• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 weekly update!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
http://www.forerunners.org/phpbbinst/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1853#1853

BUNGIE WEEKLY UPDATE - June 11th

Can you feel it? Getting closer? Halo 2 is in the home stretch, just a few short (or long) months to go, and the game code is fatter, phatter and finished-er. Every week that goes by brings it closer to completion, and Bungie staff are playing it in earnest as you'll see below.

halohighseas.jpg

op_ivy

MrAngryFace said:
Do you think Halo 2 would still be popular if the intro movie was of Master Chief having lots of gay sex?

no. america hates fags

"Luke (Timmins) has our proximity voice in which is awesome. my favorite uses of it are in order:

1. To thank dead foes for giving me their shotguns
2. Next time I’m fighting them, to ask them if my weapon maybe looks a little familiar
3. When I’m stalking someone with a shotgun, call out their name and watch them stop and look around in puzzlement
4. To run up behind someone, yell “BOOM!” and then a second later pull the trigger."

voice proximity? kick ass

COCKLES

being watched
C Paul's favorite line is for when other Marines are pissed at the Chief for betrayals. "Don't shoot him in the head, you might hit Cortana. She's hot. She's blue, but she's hot."

:D

op_ivy

voice proximity is going to fucking own. imagine sneaking up on the other team and eavsdropping on their plans!

i wonder if you'll still be able to communicate with all teammates regardless of distance?

rastex

Banned
My #1 hope for the Live portion of the game is that they give the user something to do while waiting for a match to start. Just think of PGR2 when you join a game with your friends or whatever and they just started Nuremberg with Mini Coopers. I mean, you want to play with them, but you have a LONG wait ahead of you, if they let you play the single player portion while waiting for the game (eihter saving the state or just cutting off your race) when the game finishes, that'd go SOOOO Far to making the LIve portion more enjoyable. Same goes for all games where you have to wait (RS6:3, etc).

op_ivy

rastex said:
My #1 hope for the Live portion of the game is that they give the user something to do while waiting for a match to start. Just think of PGR2 when you join a game with your friends or whatever and they just started Nuremberg with Mini Coopers. I mean, you want to play with them, but you have a LONG wait ahead of you, if they let you play the single player portion while waiting for the game (eihter saving the state or just cutting off your race) when the game finishes, that'd go SOOOO Far to making the LIve portion more enjoyable. Same goes for all games where you have to wait (RS6:3, etc).

i thought i read somewhere that you can join games in progress, and that the host could turn that off for certain game types...

Hournda

Upper_Management said:
Anyone else sick of reading these Halo updates filled with useless info? Maybe it's just me...

Thank you. These are pointless and stupid hype machines disguised as "insider information." And they don't tell us anything new either other than "X feature is really cool!" or "Y person is working on Z feature" and we also get to see Frankie's dumb drawings. Aside from the rare screenshot or two, there has been little information that's actually useful and interesting that has been released from these "updates."

op_ivy

Upper_Management said:
Anyone else sick of reading these Halo updates filled with useless info? Maybe it's just me...

i'm much more sick of reading posts like this each week in these threads... if you dont like reading them, by all means, dont.

andthebeatgoeson

Upper_Management said:
Raises hand.

A whole lot of nothing, so I stopped reading a month and a half ago. Just show me pics now. I'll probably go skim thru this.

Edit:
Dang, op, does it upset you that much? I think the draw for me to this thread was a distant hope of a screen.

GhaleonEB

I love these updates. As Bungie has pointed out a milliion times, these are not for people who want info on the game per se, but in the process of making it. I love'em and look forward to them.

And that line about Contana was freaking hilarious.

GhaleonEB

skinnyrattler said:
What? She's hot. She's blue but she's hot. I got a kick out of it too. Don't mind me, I'm just complaining cuz I want the game...now.

Don't we all? Just don't come to these wanting them to be something that they are not. All bungie media has come from seperate stories, or announced/released seperately. If you come to them looking for the occasional nugget and some news of the game's progress, then you'll leave happy.

I think it's cool that Bungie does these at all - how many other developers post weekly progress reports for their fans? I'm sure a few do, but not many.

Hournda said:
Thank you. These are pointless and stupid hype machines disguised as "insider information." And they don't tell us anything new either other than "X feature is really cool!" or "Y person is working on Z feature" and we also get to see Frankie's dumb drawings. Aside from the rare screenshot or two, there has been little information that's actually useful and interesting that has been released from these "updates."

I agree!

Fujisawa

Banned
Aside from the rare screenshot or two, there has been little information that's actually useful and interesting that has been released from these "updates."

I completely disagree. Sounds like you're not as big a Halo fan as some of us.

GhaleonEB

Doom_Bringer said:

This update mentioned proximity voice going in for the first time; confirmed that a Halo 2 art book is coming out; established the status of online testing; and provided a number of minor updates on what people are doing.

If you don't like'em, don't read'em. They are for the fans, not media whores. If you want media, wait for the threads that say, "New Halo 2 Media!1!!"

Fujisawa

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
This update mentioned proximity voice going in for the first time; confirmed that a Halo 2 art book is coming out; established the status of online testing; and provided a number of minor updates on what people are doing.

If you don't like'em, don't read'em. They are for the fans, not media whores. If you want media, wait for the threads that say, "New Halo 2 Media!1!!"

If there was a congressional medal that was awarded for common sense and reason I would ask the President to award you one.

Matt

Fujisawa said:
I completely disagree. Sounds like you're not as big a Halo fan as some of us.
That sounds like it was meant as an insult, but actually came off as a self-deprecating complement.

Prine

Banned
Keep up the good work. Im sure many enjoy these updates, but cant be bothered to post.

Keep the updates coming...

op_ivy

Prine said:
Keep up the good work. Im sure many enjoy these updates, but cant be bothered to post.

Keep the updates coming...

hey prine, when are you on live? i wanna get more pandora tomorrow action going now that the new maps are out :D

I hate these updates, I just wanted to pop my head in here and say that and make Halo fans mad. Bye!

EDIT: On a serious note, I wish more cpmanies did these for higher profile titles. Imagine if Rockstar put out weekly updates on San Andreas, damn that would be tight! Nintendo updating us on Echoes? More devs should put the effort into doing these weekly releases.

FightyF

Banned

I'm a huge Halo fan and I have to agree.

On one hand, not many devs ever do this, and it's a great idea.

But I never bothered reading the update, and I read this thread. By reading this thread, I got all the important info.

Proximity voices are great, but for inter-team communication, you'll need to be able to talk to anyone on your team. I'm guessing it's implemented in the proper way that I imagine.

It would be neat if you can hear your team-mates through your headset, but opponents (within proximity of course) through your speakers. And in surround sound, so if they are behind you, you hear it in your rear speakers, rather than your headset.

GhaleonEB

Fight for Freeform said:
I'm a huge Halo fan and I have to agree.

On one hand, not many devs ever do this, and it's a great idea.

But I never bothered reading the update, and I read this thread. By reading this thread, I got all the important info.

Proximity voices are great, but for inter-team communication, you'll need to be able to talk to anyone on your team. I'm guessing it's implemented in the proper way that I imagine.

It would be neat if you can hear your team-mates through your headset, but opponents (within proximity of course) through your speakers. And in surround sound, so if they are behind you, you hear it in your rear speakers, rather than your headset.

You hate the updates, but like the cool info? Wow...just wow.

Joe

what exactly is proximity voice? any other examples?

also i hope they change the way they rank players at the post game carnage report (and eventually leaderboards). your ranking shouldnt be decided solely on kills, deaths and assists should be factored in too.

FightyF

Banned
You hate the updates, but like the cool info? Wow...just wow.

No, I hate reading the updates because they are filled with useless info.

Please read the posts more carefully.

Check this site out, it's Croteam's site, the guys who made Serious Sam, and they have updates regarding Serious Sam 2.

http://www.croteam.com/

There is a lot of USEFUL information in there.

Halo 2 updates are cool, but I won't be reading them, I'll skim the thread that discusses them. This update almost seems summed up by the one phrase "proximity voices in multiplayer". You can't sum up what Croteam says though, a lot of it is good info.

Try reading Croteam's site, I'm sure you'll agree, it's all interesting and fascinating!

GhaleonEB

I read your post carefully indeed. I find the Halo 2 updates interesing, fascinating and entertaining. If all you want is filtered feature lists, then that is certainly your perogitive. As a fan of Bungie, though, I enjoy learning about the development process, not just the product. Which is, of course, the point of the updates in the first place.

FightyF

Banned
I read your post carefully indeed.

C'mon man, don't make comments like that. You obviously took objection to something I didn't say.

But thanks for the rest of your post. You have a good point about the difference between the development process and development achievements. Obviously, I prefer looking at the achievements while you prefer reading on the developing process.

So thanks for bringing that to light, and hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from when it comes to looking forward to these things. Hopefully now you understand why I would rather read the filtered information from this board, rather than the whole update from Bungie themselves.

Akira

Hello, I just wanted to say that I hate these updates. Yes, I clicked on this thread just to say that. I could've ignored it, but I wanted to voice my special opinion.

GhaleonEB

Fight for Freeform said:
C'mon man, don't make comments like that. You obviously took objection to something I didn't say.

But thanks for the rest of your post. You have a good point about the difference between the development process and development achievements. Obviously, I prefer looking at the achievements while you prefer reading on the developing process.

So thanks for bringing that to light, and hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from when it comes to looking forward to these things. Hopefully now you understand why I would rather read the filtered information from this board, rather than the whole update from Bungie themselves.

I was thrown off by what you look for in the updates - it seemed to me to be a contradiction between refusing to read them because they were useless and praising the news nuggets, but I have since gotten your point. My belated apologies.

And this is from a February update, with some emphasis added by me:

I get a lot of mail here. Some of it asks perfectly reasonable questions, about multiplayer Halo 2 features, or what it's like working at Bungie, that kind of thing. A lot of them are explicit or implied death threats, or impossible requests to store outlandish objects in uncomfortable places. I tackle it all with gusto, like a red-faced optimistic German tour guide. "Ha, ha, I am so jolly to enjoy your correspondence!" But a lot of the letters ask things like, "Why don't you put movies in the updates?" or, "Why don't you run this column on the front page of IGN?"

Well it's simple — the weekly updates are (and always have been) designed to be a window on the process and people here at Bungie. It is not some official geyser of Halo 2 information; for that very reason, we post in occasionally obscure Halo and Bungie fan forums. If we went up on the front page of Gamespot or MSN every week, people would have warped expectations of the weekly update. Of course, the update gets mirrored immediately, and that's cool ; we want lots of people to read and enjoy the updates, but they're here for folks who're curious about the process not so much the product. Nearer the game's release, there will be fountains of really gritty Halo 2 stuff, but until then, the Bungie Weekly Updates will continue in the vein they have been.

shpankey

not an idiot
Upper_Management said:

This post makes absolutely no sense. Nobody is forcing you to read anything. These updates are just for their diehard fans who like to read little interesting tidbits about the development. If you are "sick of reading" them, you are a retard... because you obviously go to the trouble to read them when you know you don't like to. To top it off, you then clicked on a thread about the updates and then went to the trouble to post about them.

dorio

Banned
Daxter Too said:
I hate these updates, I just wanted to pop my head in here and say that and make Halo fans mad. Bye!

EDIT: On a serious note, I wish more cpmanies did these for higher profile titles. Imagine if Rockstar put out weekly updates on San Andreas, damn that would be tight! Nintendo updating us on Echoes? More devs should put the effort into doing these weekly releases.

Why? Those 2 games suck compared to Halo. Just wanted to say that to piss off fans of those games.

Top Bottom