• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

JustinBB7

This patch bring in new hackers into BR or something? Played 2 and died to hackers both time. 1 of them was noclipping and other shot me through the wall from outside without knowing where I could be. I was upstairs and shots came from way somewhere else outside.

Tobor

Has anyone been able to break down and craft ammo yet? I found a workbench, but couldn't figure out how to break down the ammo.

TheYanger

Has anyone been able to break down and craft ammo yet? I found a workbench, but couldn't figure out how to break down the ammo.

Right click -> dismantle. It's amazing and my ammo scarcity issues exist no more. So many 308 rounds have become other ammo.

You only need a workbench to craft it, you can dismantle it anywhere.

Tobor

Right click -> dismantle. It's amazing and my ammo scarcity issues exist no more. So many 308 rounds have become other ammo.

You only need a workbench to craft it, you can dismantle it anywhere.

Yes! Thank you!

Are there any permanent workbenches on the map or do you have to make them?

I've seen three so far out in the world. One by the police station and two in the campsite near the dam.

No idea if someone made them or if they are permanent, but I've found ammo at each one.

TheYanger

There are permanent ones, we were finding em in random town places right when the servers came up so definitely not player made.

Update Livestream

Servers will be coming down tonight at 3AM Pacific for 2 hours.
Patch Notes:
-New Crates in the account item list will glow and have an exclamation point until mouse over or if the notification is clicked.
-Medicine now restores a minor amount of health
-The number of zombies has been increased.
-There is a new "Feet" slot on the character loadout where players can equip workboots. Additional shoes will come soon.
-Zombies do slightly more damage to players and have a greater chance inflict bleeding
-Zombies do less damage against vehicles
-Punji sticks no longer damage players inside vehicle
-Stamina is reduced by a lesser amount when jumping
-The recipe for ground tamper now requires metal sheets, nails, metal brackets, and branches.
-Hitting players, animals and Zombies with the torch will now set them on fire.
Currently the only way to escape the fire is to wait (5 seconds for players, 20 seconds for zombies and animals)
-.308 Rifle Scope zoom brought from 5x to 3.4x.
-.308 projectile mass and drag decreased
-Equates to better accuracy at range
-The bullet land effects on most material types has been drastically improved for visibility.
-Missed shots will be much easier to spot for both the shooter and the target.
Restraints – FIRST PASS:
Handcuffs and Handcuff Keys can now be found in the world. Handcuffs may be used to restrain another player. Handcuffs must be placed in any of your weapon slots: Primary, Secondary or Tertiary. Left-Click mouse while aiming at another player who has his "hands up" (Default: F2 key). If you try to handcuff a player who doesn't have his hands up, you will be disappointed.
When you are restrained, clicking your mouse-button will cause you to struggle to get out. As it stands now, your chance to struggle increases each time you attempt to get out so the more you try, the better your chances.

To be set free from restraints, your savior must be wielding an item. For handcuffs, it’s a handcuff key. When they click you with the key, you’ll be set free and they will take possession of the cuffs.

This system is a first pass and we will be improving it in the upcoming updates. Look forward to new ways to remove restraints, new items to restrain people with, additional items to use on other players, etc...

-Session Stats Session stats are now visible on the Death screen.
For H1Z1:
Zombies Killed
Wildlife Killed
Recipes Discovered
Minutes Survived

For Battle Royale:
Players Killed
Vehicles Destroyed

Body Sim
Body Sim: Players now have endurance. Endurance will reduce over time on its own and sprinting will reduce it more. When endurance is low the player will begin to feel tired or exhausted, causing them to slow down in movement. You can restore endurance by resting in a bed. NOTE: You can only rest in a bed when you're feeling tired or exhausted.
Body Sim: Resting in a bed will give you a Well Rested effect, which initially restores 15% health and all endurance. It also gives you a brief increase in sprint speed and health regeneration.

Body Armor
A new equipment slot has been added named Chest Armor. To make use of this slot, two new recipes can be learned:
-Wooden Body Armor
-Plated Body Armor

To get started discovering the recipes, look for duct tape, which appears in commercial and industrial areas. This armor will mitigate damage when struck in the chest. The plated armor is more effective than wood armor. Damage is absorbed based on the attack type. Damage mitigation effectiveness from least to most:
Gun damage (Least)
Piercing/slashing melee
Blunt melee
Punching (Most)

Game keeps getting better.

Dead

well not really...yet
They werent kidding with that increase in Zombies

Me and some other dudes, ran through a town, only to end up chased by hundreds of zombies. Thankfully some guy saved us and invited us to his base.

Only for him and his friend to murder us once we felt safe :(

Just dropping you all a quick note about our spawning system, its current state, and our goals.

First, there's a balancing act we're doing on the servers. The number of critters, wildlife, and zombies pathing and doing physics in the game directly correlates to how much CPU is used on the server. This affects the server's frame rate (how often we tick the other systems like A.I., physics, interactions, and everything else the server is responsible for). So, there's some number of zombies, let's say Z, that is the mathematical cap of what we allow.

This means that not everyone can have their walking dead horde moment at the same time. Pushing too many zombies into the world can (and will) cause physics to get a bit wonky, at that's when things pop (or get pushed by other entities) through walls and doors, and other systems begin to experience lag.

We have built several systems that work together to populate the world. Three weeks ago, we patched in a new system to bias more zombie spawns toward player heat. This caused the hordes (which are good and bad ... I'll get to that). There were a few problems with this, which I tried to address in the next patch, including the ratio of wildlife to zombies over time. Unfortunately, the dormant (or virtualized) zombies got added into the math at one point, stripping the world of most of the zombies. This was the Big Dam Patch that scaled the number of zombies to the player population, but it had that math issue, so it was inaccurate. We bumped the scale in data a couple of times over the course of the week last week, but that was a band-aid until we did another big patch (this week).

For this week, the math was fixed, and I implemented several tools that allow us to tweak and test the number of zombies on the fly on our live servers. We've also come up with a few enhancements already that will improve the experience for the next patch.

For example, while some folks really enjoy getting a horde of 200 zombies chasing them ... it means that only (Z - 200) zombies are available for everyone else on the server.

This is one of the sources of seeing "STAHP! I can't leave my base!" v. "I haven't seen a zombie in 30 minutes of wandering". We're going to have an overall density cap for areas (which will be higher in the cities and lower in the forests) to address this.

As we improve the amount of CPU needed to process our A.I. and physics (which we do every patch), we can add more zombies (Z) into the world. We've increased this cap almost every patch so far. We're working on the other side of the equation, now that we have fixed the issue with the accounting math, to make it so folks are not constantly hounded outside the cities.

What we do that you might not see:
When no players are around, the zombies (and wildlife) are taken out of the processing in the world (virtualized), freeing up a "slot" so we can spawn another where the players can see and interact with it.

Spawns take into account player heat, item density, and the direction and speed in which the player is moving. There's no reason to spawn zombies behind a player moving away that will just be made virtual some period of time later.

We also try not to spawn things in obvious visual range of players. It doesn't always work, but anyone that played even earlier alpha shouldn't see zombies appearing "in your face", as they did then.
"Newbie" and out of the way areas tend to spawn slow moving zombies only, with a much higher rate of wildlife (slow movers can't usually catch deer, so there are more deer where the slow movers hang out).

Forest areas tend to spawn more critters and wildlife (rabbits, deer, wolves, and bear).
There is a number that the server population is multiplied by to get the current total cap of pathable things. Cap = Population * Scalar. Max Zombies = Cap * some percentage.

Max Wildlife = Cap * some percentage. Max critters = Cap * some percentage. This last patch made many of these numbers tweakable on the fly on running worlds.

Things we plan:
We want to implement a "clearance" system, which will reduce spawns in certain areas by how many entities have been killed in the area. i.e. Simulating running out of zombies. This will address the respawn issue for many people, so that when you clear some number of zombies (depending on your location on the map) it will bias the spawner away from your location for X amount of time.

We'll analyze our data on what spawned where, and adjust it accordingly. We can do this now that we corrected last week's math problem, and are getting good data.

We plan on more real-world behaviors for our wildlife. This is a larger undertaking, and will be reflected on our roadmap when we're working on it. This includes deer having gathering spots, watering holes, and migrating to daytime and nighttime hangouts, as well as having the predators behave accordingly.

It's a tricky problem making Z number of zombies provide a good experience like the movies and TV lead players to expect, when there are such different player population numbers across our servers and time zones. We're working hard on it, though! Your input is important; keep it up.

kcxiv

Zombies have gotten better especially in city/town area's. Pleasant Valley and Governers Mansion are insane with zombies. The Gov Mansion is a blast if you try to head out there solo or even with a buddy. Zombies flipped our vehicle and blew it up, had so many materials in the trunk too. Was bummed out! lol Partner died in the car i bailed.

Have had some good times in game for sure. once they put in female characters i thinkt he game is goign to change even more. The RP'ing is going to be funny.

Zombine

Banned
God damn, just had a wild moment in Battle Royale that was intense.

I landed in town and started looking for shit and I found a decent stash of weapons. After I left the building I heard shooting and I saw this car come barreling toward me. I started to open fire the guy goes "Stop! get in!" And I hop in with him and we start talking and I apologize to him and offer to give him a gun or two.

We drive maybe a quarter mile up to where those mansions are, and utter madness breaks out. Two guys start running around us and we freak and run into the house and everything gets confusing. One guy runs at me and I lose my friend, so I shoot him with my AR and then kill his buddy upstairs. I didn't notice my friend up there talking to him and I ended up killing them both! I was the real bad guy! Then I noticed bullets zipping in front of me and there was a guy picking at me from across the street, but I was already bleeding so I knew I didn't have much time left (I was at about 50% health and dropping) so I knew I had to finish him fast. I rushed over to the building made my way into his house, when suddenly some guy tries to jack my jeep so I unload on the vehicle and he pops out completely naked with an AR and starts shooting at me. I noticed that my health was at about 35%, and that I wasn't going to kill this guy, when suddenly the dude who was shooting at me originally decided to have a battle with the guy who stole my jeep and he killed him before he could kill me. Then he ran downstairs and we started shooting at one another like crazy and I died but I left him severely bleeding. This game dudes...

Hey GAF,

im tempted to get into this. I played DayZ Mod for a long time, I fell to the War Z hype (which must be one of the worst games I have ever played) and I got DayZ SA though im not playing it at the moment. Im somehow disappointed by how the SA developed in general.

How does this play compared to DayZ? From Twitch streams etc. it seems a little more faster paced which is a plus because I always felt DayZ to be a little too slow paced. I also never liked that huuuuuge map and still dont like the user interface in DayZ SA.

How is the development handled in general?

Hey GAF,

im tempted to get into this. I played DayZ Mod for a long time, I fell to the War Z hype (which must be one of the worst games I have ever played) and I got DayZ SA though im not playing it at the moment. Im somehow disappointed by how the SA developed in general.

How does this play compared to DayZ? From Twitch streams etc. it seems a little more faster paced which is a plus because I always felt DayZ to be a little too slow paced. I also never liked that huuuuuge map and still dont like the user interface in DayZ SA.

How is the development handled in general?

Controls and interface are definitely easier to get into than day z.

You can see the development https://www.h1z1.com/roadmap. They average a patch once a week. The first few months was about ironing out bugs and server stability and now they are starting to flesh out the game with more items and features.It's still buggy, and suffers from hackers etc but they actively ban them and continue to improve every aspect. The map is not as big as day z and they won't make it bigger till they add more to the existing map and raise the player cap per server. It has it's issues but it does improve every week.

Controls and interface are definitely easier to get into than day z.

You can see the development https://www.h1z1.com/roadmap. They average a patch once a week. The first few months was about ironing out bugs and server stability and now they are starting to flesh out the game with more items and features.It's still buggy, and suffers from hackers etc but they actively ban them and continue to improve every aspect. The map is not as big as day z and they won't make it bigger till they add more to the existing map and raise the player cap per server. It has it's issues but it does improve every week.

Thanks!

Virus is live
Release Notes
-Night vision goggles now available
-Added HE Grenades to the game.
-Known Issue: Grenades will not collide with players or zombies yet, nor will they break through windows.
-Explosive barrels are more reactive now to bullets and there no longer a delay from their initial explosion to killing nearby survivors/NPCs.
-Molotov Cocktail is now much more responsive and less prone to crashing clients when burning hordes of zombies alive… dead.
-Resolved various animation and timing issues with the Molotov cocktail.
-Resolved Molotov cocktail may not trigger 100% of the time when NPC’s / players enter the ring of fire.
-Only players in your group can build on your foundations / placed structures. This includes placeable objects like furnaces that were being used to grief other players.
-PCs now provide opportunities for zombies to feed when they die.
Inspect restrained inventory:
-When you handcuff a player you can now go through their inventory and take things, their stuff shows up in the proximity pane.
NOTE: Equipped items are not in the list yet, but will be in a future update.
Steam Friends:
Blue means they are online Green means they are in H1Z1
Right click for context menu:
Message – open steam overlay and send a message to this person Profile - open steam overlay and view this persons steam profile
And if they are on a server but not BR: Join Server – log into server that this person is currently on.
Moved character create from server select screen to it's own screen. This is where character customizations such as male/female, face types, hair, etc. checkbox added to server select screen to share your server with your steam friends
H1Z1 Virus - First Pass
You will now be able to contract the H1Z1 virus from zombies. Survivors have a natural immunity against the virus, but this immunity is weakened the more it is exposed to zombie attacks. Currently only zombie attacks reduce this immunity but other means can be introduced in the future based on feedback from the community. Survivors can bypass this immunity and give themselves H1Z1 via extracted infected blood. NOTE: Current implementation of the extracted infected blood syringe allows you to use it on yourself only! You cannot use it on other players.

This will change in the near future.
There are multiple stages to the H1Z1 virus once you have contracted it. The virus may not be as noticeable at first but as you advance to higher stages you will begin to feel its affects.
Once you have the virus, you have it for life. Only death or respawning will remove it. Each stage slowly progresses on its own but there are other means to push the virus forward or backwards depending on your actions or items you use.

Stage Progression:
Minor Stage
Slight damage over time

Advanced Stage
Minor damage over time
Survivor will occasionally cough. This can be heard by other survivors and may attract nearby wildlife or zombies.
(Non-PvE only)Zombies will no longer target you. However, attacking a zombie will cause it to attack back.

Severe Stage
Moderate damage over time
No longer coughing
(Non-PvE only)Zombies no longer target you
Max movement speed slightly reduced
Normal food no longer satiates you and normal water/drinks no longer hydrate you. Eating/Drinking them does nothing for you but upset your stomach, causing you to cramp up. Continued eating will cause you to vomit. You must feed from dead players, wildlife or zombies to restore Energy and Hydration.
Fresher corpses restore more to each resource and restore a little bit of health. Depending on what is you feed on determines the amount you restore. Bears offer the most while rabbits offer the least. Feeding on zombies will slightly progress your H1Z1 virus.
You will be able to feed off corpses a maximum of 2 times.
Survivor Tracking: Survivors at this stage of the virus may notice a gaseous effect in the world. This effect means that a survivor was in that spot recently. You can use these markers in attempt to track down other survivors. Survivors at this stage do not leave a marker themselves. Survivors also do not leave a marker if they are inside a vehicle.

Deadly Stage
Severe damage over time
Zombie Vision - First Pass - Currently we have simple color grading in as the first pass. You might see some of this effect happening as soon as the Advanced stage but it will become more apparent at this stage. We will continue to add more features and improve this vision in future patches.
(Non-PvE only)Zombies no longer target you
Max movement speed slightly reduced
Normal food no longer satiates you and normal water/drinks no longer hydrate you.
Survivor Tracking

Other related notes
All-in-One Cold medicine slightly reduces your H1Z1 virus. Antibiotics reduces it a little more. Hyperpheron greatly reduces the virus Immunity Boosters and Multi-Vitamins boost H1Z1 immunity to help prevent you from contracting the virus. This is bypassed completely if you use extracted infected blood on yourself. Guts will appear at dead survivors around the abdomen of the body after it has stopped its rag doll. Survivors with severe stages of H1Z1 will have the option to feed on the corpses of wildlife, zombies and the newly spawned guts from dead survivors.
Known Issues: There is supposed to be a progression bar on your vitals. Once you have H1Z1, this won't appear unless you log out and come back in.

kcxiv

They are putting in the female character early thursday morning 3am pst. That should be interesting. There will be alot of female dudes running around! lol

kcxiv

we were almost done with our 2nd base on the server we play on. Oh well, tonight and tomorrow its just time to drive around and kill everyone or get killed.

Pachimari

Searching on Google, I can't seem to find another OT for H1Z1. Is this the one were we are hanging out, even though the last post were on April 29?
Or is there another thread?

v1lla21

Searching on Google, I can't seem to find another OT for H1Z1. Is this the one were we are hanging out, even though the last post were on April 29?
Or is there another thread?

No, this is the thread. lol. I haven't played it in over a month so things should be plenty different now.

Pachimari

I haven't touched the game for a few months unfortunately, and I were extremely hyped about it before release, and I also bought it on release day.

Have they added any big features or mechanisms in the past 2 months?

v1lla21

I haven't touched the game for a few months unfortunately, and I were extremely hyped about it before release, and I also bought it on release day.

Have they added any big features or mechanisms in the past 2 months?

going off of the 2 patch notes on this page it seems to be different.

Tobor

I pop in to the game every couple of months to see what's different.

Biggest feature I need at this point is full controller support.

kcxiv

i still play, me and a few others have a few bases on a few servers. I play a little BR, not to much, still cant win one, Got 2nd place twice yesterday and got a 3rd just now. So close! My old ass will get a win someday! lol

Yeah. I won't fault the devs because they have added a lot and have improved the game across the board but I kinda just fell out of love for it after a few months. I'll still jump into a BR every now and then because it's great but the survival genre in general is a very stressful, frustrating and tiring genre that I think I'm move passed on for now(Don't play Rust much more either).

kcxiv

Yeah. I won't fault the devs because they have added a lot and have improved the game across the board but I kinda just fell out of love for it after a few months. I'll still jump into a BR every now and then because it's great but the survival genre in general is a very stressful, frustrating and tiring genre that I think I'm move passed on for now(Don't play Rust much more either).

i was watching Ceez streaming and one of the dev's was playing on the test server with him and he was talking about them taking away team's in battle royale. he said that when 2 people are together for to long they just explode. and die. lol. And if they are close to one another there wil be some beeping before they blow up. So i guess its going to be harder to team and there is no way they can get into cars together. lol

Ocho

i was watching Ceez streaming and one of the dev's was playing on the test server with him and he was talking about them taking away team's in battle royale. he said that when 2 people are together for to long they just explode. and die. lol. And if they are close to one another there wil be some beeping before they blow up. So i guess its going to be harder to team and there is no way they can get into cars together. lol

That would be unfortunate. Playing BR with friends is the only reason I still occasionally play and recommend this game. I guess they already got my money.

Why dont they just add a team BR mode?

June 9th Update
The stairs on the deck foundation have been removed. You can now craft foundation stairs and place them in multiple locations around the deck.
Added a new recipe for a deck ramp that can be placed in multiple locations around the deck foundation
Early Survivor Crate containing brand new items
Items will continue to decay after server restarts and game updates

June 16th Update
Party System – You will be able to join a lobby with your friends, from the lobby you will be able to join either an H1Z1 Survival server or a Team Battle Royale Server in the future
New Weapon – AK-47
Leaderboards for Battle Royale – Everyone will be ranked for now, in the future this will be part of a bigger system involving seasons which will be announced at a later date
Added a new recipe for a Watchtower that can be placed in multiple locations around the deck foundation
Radios (CB and AM/FM), Walkie-Talkies

June 23rd Update
Team Battle Royale will be available. Join as teams of 2 or 5 in this new version of Battle Royale
4 military outposts will be added to the current map.

June 30th Update
Professions – When creating a new character you will be able to select what his profession was before the apocalypse. This will give your character different stat bonuses and other unique things. Note that this will be a very early pass at the Professions system and will launch with just a few to choose from.

kcxiv

Its going to be team br's in 2 weeks, then they are makign regular BR's not teaming. I fucking hate teamers in BR. lol

kcxiv

You blow up if you run around without other players for too long or fight, etc.

Also can't get in others vehicles.
THat right there the vehicles part is going to cut back on teamers as it is. Today i had a 1 vs 3 and of course i lost, they just drove their car of 3 up to the top of the mountain and basically played king of the hill against me. There was nothing i could do. I tried a stun grenade then i went all kamikaze, it was the only chance i had. didnt turn out well. lol So i took 4th and i dont know what them filthy teamers did after.

kcxiv

What's the game state as of now? Worth picking up for 10€?

its alot better then it was just a month ago. it still has a way to go, but somethign they did last patch made this game run smooth as all hell. Im getting 60 fps on ultra now. I do have a half decent cpu though.

cant go wrong for 10 bucks.

What's the game state as of now? Worth picking up for 10€?

Devs deserve some credit. They have done really good with weekly updates and lot of communication. The game is smooth as hell and gets better looking every week. Big updates are planned. Well worth the investment.

Top Bottom