• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 team 60 persons, Bungie works only on one game, 6-12 mths to end of preprod

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I don't know how else you're supposed to read that...

The title has "Bungie works only on one game" and my response was supposed to mean that it would be absurd for game engineers to design an engine, and then just sit on their ass and wait for everything else to be done, and then begin the next game engine.

They should go ahead and make the next game engine while the other part of the team finishes the first game.

Hence they should be working on more than one game at once.

rastex

Banned
Nightbringer said:
This is 4 milions of dollars in money and I want to know why the cost of the games is beyond this numbers when the companies talks about their projects.

For sure eh? I mean, those computers they're using that are donated by the local school should be powerful enough for 10 games. And having desks, offices, heat, electricity, who needs that?

teh_pwn said:
The title has "Bungie works only on one game" and my response was supposed to mean that it would be absurd for game engineers to design an engine, and then just sit on their ass and wait for everything else to be done, and then begin the next game engine.

They should go ahead and make the next game engine while the other part of the team finishes the first game.

Hence they should be working on more than one game at once.

ALL ENGINES ARE PEFEKT THE FIRST TIME YOU MAKE THEM LOLOLOL YOU NEVER NEED TO FIX BUGS!!!111

Welcome to the world of code, where is somethint can go wrong, it goes wrong. Also, lots of programmers switch over to Tools development for the designers when they start bitching that they have too much work to do.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Welcome to the world of code?

I'm a computer engineer. I've programmed embedded systems.

Generally what a company does is have a large team focus on the original build. Then afterwards, only a couple people work out bugs and add a few features.

And during work, it was common that the electrical engineers would design new products, while the software engineers were writing code to improve/complete existing products.

I don't see why it would be different with game design. Surely there'd be a few people working out bugs and adding features but the original build is where the bulk of the work is.

But let's suppose you're correct. Now start a new project. There's no game engine, what exactly are the non-engineers going to do?

rastex

Banned
teh_pwn said:
I'm a computer engineer. I've programmed embedded systems.
As a Software Engineer that has worked with many computer engineers, for the most part, you guys are horrible coders :p

Generally what a company does is have a large team focus on the original build. Then afterwards, only a couple people work out bugs and add a few features.

And during work, it was common that the electrical engineers would design new products, while the software engineers were writing code to improve/complete existing products.

I don't see why it would be different with game design. Surely there'd be a few people working out bugs and adding features but the original build is where the bulk of the work is.

But let's suppose you're correct. Now start a new project. There's no game engine, what exactly are the non-engineers going to do?

Well there's actually a huge group of non-engineers all responsible for many different things. Game programming is far more maleable and flexible than standard product development, maybe it shouldn't be, but right now that's how things go.

Quick game dev lesson (though it's covered in the first post):
prepro - Engineer R&D, initial game concepts
moving to production, the R&D starts moving to creating the game engine and laying out most of the groundwork, design starts getting mature with basic levels being laid out
production - continued engine work, level design, etc
tweaking and testing

Tweaking and testing is the bugcrushing phase when every engineer is going to be working full time on making the game as polished, optimized and bugfree as possible. The only people that will have little to do during the pre-pro stage are the lower end level designers and that's why you have things like the map-pack. Gives the level designers something to do while the groundwork for the next game is being made. Gives revenue for the company, and keeps the designer's skills sharp.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ToyMachine228 said:
If it's Halo 3 then it will be out by the 2006 Holiday season. Without a doubt.

if bungie is using unreal engine 3 i'd say your right.

op_ivy said:
if bungie is using unreal engine 3 i'd say your right.

Who knows if they are...Microsoft allows for Bungie and Rare to make their own engines but they can use UE3 if they see fit. We'll have to wait and see. I think we'll see a teaser for whatever it is at X05.

Rare always makes its own engines and very rarely licenses outside technology. The only technologies they ever licensed are RAD MP3 tools for the N64 and Bink video on Xbox.

AtomicShroom said:
Rare always makes its own engines and very rarely licenses outside technology. The only technologies they ever licensed are RAD MP3 tools for the N64 and Bink video on Xbox.

I know that. But Microsoft announced a while ago that any games developed for the Xbox 360 and published by Microsoft would use the Unreal Engine 3.0. But they granted Rare and Bungie the rights to use their own engines since they have obviously already proven themselves.

Top Bottom