• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

frontovik

Banned
I shackled a player's Wild Boar that he intended to use with Morkvarg. I got a sync error and defeat a second afterwards.

I don't think I can ladder against drop hackers anymore.

gwent needs much tighter balance than other card games to be fun

constructed is almost always shit in every game, and gwent is constructed-only so that makes it even more important

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Auto-conceeding against skellige until nerf

Get your free wins right now if you want to

Just started playing a few days ago! I'm really having a blast, and that's after thinking base gwent in W3 was way too simple.

Is there any plans to add a limited mode?

Zakalwe

Banned
How much meteor dust does it take to premium a Legendary card?

I thought it was 400, but when I go to my collection with 400 dust there's no transmute option on any of my Legendary cards.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I know it sucks playing against skellige, but just add more special cards to your deck and it makes playing against them less of a headache
I've teched so hard against them, double lightning bolt, succubus x2 (with Renew), Fiend that locks the axe-dude (hard countered by THEIR toggle lock card), Regis bronze-eater, the silver card that consumes from graveyard

It's like, holy shit... despite all of this, I have a 55% win rate against them

Naar

I've teched so hard against them, double lightning bolt, succubus x2 (with Renew), Fiend that locks the axe-dude (hard countered by THEIR toggle lock card), Regis bronze-eater, the silver card that consumes from graveyard

It's like, holy shit... despite all of this, I have a 55% win rate against them

Did you try weather cards? Usually if I draw more than 2 weather cards in my hand and a couple of golds, I usually win

Yoshichan

Did you try weather cards? Usually if I draw more than 2 weather cards in my hand and a couple of golds, I usually win
Can you show me your deck ❤️?
55% win rate demands an auto-concede until nerf? Wow.
Buddy, it's 55% because sometimes I play against skellige with queensguard. Sometimes, I'm even lucky enough to succubus their Morkvarg. I have like a 10% win against the true cancer of Skellige

Naar

Can you show me your deck ❤️?

Buddy, it's 55% because sometimes I play against skellige with queensguard. Sometimes, I'm even lucky enough to succubus their Morkvarg. I have like a 10% win against the true cancer of Skellige

I don't have a picture at the moment but I run a dwarf deck.

Milva is a GREAT counter for axemen. Also my deck used to be 30/40 and is now 39/40 because I added a bunch of weather cards and thunder cards, etc

I am sure if you add 1 fog and 1 rain it will help you out :)

Zakalwe

Banned
I spent a little on meteor dust to craft/transmute/sell Cahir a few times for the bonus scraps, and I managed to build a decent deck and I've got the hang of the basics now.

This game seems quite generous in terms of rewards for the tutorials and costs of things, in comparison to HS at least.

How much meteor dust does it take to premium a Legendary card?

I thought it was 400, but when I go to my collection with 400 dust there's no transmute option on any of my Legendary cards.

Just in-case any other newbs get stuck here.

If you filter a specifc card type and then select the one you want, it won't show the transmute option. You have to filter the premium card itself, select that, and craft it from there (if you have a base copy to use, of course).

I've been thinking about it, and imo the problem is that the devs are again falling in the same trap as before, with the Commander Horn.

Do you remember that before the Horn would boost an entire row? They had to change it because it was a too multiplicative effect: in normal rows it would affect 3, 4, 5 units, maybe 6 with luck. But with the correct combo it would boost 10, 15 or even more units, too much. They couldn't control it.
They had to put the limit on affected units in 5.

With things like bears or Axemen it happens the same: I suppose they thought it would 'tick' 4-6 times in an average match (which would be equivalent to a slightly better bronze), and only in rare cases someone would do a huge chain combo.
The truth is that with the correct deck, the multiplicative effect is very big, activating the Axemen effect twice or even thrice as much, and it can be done in a consistent way.

Yoshichan

I've been thinking about it, and imo the problem is that the devs are again falling in the same trap as before, with the Commander Horn.

Do you remember that before the Horn would boost an entire row? They had to change it because it was a too multiplicative effect: in normal rows it would affect 3, 4, 5 units, maybe 6 with luck. But with the correct combo it would boost 10, 15 or even more units, too much. They couldn't control it.
They had to put the limit on affected units in 5.

With things like bears or Axemen it happens the same: I suppose they thought it would 'tick' 4-6 times in an average match (which would be equivalent to a slightly better bronze), and only in rare cases someone would do a huge chain combo.
The truth is that with the correct deck, the multiplicative effect is very big, activating the Axemen effect twice or even thrice as much, and it can be done in a consistent way.
Now the real question is, why would they ever think that axemen would tick 4-6 times in an average match when bears and frost are available cards?

Zemm

Now the real question is, why would they ever think that axemen would tick 4-6 times in an average match when bears and frost are available cards?

haha exactly. Do they get feedback from streamers like Lifecoach or Swim etc? Because right now they look totally amateur. How do you go from one deck dominating the meta for months to another deck dominating the meta for months? Can we even trust them to get it right next patch or will it just be another faction and deck that is dominant?

The skellige deck is incredibly frustrating to go up against. I can't seem to get faced off against any other deck tonight, aside from one monster deck like an hour ago. Ughhh

Edit: figures as soon as I complain I get another monster deck lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's even more than just bears and axemen since they also have all the revives, so you basically can't truly deal with their threats. Plus a silver revive for good measure.

I can see Axemen slipping under the balance cracks since they weren't really being seen before and stuff like Reset does really hurt them, but they easily run away with a game if weather can stick at all, and after weather sticks they can revive more to make it so even if the opponent has a Renew effect there's another growing out of control. And Veteran makes it so they don't die on round 3 from that.

Naar

It's even more than just bears and axemen since they also have all the revives, so you basically can't truly deal with their threats. Plus a silver revive for good measure.

I can see Axemen slipping under the balance cracks since they weren't really being seen before and stuff like Reset does really hurt them, but they easily run away with a game if weather can stick at all, and after weather sticks they can revive more to make it so even if the opponent has a Renew effect there's another growing out of control. And Veteran makes it so they don't die on round 3 from that.

Don't forget hjamlar, kambi, and morkvorg. They have too many viable options compared to other factions

I really think that Movement ST is nearly there. With just a few number changes it can be a very competitive deck.

Yea, just need to add more units that take advantage of moving

Papercuts

Depends on the deck, with a King Bran/clan raider deck you want Lugos

I'm using Crach an Craite with Morkvarg.

I have Hjalmar and Lugos can synergize as another way to kill off the giant but the ship is obviously good with the wolf so it seems like a hard call.

Zemm

I'd rather not rely on him to kill the 5hp minion without a Clan Raider tbh, that's the card which makes him so strong because in round 2/3 you can put out a 17/19 point swing, I'd rather use Holger Blackhand and/or a Alzur's Thunder for killing the minion Hjalmar spawns (or put him into weather, or clan drummund).

Exentryk

So last few hours of the full mill value period and I ended up buying another 7200 powder. I just felt uneasy as my scraps got below 1000 >.<

So now I have a good 14k scraps ready for any card that I may wish to use.

Also, I haven't played ranked since I hit rank 10. I'm still sorta trying to decide which faction to stick with. I have good decks for all of them, and they all seem to perform okay. But I'm still not convinced on which to go with.

Rahk

Also, I haven't played ranked since I hit rank 10. I'm still sorta trying to decide which faction to stick with. I have good decks for all of them, and they all seem to perform okay. But I'm still not convinced on which to go with.
You should start playing ranked as you get better rewards. Just play with whatever faction you feel like playing at the time. You don't need to just pick one. You can worry about picking specific factions to counter the meta later when you climb higher.

When you first start your opponents will probably be even easier than what you usually play in casual so you don't really need to worry. Once you climb a bit you'll get more evenly matched. Don't worry about losing, you just lose some MMR but your rank doesn't drop.

Make sure you've at least clicked on Ranked Match even if you don't want to play it yet as it places you and unlocks rewards.

Got a double legendary keg. First time that's happened I think. Got Shani in the initial 4 then a choice which included Tibor for a free 800 scraps.

Guess I can play some NR now if I craft Dandelion with that 800. Not bad at all.

Naar

Damn I am playing against nothing but skellige lol.

Literally 4 games in a row vs skellige. Then 1 or 2 other different factions, then back to 3-4 skellige.

Zemm

Damn I am playing against nothing but skellige lol.

Literally 4 games in a row vs skellige. Then 1 or 2 other different factions, then back to 3-4 skellige.

It doesn't help that Lifecoach and JJ's stream is just non-stop SK decks.

As soon as Swim started streaming some NR decks those decks started to show up in matchmaking when they were completely absent before. Still not enough for the ladder to not be 80% SK right now though.

Naar

After finishing a match got a pop up that said to login again for new update. But there wasn't an update. Checked a couple of skellige cards and they seem untouched. What was the pop up for?

Yoshichan

After finishing a match got a pop up that said to login again for new update. But there wasn't an update. Checked a couple of skellige cards and they seem untouched. What was the pop up for?
Maybe they hotfixed so that you can't get 100% refund for nerfed cards anymore?

frontovik

Banned
Just an FYI that CDPR is aware and banning for those who drop hack. It does exist.

Happened in a live stream to one prolific streamer.. Noxious

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i1o25/noxious_gets_scammed/

Well, drop exploit. Surprised this one doesn't have the drop announcement through.

For anyone still in denial about the exploit existence

[&#8211;]Burza46CD PROJEKT RED 13 points 7 hours ago

We are aware of this exploit and banning users who abuse it.

It doesn't help that Lifecoach and JJ's stream is just non-stop SK decks.

As soon as Swim started streaming some NR decks those decks started to show up in matchmaking when they were completely absent before. Still not enough for the ladder to not be 80% SK right now though.

That's because NR machines is actually a very difficult deck to play that requires a lot of thought. You can't just spam shit brainlessly like others.

Yoshichan

welp, this game was a fad

I'm done until the game gets fixed (which it won't, I have zero faith in CDPR). I'm not falling into the Hearthstone trap, which is I'll keep paying for expansions thinking that it'll get better.

[x] dead on twitch
[x] pro players disliking the game
[x] no sign of CDPR wanting to change some of this shit immediately

Yup, looks like we've got bingo.

Edit: also, I've always wondered. If something is deader than dead, how dead is it actually? People have been saying SC2's been dead for 3-4 years now... really makes you think, doesn't it?

iaABU5q.png

frontovik

Banned
The bipolarity of your posts never ceases to amuse and astound me.

CDPR is no Blizzard as far as I am concerned. The game is still in beta and will take time to gain momentum.

Syntsui

There's got to be a special place in hell for people that don't GG after a match, so freaking annoying.

welp, this game was a fad

I'm done until the game gets fixed (which it won't, I have zero faith in CDPR). I'm not falling into the Hearthstone trap, which is I'll keep paying for expansions thinking that it'll get better.

[x] dead on twitch
[x] pro players disliking the game
[x] no sign of CDPR wanting to change some of this shit immediately

Yup, looks like we've got bingo.

Edit: also, I've always wondered. If something is deader than dead, how dead is it actually? People have been saying SC2's been dead for 3-4 years now... really makes you think, doesn't it?

iaABU5q.png
LMAO get out of here with this bullshit, the game is in beta. Absolutely every balance is just to test the waters, SK could be nerfed from out of orbit the next patch for all we know, they are just analysing how to do it properly, what to buff and what to nerf to make everything as viable as possible. It can't be stressed enough that this is a beta and there is absolutely no marketing push in the veins of a game ready to be presented to the masses, CDPR has proved several times they care a lot about their games and I have absolutely no doubt that the future of Gwent will be bright.

Zemm

CDPR are definitely one of the better developers out there and they've earned being given time but from what I've seen the balancing has been really poor even for a beta. The next patch is going to be an important one because if we end up with one faction dominating again then that would be terrible for the game.

frontovik

Banned
I agree. Ideally, I'd like to see all decks being able to counter each other with smart play, instead of a dominant deck just abusing game mechanics.

Papercuts

I didn't follow the closed beta much but they still seem to be doing a lot better compared to how that was just looking at some of the old cards that seem totally busted.

Plus since then they've added some universal things (like the mulligans on different rounds) which has a huuuuge impact on the game. I'm not surprised if it's out of whack for a bit.

Is it supposed to actually launch this year? Because it seems like it still has some really rough issues within the game itself.

Exentryk

Honestly, the game has improved a lot in terms of balance. Previously you could gold promote cards into oblivion and carry those to the next round with the opponent having NO way to demote or counter those cards. We also use to have factions that could get card advantage multiple times. There were also a lot of last turn score jumps via multiple commander's horns which used to double a row's score.

I feel we've come a long way from that. There is still work to be done, but the game is heading in a more balanced direction.

One thing that should be looked at imo is the deck capacity. If there's zero incentive to run over 25 cards and most players are running just 25 to get golds/silvers then what's the point of it.

Deck capacity and what to do with it should be a huge focus moving forward imo. Honestly I think they should just move to a flat 30. Mandatory larger decks would prevent matches from being too "samey" which is a huge issue imo. It would also provide more variety in decks and force players not to rely on golds/silvers.

Exentryk

I like the consistency that 25 cards give. Having a larger deck size is basically adding more RNG.
With 25 cards, you still need thinning cards to be able to see all your cards every match, but this also allows for building strong decks that allow you to pull off your strategy consistently.

What the game really needs is a lot more (bronze) cards. This is where the main variety will come from. Perhaps once the main release goes live, we'll start seeing new cards more often.

Top Bottom