• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Byte Loader: Fantastic homebrew and emulation on every PSP (including the Go)

brain_stew said:
I was honstly quite surprised there wasn't a thread created earlier as this hack is several months old now. Saying that it is only recently that its really come into its own and that I've given it a proper go. When realised how awesome it was and that awareness on GAF was so low I felt I had to take matters into my own hands! Someone had to create this thread before every last person upgraded!

Well I'm thankful that you made a thread about it. Better late than never. Now hopefully someone will find another way to make it work on 6.30. I'd love to do this stuff on my Go.

Shaneus

A friend told me he saw a Youtube video of someone actually getting a similar exploit working on 6.30! But wisely, didn't show the game because then Sony would just patch that one too :lol
Better to wait for a major firmware release THEN mention it, I guess.

jayb

jayb said:
this worked perfectly last night on my PSP 2000 with OFW 6.20! I played NES Zelda on my PSP!

Does anyone have a good link to the SNES emulator? I tried downloading the "Standard Version" from the link in the OP, but it's returning an error. Is Standard Version the correct one to download?

http://www.qj.net/psp/homebrew-emulators/snespsp_tyl-042-released.html

bumping my question. Does anyone have a good link to download the SNES emulator? I'm getting a 404 error when I try to download from the link listed in the OP.

Firehead

jayb said:
bumping my question. Does anyone have a good link to download the SNES emulator? I'm getting a 404 error when I try to download from the link listed in the OP.
Here you go there's a download link in that list. Link's also in the OP, I believe. :)

jayb

Firehead said:
Here you go there's a download link in that list. Link's also in the OP, I believe. :)

Thanks! I was trying to download from this entry in the OP:

brain_stew said:

SNES Download (TYL 0.4.2)

Tips: This isn't quite full speed but try reducing the sound sample quality, maybe add a small frameskip and one or two "speed hacks" depending upon the game and most games should be near enough full speed

Shaneus

Just to clarify, I have nothing to lose by upgrading to 6.20 on my fat PSP-1002, do I? I can still downgrade if I want to with the Pandora battery if I want to use CFW? I'm testing a few homebrew apps and currently running 5.50 OFW, hoping that an upgrade will help.

Fabiollo said:
OP, thanks for this thread. Can't wait to see if LGPT works properly.

If it does could you do a little writeup like the other ones in the op that includes any necessary advice and a download link to the latest working version so I ca add it to the op. This is really what I'd like from this thread, for people to share which homebrew work with this exploit and whether they're worth checking out.

Shaneus said:
Just to clarify, I have nothing to lose by upgrading to 6.20 on my fat PSP-1002, do I? I can still downgrade if I want to with the Pandora battery if I want to use CFW? I'm testing a few homebrew apps and currently running 5.50 OFW, hoping that an upgrade will help.

Correct. The author of the exploit just recently made a post recommending it. Testing is now being focused on this firmware revision so this will be the best way to increase compatibility.

Zophar said:
How the hell do I get the NES emulator to work? It won't even show up in the menu.

Have you created a new folder (named "NES" or whatever you like" for the EBOOT.PBP)?

jayb said:
Thanks! I was trying to download from this entry in the OP:

You're the second person to have issues with SNES9X from that download link so I'm going to create a download link for my install to guarantee that it works for everyone. What does everyone recommend as the best hosting site these days? Is mega upload fine and do the download links stick around?

Edit: Full speed Neo Geo added to the op! :D

jayb

brain_stew said:
You're the second person to have issues with SNES9X from that download link so I'm going to create a download link for my install to guarantee that it works for everyone. What does everyone recommend as the best hosting site these days? Is mega upload fine and do the download links stick around?

just an fyi that the one at wololo.net didn't work either, but I found this one that works great on my psp 2000:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1261

Firehead

brain_stew said:
Mediafire, perhaps?

Fabiollo

Firehead said:
Oh, it does. :) Lost audio once, then it froze; however, that was probably my fault.

Yay! Installing right now. I was getting a little tired of LSDJ on the game boy. I'm sure I'll have fun with piggy.

Shaneus

brain_stew said:
Correct. The author of the exploit just recently made a post recommending it. Testing is now being focused on this firmware revision so this will be the best way to increase compatibility.
Awesome. As long as I can downgrade to anything using the pandora battery on the fat, I don't care. I just want to ensure the best functionality with what I've got right now.

IMACOMPUTA

The thing that allows you to play your psp through your computer is THIS

I really would like to be able to use that in order to play MGS: Peace Walker with a dualshock 3. I dont think it would work with HBL.

Got HBL running on my MGS:peacewalker big boss 3001 psp.
Works really well. Cave Story looks phenomenal on the psp! wow.
There probably isnt a way to convert a pc Cave Story save to work on the psp, is there?

Shaneus

That game I was testing? It was Ur-Quan Masters (aka Star Control 2) 0.6.2, R02. Did it work? Hell no, not even past a black screen. Heartbroken, I would adore a SC2 port on *any* handheld.

Going to see what Firmware Ys Seven requires before I deal with this, but I imagine workarounds will be rushed to account for any major game releases like usual. Still really neat.

-PXG-

Alright, so the icons for my apps are in the XMB, but won't let me load them. I have to load them through Patapon and then hbl. How (if you can) load apps just straight from the XMB?

EDIT

I know this goes without saying, but this is fucking AWESOME. Seriously, this is amazing.

IMACOMPUTA

-PXG- said:
Alright, so the icons for my apps are in the XMB, but won't let me load them. I have to load them through Patapon and then hbl. How (if you can) load apps just straight from the XMB?

EDIT

I know this goes without saying, but this is fucking AWESOME. Seriously, this is amazing.

The flaw with HBL is that you have to load the applications from the Patapon 2 demo.
Still, it is awesome.

jayb

-PXG- said:

change your config file to be something like PSP/Homebrew so that they don't show up in the XMB:

OP said:
By default your homebrew goes into: PSP/GAME (this can be changed by altering the config file in the "hbl" folder, recommended as otherwise you may get lots of "corrupt data" icons in the XMB.

Asparagus

brain_stew said:
Where are you based? If you're in the EU I'd say go for it, the 10 free game offer coupled with retailers slashing its selling price has made it a fantastic deal.

I picked mine up for ~£140!
Where? I'd be interested in picking up a Go for that price.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Looking at used PSPgos. The ones with games already installed on the device from before, I need to keep their PSN info for them to still work right?

54-46!

Corran Horn said:
Looking at used PSPgos. The ones with games already installed on the device from before, I need to keep their PSN info for them to still work right?
Yes, if you enable new games that you bought with your own PSN account those games are disabled.

Only one PSN active at one time.

Corran Horn said:

This'll also mean missing out on the free PSN games (3 in the US, 10 in Europe) so probably best avoiding imo.

Asparagus said:
Where? I'd be interested in picking up a Go for that price.

I got it off Ebay actually, quite a few Powersellers where selling new PSP Gos for around that price back when I bought mine, including Argos. Dunno, how much they're going for now.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
brain_stew said:
This'll also mean missing out on the free PSN games (3 in the US, 10 in Europe) so probably best avoiding imo.
Bah. I should have just bought a PSP go while I was in the UK :/

Guess ill just keep an eye out for a sale to come along soon hopefully.

If this will eventually lead to cfw on psp go I will be one happy camper. Ill finally be able to finish Crisis Core and we won't have to feel like buttheads when Birth Buy Sleep comes out. I was planning on borrowing my brother's phat for that one but I'd rather just buy the umd and get the game onto my Go.

Asparagus

brain_stew said:
I got it off Ebay actually, quite a few Powersellers where selling new PSP Gos for around that price back when I bought mine, including Argos. Dunno, how much they're going for now.
Looks like I missed out on that, I'll keep an eye out either way. Cheers.

Asparagus said:
Looks like I missed out on that, I'll keep an eye out either way. Cheers.

Yeah, it looks like the 1o free game promotion has increased the average selling price of new units. I suspected as much would happen which is why i snapped one up just after the deal was announced (but not live/promoted) and they were still selling really low. Heck of a bargain! :D

If I spot any good deals on Go hardware I'll post them in this thread.

Edit: Shopto are selling the console for £175 delivered with a £20 PSN card, don't think you're going to beat that deal atm.

-PXG-

GameStop sells used/ refurb Gos for $149.99. Be sure to ask (nicely) to check out the system before buying. Usually you do this to check the condition of the system, but in the case (for obvious reasons) you want to check the FW.

Looks like homebrew on 6.30 PSPs may be a reality sooner than expected:

http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/07/27/half-byte-loader-on-ofw-6-30/

Half Byte loader is currently being ported to take advantage of the new exploit found that isn't locked out by 6.30. It will require a specific game purchase (the exploit uses a commercial game not a demo) and there's no guarantees that this will work for the PSP Go but its progress nontheless. Nothing is guaranteed ofcourse.

Even with this news still DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PSP PAST 6.20 FIRMWARE.

IF YOU'RE ON 6.30 STICK WITH THAT. DO NOT INSTALL THE UPCOMING 6.31 UPDATE.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Looks like homebrew on 6.30 PSPs may be a reality sooner than expected:

http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/07/27/half-byte-loader-on-ofw-6-30/

Half Byte loader is currently being ported to take advantage of the new exploit found that isn't locked out by 6.30. It will require a specific game purchase (the exploit uses a commercial game not a demo) and there's no guarantees that this will work for the PSP Go but its progress nontheless. Nothing is guaranteed ofcourse.

Even with this news still DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PSP PAST 6.20 FIRMWARE.

IF YOU'RE ON 6.30 STICK WITH THAT. DO NOT INSTALL THE UPCOMING 6.31 UPDATE.

That's not really worth developing, usually games are pulled off the PSN store the moment an exploit is revealed.

spindoc said:
That's not really worth developing, usually games are pulled off the PSN store the moment an exploit is revealed.

Well yeah, but if its a popular game many people may own it already and it will work fine with the UMD version for people with older PSPs.

Wonder what Sony's response will be if its one of the games included in the "10 free game" PSP Go promotion! :lol

Glad to see all these exploits are still being found. Every time I poke my head into a PSP thread I hope for the mythical PSP 3000 CFW breakthrough, but this'll do for now, though. :D :D

I couldn't get my PSPgo to update via EBOOT so I'm stuck on 6.30 as well. :/
Hoping this exploit get released when I'm off work so I can grab whatever game it is that's required.

JimboJones said:
GBA has slow down and the Megadrive emulator has no sound :(

Cavestory works perfectly though :)

GBA speed should be damn near perfect in all but a handful of games that only drop a few frames here and there. PicoDrive also supports sounds just fine in Mega Drive games, CD support can be iffy. Have you followed the incstructions in the OP (including removing the frameskip from GBA games) and are you using the same versions I recommended?

Top Bottom