• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 just got a 6 GB update

The thing with Valve games between Half Life 2 and The Orange Box is that they all shared core engine files. This is incompatible with Steampipe, so unfortunately each of these games will require a redownload which includes their own independant version of Source.

stuminus3

Here's my theory:

In the new ending Gordon arrives at a mining town as himself on the date and exact hour he was born. Patrons of the town bar look familiar from past Half-Life games, but with different names, other patrons seem to be leapers, and Al the bartender (played by Jack Black) implies that he might be God, Fate, or Time. While trying to figure things out, Gordon has to help save some trapped miners, regain contact with Al, and learns that he can and has always been able to return home whenever he wants. He agrees to continue leaping, in exchange for the chance to go back to when he met Al's wife on a previous leap and tell her that Al is still alive. In the end, Al and his wife remain together and have four daughters while Gordon never returns home.

Oh, boy!

Oh, boy!

image.php

Don't smoke kids! Unless you're on fire. Then it's only natural.

EP3 quitely slipped in with no announcement of any sort. Those curious enough to complete EP2 now are greeted with the beginning of EP3 content.

yFtNOLi.jpg

The thing with Valve games between Half Life 2 and The Orange Box is that they all shared core engine files. This is incompatible with Steampipe, so unfortunately each of these games will require a redownload which includes their own independant version of Source.

that makes sense.

Purkake4

Banned
This time you play as Breen. There is no combat, you make all the hard choices that he had to and slowly learn to sympathize with him.

"Tell me, Dr. Freeman. If you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?"

HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HOPEHL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3GABENPLZBEKINDHL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3HL3H

L.O.R.D

maybe is 6 GB update to replace damaged files ( audio files )
some one check the size of the game before and after the update

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
maybe is 6 GB update to replace damaged files ( audio files )
some one check the size of the game before and after the update

I assume this "update" is just ~6GB worth of VPKs in anticipation of the upcoming move to SteamPipe, which has the intended side-effect of detaching older Source titles from the archaic shared GCFs.

You can look at the file structure yourself to see the difference. It's just a conversion to SteamPipe. That way multiple users on the same PC share the same data.

JaseC

You can look at the file structure yourself to see the difference. It's just a conversion to SteamPipe. That way multiple users on the same PC share the same data.

Steam already browses the steamapps folder in general for existing data; it doesn't need to be in the common folder.

I assume this "update" is just ~6GB worth of VPKs in anticipation of the upcoming move to SteamPipe, which has the intended side-effect of detaching older Source titles from the archaic shared GCFs.

I don't think it's anything at all. If you check around many people didn't get any update, for some it was a tiny one instead of 6GB big, and steamdb can't even detect any update that occurred in the previous 24hours. http://steamdb.info/apps/

JaseC

I don't think it's anything at all. If you check around many people didn't get any update, for some it was a tiny one instead of 6GB big, and steamdb can't even detect any update that occurred in the previous 24hours. http://steamdb.info/apps/

I know it wasn't a universal thing, and the "update" not showing up in the registry could just mean that the necessary backend work has already been done; or, sure, Steam bugged out and it's nothing (certainly wouldn't be the first time)!

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
I don't know where OP got his update from, but there was no update. Just look at this: http://steamdb.info/app/420/

I confirmed, the website is not being slow, or lost anything. This is not SteamPipe update. There was no update.

Here's my theory:

In the new ending Gordon arrives at a mining town as himself on the date and exact hour he was born. Patrons of the town bar look familiar from past Half-Life games, but with different names, other patrons seem to be leapers, and Al the bartender (played by Jack Black) implies that he might be God, Fate, or Time. While trying to figure things out, Gordon has to help save some trapped miners, regain contact with Al, and learns that he can and has always been able to return home whenever he wants. He agrees to continue leaping, in exchange for the chance to go back to when he met Al's wife on a previous leap and tell her that Al is still alive. In the end, Al and his wife remain together and have four daughters while Gordon never returns home.

Oh, boy!
I like you.

Linux support?

Not that I can see. I'm using Linux Mint right now, and I don't see any new options to enable a HL2: Episode 2 beta. Though, the Left 4 Dead 2 beta is now available in Linux :p .

This is probably a Steampipe conversion, as others have pointed out, though I'm sure some people are digging through the new update to try and see if Valve added any extras. like they did when they dropped clues to Portal 2 in Portal 1.

I don't know where OP got his update from, but there was no update. Just look at this: http://steamdb.info/app/420/

I confirmed, the website is not being slow, or lost anything. This is not SteamPipe update. There was no update.

That is really odd, because yesterday I received an update for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and I didn't really think anything of it. I can't go back to my steam download history to prove it happened, because I have restarted my PC since then. But there was a pop-up in my Steam browser that said I received an update.

Jinroh

Nah sometimes it says there a x amount of gig update but it's just the size of the game and barely anything has been downloaded.

Maybe it's the case here?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Usually whenever updates like this happen on steam it's because they're updating something directly to the executable and I think that it has to completely rewrite most of the major files or at least that's sort of what I was told when Bad Company 2 had an 8 gig patch.

Basically it isn't a patch, it's a retweaking of files.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Top Bottom