• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: VR Mod - Episode One — Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Return as Gordon Freeman to City 17 and deal with the consequences of your actions. Operate the gravity gun to deadly effect, battle gunships and striders and survive the darkness. Can you manage to escape City 17 with Alyx?

Half-Life 2: VR Mod - Episode One is a community-made adaptation of Valve's episodic continuation of Half-Life 2, transformed into a fully roomscale Virtual Reality experience.

Half-Life 2: VR Mod - Episode One requires you to own the original Half-Life 2: Episode One on Steam and is scheduled to release Q1 2023.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool stuff, really liked my run on VR when it came out on EA.

Might wait until it's 100% finished before giving it another go, which means not only having EP1 and 2 available, but also all the things that were missing when I first played it, like some missing animations, and some 3D models needing a rework (it's almost impossible to aim with the pulse rifle)

Drizzlehell

Banned
How does this compare to Half-Life: Alyx? Did they change anything to actually make it a worthwile VR game, or is this just another one of those VR mods that don't really bring anything new to the game except the change in perspective?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh wow, okay. Having played a number of VR mods for classic FPS games and only being somewhat satisfied only by one of them (i.e. Alien Isolation), I expected this to be just another one of those curiosities that were fun to check out but I'd never play them in VR from start to finish. But I can see now that I absolutely need to try this.
Do it! It's great, just make sure to check out if everything you want is already implemented.

I tried it when it came out and had a lot of fun, think I made it up to when you escape from Nova Prospect, more or less.

Thing is, even if I was having a good time, I missed some stuff like for example the shotgun model displaying my left hand on the grip while grabbing it, instead of just the shotgun 3D model and no hand. Sounds like a small detail but it made reloading the shotgun feel kinda jank.

Buggy Loop

They just updated Half Life 2 VR today to support teleportation controls ala Alyx

Teleport movement

We are happy to finally be able to add a teleport movement option to the game. This has been in the works for a couple of months and proved a significant challenge - as the game was never built for teleport movement, there were countless edge cases to overcome to build a robust pathing system for the teleport as well as a number of gameplay elements that needed special care to work with teleport. The end result is by no means perfect - in fact, we consider it
experimental
at this time - but it should perform reasonably well for the majority of the game.

You can enable teleport movement in the controls options. You can either choose teleport movement exclusively, in which case both the movement stick as well as the jump key will instead be used to select a teleport target. Or you can choose to retain regular movement on the movement stick and only replace the jump key with teleport.

On land, teleport targeting should mostly work as expected. You may need to point upwards a little to "jump" onto obstacles, and you need to point downwards if you want to drop from greater heights. Note that you also need to crouch (either in real life or with the crouch toggle key) to teleport into vents and other places with limited vertical space.

In water, you can teleport in any direction. Point downwards to dive into the water, and upwards to return to the surface. Point upwards towards land to get out of the water.

For ladders, stand at a slight distance in front of them and point the teleport up or down towards the ladder. An arrow will light up and show you which direction you are going.

Important
: please understand that selecting teleport movement will *not* eliminate any and all artificial movement in the game. Due to the game's design, the player is ultimately subject to events from the physics engine. Some enemies can push or even launch you back, and you will slide on certain terrain. So please be prepared for that. We do hope that the teleport movement will allow you to stomach these generally rare occasions.

Crazy what the community is doing for mods, god i love PC.

Soon as i finish the basement, i'll have a cool VR place tethered free, i'm gonna play Half life 2 + episode 1 + Alyx again.

Puscifer

Like every amazing looking player mod, I'll file it into the back of my head till it's actually done to not get my hopes up

Drizzlehell

Banned
Mod? Give us a full-blown gaddam remake for crying out loud.
pipe-pipe-down.gif

Keep your shirt on, dude, this mod is fucking amazing.

Last edited:

Romulus

Playing through 2 vr right now, easily the definitive version of the game

The world in VR is fucking massive. One of the few old games that wowed me over and over. When the music kicks in fighting through the city with the resistance. :messenger_open_mouth:Hasn't been done better in any game since. Truly awesome to be able to play that game with so much polish in VR.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol, this reminded me it's been ages since I played HL2 in VR on an Oculus VR headset. It was great, but only in short bursts because it also came with plenty motion sickness. Hmm, maybe I'll check this new one out actually..

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Lol, this reminded me it's been ages since I played HL2 in VR on an Oculus VR headset. It was great, but only in short bursts because it also came with plenty motion sickness. Hmm, maybe I'll check this new one out actually..

HL2 VR has been deeply revamped since the DK1 days. Now it even supports teleportation ala Alyx

This seems like a good thread to ask. How many of you are playing these on an Index? And how many of you have a 40 series Nvidia card? Reason I ask is I can't play these or really any other VR game on my Index and 4090 without getting tons of pink line stutters in the performance graph. I'm wondering now if it's my setup or my VR kit that's to blame. Seeing as how I just recently rebuilt my whole PC from scratch and it's still happening, I'm leaning towards either the VR kit or this is just the way it is.

Wonko_C

This seems like a good thread to ask. How many of you are playing these on an Index? And how many of you have a 40 series Nvidia card? Reason I ask is I can't play these or really any other VR game on my Index and 4090 without getting tons of pink line stutters in the performance graph. I'm wondering now if it's my setup or my VR kit that's to blame. Seeing as how I just recently rebuilt my whole PC from scratch and it's still happening, I'm leaning towards either the VR kit or this is just the way it is.
With that GPU it should sail. I have a Quest 2 and an i5 11400f with RTX3070Ti and with the usual settings tinkering I can get stuff running nicely.

Edit: I just remembered I had those red spikes with Karnage Chronicles and nothing I did fixed it. After checking Steam forums turns out I had to push AlT+Enter to get the mirrored view out of Fullscreen, so sometimes something obscure like background programs or certain settings can cause issues.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I played a bit and it feels better to control than Alyx, btw can I download some texture pack into it?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I played a bit and it feels better to control than Alyx, btw can I download some texture pack into it?
They're mostly vanilla for now but the VR mod's devs are making some graphics enhancements for HL2 (which will be optional as they want folks to choose their poison), I imagine the Episodes will get them too. Some existing flat HL2 mods may be/have been converted to be compatible. Edit:

Last edited:
With that GPU it should sail. I have a Quest 2 and an i5 11400f with RTX3070Ti and with the usual settings tinkering I can get stuff running nicely.

Edit: I just remembered I had those red spikes with Karnage Chronicles and nothing I did fixed it. After checking Steam forums turns out I had to push AlT+Enter to get the mirrored view out of Fullscreen, so sometimes something obscure like background programs or certain settings can cause issues.
Man I wish it were that simple a fix. VR has just been super frustrating for me these last few years. I feel like giving up on it and just moving on.

Romulus

I've got an old friend coming to stay with me in June for a week. He was a huge PC gamer in the early 2000s and absolutely loved HL2. He got out of gaming after he got someone pregnant etc. Family man. He's never played VR so I'm going to blow his mind with this.

CGNoire

Hate the ammo counters.
Can you turn that shit off?

I cant stand HUD in 2d gaming as it is.
In immersive VR its fucking retarded.
I can count bullets off just fine bye myself thank you very much.

Wonko_C

Hate the ammo counters.
Can you turn that shit off?

I cant stand HUD in 2d gaming as it is.
In immersive VR its fucking retarded.
I can count bullets off just fine bye myself thank you very much.
The HEV Suit visor's AR technology highlights useful items and overlays vital data such as health and ammunition counts.

Top Bottom