• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW2 GAFGuild | Community Thread

Retro

Meh. There are more communities on other servers for example:

Vabbi - 4chan/vg, Rock Paper Shotgun
Fissure of Woe - SomethingAwful, TKOT

We'd be better off joining them imo. Less chance of us accidentally stumbling upon some moon rune speaking server which we all have to migrate from down the line. I'd rather jump on with SA or RPS as they are usually rather polite and helpful.

My concern here is that WvW has a limit of around 650 players. Being on a server with another large community increases the chances that they will be squatting in WvW when GAFGuild wishes to play.

We're planning to discuss it in the near future, but for the sake of the Beta and to avoid confusion, NA GAF members should be on Henge of Denravi, EU members on Jade Sea. This is ONLY for the Beta, folks.

I think we'd be better off on Fissure of Woe with SA, we're both closed communities and are rather polite. There is less chance of a catastrophic failure then compared to Vabbi which might be full of morons from 4chan.

In my experience, Kel'Thuzad was a bloated mess in WoW thanks to Goonsquad and the numerous groups that followed them out of admiration / opposition. It's queue times were always the worst.

Spookie

My concern here is that WvW has a limit of around 650 players. Being on a server with another large community increases the chances that they will be squatting in WvW when GAFGuild wishes to play.

We're planning to discuss it in the near future, but for the sake of the Beta and to avoid confusion, NA GAF members should be on Henge of Denravi, EU members on Jade Sea. This is ONLY for the Beta, folks.

Might want to update the OP accordingly then. I think I'll pass on joining you lot till retail. I'll see how this weekend plays out and might migrate for the next.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think we'd be better off on Fissure of Woe with SA, we're both closed communities and are rather polite. There is less chance of a catastrophic failure then compared to Vabbi which might be full of morons from 4chan.

Contrary to popular belief, /vg/ is not /v/ or /b/, and in fact is where the actual game communities go to discuss their game of choice.

Retro

Might want to update the OP accordingly then. I think I'll pass on joining you lot till retail.

Ferny already took care of it, it says "Beta Weekend Home Server: HENGE OF DENRAVI / MAKE SURE TO JOIN THIS SERVER WHEN YOU PLAY IN THE BWE!!" Doesn't get much clearer than that.

Retro

It doesn't list the EU server though.

Ah, yeah. It's in the gaming side thread, we'll get it updated shortly.

To be honest, they had mentioned that there wouldn't be any regional restrictions on servers (and there still aren't, technically), but now it seems that they want EU and NA groups to play separate. This means that EU GAFers will need to either roll on an NA server (which I imagine is undesirable) or there needs to be a separate EU Guild.

We're discussing it now, this news kinda dropped on us overnight.

Spookie

To be honest, they had mentioned that there wouldn't be any regional restrictions on servers (and there still aren't, technically), but now it seems that they want EU and NA groups to play separate. This means that EU GAFers will need to either roll on an NA server (which I imagine is undesirable) or there needs to be a separate EU Guild.

I don't think there needs to be a separate guild. All we'll need is dedicated EU officers to organize something for us come release.

Keasar

Ah, yeah. It's in the gaming side thread, we'll get it updated shortly.

The guild doesn't have to be separate, as I understand it we can join any guild on any server, just that we have different home servers? What we need is that we have two home servers on both NA and EU.

Spookie

The guild doesn't have to be separate, as I understand it we can join any guild on any server, just that we have different home servers? What we need is that we have two home servers on both NA and EU.

Correct, all the EU GAF need is a home server to battle for in WvW. PvE we can guest ourselves on the US realm if things aren't too laggy.

Ferny

That's where we'll be. I don't want to make the switch two days prior when every one had it in their minds already about where our server is going to be and we were going to choose it. For launch we can discuss it then, but for now it'll be Henge of Denravi.

Keasar

That's where we'll be. I don't want to make the switch two days prior when every one had it in their minds already about where our server is going to be and we were going to choose it. For launch we can discuss it then, but for now it'll be Henge of Denravi.

What about us in Europe? Is it set in stone for Jade Sea?

Ferny

What about us in Europe? Is it set in stone for Jade Sea?

Honestly we're going to use this weekend to sort of test out how the EU to US guild thing is going to work and whether there will be significant lag if a EU player goes on a US server. That will be the server though at least for now.

Herla

I really hope there won't be any region locking, I'd rather not split the community if the latency does not cause problems.

I'll try to play on Henge of Denravi anyway, hopefully that won't lock me out of the Weekend Event :/

GrizzNKev

Banned
I really hope there won't be any region locking, I'd rather not split the community if the latency does not cause problems.

I'll try to play on Henge of Denravi anyway, hopefully that won't lock me out of the Weekend Event :/

You'll be able to use any server from any region. It's up to you whether you want to deal with potential lag.

mrNTE

Jade Sea(currently)
I won't argue about Jade Sea as EU server but there is also Gandara in the list.
Why was Jade Sea chosen over Gandara?

Honestly we're going to use this weekend to sort of test out how the EU to US guild thing is going to work and whether there will be significant lag if a EU player goes on a US server. That will be the server though at least for now.
I actually hope on we can share the same Home server. I'm volunteering to test out US home server under the BWE.

You'll be able to use any server from any region. It's up to you whether you want to deal with potential lag.
I was under the impression that this affected WvW.
http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2 said:
For instance, you will not be able to participate in WvW while guesting.

Also my GW2 account is mrNTE.6530 (already posted #addme if you are counting)

GrizzNKev

Banned
I won't argue about Jade Sea as EU server but there is also Gandara in the list.
Why was Jade Sea chosen over Gandara?

I actually hope on we can share the same Home server. I'm volunteering to test out US home server under the BWE.

I was under the impression that this affected WvW.

Also my GW2 account is mrNTE.6530 (already posted #addme if you are counting)

You're able to choose any server, and that server is your home server. When you play WvW, you represent your home server.

mrNTE

You're able to choose any server, and that server is your home server. When you play WvW, you represent your home server.
That was the point I was trying to make.
If someone wants to join WvW to play with follow GAF members they have to also join or transfer there own account to the same Home server.

Ferny

If people want to play on the US from EU thats more than ok. You most likely won't even get that bad of a latency if you do.

Retro

I won't argue about Jade Sea as EU server but there is also Gandara in the list. Why was Jade Sea chosen over Gandara?

I will be completely honest. It's Jira's fault...

No, seriously. I dunno if somebody looked at the list and missed it or what, but when I got up this morning to the wash of news, he was the first person to mention an EU server and he named Jade Sea. I guess rather than confuse anyone further we've all kinda gone along with it. The word is out there already so to avoid any further confusion... just roll with it. We'll figure out what server we land on for launch later, I'm hoping they'll post a list sooner than they did this one.

That is most excellent of you. If we could get a couple more people from different parts of Europe to try out the quality of the NA servers from your neck of the woods, that would be awesome. If it turns out that there aren't too many latency issues, it would rock if we could get everyone on one server for proper WvWvGAF.

Jira

Apparently it is my fault, but as I said to Retro, I swear someone else said Jade Sea and that's why I put it in the OP because I sure as hell wouldn't name the EU server, because I won't be on it.

mrNTE

I will be completely honest. It's Jira's fault...

No, seriously. I dunno if somebody looked at the list and missed it or what, but when I got up this morning to the wash of news, he was the first person to mention an EU server and he named Jade Sea. I guess rather than confuse anyone further we've all kinda gone along with it. The word is out there already so to avoid any further confusion... just roll with it. We'll figure out what server we land on for launch later, I'm hoping they'll post a list sooner than they did this one.
Apparently it is my fault, but as I said to Retro, I swear someone else said Jade Sea and that's why I put it in the OP because I sure as hell wouldn't name the EU server, because I won't be on it.
It made me curious as the choice didn't follow the whole "First server starting G or following letter".
Thanks for the answers.

And as GrizzNKev have been saying, Any server will actually do.

Sephirus

As much as I love being a lurker, being part of the NeoGaf GW2 community is enough to get me to post.

#addme Sephirus.8169

Raxum

Question, can different characters have different home servers? Or is home server linked to account? I already had another guild lined up to play with but I'd love to jump on with GAF at some point over the weekend. Unfortunately the other guild is going on a different server, so now I'm a bit torn with what to do.

j_hiro

Question, can different characters have different home servers? Or is home server linked to account? I already had another guild lined up to play with but I'd love to jump on with GAF at some point over the weekend. Unfortunately the other guild is going on a different server, so now I'm a bit torn with what to do.

Home server is linked to account. During the beta looks like you won't get to guest into another server so you'll have to choose one for this BWE.

Raxum

Home server is linked to account. During the beta looks like you won't get to guest into another server so you'll have to choose one for this BWE.

Ah damn, thought that might be the case, well I might have to wait and jump into the GAF guild on the next BWE. If characters are being wiped between betas, home servers would be wiped as well correct?

j_hiro

I don't think it's been confirmed one way or the other? Your supposed to get enough points to transfer home servers once during this BWE. Whether they will do that again next time is up in the air if we do indeed get to keep the characters.

Top Bottom