• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

At a glance... first impression: Hmm....

Upon looking into this further....... *Drool*

People that say this or that about an unfinished game..... classic. You should earn the tag of forever dumb.

GhaleonEB

VictimOfGrief said:
At a glance... first impression: Hmm....

Upon looking into this further....... *Drool*

People that say this or that about an unfinished game..... classic. You should earn the tag of forever dumb.
That's what gets me. How many times has GAF gone off on unfinished or early games in the past year alone and gotten owned in the process? Too many to name. And it looks this good at what's probably a year from release. In. Sanity.

Chrono

Banned
I haven't read every post in this thread so could anyone just tell me if we're going to see new video any time soon...? I think I remember there were supposed to be videos part of the egm/1up halo 3 blowout right? Thanks in advance. :p

Tieno

H3-07.jpg

H3-09.jpg

There are my two favorite pics. A few weeks ago I was lamenting the lack of snow in Halo 2. This gives me some hope there's snow in the SP, at least there's snow in an MP map. I love it! Like that builing too, love the surface effects!
All those mp maps look really awesome, especially from a design point of view.

GhaleonEB

There's lots of cool details in those shots, but my favorite is how the Spartan is standing on the sloping ramp in the bottom right of the second shot above. Looks like the animation will be even better this time around.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
There's lots of cool details in those shots, but my favorite is how the Spartan is standing on the sloping ramp in the bottom right of the second shot above. Looks like the animation will be even better this time around.
I noticed that too, but that could very well be 'posed' and not in the actual animation set.

GhaleonEB

Tieno said:
I noticed that too, but that could very well be 'posed' and not in the actual animation set.
I suppose, but it would be a first for Bungie's pics, having a character posed in what's presumably gameplay.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Proelite said:
The thing is will you have posted in this thread if Halo 3 had looked awesome?

Er, yeah? If I think it looks awesome then I will say "that looks awesome." If I don't I won't.

sprsk

GhaleonEB said:
how about this one then

There's a much, much bigger jump than the DOA3 --> 4

Youre comparing 2 different areas from, again 2 totally different perspectives. And again one of those perspectives is at a draw distance that leaves out ALOT of detail.

waxer

GhaleonEB said:
um...could you describe in more detail for me what mean by the above pics? :)
Nothing.Just trying to make a contradictory statement that would be fitting for this thread.
The first and second pic are the same.One is distorted crapily much like a magazine scan. the second pic however shows the same picture clearly. Did some uber amazing detail appear that wasnt there.........no. The magazine scans are just harder to see. Saying they are scans and heaps of detail isnt seen is kinda off imo. However saying that the jump between halo3 and halo2 is negligable is also kinda dumb.Theres a quite obvious difference most likely being held back mainly by where it is in development and the type of environments they show. Its just a shame that what is shown is really nice looking. There just aint much of it. The halo 2 shots have about as many trees and buildings they just dont look half as nice.
The pics of halo3 trailer which was realtime are a reminder that while everyone said wow back then, its strange to see the hate of a few scans that improve apon the trailer.Watching that trailer again.While very simple looking, if the final produt looks like that id be happy. Just give/show me new environments on earth.
Oh yeah and i just wanted to post a picture of halo2 with grass :)

GhaleonEB

sp0rsk said:
Youre comparing 2 different areas from, again 2 totally different perspectives. And again one of those perspectives is at a draw distance that leaves out ALOT of detail.
Two large, rocky areas from MP pams, from high up looking down. Not exact, but pretty close and certainly comparable enough to see the contrast.

At any rate, no point arguing when we don't have an apples-apples comparison. There should be some direct-capture shots in the next few weeks.

sp0rsk said:
That would only be true if we had a helicopter view of halo 3 as well, which we don't! The comparison is bullshit.

I don't wanna defend the initial comparison, but if you people want to prove a point do it with actual evidence, not some red herring screen shot that isn't representative of anything other than your passion for everything xbox.
now you're making no sense at all. those shots are very comparable in composition, at least close enough to tell the gargantuan leap in quality. wft

sprsk

Scrow said:
if anything that proves the point even moreso.

That would only be true if we had a helicopter view of halo 3 as well, which we don't! The comparison is bullshit.

I don't wanna defend the initial comparison, but if you people want to prove a point do it with actual evidence, not some red herring screen shot that isn't representative of anything other than your passion for everything xbox.

sprsk

GhaleonEB said:
At any rate, no point arguing when we don't have an apples-apples comparison. There should be some direct-capture shots in the next few weeks.

I agree somewhat. From my experiences with halo 2 and seeing these screens though, I did not notice much of a jump. There is nothing here that goes OH MAN NEXT GEN, HALO 2 LOOKS LIKE CRAP! To me it looks like still a modest upgrade(at this point!).

Also I'd like to point out that the screenshot for halo 2 implies that that structure is one of the more complex things from halo 2 and we all know that ain't the case.

GhaleonEB

sp0rsk said:
I agree somewhat. From my experiences with halo 2 and seeing these screens though, I did not notice much of a jump. There is nothing here that goes OH MAN NEXT GEN, HALO 2 LOOKS LIKE CRAP! To me it looks like still a modest upgrade(at this point!).
I don't see anything mindblowing, but it looks good, and way better than H2, IMO. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, for now. :)

Mr Wispy

My god, some of you are so stupid.
Was Halo a good looking game?
Was Halo 2 a good looking game?

Why on earth would Bungie fail to make Halo 3 a great looking game given its track record.
Halo 2 was one of the best looking games on Xbox.
Sheesh.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sp0rsk said:
You said it yourself. The Halo 3 screen is viewed much closer up than the Battlefield 2 screen and yet Halo 3 clearly looks better (duh). If something on closer inspection stands up better to scrutiny than something viewed from a distance doesn't that indeed prove the point moreso than detract from it like you said?

Orlics

Mr Wispy said:
My god, some of you are so stupid.
Was Halo a good looking game?
Was Halo 2 a good looking game?

Why on earth would Bungie fail to make Halo 3 a great looking game given its track record.
Halo 2 was one of the best looking games on Xbox.
Sheesh.

Did he get banned for this? o_O

Or is that one of those confusing custom titles?

sprsk

Scrow said:
You said it yourself. The Halo 3 screen is viewed much closer up than the Battlefield 2 screen and yet Halo 3 clearly looks better (duh). If something on closer inspection stands up better to scrutiny than something viewed from a distance doesn't that indeed prove the point moreso than detract from it like you said?

Kabouter

Scrow said:

waxer

I think certain companies have already proven that being at the top last gen doesnt mean the same with the new hardware. And certain other companies have proven that showing stuff early is a bad thing. The real question is. Why always on 360? Seriously, do ms have different standards or regulations on whats being shown compared to other companies.

Love the logic btw. Not quite as good aas monty pythons proof that god doesnt exist.

fse

you could maybe warn people with big avatars methinks no?
hope it really was because of the avatar not the halo stuff. :\

sprsk

f_elz said:
hope it really was because of the avatar not the halo stuff. :\

There are warnings in the TOS and right above where you choose your avatar. Which as a junior member he should have seen, TWICE.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
f_elz said:
mods/admin have warned with sticky threads and announcements before. it's also in the TOS. message doesn't get through.

Hero

Bring back a Halo 1-esque pistol and Sidewinder Bungie.

Seriously, starting out with only a SMG in Halo 2 was the worst thing ever.

fse

Scrow said:
mods/admin have warned with sticky threads and announcements before. it's also in the TOS. message doesn't get through.

too bad they didn't see the warning then hahaa.

squicken

FFS people use the ignore function. Although it's limited, it can make these threads somewhat readable. In fact, these threads are sort of a easy way to construct a nice list.

Tieno

Those man cannons are going to be a lot of fun for clay pigeon shooting...PULL! Especially now that it may be possible to easily record your own gameplay.

H3-02.jpg

MarkMacD

To sum up the thread: Halo fans, you should be excited as hell.

Everyone else: Shouldn't you be preparing your notes for Zelda? That grass isn't going to critque itself!

Tieno

MarkMacD said:

Everyone else: Shouldn't you be preparing your notes for Zelda? That grass isn't going to critque itself!
Who at 1up are big halo fans, besides Luke?

MarkMacD said:

what if I dont like zelda either

o_O

Mato

I think those look awesome and I'm not even a Halo fan, but my disappointment about next gen being awfully short on polygons lives on.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wait, wtf? I didn't know Halo 3 was gonna include the Battle Rifle from Halo 2 too as shown in this pic:

H3-09.jpg

Awesome :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I still cannot believe how anyone can't see the huge jump from Blood Gulch in Halo 2 to the new level based on those comparison pics... come on...

Even IF the Blood Gulch pic is zoomed out, if you've played Blood Gulch (that is, if you've ever played Halo 2 that is), you'd know the difference is huge...

But yeah...

COCKLES

being watched
Halo 3 will kick arse.

Anyone who thinks otherwise go and find another hobby...

...or buy a PS3 where you can revel in the genericness of Resistance.

Kabouter

MarkMacD said:

No, I'm going to critique a lack of grass in F.E.A.R. man.

Top Bottom