• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Auto Update 2 Coming tomorrow morning!

GhaleonEB

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/912/912365p1.html

Interview on the second update. Of note:

On Achievements:

There's more to say on this later, especially regarding the three zero-point "Vidmaster" achievements. There is no gamerscore on the line but there will be a payoff.

More stuff coming later:

We've also seen a big increase in custom content and file sharing lately as these features are really starting to hit their stride. The Bungie.net team has been extremely busy, recently launching revamped player stats and profile pages with a major overhaul to the file sharing infrastructure on the horizon. This should really improve sharing and discovering custom content within the Halo 3 community.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Kydd BlaZe said:
Hmm, I thought that the new achievement updates couldn't exceed 250 points. The most achievements a game could have would be 1250 total.

Yea thats how it is, I guess Halo 3 is breaking that.

DarkJC

scola said:
isn't it 250 per "major" content update? three map packs x 250 = 750

No, before Halo 3 the policy was, 1000 points for a base disc game, and then up to 250 additional points could be added for additional content. It was never on a per update basis.

GhaleonEB

scola said:
isn't it 250 per "major" content update? three map packs x 250 = 750
Current rules are 250 of total additional gamerscore spread across a maximum of 10 DLC achievements. That's the max allowed for a retail game.

Or was, apparently.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
was it ever actually a policy...how many games have more than 1000 achievements points available...oblivion? Crackdown? what else?

Hero

Fuck. I still need one more achievement in the current Halo 3 to have 1000/1000.

I need a damn overkill in a ranked FFA.

Will tomorrow's update set me back on getting the katana?

Striker

Hero said:
Fuck. I still need one more achievement in the current Halo 3 to have 1000/1000.

Overkills aren't hard to get. You got the hardest ones already!

I think once you get the original Achievements it'll grant you the Security helmet.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
was it ever actually a policy...how many games have more than 1000 achievements points available...oblivion? Crackdown? what else?
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/01/540575.aspx

1. All regular disc-based games MUST have 1,000 Gamerscore in the base game. This means that any consumer who buys a retail game will have the opportunity to unlock the full 1,000 Gamerscore without having to pay for any add-on content. Note that a publisher may decide to deliver a portion of this Gamerscore via add-on content, but the add-on content will always be free to the consumer.

2. Game publishers will have the option to deliver another 250 incremental Gamerscore on top of the 1,000 via add-on content from Marketplace. This add-on content could be either free or paid. So if you complete a game and earn the full 1,000 GS, you could by getting new add-on content earn up to a total of 1,250 points from a game.

3. Xbox Live Arcade games will operate in similar fashion, but given the size of these titles they will allow you to earn up to 200 Gamerscore from every game and up to another 50 points from add-on content.

Hero

Striker said:
Overkills aren't hard to get. You got the hardest ones already!

I think once you get the original Achievements it'll grant you the Security helmet.

I just find getting an Overkill in ranked FFA to be frustrating since there's only six players total so the conditions have to be ideal. I guess tomorrow it'll be easier but I want the stupid katana.

sankao

I can't play big team social anymore, which was all I played, bummer.
What else is nice to play with local guests ? (newbies, just like me by the way).

Striker

sankao said:
What else is nice to play with local guests ? (newbies, just like me by the way).
DLC Big Team... >>

DLC Big Team

Eight on eight Social Slayer and Objective action (Gametypes from Big Team Social)
Focused on DLC content (Requires both Heroic and Legendary Map Packs)
You would be forced to by the Legendary maps, though. :\

Local guests? I would just be content with Multi CTF, Slayer, or Snipers.

sankao said:
Social Skirmish is really fun with guests if you don't have the Legendary map pack. It's a 5 vs. 5 objective-type playlist (Multi-Flag, Neutral Assault, etc.).

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
DLC Big Team is being introduced.
And to add to that:

DLC Big Team

Eight on eight Social Slayer and Objective action (Gametypes from Big Team Social)

DLC Big Team = Social BTB on Heroic and Legendary maps.

Edit: no fair, you edited!

Hero said:
I just find getting an Overkill in ranked FFA to be frustrating since there's only six players total so the conditions have to be ideal. I guess tomorrow it'll be easier but I want the stupid katana.
If you have the Legendary Map pack, then you should try Legendary Brawl (a weekend double-exp playlist that is coming up soon). The playlist is a ranked 12-person FFA that many people use to get some of the more difficult achievements. As you said, it will be a lot less difficult to get the overkill achievement with 8-players. I got mine when it was only 5-players, now that was difficult.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
And to add to that:

DLC Big Team

DLC Big Team = Social BTB on Heroic and Legendary maps.

Edit: no fair, you edited!
;)

I confused myself!

SuperJohnson is also correct: I forgot Social Skirmish.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hell yeah - it's almost here - nice post TDG!

And Bungie broke the Achievement boundary for real then, since I figured that we'd get 250 points with this update, and a MP-only disc would have 750 on it's own with some repeat Achievements, guess I was wrong!

sankao

Super Johnson said:
Social Skirmish is really fun with guests if you don't have the Legendary map pack. It's a 5 vs. 5 objective-type playlist (Multi-Flag, Neutral Assault, etc.).
Looks a bit complex for people who just enjoy getting on a warthog and go apeshit in the middle of the battlefield. Guess I will have to wait till the next revamp.

DarkJC

Hero said:

Overkill is one of those ones that just happens, and it happens more often than 2 for 1 (in my case :/)

I got my overkill achievement just recently, right place at the right time situation.

What's going on with these achievements? 250 for DLC, no more..... ?

I hope this doesn't mark the start of rules being relaxed and achievements points being handed out like candy in all future games.

Still, I look forward to this mysterious MS event later this week, I'm sure Bungie will make it all clear.

Hero

DarkJC said:
Overkill is one of those ones that just happens, and it happens more often than 2 for 1 (in my case :/)

I got my overkill achievement just recently, right place at the right time situation.

It's just frustrating because I'll try to make a fight last longer just to get people closer in proximity to be able to kill more opponents within 4 seconds of each other.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Oh, shit, I forgot this was up today. Gonna be interesting playing online to see everyone trying to get the achievements straight off.

TDG

Banned
The Auto Update is up now.

Bungie.net has a summary of what's going on, including a detailed explanation of the Playlist Ratings system. Link.

The write-up about the Playlist ratings, for the lazy:
Playlist Ratings

The other major outward facing component of TU2 is the addition of “Playlist Ratings” to Halo 3. In a nutshell, playlist ratings are the playlist-level decoupling of Trueskill values (the in-game number next to your name) from Experience (the icon next to your name). You will now have a separate military rating (based purely on EXP) in each playlist. So this means that being a General in a playlist is based on how many games you’ve won in the playlist, not based on the Trueskill number next to your name. Your Trueskill values are NOT being reset. If someone checks your service record, they will still see your Highest Skill.

The most important thing to note here is that nothing is being taken away – you are not losing your existing global ratings. We are in fact ADDING new stats via per-playlist EXP and ratings.

To further clarify things, I asked Tyson (Multiplayer Designer) and Shishka (Playlist Designer) to answer a few questions on this topic.

Hey guys, one of the main points of interest for TU2 is the addition of a new online rating system. What all does this entail?

Tyson: In TU2, our rating system is starting to track a rating per playlist, in addition to your traditional global performance rating. As you earn EXP in each playlist, you can earn a rating specific to that playlist, to show off your progress in the playlist of your choice. Of course, your old ratings remain fully intact and will continue to progress.

What will this ultimately mean for players?

Tyson: More stats, in the form of more detailed breakdown of your progress. If you spend most of your time in Team Slayer, you’ll be able to see the progress you’re making there.

How does this new system differ from the previous ranking framework?

Tyson: The nice thing is that it doesn’t change any of the old ratings—your prior accomplishments remain fully intact. When you’re sitting in a playlist lobby, you will see the new rating symbols instead of the old global ones, but your global rating is still front-and-center in your service record.

Why was the decision made to implement this new rating system?

Tyson: Two reasons: first, so that people who prefer to play in particular playlists can compare themselves more directly against other people in that playlist. Second, so that players who are a long way from meeting the EXP requirement for their global rating have some new, more immediate feedback regarding their progress.

Will the EXP I earn in playlists count toward my global rating?

Shishka: Yes. That’s why we call it your “global” rating.

How does this affect Double EXP weekends? Could I become a General in Griffball?

Shishka: Double EXP weekends will continue to make a regular appearance in Halo 3 for the foreseeable future. Yes, it is potentially possible to become a General in a double EXP weekend playlist, and yes, it will occur in half the time it’d take to become a General in a regular playlist.

Get to work, there are achievements to be had...
achievements1.jpg

TDG said:
Welcome back.
:)

Oh, I posted this in the Halo thread, but if you look at the achievements for Halo 3, you will notice it's been updated with all 30 achievements. Not just the ten Luke has been talking about.

Wurm

Banned
Quick question for the people in this thread. Since a fair whack of the new achievements are on Legendary Maps only, I'm tempted to bite the bullet and get it (since thats never becoming free, right?)

I've got the points on my US account thanks to some recent promotions, but if I buy the pack on US XBL will I be able to access it on my UK account, like with XBLA games? Or would I be boned?

CougRon

Wurm said:
Quick question for the people in this thread. Since a fair whack of the new achievements are on Legendary Maps only, I'm tempted to bite the bullet and get it (since thats never becoming free, right?)
Never say never, but it doesn't look to be happening anytime soon. More likely we might get another pricecut but even that is doubtful I think. It sort-of depends on what is up with Mythic and the possible 6 maps in the pack and or the other 20 'not-so-secret' achievements and/or how that relates to this whole SI thing (if at all)

edit: You could wait a couple and see if anything becomes clearer on the 25th, Halo 3's anniversary.

Wurm

Banned
CougRon said:
Never say never, but it doesn't look to be happening anytime soon. More likely we might get another pricecut but even that is doubtful I think. It sort-of depends on what is up with Mythic and the possible 6 maps in the pack and or the other 20 'not-so-secret' achievements and/or how that relates to this whole SI thing (if at all)

edit: You could wait a couple and see if anything becomes clearer on the 25th, Halo 3's anniversary.

Yeah to be honest I feel a bit ripped off because I bought the Heroic pack, but then that released for free while the Legendary one appears to have no intention of becoming so. If I'd have known better I would have waited on Heroic then bought Legendary instead.

Still interested about whether buying the packs on different accounts lets you use them on that system, but I seem to remember someone moaning about having to buy them for his brother as well on the same system, so I guess that looks bleak (and retarded).

CougRon

Wurm said:
Yeah to be honest I feel a bit ripped off because I bought the Heroic pack, but then that released for free while the Legendary one appears to have no intention of becoming so. If I'd have known better I would have waited on Heroic then bought Legendary instead.
Me, I just said screw it and bought them all day 1, no having to wait. :D

Kibbles

So I wonder what Vidmasters will unlock... gamerscore? Please don't be Recon... :\ It would definitely loose it's value.

Wurm said:
Still interested about whether buying the packs on different accounts lets you use them on that system, but I seem to remember someone moaning about having to buy them for his brother as well on the same system, so I guess that looks bleak (and retarded).

Halo 3 DLC gets attached to both your box and your account (just like an arcade game). If somone gets their xbox repaired and the liscenses don't get transfered, they can sometimes run into trouble if their purchasing account isn't signed in. But if you play on the original box, or transfer your liscenses, any account can use the DLC.

FFChris

h3ro said:
Any chance the Legendary map pack goes free anytime soon?

They say it won't, but I think it will do.

They just dropped the legendary map pack to 600pts, so that suggests something is going on.

My guess is there will be a Mythic map pack (six maps) announced to be released in stores pretty soon, and when that comes out Legendary will go free.

Kibbles

Ok, I got a theory. The current Vidmasters will unlock a Legendary title screen and menus, and the new Vidmasters in the next achievement update will unlock a Mythic title screen/menus (as seen at PAX)

Wurm

Banned
Well I hope Legendary doesnt become free because I just started downloading it :lol

Also I'm thinking the Vidmaster's will, when completed with the skulls, unlock an Armour perm or 2. Canz it be Recons timez, plases?

Top Bottom