• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Byte Loader: Fantastic homebrew and emulation on every PSP (including the Go)

Acosta

hey guys, I'm surprised brain didn't update already, but I will come to rescue: HEN is released.

http://wololo.net/wagic/hbl/

The HEN has been released using the Patapon 2 exploit. You can find anything you need (except the Patapon 2 demo) in that page. The good news is that you don't need to run the Patapon 2 demo anymore each time you want to access the homebrew, the HEN will act as Custom Firmware from the beginning and you will be able to run the apps from the XMB once you load the Patapon 2 demo with the special save once.

This opens the gates for ISO loading in a future (for those of you who want to play Kingdom Hearts on their Go or translate their UMD library to digital form) and other fancy stuff. Bad news is that, if you already updated to OFW 6.35, you are still out of luck, this only works for 6.20 and older ones. They are still working on the 6.35 one, so don't lose hope.

Raistlin

Actually the site seems to contradict itself? It seems up to 6.31 is actually supported.

I hope that's the case. I just found this thread now, and am sitting at that fw

AleeN634

Kenak said:
So that's a no then..?

I'm using a version from the PSN store. You just have to be careful since there's multiple versions of the exploit and you need to use the right one to match the store version you bought.

Epcott

OMG this thread... I thought my Go was useless as far as homebrew is concerned, but I see it's redeemed. Trying this out now! Thanks!

Raistlin

AleeN634 said:
I'm using a version from the PSN store. You just have to be careful since there's multiple versions of the exploit and you need to use the right one to match the store version you bought.
So you used Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee from the US PSN ($9.99)?

Which exploit did you use? HBL rev 101 Hotshots (US)?

BTW - I'm using FW 6.31

Ænima

I have a question, and I guess this thread is as good a place as any to ask it. Would I be able to play the Ghost of Sparta UMD on my 6.20 firmware psp? The demo works fine, but I'm not sure if the full game requires 6.31 because I do not want to update.

Epcott

I have a question too...
Is there a full list of Emus that work with HBL?

I'm curious if whether Project64 will work or not?

Edit: Ha, PC only, duh

Massa

Raistlin said:
Actually the site seems to contradict itself? It seems up to 6.31 is actually supported.

I hope that's the case. I just found this thread now, and am sitting at that fw

6.31 supports HBL to run homebrews. The just released HEN requires firmware 6.20 and the Patapon 2 demo, no other firmware will work.

HEN will apparently be ported to firmware 6.35 next.

Raistlin

Massa said:
6.31 supports HBL to run homebrews. The just released HEN requires firmware 6.20 and the Patapon 2 demo, no other firmware will work.

HEN will apparently be ported to firmware 6.35 next.
Guess I'll need to research this a bit. I don't know what the difference between the two is.

Blablurn

nice, i think i just bricked my GO :lol wanted to start the SNES emulator. screen stayed white. no reaction when pushing the home button. close it. the power light is still on but the screen is off and i can't turn it on \o/

nice.

EDIT:

Thank god! I works again, i made a hard reset... jeeez.

Jomjom

Banned
Just got a new PSPGo over the weekend. I'm going to run HEN on it. My PSPGo box lists some kind of offer for 3 free games (LBP, Socom, Ratchet and Clank); is there any way for me to redeem for those somehow without updating to the newest firmware? Thanks!!

tim.mbp

jling84 said:
Just got a new PSPGo over the weekend. I'm going to run HEN on it. My PSPGo box lists some kind of offer for 3 free games (LBP, Socom, Ratchet and Clank); is there any way for me to redeem for those somehow without updating to the newest firmware? Thanks!!

Do you have a PS3?

Takao

Banned
Just so you guys know, I just checked the PSN store on my 3000 and Go a few hours ago. Now I'm in the process of ripping my UMD-only games. It seems in North America, latest firmware is 6.35 (that may change next week...) which is what the Sukkiri demo exploit covers.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey brain_stew,
There's a much better snes emulator out. It's pretty similar to TYL (think it may be an updated version).
Runs games at full speed, etc. (atleast the games i tried)
It has frameskip on by default, but i turned it off and all games were smooth and fast.

SNES Euphoria R2.1
LINK
(please remove if the link is not allowed)

rowanimox

Neo Member
is the patapon 2 thing still required? i have a go running on 6.20hen t-c. is there an easier way to have these emulators working? i was reading this from work so i havent really tested the hbl thing. hope it works though.

thanks in advance!!!

rowanimox

Neo Member
i'm a bit confused. please forgive me for asking (this is my first time playing around with the psp), but what am i supposed to do to make emulators work? i did a bit of reading earlier. should i use homebrew enabler?

or should i just follow the 1st post but forget about the hbl thing?

edit: done a bit more reading and found out that HEN means homebrew enabler. ha, i feel so stupid right now lolz

I got a cross country flight coming up and was thinking about picking up a PSP-3000 from Amazon.com. Im new to this so I have a few questions.

1) Getting it new, is that going to ruin my chances of receiving a mod-able PSP?
2) Is the directions in the OP, which look easy enough for my simply brain to follow, still relevant and a way (or the best/easiest way) of modding a PSP-3000?

Spotted a PSPgo for $100 today. Very tempted to go see what the firmware is so I can run HBL on it.

So very tempting. Would be a total fluff purchase since I already have a PSP. :(

GhostSeed

Can someone walk me through this?

I want to use HEN 6.20 on a PSP Go.

Here's a picture of the files I downloaded.

2vw72mh.png

Now what file(s)/folder do I need to copy to and where.

Below are the folders on my Go.

2llhqc2.png

My Go is running 6.20 firmware.

NM for now I think I figured it out.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there anything like this for the latest post-sony-crap update? I got that to get the free PSN games offer (what a crappy selection btw. I don't even know what to go for when the shop goes up) and found that after leaving my PSP on for a few hours, the vertical lines the screen had (which is why I rarely used it) have almost all disappeared, there's just one very faint line left that won't cause issues in gameplay (unless it gets worse again) so I may find myself getting more use out of it in the future (FF Type-0 will be mine!). Can I also get homebrew on it or is it fully patched up now? I didn't really use homebrew before outside seeing if it actually works (it worked with some signed application that did a temporary change that reset after every reboot or something) but I do have my Wii modded and ued for all sorts of things so I know it can be cool to have if you find nice apps.

I picked up a Go today. It has 6.10 on it.

I tried Googling the 6.20 update, but failed. :\

Charging now.

Going to try copying over my PSP2 save file from the 3000 and load up PSP2 from the PS3.

I just bought a PSP Go off eBay since I have no faith in Sony ever releasing a couple of games I own on UMD. Is the latest firmware still an issue with homebrew? I haven't kept up with this subject since 2009 so I have no clue.

Crub

Sometime ago I bought a game that requires a newer firmware than I currently have on my PSP. As I have Half-Byte Loader, updating it would mean I would no longer be able to use it for homebrew.

Is there any way of getting around this, making the game playable without downloading the firmware?

Top Bottom