• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Byte Loader: Fantastic homebrew and emulation on every PSP (including the Go)

richisawesome said:
It'd be £40 for me,

2w7kfic.gif

How are you getting it so cheap? At that price I'd snap it up.

Rich!

brain_stew said:
How are you getting it so cheap? At that price I'd snap it up.

Where I work, preowned PSP consoles are £59.99. I get 20% off. That's £47.99. Which is pretty good - no one else can buy it anyway - it's a USA console which was traded in incorrectly, so we can't sell it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
I have no idea on earth how PS1 ISOs could be considered more intrinsically connected to piracy than NES/SNES emulators.
Yeah, since PS1 games are by far the easiest to rip, and NES/SNES ones... Uh, I will be shocked if someone could even explain how to rip them.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
brain_stew said:
By default your homebrew goes into: PSP/GAME (this can be changed by altering the config file in the "hbl" folder, recommended as otherwise you may get lots of "corrupt data" icons in the XMB.
how do I go about this? step by step for us "oh god a computer" people pls.... ._.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is good for late 2000's. 3000's, and the Go. But why use HBL over GEN/CFW if you have a 1000/pandora-able 2000?

Edit: Does HBL let you use CWCheat in POPS and PSP games? AFAIK, that needed CFW to run, last I checked.

Dragona Akehi said:
This is pretty awesome. Hopefully they'll get it possible to run games from memory stick soon, because the games run so much faster and give me more battery life versus UMD.

this is the feature i really like about CF... i would like to use this homebrew, but speed and saving memory are very important for me
hope they can add this feature in the near future

So, installing this makes it so you can't play new games on your Go? You won't be able to access the PSStore, and you won't be able to transfer stuff over from MediaGo/a PS3 because it will just ask you to update.

Blu_LED said:
So, installing this makes it so you can't play new games on your Go? You won't be able to access the PSStore, and you won't be able to transfer stuff over from MediaGo/a PS3 because it will just ask you to update.

Eh nope. You can't access the store from your PSP but both Media GO and the PS3 will work with a 6.20 firmware PSP just fine. No games currently require 6.30 firmware and since it was only just released I wouldn't expect them to for a while yet.

I bought a new game just a week ago (i.e. after the 6.30 update went live) and have transfered it to my PSP just fine. I've also used Media Go several times since then with no ill effects at all. There's no current drawbacks to this hack.

Gameboy415

I suddenly find myself VERY interested in owning a PSPGo.... :lol

I'll most likely use this on my FFVII: Crisis Core LE PSP. Thanks OP! :D

Shaneus

TheSeks said:
This is good for late 2000's. 3000's, and the Go. But why use HBL over GEN/CFW if you have a 1000/pandora-able 2000?

Edit: Does HBL let you use CWCheat in POPS and PSP games? AFAIK, that needed CFW to run, last I checked.
I only just got my 1002 (at 5.50 OFW) and ordered a Pandora so it's my only option atm

SmokyDave said:
Excellent topic. You might want to add the MVS emulator (by the same guys that did the CPS1/2 emus).

I would but when I tried it on my Go everything ran at half speed :/

Not really worth bothering with given that.

Jonnyram

So the day I can play Lumines on my PSP Go might not be far off then?
God damn, I hope they can do it. I would explode with delight.

Schlomo

Awesome news! I'll have to check my firmware version, but I'm pretty sure I didn't update recently. It's a shame it doesn't support PS1 emulation though, I refuse to re-buy PS1 games I already own so that I can play them on my PSP.

Luigiv

Are there any other homebrews that aren't just emulators and ports of PC games? I have absolutely no interest in playing those on my PSP.

It says in the OP that PS1 games won't work, which I assume means using whatever built in PS1 emulator Sony uses. Are there any unofficial PS1 emulators that do work with Half Byte Loader?

SmokyDave said:
Oh, bugger.

No mobile Twinkle Star Sprites for me :(

Scratch that I may have found a newer version that runs much faster but is still compatible! :D

Will report back once I'm done testing.

Ledsen

THERE IS HOMEBREW ON THE PSP GO? HOLY SHIT I... oh, no UMD backups :/ I really want the PSP Go for it's screen, but there's no way I'd get it without the ability to buy and then rip UMDs to play on it.

54-46!

Good stuff, there's a homebrew that enables a PC monitor to be used as an external display, will it work with this app?

I've got a PSPGo btw.

Rimshot

Hi,

I was just wondering. I have the full game of Pataon 2 on my PSPGo, will this still work with it or does it have to be the demo? And if so, am I able to have both the full game and the demo on the same system?

Rimshot said:
Hi,

I was just wondering. I have the full game of Pataon 2 on my PSPGo, will this still work with it or does it have to be the demo? And if so, am I able to have both the full game and the demo on the same system?

Has to be the (US) demo, and yes you can have both installed at once.

No45

Subsribed to the thread, hoping for this to become compatible with 6.30. I can't be bothered to re-CFW my PSP just so that I can downgrade to 6.20.

54-46! said:
Good stuff, there's a homebrew that enables a PC monitor to be used as an external display, will it work with this app?

I've got a PSPGo btw.

Don't know, try it! :D

A very large majority of homebrew does now work and one of the major reasons I created this thread is so that I can find out which homebrew applications others have running (and which versions work). I can't test everything myself and there's no real comprehensive and easy to browse compatibility lists anywhere that I can find so it'd be great to create that sort of resource with this thread.

Binabik15

Oh nice, my brother upgraded our CFW PSP last year :)/), but I can play GBA games again?! NICE!

Especially after my brother dropped his SP and then vent his rage over the whole incident by smashing the leftovers into tiny bits with a hammer :lol The original GBA I have is sooo bad in comparison.

PS: I still want to play the PS1 games I already own as physical media on my PSP D:

brain_stew said:
Eh nope. You can't access the store from your PSP but both Media GO and the PS3 will work with a 6.20 firmware PSP just fine. No games currently require 6.30 firmware and since it was only just released I wouldn't expect them to for a while yet.

I bought a new game just a week ago (i.e. after the 6.30 update went live) and have transfered it to my PSP just fine. I've also used Media Go several times since then with no ill effects at all. There's no current drawbacks to this hack.

But what about online games? We can't connect to PSN without updating, so games like Monster Hunter are off I guess? :|

suikodan

I tried the latest HBL on my PSPGo and fired up some emulators but it seems to be slow as hell.

I figured that it would be because there are no options for 333mhz but I want to know if any other Go-owners are experiencing the same slow performances.

suikodan said:
I tried the latest HBL on my PSPGo and fired up some emulators but it seems to be slow as hell.

I figured that it would be because there are no options for 333mhz but I want to know if any other Go-owners are experiencing the same slow performances.

Everything in the op (except SNES) should run full speed. They all have a 333mhz clock option but not all of them need it.

Slime

Banned
brain_stew said:
Plus, are you actually on firmware 6.20?

Yeah, I was just putting the HB stuff in the wrong folder. My bad.

I've tried everything in the OP so far and it works wonderfully. This is fantastic.

So good being able to use some homebrew on my Go. I have some of the, er, riskier stuff running on my PSP-2000, but I always get so anxious when I fiddle around with it that lately I haven't been doing much with it. Being able to do some of that same stuff risk-free is a huge bonus. Thanks for sharing this!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, not what I had hoped, but still good. I really wish they could figure out UMD backup and PSOne support for PSPgo. I have a huge UMD collection and have ripped a lot of my PSX games as well. I would love to use them on the Go hardware. It's a nice device for sure, but limiting it to PSN pretty much killed it for me.

dark10x said:
Well, not what I had hoped, but still good. I really wish they could figure out UMD backup and PSOne support for PSPgo. I have a huge UMD collection and have ripped a lot of my PSX games as well. I would love to use them on the Go hardware. It's a nice device for sure, but limiting it to PSN pretty much killed it for me.

Well, I'd gladly pay for some kind of UMD adapter that would let us copy games from UMD to the PSPGo internal memory BUT would require a PSN connection so that it would register the UMD's serial number or something so that it allowed only one transfer of that game at a time.

Wonder why Sony didn't do this already. Would be a money pit.

Lyonaz said:
Holy shit at the CPS1 and 2 emulators.

And woohoo I can finally play my snatcher for the sega cd!:lol

What you say?? Picodrive reads SEGA CD games??

Why couldn't this thread have popped up sooner? I upgraded my firmware the day it was released. Wish I could get some homebrew working on it but it looks like I'm screwed.

HarryDemeanor said:
Why couldn't this thread have popped up sooner? I upgraded my firmware the day it was released. Wish I could get some homebrew working on it but it looks like I'm screwed.

I was honstly quite surprised there wasn't a thread created earlier as this hack is several months old now. Saying that it is only recently that its really come into its own and that I've given it a proper go. When realised how awesome it was and that awareness on GAF was so low I felt I had to take matters into my own hands! Someone had to create this thread before every last person upgraded!

Firehead

brain_stew said:
Plays them back at full speed as well. :D
Were you able to get the .mp3 playback to work properly? It keeps giving me an error; and that's using a .cue.
What version of picodrive and settings, if you don't mind me asking?

Firehead said:
Were you able to get the .mp3 playback to work properly? It keeps giving me an error; and that's using a .cue.
What version of picodrive and settings, if you don't mind me asking?

Actually, I have had some issues with that as well, not tested many games but it seems to be picky with audio files. I've seen numerous reports of it working properly so I think its just a case of getting the audio properly encoded. The version of Picodrive I use is linked in the op. There's some discussion in that "15 top homebrew by HBL creator" article's comments about how to increase compatibility but I haven't spent much time tweaking/testing yet.

Calcaneus

Awesome, worked perfectly on my PSP 2000. Too bad my analog nub is ruined so it made trying to play/select anything a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom