• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 3 “a terrifyingly daunting prospect,” says Valve

Mendax89

HxHveuc.jpg

Bigrx1

Banned
Seriously just STFU already Valve - make the game and stop bitching and moaning about how ScArY it is to make the game.

They're talking tech that can elevate story telling, not graphics tech specifically. Since HL2 only VR fits that bill which is why Valve got on that train so early. VR is still in it's infancy though which is why they have been prototyping technology and game mechanics so heavily. This game is a step in bringing all that together to a fully featured game.

People didn't just make this up, it's obvious if you actually read what Valve have said over the years.

I know what you are saying but my argument is, why do they or we think it needs to be a revolution to be a good game? What Ive seen visually from this VR title, that alone if it was a full fledged sequel would look and feel great for todays standards. The game wouldn't bomb like Duke Nukem Forever simply because DNF when it came out in every single way it was outdated. At the end of the day we fell in love with the franchise because of story, not because of technical advancements. And the story was left unfinished.

Lets say this VR is a step forward they were waiting for....great but nobody asked for a new tech HL, people want a new chapter and a finale to a story. Its great that they can flex their muscles and show off what they are capable of but that is not why people bought HL games in the past.

Look at Shenmue, it was a showcase game when it came out. Now we got Shenmue 3 and it feels like it was made 10 years ago. But actual fans dont care because all they wanted was to continue the story that was left unfinished after Shenmue2.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying but my argument is, why do they or we think it needs to be a revolution to be a good game? What Ive seen visually from this VR title, that alone if it was a full fledged sequel would look and feel great for todays standards. The game wouldn't bomb like Duke Nukem Forever simply because DNF when it came out in every single way it was outdated. At the end of the day we fell in love with the franchise because of story, not because of technical advancements. And the story was left unfinished.

Lets say this VR is a step forward they were waiting for....great but nobody asked for a new tech HL, people want a new chapter and a finale to a story. Its great that they can flex their muscles and show off what they are capable of but that is not why people bought HL games in the past.

Look at Shenmue, it was a showcase game when it came out. Now we got Shenmue 3 and it feels like it was made 10 years ago. But actual fans dont care because all they wanted was to continue the story that was left unfinished after Shenmue2.
This is where things divert. Valve doesn't make games to earn money, so consumers wanting to give them money has no real influence over Valve.

Fans want Half life 3, yes; but the people making the games don't want to make half Life 3. And because of that, more than a decade passed before there was finally enough will to finish the game.

You say you don't care about new tech. Well Valve say they don't care about finishing Half life. You simply have different goals. And since Valve is unusual in that they are not beholding to shareholders, they don't really see making Half Life 3 as a priority.
Consumers use money to influence the production of products. But sometimes, money is not enough. To Valve, Half Life needed to be more than just money, and that can be a lot to get used to.

gifgaf

great but nobody asked for a new tech HL,
Speak for yourself, HLVR has been rumoured for a long time in VR circles. This announcement isn't a surprise for a lot of people and I get some people are upset they don't have VR to play it but from my PoV its a vocal minority that are really crying over it.

The YouTube trailers has an overwhelming like to dislike ratio which says most people are looking forward to seeing where this goes. I still see people disappointed that it's VR only on Reddit but the majority of comments are happy to see anything Half Life right now.

This game is a VR title set in the Half Life universe, not a Half Life title with forced VR and it is not Half Life 3. Maybe this could lead onto Half Life 3 in the future.

Last edited:
This game is a VR title set in the Half Life universe, not a Half Life title with forced VR. It could also lead onto Half Life 3.
I also see Alyx as a way to re-introduce Half Life to the new generation, and thus Episode 3 could flow directly from Alyx and newcomers wouldn't need to be forced to play any of the older titles to know the story.

Bizukah

Neo Member
They're 100% better off never making HL3. The expectations have been built so high that they could never reach them. If they had followed the schedule and made it in 2009 or whatever they would have made it out okay, but if they were to release that same game from 2009 now (with source2 obviously) it'd be so underwhelming for folks.

Top Bottom