• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 RTX - An RTX Remix Project Trailer | CES 2024

Senua

This looks good. I am in. I never played half life 2.
Embarrassed Shame GIF

Is there a 4k video anywhere? 1080p youtube compression looks like donkey dung

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Wonder if this could work with the excellent VR mod.

If so, putting them together you'd get an almost Alyx-level VR journey through the original.

The VR mod was so good already--impossible to play the original once you experience that--so I only imagine playing it with this upgrade.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kinda disapointing.
I just replayed hl2 and... those of you who played hl2 like me over and over again but didn't do so in last 3-5 years.... maybe let it go and keep your good mmories :p

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This looks good. I am in. I never played half life 2. So will be a good starting point for me as I am allergic to ugly graphics.

Same as you. I tried HL2 a few times and couldn’t get into it at all.

I tried HL1 with Black Mesa and I got like 60% of the way though and didn’t get the appeal at all. Felt like a big nothing burger.

I assume we both need to play HL1 to “get” HL2, but I’ll just have to watch a YT video recap and hope it does it justice.

Hudo

What strikes me about this trailer is how good the original still looks.

Some games are timeless.
I agree. Half-Life 2 is really one of these timeless games. I still play it from time to time and it is still great fun.

But it also hurts because..you know... Half-Life 3...

nikos

I remember getting bored with Half Life pretty quickly when it released but I’ll give it another shot.

I wouldnt say HL2 still looks "amazingly good" Even back then on release it had the most blurry washed out textures, you can literally count pixels so imagine how obvious that is 20 years later. Anyway I wish they added these projects to consoles especially since Orange Box has been delisted so unless you bought it before, you cant play HL2 on xbox.....or PS.

You'll always find people calling things overrated dude you just gota try them yourself. But the vast, vast majority of people who have played Half Life 1&2 love them
the fact that HL1 and 2 was ahead of its time on the graphics side was a major factor, back then it was incredible!
so yeah, maybe if someone tries it today and dint see the evolution of games could be the reason they call it overrated

DryvBy

This looks good. I am in. I never played half life 2. So will be a good starting point for me as I am allergic to ugly graphics.
Just wait until you get to the driving bits. It was horrible then and aged really bad today. I love HL2 but let's be real with that segment lol

bender

What time is it?
I've seen people calling HL 1 and 2 overrated. I love HL1 but 2 was a mixed bag for me. But i can't remember 2 very good so i will be playing it again.

I don't think the series recaptured the greatness of the original until Episode 2. Even still, Ravenholm RTX will be a treat.

CamHostage

Looks amazing, and I love how it keeps the identity of the original.

Eh, it changes he identity of the original a bit. The paint cans for instance have a specific brand logo in the game, but then they get replaced with general library paint cans (I assume that's where they're from) and the branding is changed. It's a little thing, one of those who-cares changes (and it looks like the label might still say "Flavia" in smaller print,) but there's a number of little things like that seen to be changed just in the video. (This is being done by a fan group of modders under Valve/NVIDIA supervision, so ultimately the updates will be respectful, but details were one one way originally for a reason.)

uY5SSij.jpg

Not a big deal, overall they're doing a nice job capturing the vibe and relighting/redressing the scenes, but thankfully it's on PC and you can choose to run the original or the mod, I don't think this RTX Remix will quite be held universally as the definitive version.

Last edited:

Rubim

I've seen people calling HL 1 and 2 overrated. I love HL1 but 2 was a mixed bag for me. But i can't remember 2 very good so i will be playing it again.

Wasn't Half Life Alyx kinda HL3?
It's a prequel that changes the ending of HL2 EPISODE 2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree. Half-Life 2 is really one of these timeless games. I still play it from time to time and it is still great fun.

But it also hurts because..you know... Half-Life 3...
About that… I just replayed it on Christmas and for the first time ever it dragged on. It began aging. I don’t know why now out of tens of replays I did of that game. It’s my tradition to play it between Christmas and nye

Hudo

About that… I just replayed it on Christmas and for the first time ever it dragged on. It began aging. I don’t know why now out of tens of replays I did of that game. It’s my tradition to play it between Christmas and nye
Had the same experience with Command & Conquer Renegade last year. It's a bit sad.

Kikorin

Source engine is timeless. RTX can add something, but the game still looks awesome and this is from 2004. Released 20 years ago and still unbeliveable, especially if you put in the physics stuff that are unmatched in other FPS.

Last edited:

Skifi28

What happened to Morrowind remix? I don't think I've heard anything about it again. I don't care about being impressed by a fancy trailer/tech demo, are these things actually releasing at some point?

Last edited:

Puscifer

What happened to Morrowind remix? I don't think I've heard anything about it again. I don't care about being impressed by a fancy trailer/tech demo, are these things actually releasing at some point?
RTX Remix tool enters beta at the end of the month, good chance a literal modder will get it done before the official one. All I want to know is how easy it is to use because I wanna get some folks together for New Vegas RTX at this point

Top Bottom