• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 3 “a terrifyingly daunting prospect,” says Valve

Tesseract

Banned
Goofy shit? I was just stating the obvious.

it's not obvious that throwing briefcases of money at something works

343i has released some turds with what appears to be unlimited budgets, halo infinite has a 500 million dollar budget and is struggling with key staff

Last edited:
it's not obvious that throwing briefcases of money at something works

343i has released some turds with what appears to be unlimited budgets, halo infinite has a 500 million dollar budget and is struggling with key staff

There's what you call good investment and bad investment, I don't think I need to explain to you the difference.

If you revisit a stale IP, best place to go is a prequel. That is why we have so many superhero/villian origin stories, it is the best way to set up a long term story or to connect to a pre-existing story.
Prequels are the worst way to go. Side stories would make way more sense since they dont step on pre-established characters and any lore. The Thing prequel and Star Wars are perfect examples of that.

Edit: DMC3 a rare exception.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing either of you are rambling about, will accomplish anything without money, no matter how you twist and turn the facts. And if you think HL3 can be made without money, you're truly delusional.

I don't even know how to respond to this... Context is a thing. Anyone reading what you said would assume you meant that Valve isn't paying up for some reason.

Of course it takes money to accomplish things like video game development. Why would you make such an incredibly basic and factual statement? Might as well have said "people need to breath to live."

Mamofish

I think it's best to leave alone for good.

At this point no matter what they create for HL3, it will fall short in the eyes of some and instead of being thankful we received some content the general word will be "we waited so many years for this?"

After Half-Life Alyx releases, they'll be more confident in working on HL3 thanks to the VR-development experience gained by the former. People expecting a subsequent Half-Life 3 to be non-VR will be in for a rude awakening. Regressing in gameplay and technology is not Valve's style. Depending of how Alyx does It'll either be HL3VR or no HL3 at all.
IF alyx does well. I'm pretty sure what their words really mean is "we dont know what the fans want anymore so were testing the waters before we jump in, head and shoulders."

This all has me so torn. On one hand, I hate most everything I hear about modern valve. That said, I love half-life.

They aren't wrong. If they botch ANYTHING half-life, i may just never give valve shit the time of day again without extraneous circumstance level of crazy games. From super fan to devout boycotters and yeah, from a dev/corporate standpoint, it sounds...scary.

We all know why they made Alyx, to sell $1000 hardware. Not because they care about HL fans or anything. Which is why this “ ooohhhh we too scared to make HL3, what if its just good” rhetoric is just bullshit.

Inviusx

That's a fair explanation in my opinion.

You want a Half Life game to hinge on some sort of new technology. VR has been the only real breakthrough in gaming tech since those days (apart from games just looking and sounding better).

I don't know if we will ever see a HL3 for that exact reason because what else is out their on the horizon for gaming technology?

Last edited:
Again, I dont understand where this came from that a HL game can only come out if theres a new tech to be explored in gaming? Both HL and HL2 werent considered graphical showcases, just games that added some neat features.

HL1 was actually graphically not that special when it came out and was mentioned in many reviews. Only thing it did was add a proper story to a FPS and skeletal animation to characters. Tech wise, nothing mind blowing.

HL2 had an amazing physics engine and again facial expressions. As far as lighting and graphics it was beat by Doom 3 and others in months. The episodes just added HDR lighting. Textures looked so blurry when you got close (walls, floor, crates).

Who even started this, that a HL game can only come out when we are so much more advanced because its how it was before (it isnt). Id expect that from John Carmack games or the Crysis team, not from Valve. And yes I played all these games on the day of release. What Ive seen so far from Alyx VR...that looks beautiful, nobody would say thats a dated engine. Im tired of their excuses why they cant make a proper sequel, when what weve seen so far could very well be a HL3 and it looked amazing. Their faces and expressions are awesome already and better than most games today.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
The reason we didn't get HL3 is because of the backlash Left for Dead 2 got. Gabe knew if HL3 didn't deliver Steam would take a hit due to boycotts and other shenanigans from gamers.

Again, I dont understand where this came from that a HL game can only come out if theres a new tech to be explored in gaming? Both HL and HL2 werent considered graphical showcases, just games that added some neat features.

HL1 was actually graphically not that special when it came out and was mentioned in many reviews. Only thing it did was add a proper story to a FPS and skeletal animation to characters. Tech wise, nothing mind blowing.

HL2 had an amazing physics engine and again facial expressions. As far as lighting and graphics it was beat by Doom 3 and others in months. The episodes just added HDR lighting. Textures looked so blurry when you got close (walls, floor, crates).

Who even started this, that a HL game can only come out when we are so much more advanced because its how it was before (it isnt). Id expect that from John Carmack games or the Crysis team, not from Valve. And yes I played all these games on the day of release. What Ive seen so far from Alyx VR...that looks beautiful, nobody would say thats a dated engine. Im tired of their excuses why they cant make a proper sequel, when what weve seen so far could very well be a HL3 and it looked amazing. Their faces and expressions are awesome already and better than most games today.
They're talking tech that can elevate story telling, not graphics tech specifically. Since HL2 only VR fits that bill which is why Valve got on that train so early. VR is still in it's infancy though which is why they have been prototyping technology and game mechanics so heavily. This game is a step in bringing all that together to a fully featured game.

People didn't just make this up, it's obvious if you actually read what Valve have said over the years.

Kagey K

Banned
There is a very good chance that HL3 becomes the Duke Nukem forever of this generation if it ever comes out.

They might be better off just to let it die. I can’t believe they stopped making games because they were so scared of it.

Kagey K

Banned
I agree, imagine the backlash and outrage it would cause if it doesn't live up to the crazy expectations people have for it.
There’s no way in hell it ever lives up to any of the expectations, nevermind all of them.

It’s one of those things the gaming community should let go of. Similar to Shenmue 3.

Last edited:

Yoboman

They went from essentially being happy with expansion packs following up from Half Life 2 to being too scared to bother

Makes no sense. I don’t recall anyone complaining Ep1 and 2 weren’t revolutionary

Kagey K

Banned
They went from essentially being happy with expansion packs following up from Half Life 2 to being too scared to bother

Makes no sense. I don’t recall anyone complaining Ep1 and 2 weren’t revolutionary
There were lots of people that didn’t like EP 1 and 2, but accepted them as stopgaps while waiting for a “proper sequel”

but now it’s gone on too long, and expectations have gone sky high.

Valve seems to have lost track of why people used to like and respect their games, and have turned full launcher mode instead.

Hudo

I just want them to outright say whether they're not doing a goddamn Half-Life 3 or Episode 3 or whether they want to do it but still have to figure it out. Just no more of this non-answer teasing bullshit.

Kagey K

Banned
I just want them to outright say whether they're not doing a goddamn Half-Life 3 or Episode 3 or whether they want to do it but still have to figure it out. Just no more of this non-answer teasing bullshit.
The best answer is to tell yourself it’s never happening, and then if it ever does you will be pleasantly surprised.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It would be extremely divisive no matter what they do. Some people will just go into it without too much expectations and take it for what it is. A lot of people will have insane expectations and therefore will be disappointed.

I have no sympathy for Valve because it's their own fault they are in this situation. Still, if they ever do release Half Life 3 the first thing they should do is not call it that.

same but c'mon we've had pretty much nothing for years. they are actually talking about Half-Life again...which in itself is insane. We have a new Half-Life game coming in 4 months! If someone said that 2 weeks ago it would be laughed at.

We've come a really long way in the last week or so.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It would be extremely divisive no matter what they do. Some people will just go into it without too much expectations and take it for what it is. A lot of people will have insane expectations and therefore will be disappointed.

I have no sympathy for Valve because it's their own fault they are in this situation. Still, if they ever do release Half Life 3 the first thing they should do is not call it that.

same but c'mon we've had pretty much nothing for years. they are actually talking about Half-Life again...which in itself is insane. We have a new Half-Life game coming in 4 months! If someone said that 2 weeks ago it would be laughed at.

We've come a really long way in the last week or so.

I would wait before calling it a game. let’s see what it actually is and how long it is,.

ive played enough VR tech demos to know not to get fooled by the “gameplay”

They can also remake HL1 and HL2, make tons of cash and later focus on something like HL3.

Valve could just invest in the Black Mesa team and help them turn their fan remake into an official remake, if they want to. Why start from scratch, when there is already a perfectly good base to work with already available? I remember an "ask me anything" session Gabe Newell did with a class full of college kids. Gabe basically stated that it was his job to find ways to get the Steam userbase to do Valve's job for them.

Just toss us Episode 3 to complete this arc and then sweat out the final trilogy piece. HL2 needs closure.

Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is one of the greatest trolling cliffhangers in gaming. I remember when Valve originally slated Episode 3 for a 2009 release. Which kept getting delayed and pushed back indefinitely. But at this point, I think they are over with the episodic thing.

Valve was really hoping that smaller episodic style games would be the direction that they would go in. But the they couldn't meet deadlines with Episode 2 and basically gave up on Episode 3.

Episode 2 ended with Alyx and Gordon taking a helicopter to the Arctic to board a ship called the Borealis. Portal 2 even has a direct reference to the Borealis, as it was a ship developed by Aperture Sciene labs, and you can even find the dry dock.

Hudo

Shame on you Valve, you didn´t move a finger until you needed to push your new goggles.
I think that sums up why I am not completely happy with Half-Life: Alyx. While I really am excited that finally something is happening with Half-Life again, I can't really deny that I thought the exact same thing. Like no communication on Half-Life for years and years and then boom.

But man... I really hope that this is just the beginning and we'll get a Half-Life 3 down the line.

Woo-Fu

Banned
That's what I've been saying all along. Supposedly you get to pick what you work on at Valve. Why on Earth would you pick a game in a mostly stagnant genre that will also have huge expectations to live up to? At least going the VR route they avoid the stagnation and can temper expectations based upon the competition/limitations inherent in the medium.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Valve already knows no matter how great HL3 could turn out to be it would never be good enough for the inevitable hype that will precede it. .

Really? We're pushing that tired narrative? I guess it's right that GRRM dicks around doing anything but writing the rest of ASOIAF because there's no way he could ever satisfy all the fans right? As if the ambition with any creative endeavour is about keeping everyone happy versus delivering an end? Which begs the question, how does not ending a story make anyone happy exactly? Get a grip. The number of apologists in this thread beggars belief.

As someone who's followed the HL franchise since it launched (I don't view myself as a fan as I'm not slavish about it being the greatest game ever), I can remember quite clearly Gabe Newell promoting the idea to a fairly sceptical player base of the HL2 Episodes as a means to round out the events post Citadel cliff hanger on the basis of shorter experiences, faster turnaround with the ideal being that all 3 parts of the trilogy arriving within a two year window whereas if Valve committed to making a longer sequel it would probably be a good 5 year affair. As is, not only did Valve manage to fail to deliver on the 2-year window, they also managed to breeze past that 5 year period also. On top of which unlike any other company instead of coming out and offering their customer base a revised timetable for delivery just decided that

giphy.gif

Was somehow the appropriate response when queried on EP3 MIA status. In no other arena of business would that fly, but sadly the gaming press has not only done a piss poor job really holding Valve to account for this versus kissed their ass (gotta curry for those coveted Steam Press account yo), but they've even at times trotted out the 'entitled gamer' narrative as if Valve are somehow beyond reproach and you filthy jumped up peasants should just shut your mouths and be grateful that Valve deigned to make EP1 & 2 in the first place, all hail Lord Gaben, first of his name, Protector of the realm, collector of knives. Fucking ridiculous BS tbh .

There was clearly an intention to finish the Episodic trilogy (as evinced by the plot of the Laidlaw Epistle 3 Blog Post) but for whatever reason Valve didn't realise that SirKicksalot SirKicksalot suggested a while back that there was an interesting correlation between what the Laidlaw outline suggested episode 3 was aiming for mechanistically and what Sabre Interactive produced with Timeshift and the sudden drop off in Gabe Newell talking about the unseen before mechanics episode 3 would possess. It could well have been the case that Sabre basically ate Valves lunch and thus set the project back indefinitely, as Valve didn't want to come out the gate looking like the ghosts in The Return of the King, post Pirates of the Carribean.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I get that half life 2 was this huge benchmark for years... But thugs change.

I don’t want half life 3 to be the next best thing ever, where everything it does is new ground breaking stuff.

I just want a good story that finishes the events of the previous games. That’s it.

There is enough talent in the world that can make a truly breathtaking Half Life 3, something that looks and plays amazing... but it doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel, it can just get away with polishing already used tricks. New facial animation tech? New physics stuff? Up to date lighting? Couple that with the story the games are known for, and the characters we love, and boom...

The problem is they see HL3 as the second coming of Christ, and so so many others. In reality it’s just a normal first person shooter.

Gravity gun me in the balls with a toilet if you don’t agree.

The gaming community as a whole doesn't deserve Half Life 3 (or anything) and Valve doesn't want nor need the hatred any sort of sequel would bring.

So they should stick to prequels/spinoffs and such (as much as I want a final chapter).

And on the flipside, I don't trust them - or any other developer or publisher - anyway.

Kadayi

Banned
The gaming community as a whole doesn't deserve Half Life 3 (or anything) and Valve doesn't want nor need the hatred any sort of sequel would bring.

So they should stick to prequels/spinoffs and such (as much as I want a final chapter).

And on the flipside, I don't trust them - or any other developer or publisher - anyway.

Because the exchange of money for goods is such a ridiculous concept right? 🤔

Kadayi

Banned
There's nothing they can to that could live up to the hype. Hence, they won't do it.

I'll quote myself (from about 2 posts before yours)

Really? We're pushing that tired narrative? I guess it's right that GRRM dicks around doing anything but writing the rest of ASOIAF because there's no way he could ever satisfy all the fans right? As if the ambition with any creative endeavour is about keeping everyone happy versus delivering an end? Which begs the question, how does not ending a story make anyone happy exactly? Get a grip. The number of apologists in this thread beggars belief.

I'll quote myself (from about 2 posts before yours)

Don't lump me in with the apologists; I was just trying to give a reasonable explanation.

But you're right: they should just say fuck you, and do whatever they want with the ending. Maybe after this VR experience gets outstanding reviews (it will).

Kadayi

Banned
Don't lump me in with the apologists; I was just trying to give a reasonable explanation.

Reasonable?

8ElAST8.gif

In the time Valve has spent procrastinating on Episode 3 other Development studios have produced entire franchises to universal acclaim. Whilst the world been waiting for EP3 FROM Software not only shipped The entire Souls Trilogy but also Bloodborne and Sekiro on top. Naughty Dog has not only shipped the Uncharted series, but also The Last of Us and have the sequel coming out next year. Hell Rockstar managed to put out both GTA IV & V, RDR1 & 2 La Noire & Max Payne 3

This idea that somehow Episode 3 represents some mythical bridge too far from a development perspective just doesn't hold up to a lick of scrutiny as far as suggestions go when other well-regarded development studios have been shipping product and building successfully on it in the process.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
As much as I bitch that Valve doesn't make games anymore and am annoyed at their seeming lack of giving a fuck about the iconic and classic franchises they have, I really can't blame them for not making HL3. The first two moved gaming ahead tremendously. The weight that is on their shoulders to do the same with HL3 is enormous. Why even attempt something you know is never going to live up to peoples expectations when they can easily just collect Steam money?

Half-Life is really what got me into PC gaming way back (and Diablo 2). I want to see an HL3 badly, but I also totally get why it's not come out.

Mendax89

Valve, the game dev, is dead. They will focus on software, the game devs left the company. This is tech demo to sell VR software, they're using the HL name. This isn't the future or a step forward.

Kadayi

Banned
As much as I bitch that Valve doesn't make games anymore and am annoyed at their seeming lack of giving a fuck about the iconic and classic franchises they have, I really can't blame them for not making HL3. The first two moved gaming ahead tremendously. The weight that is on their shoulders to do the same with HL3 is enormous. Why even attempt something you know is never going to live up to peoples expectations when they can easily just collect Steam money?

Half-Life is really what got me into PC gaming way back (and Diablo 2). I want to see an HL3 badly, but I also totally get why it's not come out.

You know that HL3 is just something the gaming press concocted right? They got tired with HL2: Episode 3 being MIA for years and just started leading with this narrative that HL3 was going to be a thing, and then lumped on top this fanfic idea that therefore it had to be some milestone technological step forward versus just a straight-up continuation as to what came before it (Episodes 1 & 2 were evolutions on HL2 not revolutions).

Requirements for successful Episode 3: -

• Borealis ✅
  • Gordon Freeman ✅
  • Alyx Vance ✅
  • Gravity Gun ✅
  • Portal Gun✅
  • Combine getting their shit shoved in front, back and sideways✅
  • Portals ✅
  • Vortigaunts ✅
  • Headcrabs✅
  • Revenge✅
  • Cock Blocking G-Man turning up at the end ✅
Mix them all together over a steady period of development over a couple of years, then serve to your audience via your Digital Distribution Platform

End result

8179f58ab12b6893822f169ef0598685cd993021f6338738dd05d99fc74ee534.jpg

Top Bottom