• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Red Blaster said:
Uh, haha. I followed the MGS4 TGS thread from the beginning and that's a load of horse puckey. Plenty of folks voiced complaints about the animations and whatnot in the trailer and weren't banned, but whatever. Revisionist history ftw.

On topic tho, Halo 3 looks shweet :)

You act like there isn't a circle jerk here whenever new MGS media comes out, there is always more than one thread for Gaffers to profess their man love to Kojima

fse

there are other mgs4 threads, people who thought the textures or animations were bad/ not up to par or not nextgen are called trolls, when they are just stating their opinion on how it looks.

mikeGFG

Banned
dark10x said:
I think some of the disappointment stems from the similar techniques used.

They are clearly working from a similar base as Halo 2, but are now able to go all the way. Halo 2 was already sporting some techniques that are becoming common this gen, but in lower quality. I think the initial reaction is the result of this, but once you go back and look at older H2 shots, you realize there is a pretty large difference. It's going to look fantastic in the end, I'm positive.

Bungie have hurt themselves a bit with the older bullshots, though. They released plenty of Halo 2 pics in a similar style as those seen in the scan as well. You can see they aren't on the same level, but they still look nice.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/107/reviews/562116_20050418_screen007.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/107/reviews/562116_20050418_screen006.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/107/reviews/562116_20050418_screen003.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/107/reviews/562116_20050418_screen002.jpg

...and of course, you had bullshots like this...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen095.jpg

Similar techniques as Halo 3, but much lower in quality.

The only 'fraudulent' technique they employed for Halo 2 screens was rendering the screens at a resolution suitable for print, then down-resing them to an even higher resolution than what the game could output. A very common practice. As for your "bullshots"... those are 100% realtime cutscenes. I don't see what you're getting at there.

Thing is, Halo 2 looked great in 2004. And even at ****ing ALPHA, Halo 3 looks leaps better. I can't believe idiots think this is Halo 2 in HD. You know Halo 2 HD is? Halo 2 Vista-- and we all know what H2V at 1080p looks like. It's sad that crow has to be served, but if you're geniunely skeptical of how good Halo 3 will look, wait for some godamn direct-feed shots before bitching.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mike G.E.D. said:
The only 'fraudulent' technique they employed for Halo 2 screens was rendering the screens at a resolution suitable for print, then down-resing them to an even higher resolution than what the game could output. A very common practice. As for your "bullshots"... those are 100% realtime cutscenes. I don't see what you're getting at there.

Thing is, Halo 2 looked great in 2004. And even at ****ing ALPHA, Halo 3 looks leaps better. I can't believe idiots think this is Halo 2 in HD. You know Halo 2 HD is? Halo 2 Vista-- and we all know what H2V at 1080p looks like. It's sad that crow has to be served, but if you're geniunely skeptical of how good Halo 3 will look, wait for some godamn direct-feed shots before bitching.

IAWTP. But you know, I would.

X26

Banned
Wahh wahh GAF is so teh biased ;_;

Any and all PS3 news/images/etc. gets reamed as well, so stop acting like the 360 is some kind of victim on this site

BigBoss

Agent Icebeezy said:
You act like there isn't a circle jerk here whenever new MGS media comes out, there is always more than one thread for Gaffers to profess their man love to Kojima

If MGS4 was an Xbox 360 exclusive I very much doubt you'd be bothered by the circle jerk reaction of MGS4 media.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously guys, since it's Tomas Wiborgh, half of the so called "information" was just not information about the game. So I'll just type the "Halo 3-stuff".
Oh, and please don't bother my english, since it's quite obvious that I'm a Swede. I still hope it's readable, though.

HALO'S SECRETS
The biggest, prettiest and hardest spacewar is about to end during 2007.
At E3 in summer, we got to see Master Chief in his suit. Just a month ago,
we got a personal meeting in Bungies HQ. We are LEVEL (the magazine), we have
played Halo 3 before anyone else.

After weeks of emailcorrespondence with letters, we finally made it to
Seattle. Even though I didn't know what we were about to see, it was still exciting.
Of course, it had to do with Halo 3 but we weren't too sure. But we shouldn't have doubted it.

Welcome to Bungie
We get to meet Brian Jarrard, the man with the jacket. The guard looks at me and closes
the doors behind us. The first thing we meet is Bungies own sodamachine. Master Chief
sells his soul for Mountain Dew. Behind the right door of it, is Halo 3 being developed in.
It looks like Nasa in there, one huge room with lots of screens and papers.
The left door was just about to open itself, and we were very excited.

The cards on the table
When the door finally opens up, the Halo-loggo starts spinning around on a big TV.
Xbox 360's are just next to it and huge headsets. Sometimes, it felt that I was really
about to play Halo 3. That feeling felt good, inside. After a couple of seconds,
I'm sitting there with my Xbox 360 wireless controller in my hands. I get to meet
a well-known greensuited man with new weapons.

If you're used to the controls in previous Halo-games, Halo 3 won't be hard at all to find
it "confortable". Bungie has actually been working on a new concept, where the player represents
a perspective of the handcontrollers back (?). With the shoulderbuttons, you reload.
This is like a complete version of dual-weilding. You also get to reload your weapons
individually, that way, you get more tactic-aspect during the war. It's about life and death.

Detailfeeling
Before anything is said, Jaime Griesemer said that the multiplayer-part of Halo 2 was good...
in the begining. It was popular but definitely not perfect. One of the problems were
"spawning weapons". In Halo, we had the old version of our
Assault Rifle, which seriously gave an impression like "worthless".
We also had the revolver, which was a bit powerful.
Nothing was spectacular, and we just had too many SMG-weapons.
When we started developing Halo 3, we sat down and thought of many new ideas.

New Toys
I don't think I'll spoil much if I say that Brutes will have a huge role in Halo 3. They will be huge, and yes, hairy too. With massive weapons.
The weapon which is rotating on the screen while Jaime talks is equipped with long, knives and their ammunition contains of deadly spikes.
At the moment, we call them "Spiker". On the top of that, Bungie introduces the new spikegrenades, which can be set on walls or roofs.
Next stage is Highground, which reminds us of Zanzibar. Me and my team cooperates with each other, while the enemy has its camp on the beach.
Our warthog stands right next to me, so I'm safe when it comes to defending.

Welcome Home
The third and laste stage has the name "Valhalla". It's like paradise, but better.
Water, trees, mountains, it's the stage I've been dreaming about. All the pretty stages in Halo,
but now on updated hardware. Valhalla is our new Blood Gulch, sais Jaime Griesemer. It's terrain is very
vary(ed..?). I get to know the new vehicle, a Mongoose. It sounds like a motorcyckle, and it's perfect
to use in handy on huge stages like this one. There's also the new transportmethod named Man Cannon.
I jump of my Mongoose and jump in the cannon. Well, I fly. I fly in the air and I get to see hundreads of meetres from above.
I see lots of war under me. X-button will do something special.

The End
Before you go home today, we have something to show you, said Brian Jarrard. It's not
much, but I know that it's been anticipated. You're just about to see the first singleplayer part of Halo 3.
Everything you see is 100 % true, and you get to see it one time.
The lights were off and the sequence loaded. We see a city, full of explosions and motions.
Soldiers shoots covenants. Grenades fly everywhere. Master Chief gets bullets on him, while his shield
starts to blink very weird.

It's over. That was it.

Agent Icebeezy said:

So? There are more MGS fans here than Halo fans. That doesn't mean detractors are shot on sight by the mods like you're implying.

Whatever, I don't want to derail this thread any further. Carry on.

jett

D-Member
Agent Icebeezy said:

What does that have to do with what he said? There was still plenty of hate for MGS4's textures, even back in 2005, 2+ years before its apparent release date(for those that cry that H3's release date is one year from now). And let's not even pretend that early PS3 games haven't been shat on constantly since E3.

This is what happens. This is GAF. :p

Lakitu

st5fu
Seiken said:
The End
Before you go home today, we have something to show you, said Brian Jarrard. It's not
much, but I know that it's been anticipated. You're just about to see the first singleplayer part of Halo 3.
Everything you see is 100 % true, and you get to see it one time.
The lights were off and the sequence loaded. We see a city, full of explosions and motions.
Soldiers shoots covenants. Grenades fly everywhere. Master Chief gets bullets on him, while his shield
starts to blink very weird.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

Thank you Seiken.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Awesome translation man. Any impressions on the bit of single player they got to see? it describes what happens in the video but doesn't describe how it looks or really what they thought of it??? is it amazing??? i must know.

Mr Wispy

I'm seriously hoping there will be no flying Spartans in this game.
The scans look amazing though. I love the fact you can record movies to the hardrive ... I've been saying that for years.
Bring on direct feed multiplayer vids I say!

SpacLock

I just shit my pants reading all of this. Halo 3 is going to bring my GPA to an all time low. Halo 2 still runs my video gaming side of life so this news is huge to me.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SpacLock said:
I just shit my pants reading all of this. Halo 3 is going to bring my GPA to an all time low. Halo 2 still runs my video gaming side of life so this news is huge to me.

I still play Halo 2 on a regular basis, that's prolly why I'm so passionate about it in this thread. I'm not trying to stick an XDF flag and the ground and defend this title, but I expect this to surpass Halo 2 and I ****ing love Halo 2

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lakitu said:
Thank you Seiken.
Ah seriously man, no need to thank me. I'm very tired and that translation had many errors, thank god you can read it atleast :).

Not a Jellyfish said:
Awesome translation man. Any impressions on the bit of single player they got to see? it describes what happens in the video but doesn't describe how it looks or really what they thought of it??? is it amazing??? i must know.
I'll describe this one with all my power that are left for today.

The lamps went off, and the projector started spinning. The white text is on the black background, it sais Loading.
- Don't blink or you'll miss it, someone with a Bungie-shirt shouts out loud before it starts.
It went quiet after that, until all of a sudden, we got ourself a look at some of the most amazing scenes in game history. We are in a city-like-place, full of searchlight, explosions and motions. In the background, we hear Marty O'Donnells groundbreaking music which I missed while playing multiplayer.
Soldiers moves in forms and shoots against the covenants. Grenades fly in the air. In the yellow sky, many strange airships arrives. The camera follows, all of a sudden, a person, which happend to be Master Chief. He's being hurt by massive fire and his shield starts blinking back and forth like mad. Massive explosions starts to blow up like no tomorrow, around us. Ten seconds after that, the lights were on and the footage we saw of the singleplayer part of Halo 3 still amazes me everytime I think of it. We're checking out the mothership later on, for now, the war on Earth has just started.

Striek

The problem in these threads is the middle-ground doesn't get heard. 40% say it looks like poop, 40%says it looks awesome. I'd say it looks middling, and the bigger scans only solidify that position.

However the catch-cry 'pictures don't do next-gen justice' comes to mind.

The actual details sound very nice. I can't wait to play the game, Bungie has me so damned addicted to the story and the gameplay is a nice bonus :p

huh, from your translation seiken, it sounds like the single-player preview was a cinematic, not from the player's perspective? I wonder if that means they're hiding a new hud or something... anyway, sounds awesome, and I love the implication that it's at night [spotlights!] I've always hoped the unified lighting this gen can bring would result in more dramatically and dynamically lit scenarios, and this sounds great. large-scale future war ftw.

[thanks seiken :) ]

It was a struggle, but I just got through going through this entire thread and I don't know what's more pathetic, my undying love for Halo that forced me to do it, or the blatant trolling that made up what felt like 2/3rds of the posts.

At least it's subsided by now; those high-res scans made it worth it, though.

H3-06.jpg

That's just ****ing epic. If the ATV passenger can also fire his weapon while the driver does his thing... :D

Seiken said:
It went quiet after that, until all of a sudden, we got ourself a look at some of the most amazing scenes in game history. We are in a city-like-place, full of searchlight, explosions and motions. In the background, we hear Marty O'Donnells groundbreaking music which I missed while playing multiplayer.
Soldiers moves in forms and shoots against the covenants. Grenades fly in the air. In the yellow sky, many strange airships arrives. The camera follows, all of a sudden, a person, which happend to be Master Chief. He's being hurt by massive fire and his shield starts blinking back and forth like mad. Massive explosions starts to blow up like no tomorrow, around us. Ten seconds after that, the lights were on and the footage we saw of the singleplayer part of Halo 3 still amazes me everytime I think of it. We're checking out the mothership later on, for now, the war on Earth has just started.

:O

Thanks so much for that, Seiken! According to their hub site, EGM won't post their SP details until the 20th and I'm not sure I'll make it until then.

Cost is irrelevant, LEGENDARY EDITION Day 1 for me.

1) The game looks poor given Bungie's abilities and the 360 hardware

2) The single player should look better (of course)

3) These are allegedly shots from a fairly early build

4) Halo games are fun

NinSoX

Banned
I'm really impressed. As far as I remember Halo 2's multiplayer's graphics were significantly worse than single player's. I'm not in the least bit concerned.

gimmmick

"There are many ways to convey emotion. Graphics is not the most important one." --Brian Jarrard

That sounds very nintendo`ish. For a first person shooter, graphics play a huge factor for creating an atmosphere that reflects game's tone and feel. Probably one of the reasons why resident evil 4 excelled so much imo.

Also is it just me, or does resitance just rape the graphics seen in these scans. If someone said this was halo 2 for vista, I would have believed it.

This has probably been mentioned already considering this is a 16 page thread, but is that dude flying in that big picture a few posts up of this one?

fse

gimmmick said:
That sounds very nintendo`ish. For a first person shooter, graphics play a huge factor for creating an atmosphere that reflects game's tone and feel. Probably one of the reasons why resident evil 4 excelled so much imo.

Also is it just me, or does resitance just rape the graphics seen in these scans. If someone said this was halo 2 for vista, I would have believed it.

:lol
you really think this looks like halo2?
this looks great, its just in the same visual style.
H3-06.jpg

resistance does not rape halo 3 visually, i dunno how can people think that.

Baryn

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
My head is going to ****in explode

On graphics
"A lot is still missing in this build. Weather- and water effects are missing, and most of our HDR isn't in there yet. We're still at alpha stage, but when everything is in place, Halo 3 will be the best X360 has to offer." --Brian Jarrard
:lol Come on.

That's the stock empty promise. You really think there is going to be a massive upgrade between now and release? Granted, it will probably look better, I buy that. However, seeing as how this is what they have been working on for presumably over a year, don't expect it to look that much different. Be happy with what you have, or complain. Don't lie to yourself.

PolyGone

Banned
the environments still look boring... they need to headhunt some of the crew from Retro so that they can have some cool looking settings

Mike Works said:
This has probably been mentioned already considering this is a 16 page thread, but is that dude flying in that big picture a few posts up of this one?
there's apparently a "human-cannon" in the game, a giant air-vent you blast out of, which I think you can see in one of the scans of the base, it's got some purple glow to it. there's also a mystery feature to the "x" button, which might end up being a glider/parachute/something related. or not.

blazinglasers said:
there's apparently a "human-cannon" in the game, a giant air-vent you blast out of, which I think you can see in one of the scans of the base, it's got some purple glow to it. there's also a mystery feature to the "x" button, which might end up being a glider/parachute/something related. or not.
Uhh we're calling it the man-cannon dude. Double entendre!

Casshern

Banned
gimmmick said:

Resistance looks much better but, uh, Resistance is finished while Halo 3 has 1 year of development ahead of it.

GreekWolf

Wow, the trolling picked up ten-fold on this last page.

I guess the second shift has arrived. Baryn and gimmmick, make sure to clock in next time before heading to the assembly line.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Stinkles said:
Valhalla is not Blood Gulch. It's just big. Like Blood Gulch.

question now with the name Valhalla leading towards Norse Mythology there. hmmm any parallelism to Norse in story events??? speal the beans already. :D

tHoMNZ

needs a grass shader (grass with some volume to it) and HDR
it'll look sweet

has someone pshop'd "halo teh next gen" complete with overdone motion blur and bloom yet? :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
tHoMNZ said:
needs a grass shader (grass with some volume to it) and HDR
it'll look sweet

has someone pshop'd "halo teh next gen" complete with overdone motion blur and bloom yet? :D

yes grass would do it. nice thick grass that moves with the wind. then only then will i be satisfied. haha no seriously that would be pretty sweet.

Baryn

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Wow, the trolling picked up ten-fold on this last page.

I guess the second shift has arrived. Baryn and gimmmick, make sure to clock in next time before heading to the assembly line.
Ugh, stealth calling-people-trolls trolling is getting more rampant.

fse

Mike Works said:

yes :D

FightyF

Banned
Yeah there needs to be some sort of multitexturing on the ground to make it look more than a flat texture, or some added vegetation and rocks.

There needs to be higher contrast in the self shadowing...to match the darkness of the shadow the ATV leaves.

To the person suggesting "more HDR"...how in hell can you use a screenshot to determine whether or not the game implements HDR lighting?

Baryn said:

You call that stealth? :/

Pimpwerx

I don't know why this game is being trolled so bad. Yeah, it's a flagship title for a rival system, but not even GT:HD got trolled this bad, and it had BOHICA time on top of turdalicious graphics. Ease up, guys, this is ****ing Halo. This is a top shelf franchise, have some faith. That or bookmark this thread for complete and utter ownage next year. :lol PEACE.

GhaleonEB

Pimpwerx said:
I don't know why this game is being trolled so bad. Yeah, it's a flagship title for a rival system, but not even GT:HD got trolled this bad, and it had BOHICA time on top of turdalicious graphics. Ease up, guys, this is ****ing Halo. This is a top shelf franchise, have some faith. That or bookmark this thread for complete and utter ownage next year. :lol PEACE.
Usual Halo trolls + raised hackles over system launches = fun fun fun

This thread has been a goldmine of :lol

GreekWolf

Baryn said:
Come on... you've read the story on the magazine scans, and are fully aware of Bungie's position on the current state of a pre-alpha build of the game. And yet, you immediately jump in, dismiss the notion that the game will look radically different a year from now, and then suggest that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is simply lying to themselves.

So yeah, I have no problems labeling you a troll. Your post, based on an illogical assumption, was designed to incite an emotional reaction, and that's precisely what you achieved. So why are you griping?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Bungie Weekly Update is up...

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?cid=9092

Pimpwerx said:

That's the whole beauty of it all - this is Halo - Bungie and the fans will have the last laugh, and all of the level-headed fans here already know this... it's going to crush all when it comes out...

fse

nah, its nice to have a thread just about Halo 3. Opinions about the graphics and stuff are fine and dandy. But obvious trollers are getting annoying.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
And that won’t be the only Halo 3 info this year… there are one or two surprises still to come.

Thats from the newest bungie update. wondering if we are gonna get even more info before 2006 is over??? hopefully some gameplay vids or something. I hope for single player info.

Top Bottom