• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life Alyx will be the only title with an actual "next-gen" experience for a while

I 100% agree with OP even though I never played HL: Alyx.

All I see is a bunch of salty gamers on the internet not happy about a half life game being VR-Only.

It's a monumental achievement in video gaming that has been recognized with a 90+ Metacritic score and industry acclaim and set a new benchmark for future developers to aspire to.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

All I see is a bunch of salty gamers on the internet not happy about a half life game being VR-Only.

It's a monumental achievement in video gaming that has been recognized with a 90+ Metacritic score and industry acclaim and set a new benchmark for future developers to aspire to.
super-paper-mario-mesr3k5f.jpg

Last edited:

well it would be hard to understand why people would be mad that a new half life was something they couldn't play if you can appreciate games to this level when you don't even play them. That said even if I currently possessed a VR headset I certainly wouldn't be happy with the fact that after this long of a wait all they can come up with is this for those of us are waiting for the half life story to be finished or at the very least continued in a meaningful way.

AXidenT

Neo Member
Alyx IMO is a taste of what proper fully fledged VR games can offer. Sure other VR games offer more or are more advanced with certain indivudual aspects and mechanics, but Alyx was greater than the some of its parts as a total experience, really unlike anything I've had before. Stepping into City 17 in VR reminded me of stepping into City 17 in HL2 for the first time - both feel far more immersive than the worlds their contemporaries have offered.

You can play the opening hours of HL2 and all of Episode One and it's 80% the same experience. Alyx just has some Xen bullshit on top.

It's the physics and production values that make it fun. It's the best walking simulator and a fun shooter in the five minutes you get to shoot at something, but the pacing is horrible, the puzzles are retarded and the writing is "dude I downloaded the Internet before the war lmao" tier (that's an actual joke).

Bryank75

Banned
Lol for real, some game have pretty accurate balistics, when i bought arizona sunshine i wasn't capable of getting an headshot from 2 meters away :ROFLMAO:
For real, I want shooters with realistic optics and ballistics patterns. Where it benefits you to stop, drop and align the shot. Not only that, the trigger pull has to be smooth to not throw off the shot.

Lone echo?

Wasn't my jam tbh, I like to shoot things. And I played it after Alyx so maybe that's why it was harder to get into - the locomotion thing just doesn't really do anything for me immersion wise. Roomscale plus Shift worked like a charm for me - most of the time I was just walking around in Alyx and just the fidelity of the game, the way they designed it really tricked me into thinking I was legitimately there like no VR game has before or since. It's a little bit annoying to be honest that that is the only thing that currently has that effect on me.

EDIT: As an aside - I find it kinda funny how different it is to watch Alyx gameplay online on a flat screen vs playing it - the graphics look kinda shit when you watch it - whereas when you're playing it looks straight up real

Last edited:

Brofist

From the little I read and heard about it, Alyx doesn't offer anything new to previous VR games. Sounds like the same but with a bigger budget than most games basically spent on new visuals and polish.

Seems another one of these shooters where you teleport to move the character, and then pick up items aim, shoot, and reload by moving your arms. Does it offer anything else new in terms of gameplay or game design?

The game is great. It takes what had been done in previous VR games and does it better. You can move without teleporting, but it takes some getting used to tbh.

MDSLKTR

That moment right at the very end was probably the most iconic thing I can remember doing in a videogame, the immersion aspect of vr just amplifies it.

The whole time you expect the iconic crowbar to make an appearance, it just makes too much sense.
But no.... the sons of bitches kept it right up till the end and for it's rightful heir. And then you grab it.

Me in my oculus:

tenor.gif

Lethal01

VR is neat but I get more of a feeling of being in next gen from graphics improving and those improved graphics having better physics.
I was more immersed in the adventure of Final Fantasy than I was in Alyx.
I do absolutely love simply having depth perception in games though, All I want from VR is the ability to play games Like FF7 totally unchanged and with no motion controls but with the world surrounding my view and being 3d.

Let me see Clouds butt in 3d Square.

yurinka

The game is great. It takes what had been done in previous VR games and does it better. You can move without teleporting, but it takes some getting used to tbh.
It's optional and not the default option, because like in the other games to move without teleporting causes serious issues for some people (not my case, at least if I play in relatively short periods of time) and they didn't fix it.

VR is neat but I get more of a feeling of being in next gen from graphics improving and those improved graphics having better physics.
I do absolutely love simply having depth perception in games though, All I want from VR is the ability to play games Like FF7 totally unchanged and with no motion controls but with the world surrounding my view and being 3d.

sorta like a moss type thing? That’d be kinda cool. I don’t know how someone would find FF more immersive than VR Alyx but to each their own

Wonko_C

That sounds kinda neat, like being the cameraman following the characters behind the shoulder a few meters away, seeing them and the environments in real-life scale.

I really hope Sony delivers PSVR2. The way they've designed their hardware seems totally in line with an all new VR headset experience. Half-Life: Alyx would be pretty cool to play on PS5.

HF2014

Yeah, it's true it doesn't do much new that other VR games haven't done before, and like you said, it does it all with a level of polish that no other VR game has matched.

Still Dark10x explains the appeal much better than I ever could: (timestamped at 5:20 for the good part)

Teleporting is not mandatory, you can move with the analog stick like in any traditional game.

You can see your own armor in Iron Man VR, and that's just one game. Sure most are just "floating hands" as of now, but once body tracking is implemented in a non-janky way, I can see MMOs taking advantage of it. (Cosmetic microtransactions on a new level)

You played it on PC or PSVR? I only have played it on PSVR with both the Moves and the Aim Controller and it didn't seem any harder to aim than say, Blood & Thruth. Maybe the PSVR version had to remove the physics to maintain a good framerate?

God, this might convince me to get Alyx one day. Really hope it will make it to console one day, no longer into making gaming PC.

Romulus

I honestly think even if you removed the AAA games and all the VR gems, even if you just reduce it to VR racing and flight sims, its next level. Playing VR racing sims makes the Forzas and GT console games feel like kiddy racing. No hate because I grew up on those, and I know PSVR has Dirt Rally and that's exceptional, and even Wipeout VR is really good, but just stepping into the seat of a supercar with all the PCVR perks feels next level in so many ways.

Last edited:

INC

I honestly think even if you removed the AAA games and all the VR gems, even if you just reduce it to VR racing and flight sims, its next level. Playing VR racing sims makes the Forzas and GT console games feel like kiddy racing. No hate because I grew up on those, and I know PSVR has Dirt Rally and that's exceptional, and even Wipeout VR is really good, but just stepping into the seat of a supercar with all the PCVR perks feels next level in so many ways.

Wheels my next buy, just got a magnetic protube today........

Top Bottom