This is the history of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Monkey do things for me or your head will explode!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Amazing game. for a 9-10

Honestly, it didn't catch my attention at the beginning until I bought it, its a a very good game, the graphics are excellent to me almost like Uncharted, besides the characters are nice and the gameplay is fun ... like uncharted.

My only complaint was the end that was left wide open. But in fact it is one of the games that I am currently looking for in physical despite having it in digital.

Dthomp

Nice, this game deserved more love then it got. Really enjoyed the heck out of this last gen.

Kazza

Although it didn't sell well at first, it seemed to have a longer life than other games sales-wise due to good word of mouth (at least I hope so). I think its lush green setting were a breath of fresh air amongst the dull browns of that generation of action games. They should release a remaster with a Chinese dub (it is loosely based on a Chinese story after all). I'm surprised it was never part of the Xbox BC programme.

X GOD FIST X

Neo Member
Although it didn't sell well at first, it seemed to have a longer life than other games sales-wise due to good word of mouth (at least I hope so). I think its lush green setting were a breath of fresh air amongst the dull browns of that generation of action games. They should release a remaster with a Chinese dub (it is loosely based on a Chinese story after all). I'm surprised it was never part of the Xbox BC programme.

It is BC and plays nice on a Xbox One X. Love this game, it should get a remaster or a patch on the next set of consoles to improve graphics.

That guy makes a lot of great history videos on youtube. His video on Medal of Honor is my favorite and hit me right in the feels.

Top Bottom