• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX Remix Open Beta is now avaliable

Senua

PC game modding is colossal - over 10 billion game mods are downloaded each year. Mods enhance graphics as faster GPUs are released, extend a game’s lifespan with new content, and expand their audience with total gameplay conversions.

With NVIDIA RTX Remix, we’re enabling modders to remaster their favorite classic games with full ray tracing (also known as path tracing), NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex, modern physically-based rendering (PBR) assets, and generative AI texture tools.

Starting now all modders can download the NVIDIA RTX Remix Open Beta, for free. Simply, download the Omniverse Launcher, search for RTX Remix on the “exchange” tab and download/install it.

So they're releasing the tools to the community now?

So that means we should expect RTX mods for some of our old favorites in the hopefully near future?

We would be able to download these mods for free after they come out?

Puscifer

Seriously, if anyone's down to do New Vegas HMU, I wanna get a group together and we work on it.

So they're releasing the tools to the community now?

So that means we should expect RTX mods for some of our old favorites in the hopefully near future?

We would be able to download these mods for free after they come out?

Yes, someone's already got a Max Payne one out in the wild.

Last edited:

Red5

Eh doesn't really work well for old games, the effect is contradictive, great ray traced lighting and texture upgrades clash with low geometry detail and outdated animation.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Eh doesn't really work well for old games, the effect is contradictive, great ray traced lighting and texture upgrades clash with low geometry detail and outdated animation.
I think it looks great with Tomb Raider 1 and that's without the full release. Also Remix allows assets replacement so we should see some pretty amazing stuff.

Could this work with RDR2?
Nop, it's only working with games up to Dx9.

CamHostage

I disagree, Quake RTX looks fucking awesome with the low poly models

A lot of great can be done with this!

Also, it's not just lighting and texture updates, RTX Remix has potential answers for the low geometry detail and outdated animation too (and other aspects of games.)

It can fully replace models in a scene. Remix scans a scene for assets in the game and allows you to change what you want. Remodel an asset yourself, add displacement or other effects to its surface (and the area around its surface, if you potentially added a hair shader to a character with previously flat modeled hair,) replace it completely with a similar marketplace/AI-generated model, or change its motion properties. (Technically, NVIDIA has this to say about animation: "Remix still can’t actually replace an animated mesh, but that’s relatively straightforward to do if the mesh is GPU skinned- it is on our roadmap to address in the future." But it's technically doable, and even currently some animated elements can be modified albeit they cause glitches since they don't match the expected original meshes.)

You will still have game worlds of the same size and density; a Morrowind town will still have the same 12 people milling about. If an old game feels claustrophically small to you today it'll be the same after Remix. (I don't see Remix adding in like procedural crowds or practical objects that the original game doesn't track in its code, it's designed to 1:1 replace everything that Remix can find in a game scene and then run more or less the same, but maybe some hacky tricks will be added into remixes for fun or grandeur too? You could also potentially add shader and displacement and surface model tricks to add life and even detail to a world, so for example a barren GTA alleyway might be able to have modded-in trash to look a little busier?) But whatever is in the old game, it can potentially be redrawn, resurfaced, relit, remodeled, and replaced to look more like what you're used to today.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Unreal please!

...Doesn't need Unreal; it runs in the games that already exist in the engines they exist in.

The primary requirement is "DirectX 8 and 9 games with a fixed function pipeline for compatibility," so if a game fit that spec, you load it up and then RTX Remix scans it and finds all the assets in the game world, from there it then opens the door to NVIDIA Omniverse to redo or find replacements for what you see.

Unreal games already have a good amount of ways to hack/patch them. (And, to be fair, so do older games, but never as readily as RTX Remix and the generative AI tools. You yourself could make a half-good AI-generated remix of GTA 3 right at home...) This more just makes it easier to access and to find AI swap material.

Sort of like the 3D NES app 3DSEN, the game runs mostly the same in the code, it's just that how you see it on screen changes from what's injected into it.

(*I'm not 100% sure if RTX Remix actually has a separate asset set that permanently replaces the game assets or if it just swaps them in the asset call, so it's not really the same, but similar principle. There's even console patches out there where FMV is remastered or textures are upgraded or even models are redone...)

Last edited:

Chiggs

...Doesn't need Unreal; it runs in the games that already exist in the engines they exist in.

The primary requirement is "DirectX 8 and 9 games with a fixed function pipeline for compatibility," so if they fit that model, you load up the game and then RTX Remix scans it and finds all the assets in the game world and then opens the door to NVIDIA Omniverse to redo or find replacements for what you see.

Unreal games already have a good amount of ways to hack/patch them. (And, to be fair, so do older games, but never as readily as RTX Remix and the generative AI tools. You yourself could make a half-good AI-generated remix of GTA 3 right at home...) This more just makes it easier to access and to find AI swap material.

Ha, I think we've crossed wires. There's a game called Unreal. It came out in the late 90s. I liked it very much and would like to see it running RTX Remix.

CamHostage

Ha, I think we've crossed wires. There's a game called Unreal. It came out in the late 90s. I liked it very much and would like to see it running RTX Remix.

...Oh, ha! My bad.

Yes, of course, 1998 Unreal, remix it!

...Unfortunately, Unreal was an OpenGL game instead of DirectX (though there are unofficial patches for DirectX 9) so there could be some logistics to work out.

In the meantime though, there are some ReShades out for Unreal/UT, and there have even been efforts to port the original games to modern Unreal Engine (although Epic wouldn't let that just be out there because that would be too fun.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom