• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Overdoziz

Banned
What's wrong with the shooting mechanics? It's worked well in my experience.
Weapon being inaccurate as shit in general, but still being just as accurate while standing still and when running around. Everything time there's a firefight it's pretty much a shitshow who's gonna get the kill.

Weapon being inaccurate as shit in general, but still being just as accurate while standing still and when running around. Everything time there's a firefight it's pretty much a shitshow who's gonna get the kill.
I haven't had much issue with guns being inaccurate, sure blaring an AK full auto won't land you many hits at long range, but outside of that I get kills at long range without much issue, even with pistols. It's about as much of a shitshow as two people shooting at each other in any other game. They could stand to add differences in standing/crouching/prone, but it's hardly killing the game without it.

Not saying that it's beautiful, award winning, world class shooting controls, but it's entirely functional.

I've actually finally got used to it and can consistently kill people at range. Close combat is all about the shotgun though. It does feel clusterfuckish at time but I'm starting to see a bit consistency. The one who designed the combat (Whisenhunt) left to Twitch a few months back. Not sure who took over that job or what their plans are but it could definitely use improvements. At the very least we are getting better animations for everything. What i really want is for your big ass head to stop blocking your view when you are aiming at something below you.

Apt101

Man this game is infested with cheaters. In the span of an hour I ran into one who fled into the ground and proceeded to taunt me because I couldn't reach him, another who was clearly speed hacking, and a third who appeared to be teleporting. Doesn't make me want to invest time in building a base with so many casual hacks about.

Devs seem to be back on track. Big test server update.

This is a bit of a catch-all patch, in addition to the new features to you might want to validate your Steam Game Cache files in your Steam Library (if you haven't done it for a while). There are bound to be problems with some of the new features and buildings, so please chime in with anything that's .. unexpected.

New Stuff/Key Changes
The Item Exchange
The ATV first pass tuning - You have been warned - have fun - You will probably die - often
Ghillie Suits will appear in airdrops that have hunting rifles in them
Armor now works by blocking a portion of damage that would have been done. This absorbed
damage is applied directly to the durability of the item. When the durability becomes 0 the item will break and be removed visually and from the equip slot.
-Motorcycle helmets offer protection for the head and face. They will block about 50% of gunfire damage to the head or face. They will break after a shot or two.
-Tactical helmets offer protection for the head only. They will block about 95% of gunfire damage done to the head. They will break after a shot or two.
-Chest armor offers protection to the torso. They will block about 95% of gunfire damage done to the torso. More shots to break the armor is required the better the chest armor is. From worst to best is Wood, Plated, and Kevlar.
Hunting rifles are now in more of the Battle Royale airdrop crates.
Adjusted basic movement code for zombies for better movement and avoidance of each other
Shotguns have been tuned to be better used as a close range weapon. The cone of fire for pellet shots has been slightly reduced. Shots do not travel as far as they used to, and will do no damage after about 15-20 meters.

Some of the NPC movement enhancements:
NPCs attack while moving
Eliminated several “stuck states”, which would cause NPCs to become non-responsive.
Perpetually stuck NPCs trigger their own deaths after 1-2 minutes (we expect some videos).
Improved ground detection for the procedural spawner system.
Deer / Zombies on rooftops should be more rare.
Fixed empty foundation despawning to take expansions and socketed stairs into account.

Animations
Reworked several shooting, running, and reloading animations.
Adjusted melee to prevent character "lifting" when crouched
Adjusted in one-handed actions for smoother transitions
Updated the blended skeletons and animations for smoother transitions.
Adjusted sound markup for better sync with actions.

User Interface
Icons in descriptions are larger and easier to see (and should have better contrast)

Environment
Impact FX will better match the material types of objects hit.
Added a water-splash effect for characters when standing still in water.

Other bits
Fixed the 3rd person camera arm so it’s not blocked by arrows or spears
Shred timers are adjusted (insta-shred should be fixed for all)
Enabled door damage for guessing wrong password on PvE servers.

Gillie suit is cool looking. The hospital , ATV, female zombies are all on the test server. Hospital is huge and very detailed. Female zombies look way way better than the male zombies. They look more like the player models going from human to full zombie which is supposed to happen one day. ATV is really fun to drive but insanely loud.

4CBD83B604AA2BF2AD536A1623442421F80395E2

ChrisW

Just bought this last night, played about 20 minutes in a PVP server, got killed by a wolf in about 10 minutes. I had no idea how to run away, ended up crouching and couldn't figure out the key to stand up, died.

Good times!

Didn't meet any other players, but I'll be in tonight for about 2 hrs so hopefully I can start to build up a lot of gear.

I was however surprised by how well my comp can run the game: high settings at 2556x1440 resolution and it seemed really smooth, so atleast 30 FPS.

So far I have an axe, bow, big sword thing and a compass, so life is good.

Does anyone have any tips?

How do I display my fps?

Just bought this last night, played about 20 minutes in a PVP server, got killed by a wolf in about 10 minutes. I had no idea how to run away, ended up crouching and couldn't figure out the key to stand up, died.

Good times!

Didn't meet any other players, but I'll be in tonight for about 2 hrs so hopefully I can start to build up a lot of gear.

I was however surprised by how well my comp can run the game: high settings at 2556x1440 resolution and it seemed really smooth, so atleast 30 FPS.

So far I have an axe, bow, big sword thing and a compass, so life is good.

Does anyone have any tips?

How do I display my fps?
As a fresh spawn shred your pants and shirt and pick up some sticks. Craft a satchel, bow and arrows. Loot a lot of berries for food. If you see people run. PvP servers are absolutely brutal. Be very careful looting towns.

Tobor

I got some time to play this the past week with the Steam Controller. PVE so I could get a feel for the controls.

The game is coming along nicely! There are tons of zombies everywhere. Loot is good. It's viable to play PVE now, IMO.

So is this game dead? Or did GAF just stop playing?

Still a top seller and a top game on twitch. Has a large community as well. I decided to take a step back for awhile and wait for some big updates before jumping back in. They have seemed a bit lost in development last few months but they just got a new lead so hopefully they get a little focus back.

Still a top seller and a top game on twitch. Has a large community as well. I decided to take a step back for awhile and wait for some big updates before jumping back in. They have seemed a bit lost in development last few months but they just got a new lead so hopefully they get a little focus back.

Ah ok. Yeah I stopped playing about 6 months ago to wait for some changes and decided to check it back out today. Was hoping to find some folks on here to play with but alas

Stream Archive

Everyone starts on an ATV. There is a timer and when it reaches zero you must reach one of the very small "safe zones" around the maps or an explosive device on you explodes killing you instantly. The safe zones move around and the timer resets until there is only one person left.

Takes no event tickets. 150 people per server. 2 man and 5 man teams eventually. Will be on the test server in a few weeks.

Looks fun and very different from Battle Royale. The way the game is designed is to force people to actually fight constantly through the match and not simply camp it out.

oops thought this was in community.

JustinBB7

Stream Archive

Everyone starts on an ATV. There is a timer and when it reaches zero you must reach one of the very small "safe zones" around the maps or an explosive device on you explodes killing you instantly. The safe zones move around and the timer resets until there is only one person left.

Takes no event tickets. 150 people per server. 2 man and 5 man teams eventually. Will be on the test server in a few weeks.

Looks fun and very different from Battle Royale. The way the game is designed is to force people to actually fight constantly through the match and not simply camp it out.

oops thought this was in community.

This sounds really fun.

Roussow

Man, I'm pretty sure I hit well beyond the minimum requirements. But I'll boot up the game, and I'm immediately booted out of the game to a browser where it tells me I have "GAME ERROR - CODE G25", which basically means I don't hit the minimum requirements, I've restarted the game, my PC, I've updated my drivers, I don't even know. Anyone have experience with this?

Edit: Got it all fixed up with a reinstall, although coming back to this thread a week after my first post seems to tell me that Gaf isn't too infatuated with the game anymore, shame, it seems pretty neat, albeit limited.

psn

Is this game as dead as this thread here? Haven't played in a while (barely one year), any big updates I missed?

Top Bottom