• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers use Uplay exploit to download PC games for free (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon leak)

Feature

Banned
I came across the hack on a cheat forum. There are a shitload of games on there... this is a distaster pretty much.

edit: I didn't use it, just read up on it.

Deadbeat

Banned
Ubisoft is always getting fucked by pirates. Wouldn't blame them for going always on.
Then they crack the game in 3 weeks like AC 2.

This leak could work out like the Deus Ex leak, which was basically nothing but praise and people discussing it on the official forums. Maybe one day ubi could be cool like that.

Ploid 3.0

Didn't they recently tone down the DRM on UPlay? Maybe this is a result and they will need to go back into dictator lockdown mode.

Dec

Didn't they recently tone down the DRM on UPlay? Maybe this is a result and they will need to go back into dictator lockdown mode.

It never stopped pirates and I doubt one of their tactics to ease up on the DRM would be to store shit like this client-side. Miracle this didn't happen sooner.

borius

Neo Member
MArketing stunt fro AC IV: black flag?

it was an interesting leak, but not as much as the 4-5 years ago leak with GBs of material about unannounced games like far cry 2 and more

Zeth

The game look insane, judging by the YT videos. The fact that it's still not announced just makes it crazier.

LMAO @ heal animations.

improve-grip-strength-hand-grippers.jpg

I can't register a legitimate product code I have for Uplay right now, because I don't want to risk it being confused as part of the hack and losing it.

Zia

It's really surprising to me that invasive DRM would only hurt paying customers while empowering pirates.

beast786

Like I have said in other thread. it's not leaked, its freaked stolen. I also can't get people stating its Ubisoft fault? making excuses for the low scum that stole people hard work

Codeblue

This seems unnecessary. It's only a matter of time before they accidentally start giving away free games again.

If a grocery store has an outside fruitstand it is not their fault if I steal an apple.

So I guess Sony wasn't at fault when people stole all the credit card info? Damn. they bowed for no reason.

You seriously make it sound like Ubisoft is a nice company that uploads all their files for public viewing.

Overbearing DRM type systems backfiring once more, sweet music to my ears.

Just because it's easy to do (I guess?) and the source of the files are official servers doesn't make it any less of a theft than using bittorrent to do the same thing. BUT there are probably groups of people who wouldn't normally bittorrent games that might do this, just because it feels different.

I'm happy to wait until these DRM to hell turds are 90% off and then pay them the few dollars they're worth in that state.

Dennis

Banned
So I guess Sony wasn't at fault when people stole all the credit card info? Damn. they bowed for no reason.

You seriously make it sound like Ubisoft is a nice company that uploads all their files for public viewing.

If the grocery store leaked my credit card info when I paid for my apple that would be bad. But I am not really seeing the similarities to what happened here.

Like I have said in other thread. it's not leaked, its freaked stolen. I also can't get people stating its Ubisoft fault? making excuses for the low scum that stole people hard work

You can't blame hackers for Ubisoft's security holes. You can blame them for the act (hacking), not for the cause (the "idontknowwhatimdoing.jpg" security measures of Ubi).

Dmented

Banned

He's just super anti-pirate man. This isn't even pirates, this is hackers exposing a security flaw. Isn't this uPlay's 2nd or 3rd security flaw now?

If a grocery store has an outside fruitstand it is not their fault if I steal an apple.

Yes, but Gamestop having a stand outside of the store would be their fault.

I mean, ultimately, of course pirates are the ones that are stealing but that is inevitable. Ubi's responsibility is removing the damn outside stand that's just begging to be plucked by pirates.

Dec

Not the same thing, stealing isn't the same as piracy, and it's more like a store having an apple cloning machine behind the store that no one is keeping an eye on.

Not the same thing, stealing isn't the same as piracy, and it's more like a store having an apple cloning machine behind the store that no one is keeping an eye on.

Oh man... haven't we all had this argument a million times already by now? If you may have purchased the game at some point in the future but downloaded it instead it's a monetary loss, if you would have never bought it then it's not... it's not clear cut but either way it's stealing.

beast786

You can't blame hackers for Ubisoft's security holes. You can blame them for the act (hacking), not for the cause (the "idontknowwhatimdoing.jpg" security measures of Ubi).

A hacker attempts to steal. it's irrelevant if the hack was simple or complicated. if you rob a bank and steal other people hard earn work its still a robbery, regardless if you did it on via Internet transfer or walked in with a mask and a shotgun.

A hacker attempts to steal. it's irrelevant if the hack was simple or complicated. if you rob a bank and steal other people hard earn work its still a robbery, regardless if you did it on via Internet transfer or walked in with a mask and a shotgun.

In this case, it's like me going to an estate agents with a bit of paper which says "I own this specific house, give me the keys for it", and then the estate agents giving me the keys. Who would you blame here?

Dec

Oh man... haven't we all had this argument a million times already by now? If you may have purchased the game at some point in the future but downloaded it instead it's a monetary loss, if you would have never bought it then it's not... it's not clear cut but either way it's stealing.

Ok? Shoplifting from a store is a great deal different than downloading a game. We have different laws protecting digital goods, call it stealing, call it whatever, but it's different.

It's like you're assuming I'm claiming it's OK to do or something.

But if I am the bank manager and ask my employees "ok how the fuck this happened" and they tell me "well.. you know that door in the back? When we leave the building we never lock it... It's been unlocked for the last couple of years.." surely you understand who I am going to be mad at. It's not going to be the thief.

RooMHM

Yeah. Digital goods are non-rival and non exclusive (without DRM). The cost of reproduction is equal to zero so the equilibrium price is zero too. You only have to pay for fixed costs but that's not something the market is able to do correctly.

I'm not justifying piracy but this is not AT ALL like stealing an apple even if it's not properly protected against stealing on an outside stall.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If only there was some online service that locked people out of pre-release games. Ubisoft wouldn't even have to run their own online service, they could just use that one instead. That way Ubisoft could focus on their core competencies instead of just splashing around making a mess trying to make a games distribution service.

Shito

But if I am the bank manager and ask my employees "ok how the fuck this happened" and they tell me "well.. you know that door in the back? When we leave the building we never lock it... It's been unlocked for the last couple of years.." surely you understand who I am going to be mad at. It's not going to be the thief.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be both, actually.

Top Bottom