• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW2 GAFGuild | Community Thread

jonah777

Goldorak.9468

Canada, EST

#addme

edit: hmm... is this info not for guild invite? if not, pls send one to 'Aelred Gunn'.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Actually, I just need an invite to the guild for this BWE2. I'm already added into the GW roster.

My character name is De Lusive.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Thanks for the invite to the guild in game and also for the invite for my friend as well. It was a lot more fun playing in WvW with you guys than just with the both of us where we had no idea what battles to go into.

Keasar

So where do I go to join the (EU) guild? Have been playing the whole weekend alone and I really would like to try the Ascalon Catacombs before this is over. :<

NeededSleep

Hey all! Just checking in. i'm still around just not playing the beta weekends anymore. Waiting for the full release :-D

Are we still set on the same server?

Deitus

Hey all! Just checking in. i'm still around just not playing the beta weekends anymore. Waiting for the full release :-D

We will remain on the same server for the duration of the Beta (unless someone goes through some serious effort to coordinate a guild-wide server migration, but that sounds unlikely).

What server we use when the actual game releases has not been decided on though. There's not really any reason to stay on Henge of Denravi (and whatever server the bulk of the European players ended up on) since our accounts should not be tied to that server anymore when they wipe Beta characters. But maybe we'll stick with it because that's a name people recognize now. There seems to be some dissatisfaction with our server of choice though, so we shall see.

When a release date is actually announced, we will probably coordinate servers in the weeks leading up to the release, just as we did with the Beta. Whether we decide to stay with Henge of Denravi, or switch to a different server, Ferny will undoubtedly update the OP with the details. Just make sure to check in before making your server choice.

Levyne

Banned

Same here..just waiting for launch. Pretty sure I've already been added but just in case

Seda Khold.5428 #addme

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
We will remain on the same server for the duration of the Beta (unless someone goes through some serious effort to coordinate a guild-wide server migration, but that sounds unlikely).

What server we use when the actual game releases has not been decided on though. There's not really any reason to stay on Henge of Denravi (and whatever server the bulk of the European players ended up on) since our accounts should not be tied to that server anymore when they wipe Beta characters. But maybe we'll stick with it because that's a name people recognize now. There seems to be some dissatisfaction with our server of choice though, so we shall see.

When a release date is actually announced, we will probably coordinate servers in the weeks leading up to the release, just as we did with the Beta. Whether we decide to stay with Henge of Denravi, or switch to a different server, Ferny will undoubtedly update the OP with the details. Just make sure to check in before making your server choice.

Only because we always seem to get trounced in WvW, haha.

I come in hoping to find an answer to this question (which server we'd choose for release) but looks like we're waiting.
I hope everyone chooses to stick together. I love that sense of community you get from the early days of a big game release. BWE1 was great in that sense.

Retro

I come in hoping to find an answer to this question (which server we'd choose for release) but looks like we're waiting.
I hope everyone chooses to stick together. I love that sense of community you get from the early days of a big game release. BWE1 was great in that sense.

We're waiting because the last time we picked a server, we went with the first one alphabetically, starting with G... and ended up on Henge. We didn't know if ANet was going to release a list of server names for the BWE, so we just made that plan to ensure everyone landed in the same place... and it backfired.

And yes, we definitely want everyone to stick together. The 100-member limit is an issue but we'll try and get that cap raised as soon as we possibly can (and by that, I mean buy gems and turn it into gold). Until then, we may need to have a GAFT guild again at launch.

Vinci

Danish
We were only trounced in WvW because the server skill match isn't in place yet.

That's not really much of a consolation prize. ;) I mean, ideally we would be capable of at least competing against anyone, regardless of their skills or size. And there are just too many people - not in our guild, per se, but server-wide - that think banging their heads against gates is the proper way to play the game. The important thing is helping them realize that's not really the best option and move on from there. The BWEs are too short to educate others in a larger scale fashion though, so we'll see how it goes.

CzarTim

That's not really much of a consolation prize. ;) I mean, ideally we would be capable of at least competing against anyone, regardless of their skills or size. And there are just too many people - not in our guild, per se, but server-wide - that think banging their heads against gates is the proper way to play the game. The important thing is helping them realize that's not really the best option and move on from there. The BWEs are too short to educate others in a larger scale fashion though, so we'll see how it goes.

We were out-numbered, plain and simple. And plus there were still free server transfers, so I'm sure people jumped ship.

Retro

We were out-numbered, plain and simple. And plus there were still free server transfers, so I'm sure people jumped ship.

- The server-pairing algorithm was apparently screwed up and matched us with servers that were ranked much higher.

- Deldrimor's Borderland was bugged, kept saying it was full. This allowed them to go entirely on the offensive as they didn't need to protect their home turf.

- At least one time, we made major progress (capped one of the middle-side fortresses, which had our orb) only to have it wiped by a server restart. The defending team knew our strategy and bum-rushed to stop us.

And yes, obviously when people saw Henge was second to last on the list of servers, everyone bailed like rats from a sinking ship. At launch, we'll pick a better server and give real consideration to pairing with another community.

Retro

So release date announced, same server or a different one?

There was a lot of disappointment with Henge of Denravi, so once we get a list of servers we'll go from there. Officers will have to discuss it, but someone has been tossing around "Gates of Madness" since it's now the first "G"-named server.

Watch this thread for more details.

Spookie

There was a lot of disappointment with Henge of Denravi, so once we get a list of servers we'll go from there. Officers will have to discuss it, but someone has been tossing around "Gates of Madness" since it's now the first "G"-named server.

Watch this thread for more details.

Don't forget us EU folks. :(

Vano

List of server with guilds, the Sorrow's servers looks good (Sorrow furnance and Sea of sorrows), found at /vg/:

ihfBNOLrNjqWa.png

Ashodin

I'm quite partial to being on low or medium population servers, if only for the fact that I would enjoy being one of the most notorious guilds on that server. In the higher pop servers we would get lost in the mix.

BrettWeir

I'm quite partial to being on low or medium population servers, if only for the fact that I would enjoy being one of the most notorious guilds on that server. In the higher pop servers we would get lost in the mix.

This. Medium seems the best route to pursue. I could see guilds like Goon Squad, Team Legacy, etc. trying for the most popular servers. Queues would absolutely SUCK.

lol51

I think Henge was closer to High since we got matched up vs Borlis (high) and Tarnished Coast (full) last stress test. I have to assume they fixed some issues with WvW matchup since our performance was better (we ended up winning).

We also didn't get the 'Outmaned' buff for very long (+33% karma/gold/exp gain) through this entire stress test period.

Also, I would hate to be in queues for WvW or cant have coordinated guild WvW attacks/defends because of population limits.

Ashodin

This is why I think Gates of Madness would be a better fit. We won't have to worry about the bigger guild servers (since they'll stay matched up against one another) and we'll be able to live comfortably.

Retro

As far as servers go, in my mind there's a balance to be struck.

One one hand, if we're a low pop server (like Henge), when we get curbstomped in the initial WvW pairings, that will encourage more people to leave, exacerbating the problem. I dunno about you guys, but placing so low in the BWE was a matter of pride. I know it's a test and all, but it still sucked to see us so low. Queues are low, of course, which is a good thing.

On the other hand, if we're on a higher pop server, we're more likely to do well in WvW, especially if the community remains active overnight. I can see us fighting tooth and nail for stuff and then having it all taken without a fight if the server is dead after a certain time. The downside is that queues for the WvW maps may be longer. I'd rather get on at peak hours and be able to play.

And on the third and final hand (I grew a third one to hold my beer while I play), we need a server with a name that sounds good. We kinda fell on "Henge" because there wasn't a g-named server at the time. There is now, and Gates of Madness sounds kinda cool.

So, in my opinion, AT LAUNCH (not before), I'm of the mind that we should roll on Gates of Madness. We'll discuss it amongst the officers and GMs (and of course, any feedback people want to provide is welcome) and get a decision before launch. It's still a medium population server, has a better name, and maybe more people will head to it for launch.

That's my opinion, but we'll have to hammer out the details.

zon

List of server with guilds, the Sorrow's servers looks good (Sorrow furnance and Sea of sorrows), found at /vg/:

Haha, me and my buddies guild are on there and there has been maybe 5 of us in the BWE:s, tops. Someone has been thorough with that list.

Ashodin

As far as servers go, in my mind there's a balance to be struck.

One one hand, if we're a low pop server (like Henge), when we get curbstomped in the initial WvW pairings, that will encourage more people to leave, exacerbating the problem. I dunno about you guys, but placing so low in the BWE was a matter of pride. I know it's a test and all, but it still sucked to see us so low. Queues are low, of course, which is a good thing.

On the other hand, if we're on a higher pop server, we're more likely to do well in WvW, especially if the community remains active overnight. I can see us fighting tooth and nail for stuff and then having it all taken without a fight if the server is dead after a certain time. The downside is that queues for the WvW maps may be longer. I'd rather get on at peak hours and be able to play.

And on the third and final hand (I grew a third one to hold my beer while I play), we need a server with a name that sounds good. We kinda fell on "Henge" because there wasn't a g-named server at the time. There is now, and Gates of Madness sounds kinda cool.

So, in my opinion, AT LAUNCH (not before), I'm of the mind that we should roll on Gates of Madness. We'll discuss it amongst the officers and GMs (and of course, any feedback people want to provide is welcome) and get a decision before launch. It's still a medium population server, has a better name, and maybe more people will head to it for launch.

Well from the vg list, Gates was a medium population server much like Henge, which would be hilarious to fight our "beta" server at launch.

There is now, and Gates of Madness sounds kinda cool.

Sounds cool, AND has a pretty cool lore description too...

Those who stand at the Gates of Madness stand at the end of their own grasp on reality, because within, the vision of the dark god rules, and the twisted visions that his eyes have beheld will become the visions of all who pass through the gate. Nothing else remains except infinite, screaming madness.

Infinite, screaming madness... word.

Deitus

How do they know when they're Full ?
Shouldn't they all be labeled High ?

As of the last beta those servers were full, and new player were unable to join them (and you could not transfer servers to them). If they increase the capacity of each server, obviously it won't be true anymore, but at least at the time that graphic was made, those servers were full.

Piecake

Piecake.3687

#addme

Finally decided to take the plunge and buy the game. Seemed silly to wait when I was going to buy it at launch anyways. Now i get to play Beta and play on the weekend before the actual launch!

very excited for the game, a medium server at the higher end of medium servers or the lower spectrum of the high servers would probably be ideal, but I will be happy with whatever choice is made.

#addme

Boratheon.5048

Jira

#addme :)
Weltall Zero.2438
I'm assuming there's a single guild for all members, US and Euro, right?

We currently have 2 guilds due to the 100 person guild cap at the moment, but at launch we will have a single guild for everyone. It'll just be a matter of increasing the cap and all we know in that regard is that you don't do it with Influence but something else.

We currently have 2 guilds due to the 100 person guild cap at the moment, but at launch we will have a single guild for everyone. It'll just be a matter of increasing the cap and all we know in that regard is that you don't do it with Influence but something else.

Oh, I see. Thanks! Whatever it takes to increase the cap, I'll be sure to do my part. /salute
Completely off topic, but do we know if gems can be stored in the guild bank as well as gold? Seems like a much more efficient form of currency to me, what with not being affected by inflation/devaluation (rather the opposite) and being able to be exchanged instantly to what will be exponentially growing amounts of gold.

Also, I should add that Hawkian already added me to the overflow guild, so I should be good to go until retail. :)

Top Bottom